HH Weekender 2016 thread (Titan Secutarii pg. 56)

Atia

GW will release more mechanicus stuff, but that wouldn't be a "new" army msn-wink.gif

I can think of (some of these - particularly the chaos stuff - wouldn't be applicable until the late days of the Heresy really close to the siege of Terra):

Exodites, Arbites, Demiurg (they appeared in an Alpha Legion story even), chaos cultists / renegade guard (replacing IA13's list with a GW one), Chaos Knights, Dark Mechanicum.

Insert obligatory 'yet another new army/faction released before a new SoB dex' comment here.

Not to forget raging over chaos being overlooked biggrin.png

Arbites should get atleast stuff for Necromunda, so there is cool potential there - can see them used with the MIlitia army list (use Rhino rules to represent Repressors)

INFERNO SEMINAR:

First off, to cover off most of the known facts about the book:

• Still being finalised, but slated for 'Late 2016'
  • Covers the events of the razing of Prospero.
  • Contains elements for the following forces:
    • Space Wolves
    • Thousand Sons
    • Legio Custodes
    • Sisters of Silence
    • Prospero Spireguard
    • Arkhadine Mechanicum
    • Titan Legions

The Space Wolves and Thousand Sons will get the same level of Legion rules and units as per the other Legions. There may be subtle differences in the names of standard Astartes unit types, specifically for the Space Wolves, but they should all still function in the same manner as the other Legions.

Legio Custodes will be a separate list, and will be designed as a self contained entity or to be taken as an allied detachment to other Loyalist Legions. Their rules are still being tweaked at the moment, as their power level still needs to be made comparable to the Black Library novels without being over-powered. Alan mentioned that over a year ago he did one of the first full playtests of Custodes against John French's Iron Hands - and Alan changed a 20 man strong Iron Hands Tactical Squad with 5 Custodes, which managed to kill all the Iron Hands before they could retaliate. Alan's design philosophy are that they are a very elite force, and as such will be low in number and not designed for attrition warfare. They will have their own play style that makes them very agile and responsive, and to be able to fight through most things in their way. As a last point Alan mentioned that the Emperor has been keeping the best equipment for the Custodes, and that they could be equipped with vehicles and weapons re-discovered during the Great Crusade that were designed and built during the Dark Age of Technology that has been kept away from the Legions. 

Sisters of Silence will not get the same treatment, but will have some elements that can be used as an allied detachment to another primary detachment. Alan also dropped into the discussion that these, with the Custodes, can be considered to be Agents of the Emperor and could also be expanded to include other areas, such as the Assassin Temples (as they were in M31). Again it sounds like rules have been tricky to nail down without them completing destroying the psychic phase. Unfortunately a lot of the Sisters discussion was undermined by Tony Cottrell and his reference to Nuns on Bikes, including sharing the front row of the seminar an apparently humorous picture of a nun on a tricycle that he found on google.

The Arkhadine Mechanicum could be a bit of an oddball element in the story line. From the sounds of it, it's a Thousand Sons aligned Forge World, and that the Archmagos' have been given a greater degree of leniency in their studies as a result of their allegiance. It also sounds like the Cybernetica elements of the Forge World have been "adapted" by the Thousand Sons to remove the mechanical logic and AI elements to be replaced with psychic crystals that the Sons can use to control the robots remotely. Apparently the Mechanicum are not entirely pleased with this, and could in fact be leaning towards the Wolves / Custodians in an attempt to right the wrong that they see. However, it may be that the allegiance of the Forge World to the Sons is their own damnation, as the task force sent to censor the Sons also need to censor any elements aligned to the Sons (including this Forge World).

Prospero Spireguard are in the book, but they weren't really touched upon in the seminar. Given the large amount of content that this book will be included, I wouldn't be surprised if their inclusion is just a colour scheme, hierarchy, and a trait that can be used with the Imperial Militia list from Conquest. I honestly wouldn't be getting my hopes up that they will have their own list and models, I just can't see it happening. 

One interesting element of the larger battle on Prospero that Alan alluded to was that during the conflict the barriers between the material realm and the warp were significantly thinned, and that even time may start to move differently and have subtle effects on the forces at play. It was remarked that towards the ends of the battle troops could be progressing through the streets to turn a corner, only to find that they were no further along than when they first started (and included many Doctor Who "timey wimey" references). They alluded to, but didn't directly say that this could be the main catalyst for the Wulfen, as they mentioned that some of the Wolves would be 'victims' of this effect.

Valdor will be getting rules, but no further characters were mentioned (and this was only confirmed as a response to a direct question). The Space Wolves (and presumably the Thousand Sons) may get unique Consul types to portray different character types, but no name drops of any specific special characters or rules that would be included. No indicative timelines on dates for any models, although the SW torsos and MkIII pads did appear to be somewhat complete so I can't believe they'll be too long before they come out. 

One way Alan mentioned that the Thousand Sons will get balanced is that you will be able to align your force to one of the main temples (Pyrae, Corvidae, etc), which will give you some bonuses but also some limitations too. Plus you won't be able to mix the different temples together to get around this. He is very conscious of the fact that he doesn't want to make the Thousand Sons just Marines with a bunch of extra great rules with no downside, but getting the balance is difficult at times. 

