[WIP] Captains heresy log: new wb herald wip p4

captainblow

Hey guys,

I've been reading this forum a lot, but havent posted much. Mostly because there wasn't anything to post.

I had two weeks off recently and finally managed to get a start on my mechanicum!

I really like the way FW paints their Iron Hands, the green/purpleish black.
This was my attempt at it.

24170272560_bcc8e5d85c_z.jpg

24170271240_f3c0f5140b_z.jpg

24170270950_851bc85597_z.jpg

24383441511_6bb2fd89eb_z.jpg

23839055453_5aa9883406_z.jpg

24383438881_4a5c0ea0c1_z.jpg

24098073979_3746086b22_z.jpg

24383436481_a670cbca11_z.jpg

23837656954_df27505c5a_z.jpg

24357556802_01c6477705_z.jpg

24357554472_78469f7c53_z.jpg

23837654214_45fbef8a77_z.jpg

Still a ton of work left on these guys, not to mention the pile of resin left to build smile.png

If you got any tips or remarks, please feel free to comment!
I'll try to update this with pictures once a week, but can't promise anything.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Woa these are awesome! Could you post a run down on how you painted them?

I'm on my phone so forgive me.

I presume you want to know about the "black" ?

I mostly followed http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/286437-forge-worlds-iron-hands-painting-guide/

As I don't have the rub & buff stuff I airbrushes on a dark metallic colour (think it was vallejo magnesium, from the new airbrush metallics line) from the top down, and a lighter metallic on the most raised areas.

I followed the guide, and at the end as it was still somewhat too light for my taste, I washed them with a black (oil) wash, only cleaning off the most raised areas.

I hope that helps, if you have more questions I'm glad to answer them when I get home later today.

Great work! It's nice to see more Mechanicum and especially more Ordo Reductor. :D

As to the weathering, personally I prefer my metals a little darker but I think it really depends on what you want the final look to be.

Thanks man.

My idea was to keep the trim bright so it would be a nice contrast to the large dark areas.

Looking back at it though, I think the trim could do with some more shading.

• 2 weeks later...

Would you mind explaining how you painted that amazing gold? I've been looking for something exactly like it.

Not at all man, i start with black usually.

-vallejo old gold

-gw sepia wash

-vallejo old gold

-vallejo gold highlights

-vallejo silver with just a little gold added for the most extreme highlights

-gw violet wash in the deepest shadows

Looks like a lot of steps but you go through them easily. Hope that helps

Is it bad that I drooled over the beautiful paint-job on these models? The red on that blood angel has me utterly jealous, despite him being a loyalist.

Haha thanks man glad you like it, I have some not so loyal red marines coming as well. Gonna try metallic red for those.

Would you mind breaking down your steps when you post the red traitors? I'm debating between a deep red similar to your blood angel, or the metallic red you mention. Either way, you look to be the guy to go to for solid step by step painting break-downs.

Would you mind breaking down your steps when you post the red traitors? I'm debating between a deep red similar to your blood angel, or the metallic red you mention. Either way, you look to be the guy to go to for solid step by step painting break-downs.

I'll make sure to write something by then, you give me way too much credit though! 

In somewhat related news, had no time to paint anything today, but managed to get some plasticard bent. 

For this guy:

24808037621_87463771e0_z.jpg

Originally he was supposed to be the standard bearer in a terminator command squad, but he might get promoted to herald i guess.

I want to try sculpting some candles near the skull, the daemon head I'm still not 100% sure on, opinions?

Hey guys,

Little update on the WB herald.

(Blu tac'd together for the photoshoot)

24594405629_117affbc41_z.jpg

24666529760_45133b09b6_z.jpg

Candles are still very much wip, but I like where they're going. The head grew a bit on me as well, figure I'll add a book (of Lorgar) on him somewhere as well, as you can see he's been praying!

Oh right, and the banner topper will be blue if it stays smile.png

Anyway, opinions/tips?

Archived