The Silent Sword Crusade - Resolve & Purpose

TheOneTrueZon

No worries, glad to share! I'm going to be using this for my Templar contingent on swords, bolters, exhaust pipes on vehicles. Perhaps doing an all chrome undercoat and then doing a lot of washes to give it a metallic black look? 

I will be doing my RH Sisters of Battle (Order of the Silver Rose) with all chrome armor like the Sisters of Silence I tested these on.

My only critique is that the dual blade itself doesn't seem very practical.

++ MECHANICUS FABRICATOR GENERAL ++

+ FORGE WORLD IVEZ +

- Personal Log Entry -

M36.789

Further research has validated, to some degree, the report provided by Archmagos Chronchitus. His observations no longer appear be functional failure of optics and frontal lobe implants, as previously believed. Rather, he has discovered another instance of an aberrant successor chapter of Astarte known as the Black Templars appropriating relics of Terra without surrendering them for inspection to proper channels for evaluation and entry into the record. I will be filing a petition immediately to the Fabricator General of Mars to acquire writ and seal to reclaim and study the close combat weapon designated model "Argentium Hasta" (Terra M30.989 ref: AM/doc/1247.435.01.30.989), A pair of powered swords that can be combined at the hilt to form a described "sword staff". The other function, which is not contained in the original record, is that one of the swords can be fired laterally as a projectile. Once more, the report also states a chain was affixed to the projectile sword so that the user could then pull the impaled target into the range or prevent escape. The Templar who was witnessed using this relic was said to have shouted "get over here" each time he shot, and reeled in fleeing xenos. The recovery of this relic is imperative as it is a rare example of carbon laced mithrilite alloy. 

Yes it did. I smudged a sword pretty badly on my first test and thought I would have to strip it, but another coat pretty much erased it and didn't soften up the lines too much. 

EDIT - I'm actually doing a run of new pics of chrome pen work tonight, including a video. 

Edited by TheOneTrueZon

It so nice how it catches the light, pictures don't / can't really do it justice IMHO. It will certainly make your Sigismund stand out on the table (as if it won't already). 

.. and the hair sculpt to match the source material is just aces. ACES I SAY! Most excellent indeed, 

What size pen did you use for the swords guys?

I used the 1mm for the script in the middle and the 2mm for the blade.

You don't want to be drawing back and forth over the blade too much as the ink comes out very wet and forms a nice layer in one coat.

so I would suggest the 2mm for most blades but if there are  any smaller details you will probably have to get both.

How Do you create your GIFs?

When it was rotating you could clearly see the sword reflecting light as it went round, could solve the photograph problem!

Also what type or rotating display do you have?

The GIFs are generated in After Effects, but there's plenty of online converters that will do the same thing - only difference being that the online versions often put caps on length and resolution. My process is shooting a video with a DSLR (I use my Canon 5DM2 with a 100mm Macro) on the turntable - which to answer your question is a jewelry store display case kind which I got for $2 at the local Sears going out of business sale, definitely made in China and super wonky. Once I bring the video into Adobe After Effects, do a couple adjustments to balance the color, I export it as a 1920x1080 H264 (.mp4), then create a downrez'd GIF with Adobe Media Encoder, it has presets just for GIFs.

I'm using the latest and greatest from Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 as my office uses that stuff extensively, but this whole workflow is the same going back to CS6 so you don't need anything fancy to do this. The same could even be accomplished with freeware like FFMPEG and using an online converter. Practically the same result, but I'm a perfectionist and some online GIF generators are laden with spy & malware (streaming video with a side of botnet, yes please!), so pick your poison. And GIFs are poison, once you make one you can help yourself but make more.

I shot some stuff last night and will be posting some more this weekend. 

More work with the chrome pens. Here's some WIP work for the next set I'll be painting once I finish the Sword Brethren Assault Squad that's currently on the bench. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I've been wanting to do some bigger group shots on a turntable for a bit now, but I think the cheap one I got on the fly is too unstable for my discerning eye. I'm going to make my own DIY table that is a bit bigger but not motorized so I can do a stop-motion style that allows me to use the magnets on the arms to add movement (guns raising, sword chopping), make the motion smoother, and allow me to go kinda crazy with the visual effects stuff that I can add in (muzzle flash, ground impacts, backgrounds that track with the motion). Going to keep making them bigger and grander with the more minis that I have painted. Hope you enjoy!

giphy.gif

Thank you for the brilliant discovery of the chrome pen! I'll be on the look-out for one in my local hobby centers or get a couple online.

The female Astartes is an excellent idea, and overall, your fluff is impressive to read through. I like the back story a lot.

Can't wait to see more!

