Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspiration Friday 2016: Thousand Sons (until 1/13)

- - - - - Inspiration Friday Inspiration Friday 2016 fanfiction Chaos Writing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
470 replies to this topic

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

Erm...my story was about a 21st/Cursed Founding Chapter/warband called the Bahltimyr Reavers. Their geneseed was Raven Guard.Looks like I didn't explain that very well :(

Kind of the same reaction here since the idea was a Blood Angels Successor I left unnamed that had its Death Company being possessed by a Daemon who was slowly using the visions to twist the Chapter. Similar amount of success in that respect as well I guess lol.
No, I got all that. The judging was written in-character of someone who marks no difference between the Legions and their descendants. Sorry for any confusion it caused.

Edited by Warsmith Aznable, 30 January 2016 - 04:56 PM.

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

Kol Saresk

Kol Saresk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,014 posts
Ah, fair enough. Makes me feel better about my writing capabilities lol.

Nostraman_zpsf4be09e4.pnggallery_29004_9303_9178.pnggallery_29004_9303_5366.pngfriday-award.png

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,555 posts

Ah, fair enough. Makes me feel better about my writing capabilities lol.

+1

And that does make sense smile.png

In the darkness between the stars, the weak and the faithless find no deliverance. We are raised to believe that the God-Emperor watches over us all. And so we are charged to cleanse the mutant, the heretic and the alien. We must not falter. We are His sword. We are His wrath. Even in the face of death, we shall not submit. Suffering is our prayer. Faith is our armour. In Battle He offers us redemption. And for those who proves their worth, the Emperor sends sends forth His Angels!

Diabolist

Diabolist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 151 posts

"Rein your beast!" the Dark Apostle said "we have already lost three helots to its rages and it risks to endanger the other beasts too. Do it Shorta, or I will do it for you!"

Shorta grinned but then thought better and lowered his gaze, it was not in his right to question the Dark Apostle and if it wouldn't be for the patronage of his master he would have never risen high in the esteem of Khorne, the Blood Hand of Chaos. 

Zurshakl was a temperamental steed, a spirited Juggernaut which never failed to amuse his Word Bearer rider with the sheer malice it exuded. A fine steed, a beast of blood and brass, savage and unpredictable, the avatar of Khorne's insatiable lust for violence. 

The floor shook, Shorta smiled, again the beasts were competing for leadership, charging, fighting, gouging, trampling anything and anyone in their vicinity. Although lost in the cavernous holds of the mighty battlecruiser, the Crucible was as much a ground of trials as it was a shrine to the eldest brother of the Four. 

The first thing greeting the Word Bearer were the remains of the trampled helots. Stacked in a gory pile outside the shrine, their mauled bodies were awaiting a servitor to retrieve them for the incinerator. A small tribute to the Bloody One, Shorta nodded as he entered the Crucible.

Reeking of blood and offal, the shrine was a temple to warriors of all creeds. Cages filled with combatants donned the roof of the chamber, the blood spilling from them elaborately pooling on the anvil upon which a Warpsmith was forging a weapon, thus honoring the god of battles.

At the end of the vast chamber, hidden behind a wall of spikes upon which the last offerings were bleeding their last, Shorta saw the ring. Five massive Juggernauts were butting their crested heads, heedless of the mortals observing them, intent on establishing the dominance of the pack.

"They are restless, they feel the wind of war blowing across the ship..." Mertak observed. A broad legionary, Mertak was the Sergeant of his coterie, a burly warrior who, it seems, took at heart the lessons learned from the Eaters of Worlds, so long ago. "They are always restless..." Shorta replied, and this was true. The Juggernauts never slept, never rested, for the beasts every breath was a challenge, every movement a threat, every step a provocation.

"The Dark Apostle wants them to stop" Shorta added. "He is welcome to try" Zerak joked coming from the other side of the ring, his crested helm in the crook of his arm. "Jest not brother, you know what happened the last time..." Shorta left the words hang in the air and his two brothers fell silent, remembering full well what punishment has befallen their coterie on that day. 

"I fancy not a ride chained on the back of my steed, brother, but the beasts are restless, Khorne calls to them, I feel it and I know you feel it too. They hunger for blood, HE hungers for blood..." Mertak grimly added and the other two nodded. 

