What is there to die when there is nothing left in you alive?

-Musings of Inquisitor Kharv on the III Legion-

Excellent stuff as always

Thanks!

Standard bearer looks spot on for a member of the third.

Thank you! I will be adding a brass etching to him and maybe some bits to carry on that notion.

Wow! Incredible modelling and painting skill. Your army just oozes character!

Thanks and that is very kind praise because I really cannot paint to save my life.

---

Well, I had a bit of a brainstorm during the madness of work today for the shields on my bodyguard Noise Marines. I have been wanting to secure the custodes shields to the mk 3 gauntlet and finally came up with this:

gallery_55057_11760_1116912.jpg

I know its not the prettiest but it will get the work done. Obviously work had to be done to attach the shield to the arm but I was happy making a left hand-held bolt pistol too.

Then in a rush I made this fella:

gallery_55057_11760_188478.jpg

I like him but I also think he is a bit dull. I will be keeping him while his partner to the right of the picture may get changed up after I made some more of these fellas.

Well, that is all for now. Going to have to think about how to one up this guy with the next and what bits I could use to do it. Thanks for stopping by!

Love the standard bearer, definitely fits perfectly with the III legion! I agree that a little more dynamism would look great, but even if you chose not to change the arm I think turning the head so that it's not just looking forward would be good too. Looking forward to seeing the next member!

• 2 weeks later...

SCREAM

While I like him as he is, maybe if you turned his head to the right and raised his hammer he would look more dynamic, like if he was going to strike over his shield. Also great work on your SW:A team!

Thanks! I am happy to see I can paint at a decent level but there is still much left to do.

As for shield guy's pose he got an update but now I just thought of giving him a spear. Nothing screams Bodyguard Phalanx like a bunch of guys with shields and spears. Only if I had phoenix spears now..

The noise marines are fantastic! Really cool conversions.
Those Custodes shields are perfect of EC.

Thank you! And I agree about the shields. I now want a breacher squad of them. :smile.:

He looks cool but I echo The Traitors suggestion. I think would add a little more dynamism to him. :thumbsup:

I took this advice and changed him up. Just hoping it came out a-ok.

(...)

However, yesterday I saw something that got the creative juices flowing:

EchoesRevelation.jpg

"Don Edited by hushrong

The revised pose looks great! I think the power sword that comes in the Burning of Prospero box would look decent as a spearhead if you have the staff part. The idea with the jewel in the shield being a camera is a really cool concept, would love to see it painted like that! Looking forward to seeing more!

What is the point of anything if not to enjoy the fruits of ones own labor?

-Lord Commander Azmodaios the All-Adored, Cult of Golden Tears

Liking the pose, an Eye of Horus could look very good on that shield... For the Warmaster!

Thanks! I think it would look cooler than a gem but we will see. Death to the False Emperor!

Loving the breachers! The custodes shields are working really well and look forward to seeing them painted!

Glad you are liking them. I was hoping to get some priming done but we have had ridiculously humid weather these last few days.

The revised pose looks great! I think the power sword that comes in the Burning of Prospero box would look decent as a spearhead if you have the staff part. The idea with the jewel in the shield being a camera is a really cool concept, would love to see it painted like that! Looking forward to seeing more!

I was looking at bits and I remembered the demigryph knights had some sweet lances so I may use those somehow. I was looking at some leftover AoS retributor bits but I had cut them all to heck unfortunately. I now think it would be kind of cool if they look like the Papal Knights from hellsing.

If that fails I may just use the swords from the silent sisters.

The Custodes parts fit a lot better than I could imagine for the III legion, looks really nice, and that Librarian's pose is perfect, gives the feeling he knows a lot of secrets and give the hint of, would you like to know?.

Thanks! That is high praise coming from you. I was very happy with the shield but I need to work on poses better for the other breachers. As for the librarian he needs some paint so he can cause come 8th edition havoc in style.

Well, as I stated it has been quite humid so I have not yet primed anything. I have the minis, I have black spray paint, and I have my secret weapon but the weather won't line up with the cosmos to let me do some painting. I did however get to play a game of Shadow War: Armageddon recently...

---

While slave-hunting through the militarum district on a world now lost to the Imperium the Cult of Golden Tears came under attack. It was not the vengeful hand of the false emperor and his lap dog but the mysterious and ever tasteful eldar. Now aware of this rare treat among their midst the warriors of Slaanesh were exhilarated beyond reason.

http://img07.deviantart.net/d973/i/2015/062/2/f/harlequins_vs_emp_children_by_agnidevi-d8kbox8.jpg

Turn One: The Feast Commences

gallery_55057_11760_285687.jpg

Across the Militarum District the Cult of Golden Tears astartes could sense their opponents dancer-like footfalls on the soil and feel their blood pumping through fragile veins. They form two spearheads and advance, racing to see who tastes first, sweet blood.

