• 2 weeks later...

And now, the end is near. And so I face the final curtain...

gallery_55057_11760_30666.jpeg

Alrighty, so one of my goals has come to an end: finish building my sonic noise marines. For the last batch I wanted to cut up plastic mk4 arms and rearrange them to hold the FW cacophony sculpts for variation. What's weird is I think my test mini(far left) came out better than the marines after him but I will live with it. So got them built, added some etched brass, and added some studs. I also went back and redid my earlier noise marine that was holding his weapon one handed as I want all my noise marines in the 'ready to fire' pose. I also do not know how two squads of 10 noise marines will work on the table but I am happy I will not have to proxy any of them. This will be a first in all the years I have had this army. A nice, personal milestone for myself.

gallery_55057_11760_21226.jpeg

Also redid my second blastmaster slightly. Swapped out the head for a trimmed down night lord helmet that I've had longer than this army. The elongated helmet sculpt just seemed right for a noise marine. Then I finally made a second big backpack that I want to make my blastmaster marines stand out a bit more. Then made some changes to the blastmaster itself, removing the guitar string cord I didn't like then rearranging bits to spruce it up a bit.

Weather in central Texas is turning out nicer than what had been predicted. So the rain and the humidity that came with it are gone and I think I will be able to spray paint these boys up this week. So aside from building two stabby noise marines as part of my lords entourage, and any miscellaneous musings I find, my following updates should be paint, paint, and paint!

---

Nice to see an army picture. That's a lovely force you've got! The Noise Marines look great too. :happy.: :happy.:

Thanks Badger! It was nice to see it laid out and I am hoping they can cause some havoc when the time comes. And thanks again about the NM. Hopefully a paint job will make them more presentable (and maybe hid any sloppy craftsmenship on my part haha).

As always, thanks for stopping by!

Yesterday was B-E-A-UTIFUL! Barely 80 degrees Fahrenheit and humidty was only at 39%. Perfect day to go to the garage and prime! So now I am going to spend the week painting (maybe with a little drinking on the back porch). Hopefully soon I will have a fully painted squad to show off! :smile.:

Noise marines are looking solid, the blastmaster chap's helmet is a cracking choice and the use of Raptor parts works well to modify the backpack.

As always, thanks Pearson! I definitely like it better than the bare head I had earlier. Something about the old night lord's helm just worked well with the bat wings off. I am also definitely happy I came across the B&C member who used the raptor bits for a noisier back pack. I just love the idea that it is now a giant boombox/amp so things can get loud now!:teehee:

Mighty fine sonic marines! The backpacks are a nice touch, how do they look from the back? And yeah, that head works great for NM, is it from the old NL upgrade kit, or FW?

Thanks Elduderion! Below is the pic of the back. I guess in my hiatus and getting older my eyesight is bad. Now that I've primed, sprayed, and washed the marines I see I was a bit sloppier with my recent blastmaster back pack. Or at least that's the excuse I am using :wink: They're pretty plain and I planned on doing more. But the sheer size of them with maybe one more bit added and a lot of cabling would have been too much (so I may save that for a truescale conversion in the future :smile.:) Now I am wondering how I should paint them. Right now I am thinking the bulk of it should be black.

And yes, that is the old NL upgrade kit from GW. The only nice thing was the finecast was easier to cut through than the metal ones.

gallery_55057_11760_166300.jpeg

Hope you all are staying safe and healthy! Even the DG players. Death to the False Emperor!

Sing for the moment and sing for the Tear!

gallery_55057_11760_124576.jpeg

Ladies and gentlemen, happy to say I have my next five noise marines painted to tabletop quality. And I am grinning ear to ear.

This means I finally have a full squad of Noise Marines ready to rock!

gallery_55057_11760_146533.jpeg

I tried a few things different. Like adding black trim to the shoulder guards for variety. Changed up how I was painting parts on the cacophony/sonic blasters with different metallics that I have at hand. Pretty happy that it still looks good altogether. Still need to practice on lenses. On mkIV armor I can paint the right lense real nice...everything else is hit and miss. I also need to get better at painting banners. Especially since i have five more to go.

gallery_55057_11760_388874.jpeg

Just a picture of happy little noise marines clumped together. Hopefully soon they will be going to work on the tabletop. In the meantime working on a side project my friend let me take on for his army and going to start painting this squads rhino. It has been some time since I painted a tank. Very excited for another challenger.

