Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspiration Friday 2016: Thousand Sons (until 1/13)

- - - - - Inspiration Friday Inspiration Friday 2016 fanfiction Chaos Writing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
470 replies to this topic

EesiOh

EesiOh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 281 posts

med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png

I thank you for your many excellent entries in Chaos Flyers over the last two weeks. I must admit I have not yet read them all but look forward to doing so smile.png

I'm posting this a little early as I will be busy tomorrow, however there may still be some entries to come, so IF: Chaos Flyers is not closed until ten hours from the time of this message's posting. After that it will be closed for the purposes of rewards (though, as always, if you have more tales to tell feel free to post them at any time).

Here begins our nineteenth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016:

Schism

The White Scars found their ranks divided early in the Heresy, there were Iron Warriors who refused to follow Perturabo and there are always those who – perhaps foolishly – hold fast to ideals which brethren have since trodden into the dirt while choosing to embrace higher powers. There are those who hear the call of deities other than, and perhaps even rival to, that which the legion or warband follows.

Tell us this week a tale of these individuals who opposed their legion or chapter’s fall or those who are drawn to gods other than those of the majority. Tell us of their loyalty, their struggles and their fates. Are they accepted, exploited...or expunged?

Inspirational Friday: Schism runs until the 1st of July.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Carrack. And to the victor chosen by Carrack, step forward and claim your Octed Amulet:

gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

So submissions are now closed yes? 

The Archangels: Scions of Sanguinious striving for perfection

The Impure: Not even the transhuman physiology of the Space Marines can save you from the zombie plague

The Silent Laughter: The road to damnation is paved with the best intentions 

gallery_48988_6285_81894.pngI gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Chaos Fliers

My usual disclaimer applies. I love this contest, and the setting of the Grim Dark Millennia, but I have the unused education of an east Texan student athlete, and I haven't written much more than my name on counseling statements, until I joined this forum a few years ago. :) So take what I say with a grain of salt and forgive my butchering of writing terminology.

Scourged - Superiority

What struck me most about this story, was the contrast between Tempus and Tekla. Both are well written in their own way. Tempus is a gritty, professional, and a hardened veteran. He has the fatalism of a man who is merely annoyed by his comrades dying noisily, the contempt for rear echelon of a frontline fighter, and the wherewithal to call in a six digit grid coordinate of a professional. The quarks in his dialect are a nice touch too.

Tekla however, is a highly skilled pilot, who not just shoots down two gunships, but takes one down in an awesome way that shows her inhuman timing and judgment, and that's before we really meet her. When we meet her she is a driven and devout chaos worshiper, willing to undergo horrific sacrifices to gain the gifts of the gods.

The transition between the two characters, one that I could identify, to another that is well written, but utterly inhuman, fascinated me. Also, the moment of transition from when who was the character driving the story, the moment that Tempus hears the arrival of the Hell Blade, was so well described, it was poetic.

Warsmith Aznable - The Silence of Space

This story impressed me with the details that added so much to the story. It was basically an action story about a chaos marine pilot, but it was rich with little tidbits of details that made a sci fi action story very believable. For instance, some of the terminology in the story like, nape of the earth, and aileron roll, helped me immerse in the story. Likewise, the pilot's attitude seemed like the way pilots have always been, cocky, elite, even resentful of walking like a grunt. I can tell that Warsmith did his research, or is well read, experienced, or otherwise knowledgeable on the material he used in this story.

Another good point of the story, was how seamlessly it fit into a larger tale. It was a story about one mission in a larger campaign, but more than that, the mission fit into a larger plan, it didn't feel like something written as a throwaway story.

EesiOh - Untitled

I liked the concept behind the 17th Wild Hunt. The enraged daemon prince, charging through fire as he led his horde of daemons, cultists, and mutants, evoked a primal imagery in my mind. The Wild Hunt seemed bestial and mythological, as much an expression of something primitive, as an actual fighting force, and this is an excellent take on chaos in my opinion. The dragon compliments this perfectly.

The ending was good too. I liked how it showed the ties that bind the army together. Where Cernunos had followers who had been with him from the beginning, he also had a pact with Fearghal, and in the end, an offer for a more permanent inclusion in the Wild Hunt.