Turn Two: Target Engaged

Pict image is lost.

Intercepted Vox communications lay out the Cult of Golden Tears battle plan. Astartes armed with bolters stay back and overwatch while their cult slave-soldiers advance forward to draw out the Eldar. In the center of the battlefield, in a blur of movement, one xenos steps out from cover. Dressed in carnival regalia the enemy is identified as the Harlequin. Bolter shots pin the target forcing one nearby Eldar to remain in cover. On the left flank one Harlequin attempts to retaliate but its shots miss the slave-soldier who wandered too close.

Turn Three: ADVANCE!

gallery_55057_11760_293534.jpg

Seeing the wild clothing patterns have thrown the Astartes into a bloodlust and they begin to advance on the Halrequin positions. One slave-soldier is shot by the enemy leader, a Troupe Master on the right flank, and suffers agony and ecstasy from the debilitating wound. Having revealed itself the Troupe Master falls victim to the predator who used a mortal as a decoy. The Astartes champion's bolt pistol nearly ends the Troupe Master's life.

In the center, the Harlequin identified as a mime is still reeling from the shot earlier. The Eldar have been weakened and the noose begins to tighten around their necks.

Turn Four: The Pincer Tightens

gallery_55057_11760_70510.jpg

The Cult of Golden Tears press forward. They will capitalize on their advantage and crush the Eldar beneath their boot. They perform a pincer movement to surround the Harlequins.

The Harlequin player on the left flank rushes to the aide of its comrades. The fight is not over and the Mon'Keigh of She Who Thirsts will suffer for their arrogance.

Turn Five: The Blades come to Dance

Pict Image is lost.

The Harlequin Player and Mime spring into action. Sensing the danger headed their way and the threat it posed to the Troupe Master they attack the right flank. In the confusion of the attack the Astartes Champion is charged by the Mime. Their blades dance and clash but it is the thin armed Eldar who lays its opponent low. The Champion falls to its knees as emotions such as pain, joy, and the soul crushing disappointment of defeat rush his senses as quickly as blood pours from his slit throat.

He dies with a crooked grin.

To the surprise of the Player, its victim survives the assault. This will cost the Eldar dearly.

Turn Six: The Dance Ends

gallery_55057_11760_293449.jpg

The Cult of Golden Tears press on. The death of their champion overshadowed by the anticipation of supping on Eldar blood spurring them on.

Around the center building a cult slave-soldier opens fire with an autopistol once again pinning the Troupe Master. It appears the Cult of Golden Tears invest some interest in the training of their lesser kin.

The player and cult slave-soldier continue their scuffle. Despite its superior skill the Mon'Keigh will not go gently.

In vengeance, but mostly to demonstrate his skill compared to his former champion, an Astartes closes ranks with the murderous Mime. The injured slave-soldier presses in to support its master to gain future favors and graces. The Mime cannot keep up with the assault. The battle shock of losing one's commander had no effect on the Cult of Golden Tears and now the Harlequin bleed. Blades dance again but this time the Astartes is triumphant.

Despite having claimed such a prize in combat the astartes and its slave move on. Their is still a battle to be fought and somehow these creatures of Slaanesh have maintained some semblance to military discipline. They consolidate their position and trap the lone Player.

gallery_55057_11760_883385.jpg

Turn Seven: Endgame

gallery_55057_11760_249396.jpg

It does not take long. Thousands upon thousands of years of training, discipline, and service are cut short by barely a seconds kiss from one blade. It had tried to fight, to rage against the dying of the light, but it was not enough. Another Eldar soul had been claimed for She Who Thirsts. Casting the dead Player aside, the astartes warriors closes for the injured Troupe Master.

There is no fate worse than to be taken alive by the Cult of Golden Tears and their depraved cousins who follow Slaanesh.

And nothing gives them greater joy to see the fear at that realization in their victims eyes.

---

Well, that is all for now. Thanks for stopping by!

• 3 weeks later...

Third Legion! Show them the colors of the Children of the Emperor!

Let them know who brings death to His foes!

-Unknown. Early Battle Cry of the III Legio

Really cool battle report and am excited to see your painting once the weather permits!

Thanks! It was a great battle and it almost seemed to turn against me when I finally got into close combat with those pesky, stab-happy clowns. I also have something paint related finally too :smile.:

Awesome battle report! I love the story elements you've added, it was a really enjoyable read. Hope the weather gets better for you to prime, looking forward to seeing whats next!

Thank you and I am glad you enjoyed it. And fortunately the weather, though much hotter, has become more agreeable for painting!

---

So 8th has dropped and this army is sitting in limbo. I have plans to continue the Long War with the Death Guard for now.

