Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspiration Friday 2016: Thousand Sons (until 1/13)

- - - - - Inspiration Friday Inspiration Friday 2016 fanfiction Chaos Writing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
470 replies to this topic

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,240 posts

Thank you very much! biggrin.png (I was supposed to just add the amulet myself, wasn't I?)

Edited by Squigsquasher, 25 July 2016 - 07:51 PM.

ztbmByp.png

I come here to discuss and find out about Warhammer 40,000 with people of every ethnicity, sexuality, country and yes, as sickening as it is, even Eldar players.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but monkeys do too, if they've got a gun." -Inquisitor Edmund Izzardos, on Jokaero.

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,669 posts

Not sure what I would have done if I had somehow won . . .

No way I'm putting a chaos star in my signature!

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
I forgot to post my own comments on the last IF entries, so will do now:
Servant of Dante gave us Whisper in the Wind. I thoroughly enjoyed this piece though perhaps it would have been more suitable for the Tzeentch-themed IF of a couple of weeks ago. Still, a great read and I look forward to more of your work as your corruption progresses.
You know it’s inevitable.

Warsmith Aznable answered a call for more of inquisitor Dashwood! And did not disappoint! I’ll add that the Slaaneshi in me adored the decadence of the governor’s court.
And that last line...”The ends justify the means”...just happens to be the theme of a future IF...
Quite prophetic.

Squigsquasher’s Rotten body, rotten soul started with an excellently detailed description of three high champions of Chaos. Lord Patroklos’ reaction to the chamber of rot was a great view from the eyes of one devoted to the Dark Prince. The descriptions of the Nurglites were equally well written and I hope we can read about the assault upon Tor XV in a future Inspirational Friday.

Carrack’s submission, Salt of fire gave us the most interesting Gelvira the Scroll and Jergal of the Word Bearers chapter of the Broken Seal, fighting alongside lord Carrack’s Black Maw. The description of Gelvira, her birth and the zeal of the Word Bearers was truly fantastic.

Finally Scourged and myself gave you Crystal and Flesh, a tale of the Scourged and Psychopomps, after an initial (and rather bloody) case of mistaken identity, cooperating to take down a sorcerer of the Thousand Sons and his rubricae squad, each for their own purposes. It was great fun to work together and I look forward to seeing how each warband makes use of its prize...

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
My entry for this week.

The Fate of the Captive
Hidden Content

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Rites of the Chosen

Spoiler

Zhaharek

Zhaharek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
I'm back.

gallery_63428_7083_6894.png gallery_63428_7083_6894.png gallery_63428_7083_6894.png gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Zhaharek

Zhaharek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
The 18th Hall

Mirrors had always held a certain significance to Rasziel. Why, he was not certain, as he had never had a penchant for introspection. Nor had they ever been a component in his many sorceries: he preferred dead flesh. Fangs from xeno creatures, flayed skin parchment, crystallised eyes and bits of bone suited his psykana. Yet mirrors had always seemed to draw his attention, the broken shard at his feet no exception. Perhaps it was just vanity. A moment passed. He pulled his gaze away from the shattered looking glass, and back to the cavernous hall in which he stood. The thralls behind him shifted nervously.

The 18th Hall held no glory in that moment, but Rasziel knew that in a few hours it would bear an unfathomable power, when the rite began. It would have to be cleaned first. Broken glass littered the marble floor and rags bundled in the corners. Rasziel swore he could smell a corpse, the rotten fruit and faeces stench of it lazy in the air. He wrinkled his nose.

The thralls that stood behind him were degenerate things, blood and vomit staining the purple robes they wore over their blubbery forms, faces mercifully obscured by masks resemblant of gulping fish, scaled and gormless. Rasziel pointed at the nearest one, a plump female with a line of old blood stained below the left nostril of her mask. "You. Cleanse it all before I return," she nodded hurriedly as he spoke and began to direct her fellows around the room with shrill little barks. Rasziel wondered if Astartes regarded mortals the way he regarded these... Scum. He left them to their work, passing through the wide doors out of the hall, and into the corridors beyond.

He had a summoning ritual to prepare for.

The ritual began with a word. Yet "word" was too small a title for Rasziel was witnessing. For what he was part of.

"C'MATH'UIN."

Rasziel's robe was heavy on his shoulders as he kneeled, the bangles encircling his wrists clattering, and the charms and medallions about his throat began to throb, the motion echoing into his ribcage. His head was bowed, his eyes closed, - sharp pain in his temples slowly intensifying. With aching effort, he lifted his head, and opened his eyes.