Squigsqusher - Blight

For me, the strengths of this story was its tone. The story started out with a healthy bit of suspense. The evil was out there, all around, but hidden. I know they are completely different things, but I was reminded of the first Jaws movie where you know the shark is in the water, and it has bad intentions, but the time it takes before biting some foolish swimmer makes the attack so much better. The sisters were prepared for the enemy but still surprised. Then when you think they got a handle on it, the real enemy shows up.

The other tone was that of horror. The Blight Drones were evil, not just a construct. The defeat and capture of the sisters was horrific. I have to admit that I liked the suspense better than the horror, but the horror was good too.

Kierdale - Purity of Purpose

The Fall of the Stygian Guard, from the perspective of the techmarine pilot, Otathis.

In part one, I was impressed with the description of Otathis and Angra in the reclusium, as Otathis scourges himself with the pain glove. I came back to this after finishing the story and I think this was the key scene for the tale, at least in my opinion. At first I thought it was foreshadowing Otathis's fall to Slannesh with his over indulgence of the pain glove ritual, but it was deeper than that. It wasn't the desire for the intense sensation that signified something within him that was receptive to Slannesh, it was his quest for perfection, and this was carefully pulled out of him by Angra's questions, although I'm not sure that was his intent. It probably was. It was a great way to show Otathis's motivation in any event.

Part Three also had a memorable scene for me. The physical corruption of Raptor, and the corruption of its spirit, was well written, but Otathis's revelation of what he had become was particularly good. His response to his failure to reach perfection, and the realization that he was an enslaved monster, was suitably epic, but in grim, dark, fashion, he was denied an honorable death. If that's not enough, the fights were good as well.

Who wins? I choose Kierdale. I don't know if this is allowed, but I liked his story the best, and there were very good stories this contest. However, if our IF organizer wants to skip out on the judgment of his competition due to time constraints, and I hope he doesn't, my runner up would be Scourged.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
I shall graciously take that amulet! :D
It's been too long since I won one...and Scourged has plenty already :P ;)

And thank you for the commentary on entries, Carrack. It's always good to read. I must admit some sections of mine were a bit rushed (Otathis' realisation of what he had become, actually...but I'm glad it came over well) but I'm very happy with it overall

Just need to actually build him now.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
I just finished reading everyone's entries for last week and thoroughly enjoyed them :tu:

As we haven't had any entries for this week yet, would you prefer I make it a 2-week IF?

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

I should have mine posted by the end of the day today, maybe tomorrow. But if the others need the two weeks, that's fine with me.

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
The extra week sounds good to me.

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

I would vote for extra weeks as well, but I'm still sitting here looking at my last three half finished stories and betting it won't make much of a difference...

It will probably be months till I can read all yours as well, which is a shame.

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

As promised, here is mine for the week. I do apologize for length (again).

Spoiler

It's funny... normally my writing has been a way to expand upon the warband in my head, and those expansions lead to models and squads that I make. Those writings are the only reason I converted up a Dark Apostle to begin with, or bothered finishing a Terminator Lord. But this time was the other way around. I had the squad first, and had to justify their existence second. That made for a fun challenge.

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
Another week you shall have!

Teetengee, give us an entry! It feels like too long since your last.

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

Fine, have a thing msn-wink.gif:

Shattered:

Hidden Content

Edited by Teetengee, 30 June 2016 - 12:02 PM.

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
To Change the Black Maw
Spoiler

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
I thank you for your entries in Schism over the last two weeks.
I hereby close that topic for the purposes of rewards (though, as always, if you have more tales to tell feel free to post them at any time. I’ll be posting my own soon).

Here begins our twentieth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016, one of your own suggestions!
A Chaotic Alliance
A cohort of daemons, a warband of traitor or renegade marines or a turncoat Guard regiment is a formidable force, but sometimes their goals require them to ally themselves to other forces. To strike bargains and swear oaths to fight alongside those share their aims or those who might otherwise be their rivals or indeed their foes.
What brings these alliances into being? How well do the two parties trust one another and is that trust well placed?
I would have you tell us of an alliance your force has made with others, be they fellow pawns of the Infernal Powers, Xenos or even – could such blasphemy be possible even in a galaxy as insane as ours? – Imperial forces.
Is the alliance one of equal footing or is one the vassal, the hireling or the slave of the other? Willing or unwilling? Knowing or unknowing?
An additional aspect of Inspiration Friday: A Chaotic Alliance is that I encourage members to cooperate in the writing of pieces!
Accordingly, judgement of the twenty first challenge of Inspiration Friday 2016 will be shared between the winners of this challenge.