"Than they shall have blood" a voice echoed in the Crucible and all turned toward the entrance. A massive figure clad in ancient terminator armor loomed under the archway and all the celebrants in the chamber fell on their knees. 

"Coryphaus" was all Shorta managed to say before the figure silenced him with a gesture of his hand. 

"The beasts are restless, aye, Khorne demands a tribute and we shall give him one to placate his ire. Gather your warriors Lieutenant, you will make planetfall within the hour." Shorta straightened himself and asked of his commander "Where to, lord, where shall the Brotherhood of the Axe descend, whom we hunt?" Mertak and Zerak closed their fists around their weapons, eager to be unleashed. 

"You will not hunt today Lieutenant, they will" and the Coryphaus pointed at the five Juggernauts tearing into each other in the ring. "They are creatures of the Blood God and their nostrils cavort only one scent, witch-scent. As we exit the Warp we will translate near the moon of Oplanis, an uninhabited planetoid save for a conclave of Astropaths, a relay temple. The Dark Apostle demands silence so he can listen to the song of the Neverborn undistubed. You will follow the witch-scent and finish with your axes what your beasts did not trample to death. Understood?"

"I will need more helots to corral the beasts into the lander, they wont survive." Shorta added. "You shall have a dozen of them, make them count Lieutenant or it is you who shall herd your mounts next time." 

Shorta grinned "a dozen will suffice my lord, more orders?"

"Yes, leave not a stone unturned, not a witch alive. That would be all lieutenant. Make haste, our lord Apostle is anxious to hear the song again."

Edited by Diabolist, 30 January 2016 - 10:54 PM.

gallery6342870836894.png

Chaos Space Marines series read: Iron Warriors, Night Lords, Word Bearers, Ahriman, Black Legion (ToH)

Horus Heresy books read: 34/34

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

-snip-

13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.

-snip-

YES! I call disturbing a daemon of Malal a win! Even if there shall be no octed to claim.biggrin.png devil.gif In fact, sigged.

Edited by Teetengee, 30 January 2016 - 11:23 PM.

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

EesiOh

EesiOh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 281 posts

I just had a much better thought for the Possessed challenge, I know that ship has flown but I wish to do a (hopefully) better re-entry. I'll make sure to title it as part of the Possessed Challenge so you dont get confused Captain Malachi

The Archangels: Scions of Sanguinious striving for perfection

The Impure: Not even the transhuman physiology of the Space Marines can save you from the zombie plague

The Silent Laughter: The road to damnation is paved with the best intentions 

gallery_48988_6285_81894.pngI gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
I'll be adding to the possessed challenge too. In my case I started in on part 2 of the story I posted, and like where it was going, but lacked the time to finish it up.

@Teetengee. I don't think a mother like that would be getting flowers, brunch, and hallmark cards on Morhers Day

Edited by Carrack, 31 January 2016 - 02:52 AM.

Captain Malachi

Captain Malachi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,865 posts

I'll make sure to ignore you two (unless you add another story later for the current challenge, of course) for the judging portion. Look forward to reading them though.

EesiOh

EesiOh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 281 posts

POSSESSED CHALLENGE

Kislev, Herald of Madness (looks like i've got me a new recouring character) 

Spoiler

Edited by EesiOh, 31 January 2016 - 09:18 AM.

The Impure: Not even the transhuman physiology of the Space Marines can save you from the zombie plague

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,658 posts

Discuss

Inquisitor Zisa sneered at the chained beast in front of her, though "beast" hardly described it accurately. Its form appeared more like an obscene melding of metal and flesh, but without any of the visible seams that usually indicated such a merging. Rather, the metal flowed into skin in certain places. Bone became iron at different points. All of it had seemed random and without direction when Zisa first beheld the writhing prisoner, but it had taken on a certain order in her mind the more she observed it.

The fact that the creature had already imparted something of its own nature heartened her. She had taken the Disc of Tzeentch quite literally out from under Lord Eusebios some weeks ago, after a failed attempt at apprehending that rogue sorcerer of The Scourged. While he had made good his escape, the fact that his trusted mount now floated before her filled Zisa with confidence. She knew that some of her peers took a dim view of capturing artifacts of the Great Enemy rather than destroying them outright, but the disc represented a possibility Zisa couldn't resist. 

