Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspiration Friday 2016: Thousand Sons (until 1/13)

- - - - - Inspiration Friday Inspiration Friday 2016 fanfiction Chaos Writing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
470 replies to this topic

Thedarkprincesnun

Thedarkprincesnun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,483 posts
Ok heres my attempt
Syen stood there his ancient suit of terminator armour covered in rust. "How long must we wait" he said sounding rather impatient. "However long it takes brother, you know the sorceror must not be rushed" said his brother Karkov. "Very well Karkov" said Syen. He looked around in his left hand he wielded a power scythe of ancient design and in his right a combi flamer. He stared ahead and saw the sorceror chanting away as he usually did his bloated form surronded by a haze of flies.

From wh"at syen could see the sorceror was killing cultists with a rusted dagger which he claimed was infested with 1000 plagues. "It is ready" he said. Suddenly the flies rushed around him and then the terminators were gone.

They appeared in a cloud of flies each onw slightly dazed but quickly recovering. "Where the hell are we" syen said clearly agitated. "I dont know" karkov said. Suddenly a human rushed towards them and screamed. "Wait human" said Syen with a commanding voice "where are we". "Your in spira" was all the human managed to say before he killed him

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
I thank you all for your most amusing entries in Lost in Space (and Time) over the last week. I haven’t yet finished reading them all but might put up some comments later. smile.png

I hereby close that topic for the purposes of rewards (though, as always, if you have more tales to tell feel free to post them at any time).

And here begins our tenth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016, a topic suggested by one of you!
Imperfect Beings
So often the source of inspiration is the achievements and success of a warband, but their faults and defeats can prove just as inspirational. What weakness(es) or flaw(s) have led to such a defeat for your warband? It could be a flaw in the personality, or a weakness of the flesh, or a failing in the mind. Is it an imperfection of a single warrior, or does it manifest throughout every member of the warband? Is it of minor consequence, or does it greatly affect every campaign?

Is stubbornness so ingrained within your gene-seed that you will never surrender, even when obliteration is certain? Maybe your champion cannot survive without feasting on Astartes flesh and has become a liability. Does ambition drive your subordinates to backstab and usurp their leadership at the first hint of weakness? Perhaps your warband is cursed with rampant mutation, or a necrotic touch that rapidly decays weapons and armor to uselessness.
Inspirational Friday: Imperfect Beings runs until the 8th of April.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Teetengee. And to the victor chosen by Teetengee, step forward to claim your Octed Amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

This is for last week's: It isn't great, but I wasn't really sure how to end it.

A Disturbance in the Warp

Hidden Content

I'll have judgment up later.

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts

Since no one did a WHFB entry for last week, I put one together as an extra. smile.png

Not Our Battle

Hidden Content

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
A Falling Star

Spoiler

Edited by Carrack, 05 April 2016 - 05:14 AM.

Captain Malachi

Captain Malachi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,865 posts
Spoiler

Not overly happy with that one but I'll post it anyway.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Death of a Champion

Note: this is a long one, but it's in parts for easier digestion. I'd like this to be my counting submission, but if the judge doesn't want to read 3790 words, I understand.

Not One Step Back

Spoiler

Skull

Spoiler

Murder

Spoiler

Burning Hatred

Spoiler

Author notes.
Spoiler

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts
Well done, Carrack, very enjoyable read.

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
I haven't yet read it but hope to soon.

Teetengee, have you chosen this week's judge? :)

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Another tenuous connection to the weekly topic, but I think it works.

Spoiler

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts
Carrack: The Vilest Village
Start with nitpicks, because I am a :cuss: Worst not worse, it is minor, but whenever I run into a typo early on in a work it always throws me off for the rest of it, there were a couple other errors throughout, but like the first most would be caught by a spell/grammar checker. (Actually many of us could benefit from such, myself included, on occasion, so I am not going to repeat it throughout, but if in doubt everyone, use a spellcheck ;)!)

Good stuff: I was grinning like an idiot during your second paragraph, well done.

Malachai: [Untitled]
I am amused
Spoiler

Kierdale: Thelemic Leap
I am still amused
Spoiler
I admit I cannot place the last one though.

Scourged: [Untitled]
Well done.
Spoiler

Warsmith Aznable: [Untitled]
It seemed incomplete to me, but I did like where it was going.

Thedarkprincesnun: [Untitled]
I felt like this could have used more development, there was very little that happened to show the juxtaposition of your Terminators in this new land.

Teetengee: A Disturbance in the Warp (Unscored)
The beginning was stronger than the end, unfortunately.