++ Swords at Dawn ++

http://i.imgur.com/czMf7b9.jpg

It was just before dawn above the cloudline. An odd quiet was upon the air, a stillness among the wind-swept rock. The morning watch upon the battlements caught sight of a lone figure, clad in gleaming silver armor branding a greatsword. The alarm sounded and more mustered to the wall. Stopping far from the gate, the intruder raised the sword high, then in an ornate swing brought the hilt to the chest and stood there silently in that stance.

A Sword Brethren recognized the salute.

“It has issued a challenge by the sword. Whoever this is knows formal protocol of the Astarte…”

“Then we shall answer that challenge,” Brother Marius replied as he arrived to the battlement, “for we shall not take trespass upon our sanctuary casually.”

He looked to the nearest Initiate and Neophyte and scowled.

“It appears the perimeter alarms were not properly activated. Anyone approaching the peak should have tripped them well before getting to the gate.”

“My lord we ran a full spectrum of tests on the perimeter, Forgemaster Vauxo himself approved the results!” the Initiate replied.

Marius looked back at the figure as his internal overlay displayed the perimeter tests. They were indeed working properly. The sun was beginning to rise behind the shelf of clouds.

“Call for Brother Karos, today we shall see his sword mastery at work.”

Within the chapel proper, Brother Karos was in deep meditation. The sanctified incense and blessed candles filled the air with slowly drifting wisps of thick smoke. He felt the vibration of the quick steps before the sound of footfalls reached down the vaulted corridor leading to the sanctuary. Two Sword Brethren stopped before the antechamber and kneeled.

“A challenge of the sword has been issued at the gate, Brother Karos. Will you accept?”

He said nothing, stood, turned, and began walking down the corridor to the armory, that was answer enough. The two Sword Brethren fell in line behind him.

The sun was just fully up from behind the clouds, turning the figure into a silhouette. The gates of the fortress thundered as the giant internal mechanisms opened just enough to permit just one through the gates. Out strode Brother Karos, the black armor contrasting against the gleaming sheen of the artificer power sword in each hand. Anyone who was not assigned to duty was at the battlements, watching as he walked to meet his challenger.

As he neared, the optics in his helm began to return data which seemed impossible. It was clear to him this was a woman, head shaven, save a flowing red topknot. The lower part of her face was concealed by an ornate gorget. Her eyes were fixed upon him, and he saw within them a red ruby gleam in the iris. He strode closer and certain feeling of unease came upon him. It was fleeting, but his caution heightened. The distance closed, each one of them sized up the other.

“I accept your challenge of the sword, I am Sword Brother Karos of the Templar order. Who are you to seek martial challenge.”

The woman’s free hand slowly extended out, and began to gesture. Karos recognized it as Astarte Battlemark, though he needed no translation his helm overlay began to interpret the sign language.

::I am Telemanria, Excruciatus of the Silent Sisterhood. I have come to judge your use of Pariahs::

“There are no pariahs here, Excruciatus, only Templars.”

::I shall state my terms then, Sword Brother Karos::

Karos nodded his assent.

::Challenge of skill. First to land an unanswered strike shall be the better::

Again, he silently nodded his assent.

::I seek an audience with your Marshal should I be the better::

“And if I am the better?” Karos replied.

::Kill me, release me or take me prisoner. I care not if I am defeated::

“Your terms are acceptable.” He raised the sword in his left hand and gave Telemanria his salute.

She mirrored it, and gracefully went into a low stance and leveled the greatsword toward him.

With sudden and explosive energy, Karos charged and lunged in an aggressive alpha strike, arcing both swords downwards.

From the battlements the challenge was a blur of silver and black. Each was masterful in their own right. Telemanria was the pinnacle of efficiency. No move was wasted, every angle calculated. Karos contrasted with unrelenting blows, varying between a high attack and sweeping low parries. A masterful reposte disarmed Karos of his right handed sword. He counted with a two handed up swing that unfooted Telemanria, falling to her back. Karos lunged at the opportunity, bringing the sword down to surely end the match, but the sword tip bit only into rock. As the blade fell she rolled quickly and sprang to her feet with such speed that Karos didn’t have time to recover. Her blade had found it’s mark. She stood just behind him to his left flank, sword tip poised at the back his helm.

From the battlements, Marius could see Karos giving his salute. Soundly beaten, he walked back to the gates with Telemanria in step behind him. He raised his commander on an internal vox line

“Marshal MacLaren, we have an unannounced visitor seeking an audience…”

• 3 weeks later...

++ New WIP Work ++

Artificer Tartaros Terminators

Ancient and steeped in history of countless battles.

http://i.imgur.com/gql0TdZ.jpg

Tartaros Mk.2 "Celeritas" Terminators

Rebuild from the ground up to maximize agility and speed, these Terminator variants are truly terrifying in their efficiency for carnage. 

http://i.imgur.com/TQU1GwQ.jpg

• 3 weeks later...