<That's how it always starts, little human. You search for knowledge and reach too far, as your kind has done since the start of time itself.>

The sudden burst of foreign thought-speak into her mind didn't surprise Zisa. She know the disc could communicate with her in this way. It had done so infrequently over the past few weeks, but the implication that it could read something of her thoughts as well did catch Zisa unawares.

"I've no interest discussing my aims with you, thing. You exist to serve; first your God, then The Scourged, and now you serve me."

<And yet you are the slave here.>

"Truly? Why do you think that?"

<Because only you have the chain of free will around your neck. You are chained by the oldest lie the universe has.>

Zisa couldn't suppress a laugh at this remark. How could a creature, tied to such a vast intelligence as the Lord of Change, prove itself so stupid? She asked it as much.

<Consider, human. How many Inquisitors before you have captured a Neverborn? How many of them have emerged from their dungeons, servants of the dark gods?>

Zisa didn't answer. Inquisitorial records had plenty of instances of such heresies, but Zisa had examined as many of them as she could before committing to this interrogation. She had hoped she could avoid their same mistakes...

<But instead, you're overreached.>

Again, the Disc of Tzeentch proved it could read her thoughts. Zisa shook her head in defiance, unnerved by the creature's total command of the situation.

"You're not in control here!' she blurted angrily. 'I am!"

<Prove it.>

Zisa bared her teeth, like and animal standing over prey. She unsheathed the force sword at her side and set it aglow with the power of her own innate psychic talent. Moving closer to the chained daemon, she brandished the weapon threateningly, but the creature never flinched. 

Then, with a few swift and precise strokes of her sword, she cut the daemon free.

"Lower." She commanded the disc.

<As you say.> It responded into her mind, without any perceivable emotion. 

Zisa stepped onto the disc without a moment of hesitation. The thing felt right under her. Despite its innate defiance of gravity, the union of the bottom of her feet and the top of the disc felt as secure as any surface Zisa had ever stood upon. It buoyed her, filled her with confidence, and reassured that she had made the right choice all in one moment. 

"Come now, beast.' she said in a sinister voice not entirely her own. 'We have work to do."

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Ah, I had a lot of fun with this one. It was one of those effortless writing sessions, where the words just flow through the keyboard without pause. I hope you all like it, too.

Spoiler

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
The Master of the Stables

Spoiler

This is part two of my possessed story, where the thinblooded Keeper decides to allow a possessing daemon to share his body in a grasp for power. I couldn't finish it in time for last week, but wanted to add it in anyway, consider it out of competition.

A walk in Man-Skin

Spoiler

Edited by Carrack, 04 February 2016 - 12:08 AM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,777 posts
Adversity’s Sweet Milk
Hidden Content

Edit: I've been busy and just got round to finishing reading everyone's recent pieces.
Carrack, I liked Yenaldlooshi and got a pleasant surprise when I Googled the name ;)
And Teetengee, the pregnant-with-a-daemon was an excellent bit. :tu:

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

It's more pregnant by than with, but the difference is fluid, sooo I guess it is a matter of perspective.

Also:

Dreadsteed

Hidden Content

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,777 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
Thank you very much for your entries on the topic of Daemonic Steeds, and thanks to Carrack for suggesting it.

All of the stories were good reads and I don’t have time to comment on all - I’ll leave that to Captain Malachi, but a few words from me...

Son of Carnelian - I thought yours was excellently written, and had such potential...but then it finished. You...you...fictiontease, you! Too short! That the disc was so intelligent and willful was such a nice touch.

Scourged – that was excellent. I expected nothing less, and the twist at the end was so very Tzeentchian.

Carrack - I loved the idea of letting the juggernaut loose in the city streets, the populace using the old and infirm to lure it about...it brought to mind the bull-runs in Spain. I loved that the whip was barbed with stained glass from an Imperial temple. Sometime I’d love to read a story from the POV of one thrust into the city streets on the run for those eight minutes if you can!

I hereby close that topic (for the purposes of judging. If you have more tales of Daemonic Steeds to tell by all means post them at any time! I know I have ideas for one more) and open our next one...