---

Looking great. Backpacks would look good with some black to break up the massive shape a little.

Thanks Badger! I painted the 'interior' of it black, basically the front part just behind his shoulders and the lower portion of the back. It definitely helps and keeps the blastmaster from looking like a walking block of purple.

Elduderion! New eldar name haha.

Those backpacks look like they pack some serious bass, nice work:) And I forgot to mention your custom beastmaster, that's pretty sweet! Where is the front piece from?

Back in the day they really did pack a punch Elduderino! A group of infantry crammed together? He is a pie plate that ignores cover. Have some vehicles? If you weren't a land raider you better worry, vehicle damage charts are never your friend! I do miss the damage they could reap.

As for the blastmaster itself (although beastmaster was a sweet movie haha) I made them using the gravcannon that come with loyalist devastators. The front bit was an intake bit from a Dark Angel upgrade sprute (I think) that was supposed to be used on a land speeder. The rest was greenstuff and random bits I had lying around.

Nice. And painting starred too. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mechanist! I am trying to and the encouragement helps! This will be the year I have a painted army again haha!

Nice work fella, banners are a real skill, one i have never mastered, good luck with that and on lenses, they are not that bad once you have found the way that works for you, finding it is the issue and when you do, write it down! I have forgotten and re-learnt more times than i care to admit!

As they say you got to lose to know how to win!

Hush, squad looks brilliant mate. Painting is solid and, like you said, the little variations among the marines doesn't brake up that coherent look. Also really love the Blast Master conversion, really solid and chunky. Using the Raptor vents on the backpack was a great idea too

Fantastic work bringing them all to completion! Nothing like a fully finished squad on the tabletop.
I really like what you did with the Blastmaster, the backpack conversion is smart. I also like the commander and his little rod, like some grand symphony conductor.

• 2 weeks later...

Assemble my Blades!

-Xerxes Radec, Lord of the Numeritorii of the Cult of Golden Tears

gallery_55057_11760_67241.jpeg

The other day I was finally able to assemble my last two 'Palatine Blades' for this army. They're really just chainsword armed Noise Marines on paper for the time being but whatever haha. Finally happy to see things I've had a concept in the back of my head take minature form!

gallery_55057_11760_129123.jpeg

In my head these EC (and their unit) are all former Palatine Blades that now act as an honor/bodyguard for my Lord and the vanguard of close combat assaults in my Warband. I hope we get an EC codex with a sweet close combat choppy unit I can use these guys as. In the near future I may try to use them as proxies for Possessed since those guys can dish out some hurt.

As I stated earlier these were the last two minis I had to build in this army. I do want to build more of these dudes but I am using my excess champions to fill out the rest of their ranks currently as I already have them built, primed, and base coated. So now there is nothing left to do now but paint. However, I do have some tinkering I want to do. Namely add decor to the Sicaran and the Land Raider, I want to take apart and rebuild/repose the plastic contemptor, and I want to change out that standard bearer in the back for something with more pizzazz since he is rolling with some fancy boys!

Other than that it's back to trying to paint a Rhino. I've run into a speed bump by I think I may have found a way around it. Fingers crossed I'll have something worth showing on that front soon. And below are just more pics at different angles of my latest two noise marines.

gallery_55057_11760_113979.jpeg

gallery_55057_11760_132866.jpeggallery_55057_11760_178027.jpeggallery_55057_11760_277552.jpeg

gallery_55057_11760_143998.jpeg

gallery_55057_11760_93563.jpeg

gallery_55057_11760_832306.jpeggallery_55057_11760_93516.jpeg

---

Nice work fella, banners are a real skill, one i have never mastered, good luck with that and on lenses, they are not that bad once you have found the way that works for you, finding it is the issue and when you do, write it down! I have forgotten and re-learnt more times than i care to admit!

As they say you got to lose to know how to win!

Thank you NightHunters and no joke. I was very ready to cut off that banner and move along. And I have been happy with the lenses but I need to keep my brushes tip finely point and steady my hands. But yeah, all of these have been good practice and fortunately they don't look that bad on a mini.

Those guys look fantastic- well done

Thank you Galloway! Hopefully I can keep it up with the next batch of marines.