Inspirational Friday: A Chaotic Alliance runs until the 22nd of July (unless you think three weeks are needed? What say you?)

Let us be inspired.
Now go find your prom dates, unless you’re a lone wolf-type msn-wink.gif

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge:…me! I’ll be posting my comments and awarding the amulet later today. To the victor chosen by my facinorous self, step forward and claim your Octed Amulet:

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
My Schism entry:

For Not Being Able To Save Him
One
Hidden Content

Two
Hidden Content

Three
Hidden Content

That many of my stories jump about the Psychopomps `timeline` a lot (I’ve been enjoying writing these last two back in their `just being corrupted` days) has given me an idea for a companion thread to Inspiration Friday.
Keep your eyes peeled...

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,669 posts

I'm not sure how polished this is. It seems OK to me. I wrote most of it months age, but seeing this latest prompt made me want to fix it up, especially the ending. It's not very long, but I am happy with it. This concept took me a while to get on paper. One might even say it followed a . . . twisting path. biggrin.png

I'm pretty sure this fits the description of the competition, but let me know if it doesn't. Regardless, this is my entry for Inspirational Friday: A Chaotic Alliance

I hope you enjoy it!

Whisper in the Wind

The great daemon prince Kazar’drad sat in contemplation, endless warp eddies swirling before his eyes. A hint of a thought began in his mind: one amongst nine thousand, unnoticed, imperfect, incomplete. The nascent thought grew. It became a twisting lattice of improbable connections and inconceivable intricacy. As its beauty unfolded a slow smile grew on the lips of the ancient daemon.

023.M36

“Brothers, today is the day! Today we summon forth the master from the warp! Power and riches will befall us, and our names will be passed down through all of eternity; begin the Ritual!” Nine wicked knives fall, and the rays of a nine-pointed star are steeped in blood. A blue mist coalesces in the center of the rune, its tendrils whispering of things unimagined in a tongue beyond comprehension. A titanic, shadowy figure slowly appears from within the mist, the whispers become a roar as bright embers jump into its eyes; then, silence. The hulking form looms over the cultists. They begin to chant. Bright strands of lightning branch from the daemon’s fingers toward the nine, it cuts their ritual short as they are drawn into the jaws of the warp. Their devotion has been rewarded.

The daemon hoards of Daraur rage across the world of Mazan. Kazar’drad sits once more in contemplation, this time from atop a mound of sundered rockcrete and ceramite. The resistance is as feeble as he had known it would be. The world burns as the last pockets of mortal life are crushed from existence. Soon all is dust.

While the memories of mortal achievement settle as ash to the ground, Kazar’drad walks the barren plains. Periodically he stoops to pick up and examine some piece of scrap or another, only to place it back exactly from whence it came. For nine times nine days he searches, and his hoards have dispersed back to the endless tunnels of Daraur. For nine days more he sifts the ruin he has wrought, and finally he becomes still. On a continent across an empty sea the final speck of dust settles in timeless perfection to the ground, just as the great daemon lifts a scorched bolt pistol from the ground. Gingerly he opens its casing and examines the contents. After a few moments the casing is closed and the pistol is back beneath the ashes. Kazar’drad dissipates back to his throne in the warp on the sound of an imagined gust of wind. Not a single footprint remains to mark his passing.

729.M41

Klugan hummed happily to himself as he walked the roads of Kalta. After twenty-seven years of preaching and pleading he had finally managed to craft a lasting peace on his home planet. Cardinal Marisworth himself was coming to meet him, and the planetary governor had just last week presented to him an ornate bolt pistol, which he had been told was several millennia old. The elderly preacher had never been much of a warrior, but had gladly replaced his battered old autopistol with the gilded bolt weapon. He hefted it; it felt good in his hand. The precision of its aim was remarkable. He had found that he could track a target with it as accurately as he had with his old hunting rife. The roaming packs of zothai that had preyed on his family’s livestock had given him ample target practice, but that had been long ago.

