The Silent Sword Crusade - Resolve & Purpose

TheOneTrueZon

I've been tabarding! After watching some tutorials by the FB user Dawn Crusade - I commissioned him to do tabards for my Primaris HQ. Here's two of them:

FKYR4hz.jpg

As an art teacher told me once (back in the day when we used books in class) - "there's looking at art on page in a book, and then there's going to a museum and seeing the real thing". I've learned that a good reference makes all the difference. Here's some of my Primaris Intercessors with tabards sculpted by myself, that are in the beginning phases of painting:

nMYlQMW.jpg

And here's some that are sculpted and based but unassembled. At one point early on I didn't realize that most of the chest would be obscured by the Bolter so I stopped trying to work out the chest area too much. KISS method prevails. 

80nriLG.jpg

And after some practice - I've done about 15 Primaris with tabards so far, I have this Primaris Sword Brethren mocked up and ready for ETL, some extra bits on here courtesy of Rogue Crusader / Red Dog Minis:

YpbN96r.jpg

Link to the Dawn Crusade FB page, tutorials are in his video page.

Great tabards, now they are real Black Templars !

How hard was it to sculpt them ? I might try myself on my intercessors but my sculpting skills are not very good. 

The sword brethren with extra bits is excellent too. 

Thank you! I highly suggest you try your own, it's like a gateway to a whole other world of possibilities if you give it some time and practice. It's probably not has hard as you think but there's definitely a learning curve and the right tools make an incredible amount of difference. There's a lot of the things that will certainly help any tabard crafting using green / brown stuff, like letting the material cure out for about an hour before working on it - that way it shapes more like fabric, you have to push it around a bit more. If you work with it without curing first the epoxy will respond much differently. I also use silicone shaped sculpting tools, such as these (https://bit.ly/2HKLfga) - the triangle shaped head is the one I use 90% of the time. It's perfect for making valleys and folds. Always a good idea to find something that serves as a test mini and do some practice runs before you get to the main event. The tutorial on the Dawn Crusade page is really good, but there's a multitude of others out there.

Saw these and thought these might make nice Neophyte / Reiver proxies (with some head swaps):

31285956_352824521894784_606985406794145

31280214_352824458561457_436495296818187

Also extra points that the heads are based on "The Expendables" characters, and that cyber dog! My Marshall needs a familiar:

31302014_352824601894776_459849038643509

Edited by TheOneTrueZon

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...