The Shattered Tenth: An Iron Hands Blog

Luna707

gallery_84811_11476_246218.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1785138.jpg

Quick update today, Santar is almost complete and I am very pleased with him! Two more of Clan Avernii are next (the choice of bits for these Cataphractii are stellar, stay tuned).

Thanks for stopping by!

There are certain motions in Little Horus that point to Henricos being in power armour - his strength is attributed to his augmetics, and I figure if he were in TDA that'd be mentioned. I know his helm has a grille visor and he's bulked out by cybernetics, so custom Mk III?

Sounds good, does anyone know what weapons he used on Istvaan V?

Also does anyone have information on Frater Thamatica or where I could read about him?

Edited by Luna707

The New 40k

Firstly, I am overjoyed to see the new scale GW is embracing with the Primaris line. It is fantastic to see miniatures produced that more accurately reflect the beautiful art of the Grim Darkness. I am not a fan of the increasingly cartoony aesthetic however and don't quite understand its appeal to be honest. It seems as though each new kit is becoming cleaner and moving further away from the cold universe of Warhammer. Even the new Death Guard are terribly unthreatening and look as though they just popped out of a Disney cartoon. Additionally, I believe the new lore surrounding the Primaris (and the Primarchs returning for that matter) undermines many of the unique themes of 40k.

I don't wish to dwell on the bad however, as there are a great many things to be thankful for these days! The new direction of community inclusion and innovation in the setting (even if I do not prefer this innovation) that the company has taken is truly admirable and bodes well for the future of the hobby. GW is really working hard to please its fans and is doing a superb job with that. Additionally they have breathed new life into a game that frustrated many and have worked to create a truly exciting miniature line that is not only novel but accessible as well. Sure I am a 30k fanatic and don't care much for 40k, but I am happy for the many many fans that do. It seems as though GW cares as much for the hobby as we do, and that alone is a beautiful thing!

Furthermore, with the new Primaris true scale armies are more accessible than ever and I am very pleased about that!

So how does GW's new scale for the Primaris compare to my miniatures?

gallery_84811_11476_644675.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_411790.jpg

Unfortunately not well! I was really looking forward to playing around with these kits to but it seems that I am a madman when it comes to upscaling my miniatures! They look much better than GW's previous incarnation of Astartes however they are still dwarfed by my miniatures. Oh well! I will simply continue making my legionaries my own way!

gallery_84811_11476_369106.jpg

Like...man, I approve. Like, totally.

giphy.gif

Read Angel Exterminatus. I didn't care much for the overall storyline, but Thamatica was hilarious.

Thanks man! Excellent gif choice I might add. I'm thinking about adding Thamatica into the diorama but I don't know much about him and I'm not sure how near he was to Ferrus during the battle. I shall be reading Angel Exterminatus next!

The execution of that model is brilliant, fits your view of the iron hands perfect. Dit it need a lot of green stuff love?

Thank you so much! Oh yes tons, I had to use all of the techniques I have learned to pull it together. He is actually much larger than he looks in the photo and many of the sourced bits had to be enlarged greatly to look natural on Corax's frame (the Corax model serves as his base). From a technical standpoint, he is the best and most complicated miniature conversion I have produced thus far. The pressure is on to paint him correctly now!

On a bit more of a somber note, Alan Bligh's work is the reason I love this hobby so much. In my opinion, The Horus Heresy is Warhammer at its' best and Alan's work was instrumental at creating the depth of realism and thematic aptitude I love it for. Although I never had the pleasure of knowing you, Thank you Alan, you and your work will be sorely missed.

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

It seems we share more or less congruent views as far as the ongoing changes in 40k are concerned. I have my gripes with parts of the lore and some of the new releases like pretty much everybody, but that doesn't matter much, does it? For my part it only means that I will continue to embrace the DIY aspect of the hobby, adapting both models and background as I see fit. More options and new blood is a good thing after all.

At least the new Primaris can look our guys in the eyes if they stand on their toes, so the size difference will be much less notable than before and that is what I am looking forward to the next time I play a game. :smile.:

Re: Thamatica...I think he was present in the Urgall Depression and was the longest-serving Iron Father alive after Isstvan. So location and seniority would point to him being not too far away from Ferrus, but don't nail me down on that. 