"DRATH'A'GUIN."

The 18th Hall returned his gaze, as did its inhabitants. It's domed ceiling stretched high and far above, a sky of black marble. Censers the size of a man's torso hung from silver threads, smoke falling like rain, a downpour of twisting ash.

"CROSH'NATH'ACH."

The dome was held aloft by walls of polished blue glass. Before the ritual, the glass was mundane and faded, yet now it shone with a sickly light. As the radiant walls met the ground, the cerulean glass melded seamlessly into black marble once more. The whole hall was an immense sphere, it's colour a gradient from night black at its apex, to deep blue at its equator, terminating in onyx black at its subtly flattened base.

"DUR'THRI'GILITCH."

Within, at it's centre, at the base of The Hall, was a pool, a gold ringed pool filled with a foul smelling yellow fluid that was unerringly still even now, at the height of the ritual.
From without, The Hall called to mind nothing more than an immense drop of tainted ink. From within, it resembled some vile receptacle of caustic chemicals.
And now, at the moment of ritual, it was filled with blasphemous chanting.

"ES'MESET-RAN."

The chanting of The Ninefold Blade, the Warband to which Razsiel was sworn and beholden.
They were all in attendance.

"DI'RIATH'CURAIN."

21 Astartes, each clad in rune-marked robes, their armour foregone in favour of sorcerous trappings, drifted above the untouched pool, held aloft by nothing but will. Rasziel looked up to them, watching their mighty forms languidly slide through the air. He recognised a few. Amuk'ran, eyes aglow, pale tattoos stark against darkened flesh, his limbs held out in a cruciform. Dahzaran, out of place without a huge weapon by side, his immense fists curling and twisting as his six eyes blinked and flickered. Rasziel shuddered to think what heights of power could test an Astartes to such degree.

"YG. NASTOTH NASTITH."

Far beneath the Astartes, kneeling, heads bowed, and lips blurring with dread syllables, were the mortals of The Ninefold Blade, arrayed in circles, radiating out from the pool. Among them, Rasziel, his heart pounding with power. He looked to his left. A man with lank hair crumpled and twisted beneath an emerald cowl as light spilt from his mouth.

"SED'RRIRATH."

Rasziel looked to his right and saw a young girl swaying back and forth, her teeth gritted against her own power, her eyes blazing like coals.

"GRIS'IKAEN, MO'DO'MORATH."

Rasziel steeled himself, the air rippling about him. Whispers gushed into his mind like an unbound river, and he tore his mouth open and joined the chant.

"DAEL'MORIATH'ZEKARAEL!"

The pool rippled.
The air stank of burnt hair and saltwater.
A claw burst the surface of the pool, ripping through a membrane atop the liquid. It slammed into the brim of the pool, and darkened head breached the surface, followed by a pair of maddened eyes.
The daemon shrieked. It twisted and writhed as acid yellow runes seared into its gunmetal flesh, it's teeth flickering and warping, iridescent flame coruscating in its eyes. It looked right at him. Right at Rasziel.
Then, it tore free of the pool. Kicked its shifting legs, and swam into the air, shrieking.

A second joined it, clawing and gibbering. Then an other. And an other. Until the air was swarming with shrieking, hollering daemons.
Rasziel heard distant laughter from above, from a point higher than the Astartes, as the now roiling pool at the centre of The 18th Hall roared.

The laughter halted, and Rasziel heard a voice call out.

"IT HAS BEGUN."

gallery_63428_7083_6894.png gallery_63428_7083_6894.png gallery_63428_7083_6894.png gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts

med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
I thank you for your entries in Chaos Rites over the last week.
As well as entries from regulars it was good to see the return of Zhaharek and a first entry from KrautScientist (hopefully the first of many).
I hereby close that topic for the purposes of rewards (though as always if you have more entries on the topic of Chaos Rites, please post them at any time, with a suitable note in the post's title).

Here begins our twenty second challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016:
Retro Chaos
In July of 1996 the 2nd edition Chaos Space Marine codex was released and accordingly this week's Inspirational Friday (as well as Daemon Forge from July 23rd to August 27th) is dedicated to retro Chaos in all its flavours (particularly first and second edition... stretch as far as third edition Kai guns and the Eye of Terror if you're especially naughty).
Peruse the hallowed Realm of Chaos tomes, Rogue Trader, the old Codexes and fluff and give us a piece to bring tears of nostalgia to our eyes.