That's all I have for the moment, but I will keep dwelling on the Seminar.

Well, first I'd like to thank everyone for the coverage! You all are greatly appreciated!

Second, I'm thrilled for the SW and TS players. They will no doubt be awesome.

Lastly, I won't pretend...I'm disappointed about the lack of Dorn or Alpharius. It's awesome that Russ is coming up but I can't help but feel a little sour knowing that we've had rules for the former two for nearly two years now. I know that "Alpharius has already been released" but I want a nice centerpiece model to call Alpharius while the real Big A hangs out with some tacticals. I read earlier in the thread that FW have run into some issues cracking out character series models, mainly due to a lack of sculptors. I'm curious if this is what's delayed Dorn and Alph or if they're being saved for further down the line.

Now my whining aside, the event seems like it was just as awesome as many were hoping and there were so many new toys!

With the news of the Scouring arriving at some point in the future, I can feel the pull of a certain group of Templars...

I think that was very well said and a very good point, as well.  My best friend plays XX Legion so I know how much he was anticipating Alpharius, like yourself.

Quick question on the new RoW for the Word Bearers, do the Gal Vorbak get ObSec as Troops even though the Massacre book says they can't be scoring?  Has this changed in the new Red Book?

I know people are let down by the perceived lack of new goodies, at least from the character perspective but don't lose heart. There's the FW Open Day in May. Yes it's 3 months waiting but it's a hell of a lot better than waiting for whatever event they do instead of Games Day. 

Here's my take on the Inferno seminar, as someone who was 99% there for the TS only ;)

Prospero Spireguards, will get rules. Very unlikely for any kind of model support, outside of a character. In general don't expect model ranges for specific Guard armies, only characters. No details on how they differentiate themselves from the current Guard rules.

Thousand Sons, full army. More details below. Magnus is expected right after Russ for modeling/release.

Space Wolves, full army. Equipment diverges from standard legions; not all core vehicles/equipment available, instead replaced by their own unique versions. Same for Consuls, not all available but their get special replacements/new types.

Custodes, full army. Tremendous firepower per model, unmatched mobility on the battlefield, they do not use standard legion vehicles/equipment. They also don't use artillery. Their gear comes from the Emperor's private vault; the stuff that he would never give to the legiones. Relics of the dark times, etc. They are described as the perfect bodyguards, of a superior design than the astartes... but because of that lacking in free will.

Sisters of Silence, allies/detachment, not enough to field by itself (mechanically).

Titan Legions, rules for various affiliations.

Forge World Arkhadine, additional Legio Cybernetica rules/options. Staff seemed unsure how much of Arkhadine would be fluff, and how much would be rules.

Thousand Sons not on Prospero, not a focus in the book. They will be mentioned, but there are no plans for details. Me: Would make sense to offer a Shattered Legion Theme, but from the sounds of it it's not really in the cards.

Thousand Sons. First, they are not Space Marines +1. The FW staff absolutely does not want that, especially in the form of stacking special rule on top of special rule. They do have "a cunning plan" for the implementation of TS which they are currently playtesting; they're not sure if it'll pan out. The staff would not comment on their game mechanics, but they said that the fluff will carry as much as possible into the flavor of the rules.

They are described as survivors. Every battle they take part in involves a struggle for survival. War of attrition is not an option, because they simply don't have the numbers to entertain that kind of strategy.

The staff mentioned that the disciplines/temples of the TS would offer a large variety of options in both rules and wargear. Also that aligning your TS with a temple would provide benefits, but also penalties. To paraphrase: every temple has certain habits/idiosyncrasies/prides/etc. that create flaws.

They use cybernetica automata to bolster their ranks. These would be the Cataphractii we know from A Thousand Sons, but from the overall session it sounded like they might have different types and a much more prevalent use. The TS see the robots as expendable troops, the opposite of their astartes in that regard. These automata are controlled using psychic crystals rather than the usual cortex-controllers. This makes the Mechanicum very angry; they brand it tech-heresy.

Forge World Arkhadine is working very closely with the Thousand Sons, and the Thousand Sons are encouraging Arkhadine to use the psychic crystals and other such applications of psychic powers. So when the Wolves are sent to deal with Magnus, the Mechanicum at large uses this as an opportunity to stamp out Arkhadine which is why multiple Titan Legions are attacking.

Prospero is a massively detailed battle. Space, land, psychic; the loyalist side wants to wipe out everything and anything that has associated itself with the Sons. The whole planet will become a psychic quagmire, from simple illusions to more horrific effects and bending space and time. We'll also have details about the aftermath of the psychic devastation on the planetside Wolves.

And yes, the book will address the hypocrisy of the Rune Priests ;)

Anybody have pics of the golden daemon winners?

Not sure who won, but Warhammer World facebook page has a lot of entery posted earily today.

Thanks! Just took a peak and holy cow, there is some talent out there.

Archived