Edited by Isengrin

Ave, Imperator, Morturi te Salutant!

gallery_84811_11476_1699541.jpg

Finished my first tank yesterday and I am rather pleased with how well it came together! For some reason the Forgeworld decal sheet doesn't have a large Clan Avernii stencil insignia, so I looked into making my own decals and as it turns out you can make some pretty cool stuff with a printer and decal paper. I added the Avernii and Iron Hands symbols as well as two latin phrases to the Spartan and I am happy with the amount character it brings to the model. I highly recommend these decal sheets as mine turned out absolutely amazing: external links are being weird but just google "Bare metal custom decal film" and you will find it

gallery_84811_11476_595310.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_685879.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_731562.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1086532.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1786825.jpg

In conjunction with my diorama, I will also be making some Destroyer astartes. I understand they are a pretty poor investment gameplay wise but they are just too cool to pass up! They really embody the hatred of the Iron Hands and I have a few pretty cool ideas for them.

It seems we share more or less congruent views as far as the ongoing changes in 40k are concerned. I have my gripes with parts of the lore and some of the new releases like pretty much everybody, but that doesn't matter much, does it? For my part it only means that I will continue to embrace the DIY aspect of the hobby, adapting both models and background as I see fit. More options and new blood is a good thing after all.

At least the new Primaris can look our guys in the eyes if they stand on their toes, so the size difference will be much less notable than before and that is what I am looking forward to the next time I play a game. :smile.:

Re: Thamatica...I think he was present in the Urgall Depression and was the longest-serving Iron Father alive after Isstvan. So location and seniority would point to him being not too far away from Ferrus, but don't nail me down on that.

Keep on with the DIY, it's my favorite aspect of the hobby as well! I actually just played a small game against some Primaris and they do look much better than normal Astartes next to mine!

Thamatica is definitely going in my diorama now!

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Edited by Luna707

Models look cracking, you have far more patience and skill than I.

Did you use a normal ink-jet printer or a laser printer?

Also did you need any setting agents etc to stop te ink running when it went into the water?

Models look cracking, you have far more patience and skill than I.

Did you use a normal ink-jet printer or a laser printer?

Also did you need any setting agents etc to stop te ink running when it went into the water?

Thanks man! I used an inkjet printer, however they have decal film for laser printers as well. Yes, I used "microscale industries liquid decal film", they sell it on the bare metal website with micro set and micro sol. Be careful with the film however, it can cause decals to run if you are too aggressive. Also I have noticed a crackle effect on the decals as well after the decal film is used, I don't mind because I think it looks awesome but watch out of you don't want that.

Hope that helps!

Sure does, so you print what you want on to paper then apply the film to the paper, or do you need special paper?

This will help my Wolves come on in leaps and bounds :D.

Sure does, so you print what you want on to paper then apply the film to the paper, or do you need special paper?

This will help my Wolves come on in leaps and bounds :biggrin.:.

You print it onto special decal paper (the one I used was on Bare-Metal's website, There is different decal paper for inkjet and laser printers) then paint on the "microscale industries liquid decal film" with a brush or airbrush (in my experience a normal brush work better). Once that has dried, apply the decal normally with microset and micrsol and boom custom decals! So all in all I used the special decal paper (make sure you buy the right one for your type of printer), Liquid decal film, Miscroset, and Microsol. 

The tank looks fantastic, love the group shot as well! Seeing your true scales next to the primaris really emphasize all the bulk and presence of your Iron Hands!

Thank you! I've been trying to recreate the imposing presence of Astartes that appears in the art (yet not in the miniatures for some reason), so that is the highest compliment I could receive! 

Excellent work on the Spartan. :cool.:

Thank you! I quite like it too!

Fellow Brothers and Sisters, I am heading to medical school on Thursday. Consequently, I will have my hands full with school for the next foreseeable while. I will continue to update this page and my instagram as much as I can, however I predict that my progress will be greatly slowed. That being said, I am bringing all of my miniatures with me, so do not expect the Iron Tenth to be disappearing any time soon! I am working on my first destroyer marine currently and am almost finished with a land raider Phobos so you all will get to see at least one of those before I head out and start the next chapter of my life. 

Thanks everyone for stopping by!

Good luck with medical school.

Thanks for the info on decals, but more importantly, thank you for sharing your models & ideas with us.

Look forward to any and all updates in the future.

Agree with you on the new 40k. Lookswise I don't really enjoy the push for mickey mouse aesthetics, but a breath of fresh air into the hobby is a good thing. 30k is where it's at anyway. :wink:

Fantastic work on the tank. How did you manage the worn down stripe on the middle, hairspray technique? Gives a very realistic and narrative look.
Your legion is turning out great, looking forward for more stuff.