Three days later, Klugan watched the Cardinal’s shuttle land in Pelengal. He still couldn’t believe that the venerable servant of the Emperor, warden of the souls of a hundred worlds, was here to se him. As he waved to the Cardinal and shouted a greeting over the throbbing roar of the shuttle’s engines, Klugan noticed something. A man was running toward the Cardinal from the other side of the shuttle pad, waving a knife! Klugan shouted a warning and drew his bolt pistol, carefully taking aim and bracing the weapon with both hands. The assailant was rapidly approaching the Cardinal from behind, and his guards didn’t seem to notice. One of them noticed him, however, his eyes widening, as he shouted a warning. Did they not see that the Cardinal’s life was in danger? The guards ran toward him. What where they doing? Klugan took his shot.

As he pulled the trigger, he felt the weapon jump to the left, toward the Cardinal. The bolt slammed into the corpulent old man, detonating in his chest cavity and splitting him in two. Klugan dropped the pistol in shock. He had just killed Cardinal Marisworth. How could this happen? Even though Klugan was no soldier, he had always prided himself on his excellent aim. And the assassin? He was waving an ornate pen. He was a reporter. Klugan fell to his knees and began to sob as the guards closed in, and the wind whispered through the streets of Pelengal.

Instances of 9 that are not obvious:

Spoiler

Edited by Servant of Dante, 09 July 2016 - 02:59 AM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
Judgement time.
Herein lies my rapid fire commentary, written while reading.

Scourged gave us Hopeless.I loved the camaraderie and banter between the four Scourged marines, and the fact that they openly discussed planning to overthrow their squad champion at some point in the future.
I liked that Rahaund’ul viewed Nurgle worship as slavery, and I love the name `Poxhost`. Having the acolyte given the permanent duty of containing the taint was also a great touch. Tenemus’al’s preaching of Grandfather Nurgle’s ability to rid the marines of the Curse was also extremely well written and convincing. It was interesting that Rahaund’ul finally decided to spare, or rather to keep, the Nurglites. I look forward to seeing how they are...used.

Teetengee gave us Shattered. Too short, brother, too short! I was left hungry (but as a Slaaneshi, aren’t I always?). I’d love to hear more of the trauma which must have torn the Sons of Horus after their retreat into the Eye.
I did love the final line though. smile.png

Carrack gave us To Change The Black Maw. That the daemon’s speech was accompanied by coloured mists was a very interesting and otherworldly detail. Good imagination. The description of his departure too. I liked the scheming and the reasoning behind the planned overthrowing of lord Carrack. Kadesh’ prophetic vision was well done, both suitably mysterious and confusing.
I think I would have liked to hear how Kadesh lost his limb and got the lamprey one (or perhaps I missed that in a previous story?). And hear how and why Kadesh follows captain Macar. Is it merely because the captain is the highest ranking and strongest Tzeentch-devotee in the band? Does Kadesh foster ambitions of overthrowing Macar once he had been made leader of the Maw?

I choose Scourged’s entry, Hopeless, as winner of Inspirational Friday: Schism. Teetengee’s left me wanting much more, Carrack’s felt like the seeds of a schism, the initial cracks, slowly spreading...but not enough to sate me. Hopeless gave me an excellent description of the corruption not only of a marine (willingly at that) but also his quarters, convincing preaching about the reasons for his conversion, and a most interesting response by his former brethren upon its discovery.
Scourged, step forward and claim your amulet!

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

It's a theme I want to deal with more, but this story was more about that line. Same words, different meaning is a concept Escharon has used repeatedly in the years since Terra, particularly in his dealings with the Black Legion in order to maintain his own identity. Additionally, it is difficult to write too much about Escharon's story in that time period, because he is supposed to be a somewhat unknown quantity even to his own forces in the 41st millennium. For instance, Escharon was a name he took after finding a more consistent center, which means any scene that the dialog would need to be reported in and that Escharon would be speaking with equals would have to be cut. (I have purposely avoided even naming his old self for myself, as it feels better and more true to the 40k universe to leave certain details out on occasion). Also, I am super busy these days, so that also affects things.