Hush, squad looks brilliant mate. Painting is solid and, like you said, the little variations among the marines doesn't brake up that coherent look. Also really love the Blast Master conversion, really solid and chunky. Using the Raptor vents on the backpack was a great idea too

Thank you PHM! Definitely pleased they mesh together well and I am adding more black into the mix with the next batch. I want to throw some love on the old school 40k EC paint scheme with more black. I am happy that my army looks like it fits well within HH time frame and I want some subtle nods to what they'll become. And I can't take credit for the backpack. I copy and pasted that from a previous user and I am very happy I did haha :smile.:

Fantastic work bringing them all to completion! Nothing like a fully finished squad on the tabletop.
I really like what you did with the Blastmaster, the backpack conversion is smart. I also like the commander and his little rod, like some grand symphony conductor.

Thanks Markus You are not lying, it feels good and rewarding to finally have a painted squad. Hopefully soon it will be a whole army. And as I mentioned earlier I can't take credit for the blastmaster backpack. Just another hobbyist's work I saw and copied. I need to scour the web and see if they ever continued their work. And yes, that little bit from Skorr was destined to fit in this army somewhere as it is perfect.

The squad looks cracking now that they're all done, great work!

Thank you Pearson! Although I am worried you've gone the way of the X legion. The ol' Iron Tenth and the EC aren't getting along for some reason.:whistling:

Now these pair are phenomenal, the poses and choice of parts are on point. Haha, well, I can't imagine why... Can only be the Children's lack of discipline, I suppose, the cold warriors of the Iron Tenth always stay focussed, never lose their heads. Oh...

@Jaxom: Thanks and that is indeed from a wraithblade. I just tried my best to fit it onto one of the pick-axe weapon arms from the ravenwing bikers. I liked using curved blades on my older EC and since this guy is a Palatine Blade he took a liking to acquiring and mastering some Eldar weapons. I need to reread the fluff in the big HH books but I think that is something they did. Find the weapons of their enemies and master them, even if it wasn't human, to demonstrate superiority.

@Galloway: Thanks and I am feeling the same way! I want to mimic the HH art and keep their purple armor but have more sections of it painted silver to represent the platinum they adorned themselves with. The one thing I am wondering how to paint is the shield. I want it to be gold but the wings of the eagle I am debating between white or black to break it up. I am really feeling black at the moment.

@Pearson: Thank you my friend! I am a bit pleased the old routine of collecting bits, sit on them forever, and then build something still works for me haha. And yes...that old chestnut *looks around anxiously*. I do wish we were both on the same side of the pond, I'd love to get a game in with your Iron Hands and fortunately my EC still fit HH aesthetics.

Edited by hushrong

Noise marines from just after turning to the ‘dark side’, huge sub woofer backpacks, custom sonic noise blasters that are so detailed almost indistinguishable from the true FW BITS; and that shade of purple!??! So much awesomeness; too much ROCK for one hand!!! Edited by Yosef Hausakluif

@Yosef: Thanks for the high praise on the EC! I'd be a liar to say that I wasn't beaming with pride seeing them come together. When I first started this army I really planned on it being able to swap between 30k and 40k. So I wanted to capture crusade era aesthetics with their new, blessed changes creeping in. In the future I do want to mix in some of the newer CSM plastic to start showing off the change more. Maybe even get wilder with the paint schemes. Start to show when they went from a unified, disciplined force into something more erratic. At the moment I wanted to finish this army using what I had at hand but who knows what the future holds. Maybe a codex...maaaaybe some new plastic :smile.:

@Pearson: Maybe one day we can get that game in! And no joke about finding old bits. I packed up all my 40k stuff last year as I completely lost interest in 40k until recently. So when I started this project back up and dug out all my stuff I kept finding bits I squirrelled away. Fortunately, like you, its call coming together haha.

I'm liking the sound of further expansions to the force, I'm sure the Emperor's Children have got some new stuff coming somewhere down the line. And I'd like that someday! I've had something similar, having had a couple of breaks from the hobby in recent times.

@Pearson: Yeah, once the current EC I am working on are painted I think I will be showing the Black Legion some love for awhile. That'll give me time to daydream, plan out, and see if a new release could be coming *fingers crossed!* to boost my little Cult of Golden Tears warband. I also wouldn't mind seeing you put any new EC goodies to work for the Blades of Perfection :wink: The time will come to get back on the party boat haha! 

@ElDuderino: Thank you broski! A little tick-box in my head has been checked and is happy I got that feel across. Get to see them in their self-proclaimed glory & perfection before they start going down a really whacky rabbit hole after Alice (aka, sex, drugs, and rock & roll). And when the time comes I hope I can show off their corruption properly :smile.: