The Silent Sword Crusade - Resolve & Purpose

TheOneTrueZon

Basically it's the remains of a bunch of MDF cut-offs from a shelving project. When Blackstone fortress came out, I couldn't help but notice all the nice triangluar formations and geometry and thought, "Hmmmm... there's probably Blackstone technology peppered all about the Imperium....

So this is the start of my Armies on Parade board for 2019, in which I hope to have a majority of my Templar army completed and ready for display in October.

The backstory is that this structure (and a couple of other auxiliary terrain pieces in the works) has been discovered, researched, lost, discovered again, lost again, since before the Dark Age of Technology. Early Terran colonists came across strange structures in their expansion, but many were passed over in the need to move onto more suitable planets. During the Great Crusade, this construct was detected but exploratory mining operations of the Mechanicus, only to be lost again during the Horus Heresy and Scouring. Now, once again, Rouge Traders have come across the strange black spire with numerous layers of technology encrusted upon its frame in efforts to divine some meaning or purpose to the riddle of it's existence. Scraps of data from seismic survey conducted in M30 contain the most curious findings, showing that the structure itself extends well below the surface past the range of scans (2,000 meters).

The Defiler was the only thing that I could really perch on the rocks safely to give the picture some scale, fret not brethren, it will be purged in due time.

That's good worldbuilding- something all too rare in 019.M3. Will you include Blackstone Fortress units in future games, i.e., have a Rogue Trader as the Templars' "ally" (the "alliance" a punishment the Inquisition forced upon the Templars, who'd otherwise not waste time babysitting the pampered peacock), or as another target to be purged?

• 2 weeks later...

That's good worldbuilding- something all too rare in 019.M3. Will you include Blackstone Fortress units in future games, i.e., have a Rogue Trader as the Templars' "ally" (the "alliance" a punishment the Inquisition forced upon the Templars, who'd otherwise not waste time babysitting the pampered peacock), or as another target to be purged?

To put it in short, eventually someone will find out what's underneath this thing (which is another slow burn project), and it will be chock full of BSF units.

My Templars have a weakness for Ambull steaks.

Pre-ordered. Begins shipping after May 13th 

dHT13Lb.jpg

Made by legiomodels (75.00 USD, includes international shipping)

Once this is kit is available to the public in a few weeks / months, you can also buy parts individually, as stated by the creator on the site, here's a guide to the part names if you so desire:

52599394_2270456522998703_65703015848471
Edited by TheOneTrueZon

I already have a magnetized IK that I usually run as a Crusader and also have a Cerastus Castigator, I was probably going to get a Canus Rex kit for the pilot and cockpit and magentize like I did for my Crusader as I have a sweet 3rd party resin kit for CC arms. One for shooting, one for chopping, one for a bit of both. 

Gotta have three knights, the rule of threes shall remain forever and eternal. 

Edited by TheOneTrueZon

Brother, how would you rate the quality of Raging Heroes' miniatures? And by quality, I probably mean the strength of the material - the sculpts are quite cool. I've been toying around with the idea of getting some, but I'm not a fan of resin and some of the models in the range seem very fiddly and brittle.

Brother, how would you rate the quality of Raging Heroes' miniatures? And by quality, I probably mean the strength of the material - the sculpts are quite cool. I've been toying around with the idea of getting some, but I'm not a fan of resin and some of the models in the range seem very fiddly and brittle.

Your quite right, the sculpts are quite nice - but many of them have significant frailty issues. My opinion of RH stuff is that I'll use what I have from the 2nd kickstarter material, but probably won't revisit them. Their fantasy line is much stronger than the sci-fi stuff, as I'll probably be sticking with legit GW stuff as I do play at official venues from time to time. The casting quality itself varied from perfect to some slips that were significant enough I requested a replacement, but overall the company was relatively quick to get new ones to me (they're based in France).

Overall, they have some seriously killer stuff, but some of it is a hard sell to use for 40k. 

Cool, thanks for the detailed feedback.

Raging Heroes' aesthetics is indeed not in-line with what I'd expect from 40k. Some miniatures are overly sexualised, while others are too "fantasy", where armour seems to be "just" plate armour and not power armour (probably because some kits are used for both their fantasy and sci-fi line). Despite that, I've been thinking about getting some models, in particular a lady who looks very much like the Inquisitor from DoW2: Retribution, with a brimmed hat and stuff. If I recall, her pose was quite similar to that of your rogue trader.

Cool, thanks for the detailed feedback.

Raging Heroes' aesthetics is indeed not in-line with what I'd expect from 40k. Some miniatures are overly sexualised, while others are too "fantasy", where armour seems to be "just" plate armour and not power armour (probably because some kits are used for both their fantasy and sci-fi line). Despite that, I've been thinking about getting some models, in particular a lady who looks very much like the Inquisitor from DoW2: Retribution, with a brimmed hat and stuff. If I recall, her pose was quite similar to that of your rogue trader.

I also forgot to mention, if you're looking for characters Artel W has some of the best stuff out there for 3rd party. I snagged a bunch of his stuff before it got C&D'd by GW and the quality since then has only improved. Like this:

838428250.jpg

This is the base model I used for the Rogue Trader from RH (www.ragingheroes.com/products/huntress-s-sf):

THE_HUNTRESS_SCIFI__blister_card_Resin_S

Haha, it turns out that's exactly the model from Raging Heroes that I wanted to buy. Well, that's nice to see it painted ;)

As for Artel W, I've seen their stuff - the more moderate/toned done models are great, but I struggle to justify the shipping costs to my country.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This just landed on my doorstep today.... Forge World Hephaestion answers the call! My crusade has some Knightly upgrades incoming soon.

il_fullxfull.2091048513_5puj.jpg

il_794xN.2091048769_osvl.jpg

EDIT: Link to esty store for anyone insterested:
https://etsy.me/2oIgbIQ

Edited by TheOneTrueZon

• 4 months later...