Kierdale: Not Our Battle (Unscored)

(haven’t gotten to this yet, will replace with stuff when I do)

The victor is Scourged, although several were in contention.

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

My thanks for the honor, Teetengee. Seems I have a bit of extra reading to do over the weekend. biggrin.png

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

Warsmith Aznable: [Untitled]
It seemed incomplete to me, but I did like where it was going.

Yep. It took me forever to come up with an inspiration to go off of, and when I found it it was already Friday and I was at work. I knew what I wanted to be the core (The Warsmith in 40k Wonderland parodying the Cheshire Cat scene) but I didn't quite know how to frame it or how I wanted it to end. So I just started writing to see where it would take me, then published what I managed in the time I had to work on it.

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

Thedarkprincesnun

Thedarkprincesnun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,483 posts

Thedarkprincesnun: [Untitled]
I felt like this could have used more development, there was very little that happened to show the juxtaposition of your Terminators in this new land.

I will be honest my story was kind of rushed as I had many ideas lol. I actually nearly had them teleport into the kingdom hearts universe at one point haha

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
I thank you all for your entries in Imperfect Beings over the last week. Not many but those we did get were of good quality.

I hereby close that topic for the purposes of rewards (though, as always, if you have more tales to tell feel free to post them at any time).

And here begins our eleventh challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016:
Obliterators
Techmarines and others who fell foul of the Obliterator Virus, mutated and/or modified terminators (or even Centurions) or perhaps teams of elite marines hauling about personal arsenals, who are these technologically obsessed walking cannonades? Was their transformation entered into willingly? How have they coped both mentally and physically? How are they used by their commanders?
We turn out gaze this time to Obliterators (a theme shared with the current Daemon Forge so by all means take part in both and show us your models over there msn-wink.gif ).

Inspirational Friday: Obliterators runs until the 22th of April.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Scourged. And to the victor chosen by Scourged, step forward and claim your Octed Amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Oh, and Teetengee, the final quantum leap of my `Lost In Space` piece was from Apocalypse Now. smile.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
I noticed the Apocalypse Now reference, both in your story and your Raptor. Great movie.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Obliterated

Spoiler

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Huh. I thought there were more entries for this week, but it seems I was mistakenly including the late entries for the prior topic. Still, good reading nonetheless.

The winner is Carrack, for Death of a Champion. Oh, and don't worry about the 3.7k word count - I and many others have submitted much longer entries, much to the chagrin of the judges then, I'm sure. blush.png A few thoughts that I had:

Spoiler

Regarding your entry, Captain Malachai:

Spoiler

Oh, and Scourged had a story too:

Spoiler

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Thanks! Your right about part 4 being different, the only tenative ties to the rest of the story was Copil lying to the other chosen, saying that the enemy killed Vinno, I should have added that in at the end of part 3 and left it at that.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Thanks! Your right about part 4 being different, the only tenative ties to the rest of the story was Copil lying to the other chosen, saying that the enemy killed Vinno, I should have added that in at the end of part 3 and left it at that.

Or, you could have ended it with the fate of Paimun. Did he decide to try his hand at leading the rest of the Chosen, only to join them after being so brutally roasted? Or maybe he stayed behind to watch from afar, the Inquisition in his head telling him to let them burn, that he may more easily ascend in the ranks of the Black Maw. I would hate to have the whole fourth part cut - all it would need would be a couple extra lines or a paragraph, and bam, you've got yourself a great finale to it.

Thedarkprincesnun

Thedarkprincesnun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,483 posts
The 3 Brothers of Plague
Andronius had once been a fertile agri world within the imperium story tellers would say but that all change when the Angels of Despair arrived. Led by Lord Morbidrax they assaulted in quick rapid strikes. It was unknown why they attacked this world until they reached one of the world's many shrines to the Emperor. "So this is it" said Morbidrax. He turned to the sorceror who was named arkhos. "Arkhos you better have a good reason for dragging me and my warband here" said Morbidrax not bothering to keep the disdain out of his voice. "My lord" said Arkhos "as you may know I have been searching the fates for a way to provide us with a weapon that will give us the edge over the rest of the warbands of the Death Guard, and I believe I have. I believe on this world lies something the imperials like to call the fountain of radiance they believe that the Emperor blessed it with healing powers before horus slew him. Now while it obviously dosent have healing powers and wasn't blessed by the Emperor it does contain a powerful warp energy" said Arkhos. "And how will this warp energy help us" said Morbidrax it annoyed him how the sorceror seemed to speak in riddles. "Well my lord if I can tap into the warp energies within this waters I may be able to fill 3 chosen warriors with the power and armour of the warp" said Arkhos.

