The Shattered Tenth: An Iron Hands Blog

Luna707

Fantastic work so far Luna, I love the gritty feel of your miniatures - there are definite aspects of John Blanche artwork and Alan Bligh writing living in those little resin dudes. 

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Oh my goodness man, this is perhaps the most amazing custom work I have ever seen, the level of detail and scale you've put into these minis is amazing! Looking at the pictures from your battle, I just gawked at how huge the terminators were in comparison to that tiny captain! Truly inspiring my friend, you have done very well! Looking forward to seeing more!

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone!

Unfortunately I have nothing new to show you all but I would like to let you guys know that I'm still alive, just busy right now. Medical School has really been kicking me around lately and haven't had too much time to devote to the hobby. However, I am making a few things for a few different people and been having a good time branching out and making singular models for different legions.

I posted the Imperial Fist Huscarl on the previous page and am still working on him, but I have also embarked on making two Salamanders characters for my girlfriend. I am currently mapping out how to approach a Fire Drake as well as a 18th Legion Delegatus. I really love the spirit of the Salamanders and the character of their legion but to me they have have the silliest aesthetic and ugliest legion colors. I'm going to try to make them appear a little bit less like "Hot Wheels Dragon dudes" and take more of a  Ku:cusse/Carthaginian/Numidian approach to them. I'm trying to think of a good way to incorporate some sort of heat resistant gambeson type thing and maybe doing some very faint armor "tattoos". If you guys have any suggestions, feel free to post them! 

When I finish the Huscarl and the Fire Drake, that will be three legions that I will have made a legion specific terminator for. I hope I'll be able to make a singular true scale terminator model for every legion eventually, I just have so much fun with them! On to responses:

The photo edit looks great, as does the Hurscarl, looking forward to seeing more of him.

Thanks mate! I am looking forward to finishing him, been a really fun model to work on

Fantastic work so far Luna, I love the gritty feel of your miniatures - there are definite aspects of John Blanche artwork and Alan Bligh writing living in those little resin dudes. 

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Thanks man! That's about the best praise I could receive, those are my Warhammer heroes right there.

Amazing work... All of it.

Is the Imperial Fists heraldry on the truescale Indomitus greenstuff sculpted by hand?

Thank you kindly! I had to sculpt parts of it to make it fit (unfortunately I botched it in places) but those are from various Imperial Fist Forgeworld pieces. Also,  I used a blue stuff cast of the writing on the Imperial Fist Command Set sword to add the writing above the pauldron rims on the main carapace. You can't see them too well but I think it's pretty cool.

Oh my goodness man, this is perhaps the most amazing custom work I have ever seen, the level of detail and scale you've put into these minis is amazing! Looking at the pictures from your battle, I just gawked at how huge the terminators were in comparison to that tiny captain! Truly inspiring my friend, you have done very well! Looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you so much! Those photos always make me smile hahaha I'm happy you like them!

Thanks for stopping by everyone! Questions and comments are always welcome! 

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing to see here, just commenting so the mods don't remove my project! 

Actually I do have a question for anyone who wants to answer, I'm going to be constructing some Sons of Horus pretty soon and my original plan was to make them pretty devoid of any sort of warp corruption, however I've been getting the urge lately to use some of those amazing Gal Vorbak bits to add a little corruption to the army- maybe make a squad of Luperci or something similar? I think a squad of Gal Vorbak inspired cataphractii would be an interesting challenge but I'm not sold yet. Thoughts anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Just piping in to show my support and that I am reaally interested to see your take on SoH Possessed / Luperci.

I toyed with idea of having some packs of Luperci terrorizing the players in our local Legion Wars RPG but there is so little fluff on them that I pushed it back to Season III. So, really keen on seeing your ideas here ;)

• 1 month later...

Something a little bit different for you all, a Salamander's Firedrake:

gallery_84811_11476_1456990.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1441994.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1378465.jpg

This chap will go on a diorama for my girlfriend's birthday that will include two Salamanders, some feral sisters of silence, and a rogue trader made from one of Artel w's kits. I'm not fond of the Salamander's aesthetic at all, so I tried to do a different rendition of the legion that emphasized scaled armor and heat resistant gambison like fabric instead of actual scales and drake skin. I'm planning on painting them a drab green and adding some African inspired "tattoos" to their armor and forgoing the whole hotwheels flaming hotrod look.

After that I've got the Huscarl I have been working on for a while then TWO Iron Hands leviathans and an Iron Hands Typhon siege tank.