Welcome to the fourth challenge of Inspiration Friday 2016.
Chaos Regiments
The turn of the mortals. While most often we focus on fallen Astartes and their daemonic allies, countless are the mortals under the sway of the Infernal Powers. This week I would have you tell us about an Imperial Guard regiment turned traitor. When, where and how did it happen? Is the regiment devoted to a single deity or worships the entire Pantheon? Do they operate alone, alongside traitor astartes or daemons? Where do they reside? What are their goals? Tell us too of their victories and losses.

Inspiration Friday: Chaos Regiments runs until Friday the 12th of February.

And who shall judge it? That decision lies in the hands of Captain Malachi. Captain, please announce the winner at your leisure and in whatever manner you deem fit!
And to our winner, do not forget to claim your Octed amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Let us be inspired.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Cheerleading with Carrack

Go team Chaos!

This week was a great week for IF. I thought I would give a little more feedback than the "like button", since I realized that I hit it on every story, again. So here is what I liked about your stories this week. My unusual disclaimer about my lack of education, sophistication, and questionable sobriety and sanity applies. :)

Captain Malachi. I like Frankie, and that you called him your chew toy. :) maybe one day you can come up with an explanation as to his many chances, but I think it would be best if you dropped a tidbit here and a bit more there, as the weeks go by.

Diabolist. The description of the warpsmith's forge was cool, it had a way of making the act of forging a weapon sinister and captured the feel of Chaos well. I also liked how this paragraph sounded.
"
"They are restless, they feel the wind of war blowing across the ship..." Mertak observed. A broad legionary, Mertak was the Sergeant of his coterie, a burly warrior who, it seems, took at heart the lessons learned from the Eaters of Worlds, so long ago. "They are always restless..." Shorta replied, and this was true. The Juggernauts never slept, never rested, for the beasts every breath was a challenge, every movement a threat, every step a provocation."

Awesome.

EesiOh. The ritual was well described. I like that Chaos has Sorcerers instead of Psykers, for particularly that reason. An evil ritual calling forth a possessing daemon is so much cooler than a psyker just using his mind. Great writing. Honestly, in my opinion, your possessed story would have been a serious contender last week, and that's taking into account the level of competition we have had.

Son of Carnelian. First off, great title. Secondly, it's good to see the Scourged loosing to the Inquisition. Serves them right for having such good background stories written about them weekly, making the rest of us look bad. :) thirdly, I liked the interrogation format, it worked well with this story. Lastly, good plot twist, I thought Ziza was a goner for sure, and never suspected the ending.

Scourged. In regards to your author's note; I love it when the words just pour out easily. I'm often surprised by the result as well, some stories I have taken 20 minutes on have been better than ones I have spent hours on.

Once again you have written a great story. I like how you captured the personality of a scheming Tzentchian, always grasping for power, but ultimately a pawn. I have to admit, I didn't like Phtoleus's chances when he went after his mount, but I didn't suspect in the least what happened to him.

Me, Carrack. I suggested this topic to Kierdale, who graciously used it. At the time I had some ideas about what to write, but my main challenge, was to try to use my knowledge of horses in a story, and not have it sound like a horse manual. That and juggernauts aren't horses. I think I did that well, and included some of the ideas I had about the challenge, but I could not get a good plot going, and the characters were bland. Kierdale's idea of using a sentenced thrall as a narrator sounds much better, I wish I had thought of it. I hope the good parts of the story outweighs the bad for the readers, I think they do personally.

Kierdale. I look forward to reading of the Psychopomps every week. Your ability to tell such grand stories as the overall plot of the warband sometimes just inches along is fascinating. I like all of your stories, but what I enjoys about this one, was the setting. I think it added suspense, and helped capture the fear of the guardsmen. I can't wait to see your possessed Templar, if that is the route you are going with the Daemonforge. I wouldn't post it in the Black Templar sub forum. They might get angry, well angrier anyway :) Oh, and two heads are better than one.

Teetengee. Bold choice writing a poem. It worked. The epic and medieval tone makes it seem like it might be read at a great feast, or a bard might sing it at a tavern, to pass on the legends of Arkash Half-Dead

That's all, I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here.

Edited by Carrack, 06 February 2016 - 06:48 AM.

