The Shattered Tenth: An Iron Hands Blog

Luna707

The Shattered Tenth: The Survivors of Istvaan V

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/174372-img-8064/'>gallery_84811_11476_802320.jpg

Ok ladies and gentlemen, we all know that the Heresy Train has no brakes and now I have purchased a one way ticket on this crazy ride.

This thread will be dedicated to my true scale Iron Hands set after the events of Istvaan V. All of the members of this army will be survivors of the dropsite massacre. In this endeavor I want to capitalize on the massacre’s effect on the legion. Through my efforts I want to convey that these broken warriors are more human and less withdrawn than most Iron Hands and fight with fury instead of cold calculations. They saw their father die and have abandoned the ideals of the Great Crusade to adopt a mantra of revenge and hatred. They are suspicious of anyone hasn’t lost as much as they have and reject the aid of those who weren’t present in the murder fields of Istvaan V.

Having themselves assumed the shame and role normally reserved for the Medusan Immortals, I will refer to this ragtag group of survivors as The Immortals from here on out.

They are led in spirit by Varan Rakor, a furious Morlock who survived Ferrus’ vanguard by being buried in the wreckage of a spartan tank and later dragged to safety:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/174370-img-8060/'>gallery_84811_11476_1196995.jpg

But in practice by Adox Ra, a proficient strategist who is notorious for his cynicism and dwindling faith in the ideals of the Emperor (I’m still figuring out Ra, so no wip yet).

Varan’s base was important to me because I wanted to show that although he was once a proud ambassador of the Imperial truth, he has abandoned this seemingly noble pursuit to instead follow his hatred. To represent this I made him literally vaulting over a broken statue, a visual portrayal of the beauty he once fought for:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/174371-img-8062/'>gallery_84811_11476_1352697.jpg

He was crazy difficult to create and at one point I actually widened his torso with paperclips and a hairdryer. If there is any demand for it I’ll post the whole process!

Here are some fun pictures of the first four of my ten man veteran squad (running pride of the legion with double heavy flamers to burn that weak flesh of traitors!). I am working on the sergeant currently but he has no arms so no wip yet haha. Also I have a contemptor dready in the works that I am very excited about! This whole project has been really fun so far and I am almost finished with my paint test using the Forgeworld color scheme.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/174373-img-8066/'>gallery_84811_11476_1162788.jpg

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/174375-img-8072/'>gallery_84811_11476_742296.jpg

Posing of the dready:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/174374-img-8071/'>gallery_84811_11476_1009479.jpg

Thanks for looking Questions and Comments are Welcome!

Holly Crap! All of this positive support has been wonderful to read through! Thank you all for your encouraging comments and likes!

I'll put my responses to everyone in the spoiler (I think I will at least, I have no idea how to navigate this site):

HOLY CRAP THE POSE ON YOUR PREATOR IRON FATHER IS AMAZING >_<

Welcome aboard :')

DOUBLE HOLY CRAP!!!

That sword dude is a beast.

The flesh is weak. AND I APPROVE!

I'm really liking the Veterans and Varan, but I'm really excited to see that Contemptor!

Damn!!! Varan is an absolute beast! He really epitomises the savage and brutal side of the Xth Legion. Awesome work, bro. Looking forward to seeing some more :thumbsup:

IH don't normally interest me, but these guys are in a different league. Awesome work on them.

Thanks guys!! The sword is from a Grey Knight kit but I made a new crossbar covered up the Grey Knight stuff with a foregrip to make it look like a Claymore. Contemptor is now completely built, I'll take a photo of him when I finish the sergeant (waiting on some bits for the sergeant).

I like the use of redused cataphractii armour for the vets. I will definitely look into it for some medusan immortals.

The Apologist and MonkeyBallistic (http://deusimp.blogspot.com) have really perfected the cataphractii legs/Grey Knights torso conversion, I encourage you to check them out for more examples

Subscribed! The morlock and the dread are especially brilliant - I like the cabling around the head on Rakor.

Thanks Man! Razkor took forever I'm glad you like him

Just wow man. Eye candy at its best!

Thanks buddy!

Sweet dude
Welcome to the Xth

The Flesh is Weak

I would love to see the tutorial!!!

Since you asked I'll cook one up!

No. You're not allowed to be this amazing. There are rules against this right? RIGHT?!

