"New" yellow recipe - EASY!

Kastor Krieg

Seeing that the beloved Casandora Yellow is about to go the way of the dodo, I've come up with a simple yet easy (I know ;) ) method for a good, nice saturated "taxi Marine" yellow.

1. Prime whatever color you want. Black works well for a preshade, but white or grey is just as well.

2. Basecoat with two layers of Averland Sunset. One might be enough on white.

3. Layer in with Vallejo Game Color 72.007 Gold Yellow (Amarillo Dorado).
4. Profit (and wash, weather, detail, whatever you feel like, mate).

Picture with zero retouch, good white balance and light. Yes, it IS this saturated. Averland is fairly flat, but the VGC 007 is the James Bond of this movie.

http://i.imgur.com/4oAPboM.jpg

That was the previous one. Has three problems - one, you can't do a preshade from black with it. Two, you can't airbrush it. Three, Casandora Yellow is soon to be gone from the palette. Which I mentioned in the OP.

Also, I came up with the Casandora Yellow one and brought it to the Forums, as well ;)

Edited by Kastor Krieg

My preferred method is basecoat with vomit brown, highlight with bleached bone and then white. Hit with yellow ink and all done. Though I've recently been experimenting with battle damaging the arour after the vomit brown and sponging on damage which negates the need for highlighting the armour before the wash

Any pics to show this recipy paying off?

Ive tried a fair few methods and while I have found one Im comfortable with, the easiest method Ive done was:

Prime White

Pick out details with Seraphim Sepia or Agrax Earthshade

Coat with Lamenters Yellow minimum of 3 times to get a strong color.

If you want a stronger/darker tone than this ones lemon-like brightness just do a single coat of Cassandora Yellow First.

Btw, these paints arent going away last Ive heard. A source to where you got that info would be nice though.

Edited by Slipstreams

Kastor Krieg

A nice filter to use after the Vallejo golden yellow is this:

Gloss varnish.

AK interactive Rust streak, wash entire miniature. leave for an hour then wipe off with a cue tip (acts like a filter and fills all the gaps to give some nice definition.

Leave to dry for a day as the AK interactive has a weak binder it takes a while to dry fully ( until this point it can be manipulated with white spirit).

Matt varnish to finish.

IMAG0009

• 2 weeks later...

I have absolutely no idea why people are using black primer when painting a color like yellow. It literally leaves me smacking my head. A very simple recipe.....

Spray white primer base. Hand brush two light coats of Army Painter War Paint "Daemonic Yellow". Highlight, shade, detail to hearts content. Done.

I have absolutely no idea why people are using black primer when painting a color like yellow. It literally leaves me smacking my head.

giphy.gif

More seriously, I just prefer not having to go over every single other part that won't be yellow with black paint. I find it more tiresome than putting four thin layers of Averland Sunset on a black base. Others, like your good self, prefer the alternative. Each to their own. ;)

• 2 months later...

To much highlight work for an easy mode scheme, tbh.

really?...

I admit yours is a really nice rich yellow, but i gotta say I still prefer the TWG one, i'm a notoriously slow painter and i was pretty fast with his technique and it looks the goods...still each to their own method of saving time... you know, like undercoating black on a yellow model...:wallbash:  :tongue.: 

Mithril

...I prime my IF Black...

>_>

I mean, this guy was primed black and took me 2h30min (going super slow even for me) to make as a singular figure but I've also done 10 man Termy Squads  in 4 hours all having been primed black :tongue.:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a598/stampeeder/2016-04-08%2000.17.14_zpsnx8uyd0u.jpg

Edited by Slipstreams

Sure!

For this particular marine, I used my pretty standard scheme of:

• Prime Black
  • 2 Coats of Averland Sunset, thinned
  • 2 Coats of Yriel Yellow, thinned
  • Reikland Fleshshade Wash (I will sub this in with Cassandora Yellow, Agrax Earthshade or Seraphim Sepia as my mood dictates)

This is pretty much my go-to Yellow Scheme at this point. It changes around from time to time; sometimes I'll only use a single coat of Yriel followed by 2 Coats of Flash Gitz if I want it to be brighter. But its mostly this. The wash also has an Impact on the Final Look, Cassandora giving the whole thing a richer near-orange tint, Agrax making it look muddy with Speia and Fleshshade giving it a more "Earthy" Yellow.

I will also make liberal use of Lamenters Yellow if I feel that the colour isn't strong or saturated enough.

Metals for this one was:

• Leadbelcher
  • Ironbreaker
  • Nuln Oil
  • (On Back Plates) Drakenhoff Nightshade & Nuln Oil

Pturges were:

• Nggaroth Night
  • Liquitex Interference Blue (this was also used on the weapons and drybrushed onto the back sections of the mini)

After that the whole mini was drybrushed lightly with Necron Compound all over with Emphasis being placed on Metallic Edges such as the Shoulders and Gorget.

Heres a few more shots:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a598/stampeeder/2016-04-08%2000.15.06_zpsgciigrbx.jpghttp://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a598/stampeeder/2016-04-08%2000.17.05_zpsnm6mvfzs.jpg

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a598/stampeeder/2016-04-08%2000.15.16_zpsgwcu3jcf.jpg

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a598/stampeeder/2016-04-08%2000.16.36_zps1airc61z.jpg

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a598/stampeeder/2016-04-08%2000.16.54_zps9w1w9rpe.jpg

Edited by Slipstreams

The Hammer was a Miscast sadly. Not much I could do.

And its 5 Coats applied in like...30 mins?

Edited by Slipstreams

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

that looks Mustard from my screen :happy.: good look but all you'd need is a coat of cassandora then a coat of Yriel to get a banana colour :biggrin.:

I reckon white primer will make it much more Yellow :thumbsup:

Thanks for showing your results.

this was my result with white base, Zandri dust layer :confused: (note to self - Don't ever do that again), Agrax wash "Only" in recesses then 2 layers of Averland thinned (GW's Lahmian Medium), Cassandora wash all over then 2 coats of Yriel thinned (GW's Lahmian medium).

med_gallery_9146_7882_776497.jpg

cheers Mithril