A Carnival of Monsters - World Eaters Log

Billy Butcher

After much deliberation and umming and arring my decision is taken.

World Eaters

Actually I didn't pick, I couldn't decide, so I let my daughter decide between Eaters and Fists :biggrin.:

So I now start work on the 512th Company of the World Eaters - The Sons of Arkam.

I haven't fully fleshed out the back story yet, but the gist is as follows:

The Eaters 'complied' a system (haven't decided a name yet) and on one the main worlds moon they discovered a penal colony, the moons name was Arkam.

The main world would transport it's convicted citizens there for life 'once you go to Arkam, you don't come back' via drop pod or something similar (1 way trip) - being a 'civilised' world they did not have a death penalty.

The Eaters discovered a strong, remarkably stable, society on Arkam, one that struck a chord with much of their own sentiment, a rule of law existed on Arkam - might was right, any and all disputes were settled under trial by combat.

Something else that characterised the population of Arkam was that the mother world would chemically dye a convicts right hand permanently red to show their status as criminals for transportation to Arkam, on Arkam this became a symbol of unity, one that would echo in the 512th with the bloodied fist.

In an increasingly rare moment of lucidity, following the 'compliance' of the home world, Arkam's population was not slaughtered brought to compliance in the usual XII Legion fashion but instead was seen as an ideal opportunity to replenish the ranks of the XII. The population was strong, fierce and free of taint. All suitable males were inducted into the World Eaters.

The resulting intake was formed into a single force, the 512th, under the command of Kelrad Strax (more on him later), the culture of the World Eaters coming naturally to the Sons of Arkam (as they would refer to themselves, and in time be referred to by others).

As a mark of unity, and without official sanction, paying homage to their origins, they paint their right gauntlet blood red.

So Santa was good to me, I have 2 Calth sets and a Deredo, plus lots of things in the bits box.

The pictures come later :smile.:

Edited by Harrypotter

Did some initial work, built 2, 10 man squads and a contemptor (magentised, which was a pain the way I did it).

gallery_32173_11661_123197.jpg

Base colours down and glossed ready for oil washes.

In terms of painting methodology I have very little free time to paint (long houred job with commuting and 4 kids), so I have to maximise my efficiency, base recipe for the white is Vallejo White Surface Primer, Vallejo French Blue where needed and the glossed with Future ready for a Paynes Grey oil wash, once dry this is then cleaned up and sealed with matt. Oils are superb for this, very forgiving and controllable.

End result is something like this:

gallery_32173_10716_210071.jpg

Penal colony named Arkam? I believe Batman Night Haunter might have something to say about that.

Angry Ron phoned him up via Astropath, he was cool with it :)

AKA, I liked the name, I'm a Lovecraft fan - I refrained from using an anagram of Gotham for the home world :-p

Sweet! 

Lovecraft references and Twelfth legion? Off to a flying start.

Also, the daughter sounds like a very intelligent young lady :biggrin.:

The other cheesy bits are 512 and Strax

512 is 8*8*8 :biggrin.:

And Strax is my favourite character from Dr Who, and his first name is Darlek spelled backwards :D

And yes she is, and she likes Daddy's Toys very much :smile.:

Edited by Harrypotter

Chaplain was a quick half hour tester.

As I couldn't decide a legion I edged my bets with the first 20, they do have the giant combat blades (they and the bolters are airbrushed with Vallejo Metal Colour Gunmetal - which is amazing stuff).

The rest will be true Eaters (raided my bits box for CSM, Warrior of Chaos and 40K Space Marine bits).

Gore will be applied later :)

Works progressing, but slowly -mainly due to doing them all at once for the bits that can be done en masse.

Base coats, seal, oil wash, clean up and reseal is now complete.

Pointless WIP shots below showing the oil wash before and after clean up with cotton buds:

gallery_32173_11661_81424.jpg

gallery_32173_11661_174070.jpg

While I get around to the detail painting (need light and not to be tired) I decided to start work on another part of my army - I want some Red Butchers :D

I love the forgeworld miniatures but don't want to be dropping

The white is ridiculously simple.

Base coat with Vallejo White Surface Primer (yes I airbrush).

If necessary go over it with a white of your choice to give a solid white.

Varnish the model (I use Klear) and allow to cure for 24 hours.

Hit it with a heavy Paynes Grey oil wash - see pic above and let this dry for 24 hours.

Clean up the wash using cotton buds - see pic above.

Seal with varnish (matt in this case).

The blue is the same, just Vallejo French Blue over the white base coat.

Edited by Harrypotter