After those projects I have a ludicrously expensive conversion that has an uncomfortably possible chance of failing, I hope I'll get a chance to work on it before the year is out! Here's a little tease:

gallery_84811_11476_1211461.jpg

I'd love to see you tackle the Luperci. I suspect the next few HH novels are going to show a more monstrous side to the Sons of Horus, and you'll be glad to have the jump on the models! :biggrin.:

Glad to have you're support, I think I am going to go for it! I have had my eye on the Gal Vorbak kit for years, I'm glad I will finally have an excuse to buy it!

Here's hoping we get some good Aximand and Abaddon portrayals.

Now that's an idea....

Just piping in to show my support and that I am reaally interested to see your take on SoH Possessed / Luperci.

I toyed with idea of having some packs of Luperci terrorizing the players in our local Legion Wars RPG but there is so little fluff on them that I pushed it back to Season III. So, really keen on seeing your ideas here :wink:

It's settled! I'm going to try it! They may not make an appearance for a while but I'll get around to them this year hopefully!

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Pfff, first you tease Luperci....and then this! Salamanders?! Really?! :p

Of course, since it's for your girl, all is forgiven. The things you do for love and all that.

And by now I am quite curios to see your take on them and your voice of aesthetics seems already more interested then green with scales and lots of flames. The flame projector spear thingy is already looking great.

Ooh man, that Salamander is jaw-dropping, I am really looking forward to see it painted! Your girlfriend surely is in for a treat (having a partner that is into the hobby too has to be something great).

Also expecting more info on that conversion project, considering the base models for your terminator conversions I am certainly curious about what you consider "ludicrously expensive" :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ex Oblivio

gallery_84811_11476_1384522.jpg

From a time unremembered, when the Oblivion Knights still walked the face of the waters and the Sons of Thunder shook the Heavens...

Another piece in my ongoing "Warband for my Girlfriend", this one is a Unification Wars era proto-Sister of Silence- from when before the Order had its true genesis. She's almost done save for the hilt on her sword and some other bits. What do you all think color wise? I'm thinking white cloth with silver armor however I'm not sure yet. Up next I have a Lunar Clade Navigator, which is going to be real strange. I'm particularly jazzed about it currently- so stay tuned!

Pfff, first you tease Luperci....and then this! Salamanders?! Really?! :tongue.:
Of course, since it's for your girl, all is forgiven. The things you do for love and all that.

And by now I am quite curios to see your take on them and your voice of aesthetics seems already more interested then green with scales and lots of flames. The flame projector spear thingy is already looking great.

Hahahaha! That is quite the switcheroo, sorry about that! I'll be working on the Luperci later, hopefully before the end of the year- I'm brainstorming ideas for them now. Thanks for the kind words! I have another Sally boy nearing completion now, I should be able to post him soon.

Ooh man, that Salamander is jaw-dropping, I am really looking forward to see it painted! Your girlfriend surely is in for a treat (having a partner that is into the hobby too has to be something great).
Also expecting more info on that conversion project, considering the base models for your terminator conversions I am certainly curious about what you consider "ludicrously expensive" :biggrin.:

Thanks man! Yeah, she's pretty stoked about this warband.

I'll quite being coy about it, I'm planning on converting an Astraeus into a truescaled Caestus Assault Ram. Ever since I saw the preview of the Astraeus I could not shake the thought of this conversion and after three weeks of planning I decided to go for it. So now I have a Astraeus in a box and I'm a too scared to tear into it for now. I'm planning on starting it in a few months

This plog is pure joy! Outstanding conversions.

Thank you! It was a joy to make, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

That's a very chunky Drake, as you say, he's showing a very different side to what we normally see/think of the Salamanders.

The proto-sister is a fantastic model, you've given her a really nice pose, it's always interesting to see more passive poses. Could we see a few more angles?

As usual, your proto-sister is top notch!

And i can relate to the anxiety regarding the Assault RAM vonversion. I have quite a LIT of FW Stoff lyung around and can't get myself to paint it because it could "ruin"it.

Chopping it up and remodelling it....impossible!

You at least seem to have the skill to pull it off! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow! I'm always enthused when i see people tacking the intractable problem of how to truescale Terminators. That's a very, very cool effort, i have to say! Makes a lot more sense in some regards than the original [regular 'scale'] FW models also. 

And it's additinally super legit to see more people getting into the Unification Wars side of things as well :D 

Keep up the excellent output!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for the computer for a while but I have a giant photo dump of all my wips I have going on right now, so without further ado here are a few more shots of the Salamanders and the proto sister:

gallery_84811_11476_669211.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_990641.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1392783.jpg

And here is the second Salamander that hasn't received a close up yet:

gallery_84811_11476_109082.jpg

And now on to the Imperial Fists! Here is another wip of the Huscarl that has been making the rounds here and there (Ignore his shield, I'm still trying to figure it out atm)

gallery_84811_11476_591036.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_104901.jpg

He's a bit large hahaha

gallery_84811_11476_369021.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1223856.jpg

And now something I've been working on for my girlfriend: a Rogue Trader converted from an excellent ArtelW miniature

gallery_84811_11476_809450.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_242633.jpg

gallery_84811_11476_1173448.jpg

Now for something a bit bizarre, a VERY early wip of a Lunar Clade Navigator

gallery_84811_11476_1169258.jpg

I'm short on time today so unfortunately that will do it for me, but thank you all for stopping by! Questions and Comments are always welcome!

