Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Silent Sword Crusade

fluff black templar background crusade

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 269 posts
  • Chapter Name: Silent Sword Crusade

No worries, glad to share! I'm going to be using this for my Templar contingent on swords, bolters, exhaust pipes on vehicles. Perhaps doing an all chrome undercoat and then doing a lot of washes to give it a metallic black look? 

I will be doing my RH Sisters of Battle (Order of the Silver Rose) with all chrome armor like the Sisters of Silence I tested these on.

"The pointy end goes in the Xeno" - Unknown Templar addressing Hive Helsreach schoolchildren

http://www.bolterand...-sword-crusade/

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpg ETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificer Knightfall%20Champion_zpskdh4njkp.jpg

AndrewChristlieb

AndrewChristlieb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,520 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templar
Nice, I've been trying to figure out some way to use that since I saw your post with it 😂 All that's popped to mind is Grey Knights, but I'm not a fan of them 😕

<p>I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.gallery_29004_10383_16333.jpggallery_48988_10069_16537.pngCrusade-of-Wrath-Banner_zpskditgcqh.gifgallery_29004_10383_4314.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_81492_11492_3954.jpgsml_gallery_81492_11492_822.png

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 269 posts

My only critique is that the dual blade itself doesn't seem very practical.

++ MECHANICUS FABRICATOR GENERAL ++

+ FORGE WORLD IVEZ +

- Personal Log Entry -

M36.789

Further research has validated, to some degree, the report provided by Archmagos Chronchitus. His observations no longer appear be functional failure of optics and frontal lobe implants, as previously believed. Rather, he has discovered another instance of an aberrant successor chapter of Astarte known as the Black Templars appropriating relics of Terra without surrendering them for inspection to proper channels for evaluation and entry into the record. I will be filing a petition immediately to the Fabricator General of Mars to acquire writ and seal to reclaim and study the close combat weapon designated model "Argentium Hasta" (Terra M30.989 ref: AM/doc/1247.435.01.30.989), A pair of powered swords that can be combined at the hilt to form a described "sword staff". The other function, which is not contained in the original record, is that one of the swords can be fired laterally as a projectile. Once more, the report also states a chain was affixed to the projectile sword so that the user could then pull the impaled target into the range or prevent escape. The Templar who was witnessed using this relic was said to have shouted "get over here" each time he shot, and reeled in fleeing xenos. The recovery of this relic is imperative as it is a rare example of carbon laced mithrilite alloy. 

"The pointy end goes in the Xeno" - Unknown Templar addressing Hive Helsreach schoolchildren

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpg ETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificer Knightfall%20Champion_zpskdh4njkp.jpg

NoPityNoRemorseNoFear

NoPityNoRemorseNoFear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 503 posts
  • Chapter Name: VII, VIII & XVth Legions

For the Chrome pen, did the Second layer smooth out any smudges from the first?

Check out my Sanctus Crusade projects: here

Chaos%20at%20the%20Gates%202%20Completio

Let a wave of repugnance for the enemy wash over you.

Let hatred fill you. Hate is good, for our goal is a Human galaxy.

We are called by the Emperor with a sacred duty to conquer it in His name.

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 269 posts

Yes it did. I smudged a sword pretty badly on my first test and thought I would have to strip it, but another coat pretty much erased it and didn't soften up the lines too much. 

EDIT - I'm actually doing a run of new pics of chrome pen work tonight, including a video. 

Edited by TheOneTrueZon, 13 April 2017 - 06:20 PM.

• NoPityNoRemorseNoFear likes this

NoPityNoRemorseNoFear

NoPityNoRemorseNoFear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 503 posts

Sounds good!

Here is How my first coat has gone on so far, apologies for the poor picture!

20170413_201310_zpscagwzpcf.jpg

• Marshal Mattias and TheOneTrueZon like this

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 269 posts

It so nice how it catches the light, pictures don't / can't really do it justice IMHO. It will certainly make your Sigismund stand out on the table (as if it won't already). 