Inspirational Friday: Retro Chaos runs until the 5th of August.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Squigsquasher. To the chosen victor: step forward and claim your Octed Amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts
I'm not sure I understand this theme. You want the narrative focus to be on old codex wargear?

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
Not necessarily old wargear but anything from the 1st and 2nd editions of 40k (or, at a stretch, 3rd). Wargear, units, characters, battles, fluff. Have your CSM battling squats if you wish ;)

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Well that'll be a bit of a challenge. I've only been at all of this for a couple years. Don't quite have the knowledge (or books) of the old days. Hell, I wasn't even around for the gilded age of 3.5. 

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
Trawling Lexicanum you can get an idea of what was around back then. A fair few models were released then. Most of the big name ex-legion characters came about then. Perhaps some characters we don't see now (Doomrider :( ).
There are of course other places on the net you can find old codexes. I'll neither mention nor recommend any names, but I'm sure those who know, know.

Or, give me three rolls of a D100 and I'll give you one of the random plot hooks (and a sub plot) from the first edition rulebook for you to Chaosify ;)

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

I doubt I will get to this soon, but would a story bringing a old thing into modern setting (even if piggybacking off of official type stuff) be ok?

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Hm. I'll peruse the recommended places at work and see if inspiration hits me. I'm due for a story after taking the week off. Old vs. New is a trope I do like to explore. 

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts

I doubt I will get to this soon, but would a story bringing a old thing into modern setting (even if piggybacking off of official type stuff) be ok?

Sounds great.
I don't think we're that strict in IF anyway. If you get inspired by something, even going off topic, I'm sure we want to read about it anyway :)

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
Telling Tales
Hidden Content

After settling on a `subject` I realized it was 3rd edition, but anyway it was fun to write. msn-wink.gif

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,240 posts

Every entry was quite fantastic, but there can only be one.

It was a tough call, but I have to give the win to KrautScientist. His piece, detailing the funeral rites of the Eternal Hunt, was quite superb, giving an almost humanizing element to the World Eaters. Step forth and claim your Octed Amulet, KrautScientist.

ztbmByp.png

I come here to discuss and find out about Warhammer 40,000 with people of every ethnicity, sexuality, country and yes, as sickening as it is, even Eldar players.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but monkeys do too, if they've got a gun." -Inquisitor Edmund Izzardos, on Jokaero.

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

KrautScientist

KrautScientist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,879 posts

Oh my, what a fantasic surprise! Especially given the strong competition! Thank you very much, Squiqsquasher, this is quite an honour!

It's great to hear that my attempt at "humanising", for lack of a better word, my World Eaters seems to have come across in the piece: The members of the 4th have been trying their utmost to keep the damnation that has claimed their legion at bay, clinging to what honour and scraps of mongrel warrior culture they can, while certainly only staving off the inevitable. It's a tough balance to maintain in the conceptualisation of the force, and I am doing my best not to turn them into Mary Sues in the process ;)

Anyway, thanks again, and I am really looking forward to whatever you guys come up with for the Retro Chaos subject! :)

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

I wrote a thing, although I have had trouble figuring out how/when to end stories these days. Still, have at thee:

Huntsman

Hidden Content

unless you know of the events of a recent white scars story, this will probably make no sense, sorry
Spoiler

Edited by Teetengee, 03 August 2016 - 11:50 AM.

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
Teetengee, that was fantastic.
I need to model that.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Hm. I've stumbled too deep into the rabbit hole. That Champions of Chaos set of tables and such from Realm of Chaos is so deliciously good. I may or may not be trying to tweak and rework it to make a Renegades and Heretics style Path to Glory. Or something that nature. I have seen the light, and it is beautiful.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Vehicle to Glory

Spoiler

Note.
Spoiler

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
A second one as I had time and wanted to give it a go...

Other’s Concerns
Hidden Content

I rolled up a random plot from the 1st edition (Rogue Trader) plot generator and a sub-plot...and threw in a Space Crusade mini for good measure. msn-wink.gif

The plot gen rolls
Hidden Content

That was rather fun, actually. Would anyone like it done as an IF topic sometime?