Edited by Luna707

That's a very chunky Drake, as you say, he's showing a very different side to what we normally see/think of the Salamanders.

The proto-sister is a fantastic model, you've given her a really nice pose, it's always interesting to see more passive poses. Could we see a few more angles?

Thanks man! I'm thinking about exploring passive poses more, I find them very interesting. 

As usual, your proto-sister is top notch!

And i can relate to the anxiety regarding the Assault RAM vonversion. I have quite a LIT of FW Stoff lyung around and can't get myself to paint it because it could "ruin"it.

Chopping it up and remodelling it....impossible!

You at least seem to have the skill to pull it off! :wink:

Hahahaha You are too kind! I don't work with vehicles often so I'm not sure if I have those kinds of skills! 

Oh wow! I'm always enthused when i see people tacking the intractable problem of how to truescale Terminators. That's a very, very cool effort, i have to say! Makes a lot more sense in some regards than the original [regular 'scale'] FW models also. 

And it's additinally super legit to see more people getting into the Unification Wars side of things as well :biggrin.: 

Keep up the excellent output!

Thanks man! I've done quite a few upscaled terminators before and every time it's a challenge! It never gets easier. I love the Unification Wars, it really captures my imagination. I would love it if FW explored it a bit in the future. I'll do my best!

The Rogue Trader looks absolutley capital, the rotation of her hips fits the angle of travel and weight of the lance just right.

The clade navigator is certainly esoteric and bizarre, very much in fitting with his type; I look forward to seeing more.

The new Salamander is promising, however I feel the proportions are off; his head seems to project quite far from his shoulders and looks over-extended. Perhaps moving the shoulder pads up a little and taking some height from the neck could remedy this?

Never disappointed when you drop updates.
Not so sure about the huscarl's size anymore, but other than that those are some very solid conversions. Really liking the Salamander dude's experimental volkite gun with all it's extra bells and whistles. The posing for the Rogue Trader is also spot in. The navigator takes the cake though. It's just absolutely bizarre, like a Blanchesque fever dream. Looking forward to see all this come to life.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rogue Trader looks absolutley capital, the rotation of her hips fits the angle of travel and weight of the lance just right.

The clade navigator is certainly esoteric and bizarre, very much in fitting with his type; I look forward to seeing more.

The new Salamander is promising, however I feel the proportions are off; his head seems to project quite far from his shoulders and looks over-extended. Perhaps moving the shoulder pads up a little and taking some height from the neck could remedy this?

Oh man! That's is the trouble of looking at the same miniature for too long, you miss the obvious stuff. Thanks for the spot, you're absolutely right, I'll have to adjust the arms+pauldrons a bit. 

I'm glad you like the rest of the crew!

Never disappointed when you drop updates.

Not so sure about the huscarl's size anymore, but other than that those are some very solid conversions. Really liking the Salamander dude's experimental volkite gun with all it's extra bells and whistles. The posing for the Rogue Trader is also spot in. The navigator takes the cake though. It's just absolutely bizarre, like a Blanchesque fever dream. Looking forward to see all this come to life.

All of my terminators are in that scale actually and I'm working on bringing my power armor up to that size as well (they're close and some are there, but I want to bring all of my models to the same scale point). It actually shocked me how large he was next to a normal cataphractii, I don't own any normal Astartes so I lose perspective on their size. Thanks man! I'm glad you like them, the Navigator is a model that I've been planning for a while and I'm especially jazzed about him. I'm glad he's a hit!

The Random Miniature Creation Continues!

gallery_84811_11476_2261.jpg

As you all can probably tell, I'm pretty jazzed about this Rogue Trader project I've embarked upon. It's been the perfect opportunity to make a ton of unique models that I don't have to worry about replicating and I've relished in it so far! Coming up next I have another random experiment: A proto Sisters of Silence dreadnought conversion based on the Machinen Krieger model above. Nowhere near complete however I was too excited about the project to keep it to myself. I've had my eye on Ma. K miniatures for a while and I am pretty excited to finally find an excuse to use one in my conversion escapades.

Which strange/non-40k models have you all been wanting to convert for 40k?

Edited by Luna707