.. and the hair sculpt to match the source material is just aces. ACES I SAY! Most excellent indeed, 

NoPityNoRemorseNoFear

NoPityNoRemorseNoFear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 503 posts

How Do you create your GIFs?

When it was rotating you could clearly see the sword reflecting light as it went round, could solve the photograph problem!

Also what type or rotating display do you have?

AndrewChristlieb

AndrewChristlieb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,520 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templar
What size pen did you use for the swords guys?

<p>I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.gallery_29004_10383_16333.jpggallery_48988_10069_16537.pngCrusade-of-Wrath-Banner_zpskditgcqh.gifgallery_29004_10383_4314.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_81492_11492_3954.jpgsml_gallery_81492_11492_822.png

NoPityNoRemorseNoFear

NoPityNoRemorseNoFear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 503 posts

What size pen did you use for the swords guys?

I used the 1mm for the script in the middle and the 2mm for the blade.

You don't want to be drawing back and forth over the blade too much as the ink comes out very wet and forms a nice layer in one coat.

so I would suggest the 2mm for most blades but if there are  any smaller details you will probably have to get both.

• AndrewChristlieb likes this

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 269 posts

How Do you create your GIFs?

When it was rotating you could clearly see the sword reflecting light as it went round, could solve the photograph problem!

Also what type or rotating display do you have?

The GIFs are generated in After Effects, but there's plenty of online converters that will do the same thing - only difference being that the online versions often put caps on length and resolution. My process is shooting a video with a DSLR (I use my Canon 5DM2 with a 100mm Macro) on the turntable - which to answer your question is a jewelry store display case kind which I got for $2 at the local Sears going out of business sale, definitely made in China and super wonky. Once I bring the video into Adobe After Effects, do a couple adjustments to balance the color, I export it as a 1920x1080 H264 (.mp4), then create a downrez'd GIF with Adobe Media Encoder, it has presets just for GIFs.

I'm using the latest and greatest from Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 as my office uses that stuff extensively, but this whole workflow is the same going back to CS6 so you don't need anything fancy to do this. The same could even be accomplished with freeware like FFMPEG and using an online converter. Practically the same result, but I'm a perfectionist and some online GIF generators are laden with spy & malware (streaming video with a side of botnet, yes please!), so pick your poison. And GIFs are poison, once you make one you can help yourself but make more.

I shot some stuff last night and will be posting some more this weekend. 

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 269 posts

More work with the chrome pens. Here's some WIP work for the next set I'll be painting once I finish the Sword Brethren Assault Squad that's currently on the bench. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I've been wanting to do some bigger group shots on a turntable for a bit now, but I think the cheap one I got on the fly is too unstable for my discerning eye. I'm going to make my own DIY table that is a bit bigger but not motorized so I can do a stop-motion style that allows me to use the magnets on the arms to add movement (guns raising, sword chopping), make the motion smoother, and allow me to go kinda crazy with the visual effects stuff that I can add in (muzzle flash, ground impacts, backgrounds that track with the motion). Going to keep making them bigger and grander with the more minis that I have painted. Hope you enjoy!

giphy.gif

• Race Bannon, Honda, Marshal_Roujakis and 1 other like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,256 posts
  • Chapter Name: Catachan Wolves
Impressive. Is the winged jump pack a Chapter relic, a gift from the Blood Angels, or the Assault Marines equivalent of a Company standard?

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

The Spanish Inquisitor

The Spanish Inquisitor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

Amazing Brethrens ! Love the chrome effect. 

ItchyTasty

ItchyTasty

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

I am entirely jealous of your turntable setup it's a great idea. Your Sword Brethren look very alive. Great stuff.

"I am The Emperor's sword, unwieldy in the hands of lesser men. I would see what was once great restored, I would purge the galaxy with cleansing fire in his name."
Emperor's Champion Marius Tiber, Ophidium Gulf Crusade.

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,348 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

I am totally infatuated with the "two swords, one knee" pose. Very distinctive looking.

gallery_15184_7227_34669.jpg

"All those rumors about us being intolerant and stubborn really just evolved from our history. We're actually just a fun bunch of guys who enjoy burning witches" - Anon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fluff, black templar, background, crusade

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users