Edited by Markus_

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck with medical school.

Thanks for the info on decals, but more importantly, thank you for sharing your models & ideas with us.

Look forward to any and all updates in the future.

Thank you! I'll need all the luck I can get!

Sweet baby Jesus, that tank looks so feeakingly awesome. I am in love.

Thanks man! I'm rather happy with it myself

Agree with you on the new 40k. Lookswise I don't really enjoy the push for mickey mouse aesthetics, but a breath of fresh air into the hobby is a good thing. 30k is where it's at anyway. :wink:

Fantastic work on the tank. How did you manage the worn down stripe on the middle, hairspray technique? Gives a very realistic and narrative look.

Your legion is turning out great, looking forward for more stuff.

Thank you! I really appreciate it. Yeah you got it, I do the stripes with hairspray and salt weathering. It's an amazing technique, I highly recommend it, turns out quite realistic!

Med school is taking much of my time currently but I still managed to finish my first Destroyer Legionnaire the other night. I'm trying a blend of a couple different techniques with these guys, feel free to let me know what you all think!

gallery_84811_11476_573963.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bitter Iron

gallery_84811_11476_1465640.jpg

(nothing new in this one, they just were looking pretty sweet on my desk)

Becoming a Primus Medicae is incredibly time consuming, however I've still been able to sneak a few minutes here and there to work on the hobby. I've finished the Skin Walker Hussar I started working on a while ago (I believe I posted a photo a few pages back) and I've started making a cruel outline of the actual base of the Istvaan V diorama.

gallery_84811_11476_531426.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1789650.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_197384.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_976469.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1011363.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_646947.jpg

I am incredibly excited by the prospect of this diorama. I hope to have it done by next year's Armies on Parade, but I'm not making any promises! It is a quite daunting project and there are a few challenges I have yet to come up with solutions to, but here is the outline in styrofoam:

gallery_84811_11476_1121484.jpg

I wanted to write up a little thing about my thoughts on the positioning of Ferrus, Santar, and the statue of Fulgrim, but unfortunately I am low on time at the moment. Hopefully I'll be able to add another response in the next couple days.

The destroyer conveys a strong sense of movement and a feeling of his weight at the same time. Like a flung sledgehammer. :thumbsup:

Thank man, That's the exact feeling I was going for!

Yeah, looking great! Best of luck with Medical school; you'll be a Primus Medicae in no time :smile.:

Thank you sir! I'll need all the luck I can get!

Good luck with your studies, will be following this thread with a keen eye regardless.

Thanks man! Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff as well

The destroyer looks amazing, great sense of movement! Good luck with school as well, maybe new surgery skills can be applied to hobby time as well :teehee:.

hahaha I hope so, maybe I'll be able to snag some sweet surgery equipment for hobby purposes!

Sweet dreaded mother of Medusa do these look beautiful! It makes me really wish that this is what GW had made instead of Primaris (yours just look more Grimdark and Heresy), I can't wait to see the next update now :biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.:

Thank you! I really appreciate that, Grimdark is what I go for!

Luna707 beautiful Astartes, man. They look absolutely brutal.

-W

Thanks man!

Thank you everyone for stopping by!

• 2 months later...

gallery_84811_11476_365448.jpg

Just a fun picture of my Iron Tenth that my girlfriend reedited!

Med School is tedious as usual but I have been able to devote a little time to work on an Imperial Fist Huscarl for my best friend. I've been loving the challenge in creating Indomitus armor from the Guiliman model and It's coming along better than I expected to be honest. I hope to be able to complete him within the next few weeks and after that I'll be attempting a true scale Sons of Horus Justaerin. I'm planning on creating the opposing force to Ra's Immortals and expanding the mythos of my astartes and their campaign on Du'leen. I have a few characters of the Sons of Horus and Emperor's Children to create (no idea when I'll find the time for it haha) and I'm currently investigating how I can tweak their FW aesthetics to make them my own. Just as my Hands are inspired by Byzantine armor, I think I'll be going with a Macedonian aesthetic with the Sons as it will provide a good canvas to visually represent their pride and fall from grace.

Any way, here is the progress on the Huscarl:

gallery_84811_11476_1005688.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_925211.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_446459.jpg

No matter how long it will take you to finish the project, I'm sure it will look great in the end. :thumbsup:

Thanks man! Not sure it will ever end but I'll keep plugging away!

Thanks everyone for stopping by! Questions and comments are always welcome