Captain Malachi

Captain Malachi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,865 posts

I have to agree with Carrack, an excellent showing this week, it wasn't easy to choose a winner at all.

Kierdale and Carrack above me have already given much of the direct feedback I was going to give, so rather than simply repeat what they've said in slightly different words, I'll skip right to the judging.

As I said, very difficult to choose, but a decision must be made and so I name Scourged this week's winner.

EesiOh

EesiOh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 281 posts

Firstly Congrats to Scourged, Secondly I agree with Carrack, I loved this weeks entries, they were all fantastic. And dont worry Carrack yours was fine :). Also im glad you liked my story, I thought it would be fun to have a chaos marine possessing a daemon and not the other way around and who better to do that with than the worshipers of Malal 

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Scourged – that was excellent. I expected nothing less, and the twist at the end was so very Tzeentchian.

Why thank you. I don't always capture the essence of my patron deity, but when I do, it's downright magickal. 

Secondly, it's good to see the Scourged loosing to the Inquisition. Serves them right for having such good background stories written about them weekly, making the rest of us look bad.

Scourged. In regards to your author's note; I love it when the words just pour out easily. I'm often surprised by the result as well, some stories I have taken 20 minutes on have been better than ones I have spent hours on.

Hah, clever little jab there. And I agree. I, too, have had works I've spent days - literal days - on that pale in comparison to some of the spur-of-the-moment stories. When things work, they just work

Oh, and @Son of Carnelian: Always good to see some Scourged representation. You should know how tempting it was to make my Phtoleus-Disc a gift to Lord Eusebios, but I retrained myself. biggrin.png

As I said, very difficult to choose, but a decision must be made and so I name Scourged this week's winner.

Many thanks, Captain Malachi. Consider me honored. 

While I'm positively ecstatic about winning out over all of those stories (hubris and Tzeentchians mix well), I'm not sure if it's a relief or not to escape judgement this week. Regardless, I'll begin crafting an inspirational tale about my Changemongers once again. May the blessings of the Dark Gods guide your minds and fingers as you write.

May Khorne allow you to articulate the carnage and gore that only the most honorable of battles may provide.

May Slaanesh grace you and your audience with the sensations that only the completion of the most eloquent and inspirational of tales can provide. 

May Nurgle allow you to tap into the fear of mortality's end that you may capture its essence on the page.

May Tzeentch guide your mind to craft characters and plot that run deep with interest and growth that all shall be impressed.

...and may Malal (Malice) gift you with the self-hatred to ensure no one wins and we all burn, because CHAOS!!!

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Most High
Spoiler

Edited by Carrack, 09 February 2016 - 04:57 AM.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

A little glimpse into the birth of the Changemongers.

Spoiler

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,777 posts

A couple of quickies I put together today.

Voices down the thread

Hidden Content

Thirsty

Hidden Content

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

187th Nyriadnean

Hidden Content

Not my best work, I just wasn't quite feeling it. Still, the story is there.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,777 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
Thank you very much for your entries on the topic of Traitor Regiments. Not a lot, and perhaps we would have had more if I had allotted us two weeks, but thanks for the good entries we did get.

I hereby close that topic (for the purposes of judging. If you have more tales of turncoat guardsmen to tell by all means post them at any time!) and open our next one...

Welcome to the fifth challenge of Inspiration Friday 2016.
The Primordial Annihilator versus the Vlka Fenryka
Vlka Fenryka - Space Wolves, the Sky Warriors of Russ, the Rout, the VI legion...the desecrators of fair Prospero. Since the times of the Great Crusade they have been the Emperor’s executioners and countless times since they have fought against the forces of Chaos - the Battle of the Fang, the Skarath Crusade, the great First War for Armageddon, the War of the Wolf in which they clashed against the Black Legion, the Third Purging of Lastrati, the Ormantep Raid and finally the 13th Black Cruade - while they themselves fought against the mutation within their own DNA.
Tell us of your forces’ clash with the sons of Russ.

Inspiration Friday: The Primordial Annihilator versus the Vlka Fenryka runs until Friday the 26th of February.

And who shall judge it? That decision lies in the hands of Scourged.
Scourged, please announce the winner at your leisure and in whatever manner you deem fit!
And to our winner, do not forget to claim your Octed amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Let us be inspired.