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,802 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
I thank you for your entries in Retro Chaos over the last week.
Not a lot of entries, I guess some of you didn’t start the hobby back in the 80s and 90s! biggrin.png At the very least I hope the topic got members to search for old fluff. It got me to crack open my copy of Rogue Trader and Slaves to Darkness, which is always a good thing, though I regret not being able to work Catachan brain-leaves and face-eaters, Cthellean cudbears, ferro-beasts, sunworms, crotalids, ambulls or pterra-squirrels into my entries. Nor a Stegatank. Or a Hellbore. Aaaah!
Thanks to Teetengee for his entry Huntsman featuring everyone’s favourite (now headless) Slaaneshi biker. Truly inspirational.
I hereby vow to make a headless Doomrider within the next year..
And thanks to Carrack for Vehicle To Glory, showing us that Chaos dreadnoughts have never been reliable biggrin.png
Similar to Teetengee, I gave you a doomrider piece with Telling Tales – though whether Cythesai can be believed or not is another question...and Other’s Concerns, based on a random plot generated from the Rogue Trader book, with references to some old minis thrown in.

I hereby close that topic for the purposes of rewards (though as always if you have more entries on the topic please post them at any time, with a suitable note in the post’s title).

Here begins our twenty third challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016:
ETL Model
On Monday the 15th of August 2016 E Tenebrae Lux V will finish (hopefully with a glorious third straight win for Chaos). The 23rd challenge of IF is to give us a fluff piece about one or more of the models you completed (or failed to complete) for this year’s ETL.
If you did not take part in the ETL then why the bloody hell not?! Leave your head at the door give us a write-up about a recently completed model.

Inspirational Friday: ETL Model runs until the 19th of August

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: KrautScientist. To the chosen victor: step forward and claim your Octed Amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

KrautScientist

KrautScientist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,879 posts

Alright, guys, this has been very enjoyable indeed! Great job all around! I've been part of the hobby since the early 90s myself (and tentatively got into 40k proper around the mid-90s, I would say), so most of the stuff I read did make sense to me and gave me delicious nostalgia goosebumps msn-wink.gif

As for the stories themselves:

Kierdale's Telling Tales is very well written and really really brings Doomrider into the current style of the lore without sacrificing some of the character's inherent corniness, which is key! There's also a dash of Mad Max: Fury Road in the closing paragraphs (you almost expect Doomrider to go all like "You shall ride eternal, shiny and chrome!). Anyway, an excellent read all around!

The Doomrider extravaganza continues with Teetengee's Huntsman. The story injects a bit of dark humour that really suits the character and certainly made me giggle! The story's one minor shortcoming is that it really kinda relies on knowledge of the short story that inspired it for the full payoff -- especially that bit about Doomrider launching an attack on the alabaster armoured opponent in the last parapgraph. That's a particularly nice shout out to the story that inspired this piece!

Carrack's "Vehicle to Glory" channels a part of the lore (and the rules!) every long time chaos player will be intimately familiar with: A Chaos Dreadnought blowing a fuse has ruined more than one of my personal battle plans. What I really loved about the story was the stream of consciousness we get from the Dreadnought himself. Nit an easy part to get right, but Carrack really nailed it!

And lastly, there is Kierdale once again, with Other's Concerns: I can't believe the lenghts he has gone to to truly achieve a retro effect by actually using the old plot tables! Nuts! Even more astonishing is the fact that he has managed to create a well-crafted tail out of it all once more. The reveal with the Striking Scorpions wiping out the poor Imperials really beautifully channels the "Only War" feeling of the soundbites that would appear all over the various sourcebooks and Codices in days of yore -- and the guest role for the old Space Crusade Dreadnought has been well and duly noted msn-wink.gif

So whom to choose....hmmm...

They were all great and worthy contenders, that much is certain! In the end, it was really a neck and neck between "Telling Tales" and "Vehicle to Glory", and after much consideration, I'll have to hand the octed amulet to Carrack: The soundbite from the Dreadnought's own perspective was what really sealed the deal for me, and the story also beautifully encapsulated the fickle nature of chaos that will lead to its followers turning on each other as often as not. Congratulations, Carrack! And thanks for the excellent reads, guys!

+ I AM KHARFUS! +

Regarding the next subject, I make a point of writing a piece of fluff for pretty much each of my characters, so this one was easy. Meet Apothecary Dumah:

Spoiler

I also have a 30k version of this guy, and as soon as the model is painted, I think there will be a short piece of fiction describing how Dumah sought to save his company, even while the Betrayal of the early Horus Heresy turned Isstvan III into a blasted hellscape...

Edited by KrautScientist, 06 August 2016 - 01:46 PM.