That's not to say I think your critique is invalid, I just wanted to give some context behind it. Plus, sometimes it is good to leave people wanting more as it won't (I promise) be the last time I write about these characters.

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

Coming back to the competition with the allies theme. Almost anyone can purchase the services of the 49th Grand Company, even Imperials. Someone a while ago said they wanted to see more of Inquisitor Dashwood, and here he makes a reappearance, continuing to use and be used by the forces of the Warsmith.

It is rather long, and not very action packed, but it highlights a piece of the puzzle so far as how the 49th operates beyond the Eye of Terror and the reach of Abaddon. In the most current unclassified annals of the Imperium of Man, the 49th Grand Company is known only as the Iron Hounds space marines chapter, with very little in their entry other than a short list of engagements providing assistance to Imperial worlds besieged by xenos. Few suspect the truth, or know what to do with it.

Hidden Content

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,240 posts

Rotten Body, Rotten Soul.

Spoiler

ztbmByp.png

I come here to discuss and find out about Warhammer 40,000 with people of every ethnicity, sexuality, country and yes, as sickening as it is, even Eldar players.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but monkeys do too, if they've got a gun." -Inquisitor Edmund Izzardos, on Jokaero.

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts

Salt of Fire

Spoiler

Edited by Carrack, 19 July 2016 - 05:05 AM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts

Some excellent entries!
I know that there is (at least) one more entry to come. A team effort, in fact...

And some may have noticed I opened a companion thread: Inspirational Friday: Timelines of Treachery for those who wish to organise their IF entries. I know I just about my warband's timeline a lot, so the thread is to help both readers and writers to get their heads around which stories come where. By all means please add your own timelines as and when you can :)

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
I thank you for your entries in Chaotic Alliance over the last two weeks.
I hereby close that topic for the purposes of rewards (though I know there’s at least one more to come).

Here begins our twenty first challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016:
Chaotic Rites
Rites and ceremonies. The Emperor’s Children would celebrate the coming victory upon the eve of the battle itself, the Dark Angels have their Feast of Malediction, the Imperial Fists their scrimshawing remembrance of fallen brothers. What are the ceremonies and rites carried out by your warband or regiment? What are their sources and purposes and how have they changed or been perverted over time? Are they in preparation for war, celebration or remembrance afterwards or do they have some other purpose?

Inspirational Friday: Chaotic Rites runs until the 29th of July

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Scourged. To the chosen victor: step forward and claim your Octed Amulet:

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

In terms of judgement, I'll more than likely get to that around Monday. I've been fighting off a mild case of Nurgle's affections the last couple of days. Blah.

Otherwise, on to the main course. In the spirit of alliance, Kierdale and I have spent the last couple of weeks collaborating on a joint effort. I can only speak for myself in the matter, but the experience was remarkably fun and led to a great deal of goo ideas. Too many of them, even! So, what happens when the Psychopomps and the Scourged get together and unite for a common goal? Find out in our joint story:

Crystal and Flesh

Part I: Mistaken Identity

Hidden Content

Part II: The Hunt Begins

Hidden Content

And the rest.

Part III: Heat of the Forge

Hidden Content

Part IV: The Spoils

Hidden Content

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
I too had much fun collaborating with Scourged on 'Crystal and Flesh' :tu: Many thanks again.

I hope we'll see more collaborations in IF in the future :)

KrautScientist

KrautScientist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,879 posts

Hey guys, so I've never taken part in this particular part of the forum, which is an enormous oversight of my part, of course. But when I peeked my head in here earlier today, I realised that the current subject perfectly fits a piece of background that I wrote to further flesh out the warrior culture behind my World Eaters army, Khorne's Eternal Hunt. So here goes:

Rites of Passage

Spoiler

Edited by KrautScientist, 23 July 2016 - 02:26 PM.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Good entries, all. They were enjoyable to read. But only one can win:

Squigsquasher, I felt your entry best exemplified the theme for the week, and thus I present you with the Octed.