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,658 posts

A Wolf's Luck

The Company of Misery had already wasted enough time on these feral savages, Huybrecht thought. That one single Space Wolf now stood between them and total control of this Space Hulk irked him even further. They might spend years looking for him if he could master the dark and secret passages of the hulk. Or he might already lay dead somewhere on this fusion of astroid and battleship, cut open by one of the unknown horrors that stalked its halls. 

Either way, Huybrecht seethed at wasting his precious time going on patrol through the Space Hulk. Named Emissary of Doom by some forgotten past action of war, the mass of metal and material lumbered through space, with only the Warp propelling it at any speed. If not for the fact that the Emissary of Doom could stand up to practically any outside bombardment, Huybrecht would have thought it useless as a vessel. But while it could withstand any outside attack, boarders could prove far more deadly to its structural integrity, such as it was. 

Huybrecht checked his bolter again as he continued walking. The Tigrus-pattern weapon had served him quite well over the years, originally plucked from the dead arms of an Iron Hand. The son of Ferrus had maintained his weapon exquisitely, to the point where it barely required any upkeep from Huybrecht. Still, The Company of Misery's resident sorcerer had supposedly divined ill portents regarding the weapon and Huybrecht, so he kept a watchful eye on it.

But something in the background of Huybrecht's mind changed. He looked up from examining his weapon and realized with a start that he had absolutely no idea where he now stood on this damnable Space Hulk. He cursed once, twice, then a total of seventeen times in varying languages as he failed to find his bearings. 

"You are foul and a fool,' laughed a voice in the darkness. 'I will enjoy ridding the galaxy of you." 

Huybrecht cursed again, but before he could finish the string of obscenities, the Space Wolf leapt at him from above. Huybrecht narrowly dodged, leaping away and letting a burst fly from his bolter. One of the shells hit and detonated inside the meat of the Space Wolf's calf. The grey-armored Space Marine howled in pain, a sound that disgusted Huybrecht to his core. The Space Wolf tried moving towards the traitor in retaliation, but his wound sent him to the deck instead. 

Stepping forward for a closer look, Huybrecht examined the fallen Space Wolf. Upon inspection, the Space Wolf's features revealed his relative youth. A Blood Claw then, Huybrecht thought. The prone warrior had a bolt pistol locked to his waist, but it had no ammo remaining. In one hand, he grasped an axe of respectable size. Huybrecht could also see runes scrawled upon the Space Wolf's armor. The traitor spoke little Fenrisian and read even less, but he could make out that the runes said something about a "great destiny" and a "young wolf." It also, perhaps ironically, read "lucky." Huybrecht couldn't suppress a laugh at that, his humor coming through from his twisted helmet sounding more like metal grating on metal. 

"Something amusing, traitor?" The Blood Claw asked through gritted teeth. His body had already clotted the bleeding from his leg, but it still wouldn't function properly for a while yet. Huybrecht simply kept laughing as he brought his bolter up for an execution shot. The Space Wolf closed his eyes and muttered something Huybrecht could not hear. The traitor Astartes depressed the trigger and-

Nothing. Huybrecht heard a click emanate from somewhere within the bolter, but the shot did not leave the chamber. His laugher stopped and he instead roared in frustration, slamming his bolter with all his augmented strength, cursing all the while as he willed the ancient bolter to life. After a few seconds of this, the bolter finally fired its delayed shot, slamming not into the Space Wolf but one of the crude metal plates that made up the floor beside him. Faster than any eye could follow, the bolt rebounded around the chamber and struck Huybrecht square in the soft armor of his neck. His final half-spoken words demanded an anatomical impossible act from the Space Wolf, before he fell to the deck of the Emissary of Doom in a gurgling heap. 

The Blood Claw blinked. The whole ordeal had happened in less than a minute and it seemed somehow even shorter than that. He coughed once before chucking to himself. He reached over for where the traitor's bolter had fallen, smiling at its dark metallic surface still emblazoned with the sign of the Iron Hands. The Blood Claw uttered a word of thanks to the weapon before locking it to his side. 

"Now I have a bolter,' he said aloud to no one. He chucked again, finally allowing himself the luxery of a full laugh a moment later. 'Ho ho ho!"