Within a day they took the temple and following the directions the sorceror had gave him Morbidrax had his men place the surviving defenders in a certain pattern then one by one ech of them was killed each one seeming to fill the sorceror with more energy. He stared at the 3 men next to him each one of them a veteran of many campaigns against the corpse Emperor he had gained a great respect for them. As the sorceror continued to chant in the gutteral language the air around them seemed to shiver as the sorceror drew in the power of the warp, he then made a motion for the 3 to step forward and enter the water. As they did they felt a power start to flow through them it felt as if they had become one with the warp they could feel ut running through their flesh and armour almost as if the warp energy was replacing their blood. New pain wracked their body and even though the blessings of nurgle had numbed the pain they still felt it and it only became worse as the sorceror kept on chanting using the blood of the slain to draw archaic symbols on the ground.

This would continue for over a hour until their vision had begun to blur almost as if they were about to pass out from the pain when suddenly it felt like their blood flesh and armour was on fire. They began to scream a unearthly unnatural scream that pierced even lord Morbidrax throwing him and all those within the exception of the sorceror who was close to the ritual backwards. Morbidrax grunted as he fell over in pain, he wanted to help his warriors but he couldn't and as he looked upon them he saw the changes being wrought their armour and necrotic looking flesh running like water with their blood mixed in. All of a sudden they arched back and flew into the air the warp wrapping itself around them wracking their bodies with constant spasms. As suddenly as it begun it stopped and the one in the middle was the first to speak. "Hasssss it worked" he said in a low raspy tone. "Just think of a weapon and it will be yours" said the voice in their head "reach out with your mind to the weapons the enemy wielded and they shall be yours". He did as the voice said and the enemy's guns flew into the air but instead of landing in front of him they turned into energy which all 3 of them absorbed. The first one turned to Lord Morbidrax "My lord it was as the sorceror promised we are a weapon unlike any other"

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
As I’ve said, I have no idea how I want to model my eventual Obliterators, so I’ve done two versions! Perhaps you can help me choose smile.png
First up, the `Gemini of Genocide` version...
Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Second the Fiendish version...
Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts

I thank you for your entries in Obliterators over the last two weeks. Not as many as I had hoped for to be honest :( but perhaps people will have a chance to tell us about their obliterators another time as part of a different IF topic.

I hereby close that topic for the purposes of rewards (though, as always, if you have more tales to tell feel free to post them at any time). :)

And here begins our Twelfth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016:

Lesser Daemons

This time the neverborn take the spotlight once more. Bloodletters, Daemonettes, Plaguebearers and Horrors, whether the protagonists or antagonists, give us a tale about these lesser servants, these foot soldiers of the Dark Gods.
I want to save the other daemons (flesh hounds, fiends, beasts of Nurgle, screamers and the like) for another IF so please keep it to the four 'basic' daemon types...though that doesn't rule out 'counts as'...Slaaneshi versions of plaguebearers who feed off the pain inflicted upon them, etc.

Inspirational Friday: Lesser Daemons runs until the 29th of Apr.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Carrack...or it would but I happen to know he's away on holiday until the end of next week. I'll choose a winner and make a post later.

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

Yeah, I didn't get a chance to come up with anything for the obliterators, ETL prep and trying to finish off the Liber Cluster Caecus story are on the top of my plate right now hobbytimewise. No particular inspiration struck :/

However, for this one I have a couple ideas. Will counts as lesser daemons be fine that are just different? (As in nurgle counts as plaguebearers that aren't plaguebearers?)

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts

Will counts as lesser daemons be fine that are just different? (As in nurgle counts as plaguebearers that aren't plaguebearers?)

That would be fine, Teetengee. In fact, the point of IF is of course to inspire one another. Original takes on fluff/models are something I'd really like to see. :tu:

And on a similar point, my judging of IF: Obliterators...
Carrack, I liked your piece and the marine's despair at what had become him. It would have been better, in my opinion, to have that inner monologue interspersed throughout the piece rather than all at the end. A bit longer too, though I know you've been busy.
Thedarkprincesnun, you gave us an entry on the creation of your obliterators. It was original, possession-based. I do feel that running it through a word processing program's grammar/spell checker would have helped before posting it.

This time I'm going to be a harsh judge and declare that there is no winner. I liked all the entries, but none struck me as being truly inspirational; none worthy of the gift of the Infernal Powers: the Octed amulet.
And so I shall request of Carrack (when he's back from his hols) that he judge the current IF's entries instead.