This doesn't mean I have given up on my beloved Cult of Golden Tears. I will still build the list I made for 7th but I think my EC will be sitting out until we get a new Traitor Legions-esque index. This is the result of some griping and moaning from myself but this will be the course of action.

There is still plenty left to build and obviously paint. Speaking of which, two weeks ago I finally got some paint on some of the minis.

gallery_55057_11760_748199.jpg

I actually painted 2 rhinos, 2 predators, 11 noise marines with sonic blasters, 6 champions, and a standard bearer from this army. This is just a sampling. Having been inspired by kizzdougs Alpha Legion with their metallic paint I decided I wanted the same for my Emperor's Children. After applying black primer I followed up with Tamiya PS-18. *I cannot wait to paint those tank treads gooooold.

gallery_55057_11760_68558.jpg

They look a little rough right now but that is from my poor camermanship (*definitely not a word, right?). However, when time permits I think some more color will have these marines looking as glorious as ever. I think my 7th edition army list will be granted this sweet paint color as a nod to the hard times we have been through from the start of 6th edition. We survived on one iffy codex (with one major, helpful faq for Blastmasters), Imperial Amrour 13, and Traitor Legions that somehow kept my boys fighting against the best of them. This will be their mark of honor, plus, I believe that this is how I would want my HH EC to look.

Whenever GW drops some Slaaneshi love a'la Thousand Sons and now Death Guard my Cult of Golden Tears will get a paint job similar to the DV marines I posted earlier. Perhaps that will show that all the glory, honor, and pride has faded from the time of the Heresy, through the Legion Wars, and into the Long War.

Anyways, enough rambling on. Take care and DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!

• 2 months later...

Thank you Pearson73 and Vairocanum, I was having a metallic-paint high when working on my Alpha Legion and thought to try it on my boy band! I really had a hard time figuring out how to go from there. My AL were easy because someone else figured it out and I just copied but with these guys its unknown territory. However, I think I've got it sorted out.

So, a backstory on what's been going on in my neck of the woods. When 8th dropped my heart sank! The Emperor's Children were my main army and thanks to Traitor Legions they got a lovely boost. I played Rapture Battalion with 6 squads of noise marines. So I had split fire(which doesnt matter now), +1 strength to my sonic weapons making my guns ever more fearsome especially my pie plate dropping blastmasters, my guys had feel no pain on top of being fearless, and I had combat drugs which led to some wicked things.

With the new edition all of that was gone, I got really bummed out, and my boys haven't been up to much. However, I dusted them off for a game and found the glory in them again. The two things that made them shine was the stratagem Endless Cacophony and their Music of the Apocalypse rule I completely overlooked. So now I am back and will be building up a new army so onto the pictures!

This is sad but I am so used to taking pics of grey plastic marines that taking a picture of something with more paint on it is no longer my forte. So bear with me on this guy:

gallery_55057_11760_331054.jpg

Obviously he is still a PIP but I am liking the look and feel much better about going metallic. I was worried that a lot of detail would be lost to a dark, metallic paint job but that does not seem to be a concern anymore.

With this new edition I am going to need a lot more blastmasters.

gallery_55057_11760_364424.jpg

So the head isn't permanent but just held on with a light dab of glue. My original 7th edition army was only going to need three of these guys but in the new 8th edition army redux I will need six. So I am going to need to start sourcing some more bits.

My only concern, which I have had since I got my hands on the FW cacophony, is that this guy and even my sonic blasters will all have the same pose. Going to try and think of ways to change it up but at this moment so long as I get stuff built and painted I will be a happy panda.

Well, off to start cataloging what bits I have and what I will need. Then start ordering and building. I am going to need 40 noise marines in the near future for some wargaming! Thanks for stopping by!

That Purple is striking. And I like the over all pose. 6 Sonic blasters yikes .:biggrin.:

Yeah, the metallic purple was interesting but I only washed it in Druchii Violet and it has helped a lot.

And yeah, more homemade sonic weaponry, that's going to be a labor of love. Fortunately they are worth their weight in gold on the table.

That gold's looking nice, got a strong contrast going with the purple.

Thanks! I actually wanted to give that guy black trim but he isn't a proper officer. Yet. The gold is super bright in this pic but I am happy to use that Retributor Gold instead of doing Runefang with washes of Agrax and Seraphim Sepia.

Brilliant looking purple! Nice to see some paint on the champion, and the blastmaster looks awesome as with all your others. Hope to see you paint some of the other champions as well!

Thanks! I was very happy to finally put some paint on them after a few months. They needed it. I just cannot wait till I get to my Rhinos and Predators so I can print their tank treads GOLD! Such a gaudy modification that can only be complimented with fuzzy dice!