The Singing Nails, a Legio XII Project Log

Guiltysparc

Need to see a step by step of how you achieve the white. I know your method. I've read it over and over...it's just the smoothness being...wow

this pic from the first post shows the progression of corax spray, wash, then ceramite white dry brush:

gallery_92768_11638_47928.jpg

That was when i first started. I've added a final layer of white scar edge highlighting to some of the models where i didn't get as much edge highlights from the dry brush as i wanted. For example, the drybrush method didn't work very well on the mk3 armor, so i did all of the highlights on those with the a brush. On my praetor i did a slightly quicker/less intense drybrush session and then full edge highlighting with a combo of ulthuan grey and white scar. I would say to try it out and see which variety of finishing works for you. The hard part is getting the wash consistency, that takes a bit of practice.

When you put it that way it makes more sense. It's hard when you want to paint white, but when you also want to paint a maddening concoction of brass/steel metal... Not sure if white would work as a trim for that combo....oops sorry talking out loud

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry its been so long since the last update, i have been mega busy outside of the hobby...anywho, i have the last 10 marines and the FW land raider built and on the bench now. That will complete my 2000pt core.

I also built another sargent sans powerfist to use with my regular marine unit...

gallery_92768_11638_109162.jpg

...and here are some of my WIP inductii. I ran out of regular CCW arms so i raided my bits box and found some 40k raptor arms. I didn't have enough of the handless ones so 4 of my inductii will be dual weilding the killer raptor chainswords and their chainaxes. One those models i'm going to use the holstered bolt pistol bits from the B@C box to show that they still have them.

gallery_92768_11638_108027.jpg

You've taken quite a different approach to the WE, but they look great - really smooth and clean paint jobs. Are you going to weather them eventually? Also, could we have a full army shot? biggrin.png

Thanks! I have thought about weathering. I really love the painted on scratches that some people do, but the problem for me is 2 fold...first, i haven't found an example of that against white armor and the one time i tried i couldn't get the contrast right enough that i liked the result, second i am too scared to try it on these guys that are done, lol.

Here is the last group shot i took, it was before the bolter tac squad got their new sargent. On my painting bench i have 10 inductii and their land raider, then my 2000pt core will be finished up.

gallery_92768_11638_57833.jpg

I did a single "modern" White Scar with painted scratches in grey and brown, don't know if that's about the look you're considering?

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/White%20Scars/DSC01871_zpsabd45c62.jpg

Otherwise, sponging on some grey, brown and black could work too, though that might be too grimy for you:

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/White%20Scars/DSC02020_zps11exxymh.jpg

I'm not a really good painter (just tabletop) but a trick I found useful while brush painting scratches is to first paint the "highlighted" part of the damage, then the inside in grey or brown (depending on the base colour). Pic related.

grey_test.jpg?w=620&h=827

• 2 weeks later...

Paint is all done, just decals left. On a sad note, this is the first of the tank to get an other other brushed edge highlight of white and i like how it turned out so much that i need to go back over my spartan and rhino now, lol, and maybe the javelins. Also, the FW style side sponsons make this thing look beefy as hell.

gallery_92768_11638_146665.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Super quick but excited update. I finished the paint on the last models for the current incarnation of this army, knocked out the decals on the indcutii squad and most the decals on their land raider. I expect to finish probably tomorrow and i then i'll post up some finished pictures and probably a new thread in the Hall of Honor or AoD subforum with a bunch of whole army pics.

So that i dont just post that without any pictures, here is one from the middle of the weekend after i had finished putting shoulders on the last 5 inductii. I'm loving this way this unit turned out with the 40k raptor arms.

gallery_92768_11638_93008.jpg

Beautiful as usual, Guilty. Will you keep expanding your XIIth, or start a new army once the core force is finished?

Thats a good question.  I definitely want to keep building out my world eaters.  I still have the terminators from the B@C box that i want to build and paint and i also have an idea for a 2500pt force that consists of what i have + a praevian with a unit of vorax.  That would give me something a little different to build/paint and i think it would be fun to work the white and blue into the vorax models.

But i'm also pretty interested in started a 40k army, maybe admech, but with all the flux and rumors oof 8th eddtion coming out i'm not in a hurry to jump into 40k...

BUT ALSO, lol, i really like the custodes and sisters models and i really want to build a loyalist legion force with them in....so we'll see what happens with the next FW black book.

I would love to see your take on Rampagers/Red butchers, or some of the nastier LA units in the red books. Plus, this thread is a goldmine of painting and modeling, so there's that.

Although, a custodes/sisters army would look great, and given how well you've done white on your WE, wouldn't be too much of a challenge. msn-wink.gif

oh ya, i really love the WE unit models, the butchers and rampagers both.  I was thinking that i might use the B@C terminators + the leagion shoulders as butchers since i already have them, buuuuut, i do like the real butcher models and honestly, a 12th legion force just isn't complete without a unit of red butchers in a dreadclaw, lol.

Archived