IS THAT ANGRON'S HEAD?! GYVYVVYUFCBKHVTCHJIVFDXGJ?!

Definitely my favorite comment hahaha, you are too kind! Yes it is! Extra heresy

Amazing work so far man.

I totally approve of your use of Dad's head :biggrin.:

I'm glad :smile.:

Nice start, looking forward to more.

Looking amazing mate!! Crack on!!

These are bloody awesome! Can't wait to see more.

Thanks everyone!

So I am planning to make a display base for my Iron Hands that they can attach to with magnets in their feet (as you can see from the pictures Varan is attached to his base with a magnet). I was inspired by this bit of art from Medusan to do a cool display stand for the army:

gallery_84811_11476_190600.jpg

Next I'll post a thing on how I made Varan then I'll finish my veteran squad and then I will be off to painting.

Thanks again for your comments!

Edited by Luna707

The Iron Father's an absolute triumph, but he shouldn't take away all the attention from the great rank and file. I'd suggest you trim away the feedlines around the shoulder pads – there's a sort of 'halo' thing that FW use to make sure the crenellations on the rim come out crisp, and it looks like it's still in place on a couple of them.

Aside from that minor point, fantastic work – looking forward to seeing the forges burn hot! 

• 2 weeks later...

Becoming Human

gallery_84811_11476_92367.jpg

I’ve just about finished building the dreadnought and have added two more men to the veteran squad (normal marine in there for scale).

gallery_84811_11476_959944.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1721259.jpg

The guy on the right was really hard to photograph because of his positioning, sorry for the poor pictures.

More Iron Hands is always good!

Hell yeah the Flesh is weak!

The Iron Father's an absolute triumph, but he shouldn't take away all the attention from the great rank and file. I'd suggest you trim away the feedlines around the shoulder pads – there's a sort of 'halo' thing that FW use to make sure the crenellations on the rim come out crisp, and it looks like it's still in place on a couple of them.

Aside from that minor point, fantastic work – looking forward to seeing the forges burn hot!

High praise from a fantastic artist! Thank you so much for your compliments, I'm sure you can see how much your work has inspired my own. I actually left the "halo" on intentionally as it adds some size to the shoulder pads. I am not sure if I am going to keep it on or not, but good catch.

On to Painting

After much deliberation I have settled on the FW Iron Hands’ scheme. I believe this coloration not only adds to the stylistic representation of the Legion but to the narrative aspects as well. To me the Iron Hands seem far too utilitarian and attached to the pursuit of perfection through augmentation to be concerned with their outward appearance unless it directly effects their battlefield utility. So I imagine that the colors of their armor does not arise from paint but rather the tempering and treating of their ceramite until it reaches “inviolate” strength. This is my interpretation of the legion and this observation will play a major part in the themes of my army. If you look at the pictures of FW’s Iron Hands on their website, they actually have no leather represented and they are painted almost entirely with metallics. I want to show that after the death of their father, Varan Rakor and his Immortals are embracing their emotional response to the tragedy and in a sense they are “becoming human”. As a representation of this, each character I am making will have a bit of leather, cloth, or flesh exposed and some (most notably Varan) will be expressing extremes of human emotion. To make this point evident on the miniatures, these non-metallic portions (except their skin) will be painted blood red. This color scheme is not new but in my army the red and the colors of the “inviolate” ceramite will serve as a visual representation of the Immortals dichotomy and transition from unfeeling warriors of the Imperium to shattered renegades careening towards revenge and annihilation.

Color Test (no red yet):

gallery_84811_11476_99730.jpg

Even with my limited painting experience, I am rather happy with the results!

I am currently painting my first marine and will post a picture of him soon!

Question and comments are always welcome

Edited by Luna707

Looking great on the color test!

I love the molded plastrons on the MK3 bros too. That adds a perfect amount of bulk to make them look like they're really earning that Armor Inviolate :D 

Thanks guys and gals!

Actually no I did not follow it word for word. Instead of using rub n buff or Tamiya silver for the base coat I sprayed it with vallejo model air silver then washed it down with nuln oil then sprayed it with silver again from the too down to give it some zenithal highlights. I followed the rest of the scheme pretty closely after that. I tried rub n buff but it looked fracking awful and I just about threw it out the window