The Singing Nails, a Legio XII Project Log

Guiltysparc

Sure, the blue is the GW ultramarines stack:

Macragge blue base

drakenhoff wash

Macragge blue again except for areas i want to keep dark

Generous highlight with altdorf guard blue

More select highlight with calgar blue 

i find the difference between altdorf and calgar to be pretty jarring so i do a 50/50 mix of altdorf and calgar, thinned down a bit more than usual, and basically glaze where the altdorf and calgar edges meet to soften the transition. One or two passes of the this brushing towards the calgar gives a pretty nice transition without adding a boatload of time.   

On Khârn's shoulder i didn't use the calgar blue and did the same kind of 50/50 thing with altdorf and macragge.  I got the idea from the 'how to paint ultramarines' from painting buddah video.  Basically, you do a little blend whichever the two colors are next to each and brush towards the lighter color to soften the edge.  

Alright, i have resisted posting WIP pictures of the drop pod because every time i sat down to work on it i felt like i would have it finished in no time so i would just post a finished pic...but alas, this thing has taken forever! In my mind i thought, well its a bunch of flat surfaces without a boatload of detail so i can get this done in a day, nope, its also friggin huge so its taken longer than i thought.

Anyway, some WIP pics! I do think it'll be totally done by the end of the weekend though. Just need to hit the blue on the fins, decals, and then final assembly.

The main body.

gallery_92768_11638_168.jpg

I did the inside as basic metal, not a lot going on in there.

gallery_92768_11638_91888.jpg

Flight fins - had to do regular brush highlights on the white since the drybrush was hard to get into all the edges. I was a little nervous that this would look out of place with the softer highlight style on the body, but i think after i smooth it out a bit it will look good.

gallery_92768_11638_147721.jpg

Mocked up to see how the color scheme will look, i am digging it...

gallery_92768_11638_38773.jpg

Thanks for the complements everyone!

Next on the bench is Khârn's unit. 15 Despoilers, 10 are mark 4 from the BaC box and the other 5 are mark 3. They will look like the tac squad I have finished but with gold face plates and axes of course.

After that I think the spartan and a couple javelins are next, then a gahlan model, another tac squad, and a couple rhinos to finish out my 1850pt list...

...then a sicaran, 2 more dread pods, and another leviathan and then who knows, lol. That will get me up to 2500pts.

• 2 weeks later...

finally found some time to put some paint on a despoiler. The plan for these guys is to put a gold faceplate on them to set them apart a little from the other tacs, not sure how much i'm liking it but i'm withholding judgement until i have the backpack/shoulder pads on. I think the blue will help tie it all together. I really like the axe/pistol look though, this squad is going to look sweet!

gallery_92768_11638_91696.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_47927.jpg

Well I for one am liking the gold faceplate - I think you're right, the blue shoulderpads (also with gold trim??) will tie it together. I always think my WE look a bit washed out prior to the shoulders and back packs going on. I'm in a similar position with my vets - think I'll change the entire head colour but can't decide between blood red or black (both with white skull faceplate). I'm leaning towards red seeing as that's what they'll end up eventually!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love your crisp white! Look forward to seeing more Guilty!

• 2 weeks later...

While i was waiting for some washes to dry i decided to break out the Mk3 kit and assemble them. My unit of 15 despoilers will have 10 mk4s from the B@C box and 5 mk3s because i love mk3. I decided to build the sargent in the unit using the mk3 kit and a power fist from the calth box, i think he turned out pretty awesome. Can't wait to throw some paint on this dude.

Head, torso, and shoulder are from the legion upgrade bits, the power fist is from the calth box, and the rest is the mk3 despoiler kit.

gallery_92768_11638_3764.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_5358.jpg

Awesome work man! I really like the bronzey faceplate on that tactical. 

Looking to get the most out of some Str10 powerfists eh? :D

I love what I am seeing and can't wait to see more.

How bad was the Leviathan to get together?

The levi wasn't bad at all actually. The only part that was a little fiddly was getting the legs together in a pose i liked. I think a little bluetac would have made it much easier, but i didn't have any at the time. The magnetizing was all pretty easy and painting him was fun.

If you wanted to do the melee arm in a different pose, then that could be hard. Its attached to the shoulder with the power cabling bit so you would need to bend it so that it worked with the pose you wanted, but i just went the easy route for that arm.

Awesome work man! I really like the bronzey faceplate on that tactical.

Looking to get the most out of some Str10 powerfists eh? biggrin.png

Thanks! I wasn't sure about the bronze faceplate as i was painting it but once i put the shoulders and backpack on i like it a lot. I'm running those guys as regular despoilers, so no S10 power fist, but they will be running out of a spartan with Khârn and Gahlan, so that will be fun.

Archived