Progress! Namely, the Chapter sybmbol:

gallery_45765_12126_7022.png

Plenty of small mistakes but I'm rather happy with it! :) There's a fluff reason why the neck part isn't black but I'll explain that once the model is 100% ready.

Niiiccce!!!!!! Wait what about your vow?

Very beautiful! smile.png

Nice work, dude! The eye lens looks amazing thumbsup.gif

Looks great, Dos!

Thanks, all! And I'm working on my vow, have no fear. ;)

Is it just me Dos or have you come to the same conclusion I have, that the Mk IV helmet looks awesome compared to the later ones?

Anyway, Astral Claw looks cracking.  Then again I wouldn't expect any less from you.  Its a pity that one of the more effective and striking colour schemes belongs to a Chapter of filthy traitors that no longer exist.

I think I've got a tear in my eye...

gallery_45765_12126_258054.png

Just need to fiddle around with a couple of things, add some final touches, and he'll be my first ever fully painted AND based model Space Marine... I'm so proud. cry.giflaugh.png

Is it just me Dos or have you come to the same conclusion I have, that the Mk IV helmet looks awesome compared to the later ones?

Anyway, Astral Claw looks cracking. Then again I wouldn't expect any less from you. Its a pity that one of the more effective and striking colour schemes belongs to a Chapter of filthy traitors that no longer exist.

Thanks, SP! Couldn't agree more: the Mk IV helm is such a great design.

As ever, clean painting and really inspiring work.

However.

Is it me, or have I never seen a completed (or near-completed, I know what we hobbyists are like) army of yours...? I would love to see a whole force done to the standard of the above minis.

Hahaha, right where it hurts. tongue.png So far, in my ~10 years of being in this hobby, I have consistently failed to complete more than a single squad of models. That means, in that time, no army! But I'm trying to work towards completing 500 points and I think I've finally found something I'm 100% happy with. smile.png

I promise he will be badgered into painting one soon as part of a redux of the Lauss Rift....

Please dont hate me Dos...

I'm so going to hunt you down now...

Thanks all!

I got three hours of painting time this afternoon. True to my nature, I painted something that I wasn't supposed to paint and have thus 'started' a new 'project'... teehee.gif

gallery_45765_12126_143123.png

Still, not bad for a relatively short painting session. smile.png

Disclaimer: funky highlights are caused by lighting, not work!

WHOA! From what chapter is he from ?

Last "spam-y" update of the day: finished model!

gallery_45765_12126_342681.png

Hidden Content

gallery_45765_12126_152120.png

gallery_45765_12126_122634.png

gallery_45765_12126_160975.png

gallery_45765_12126_198448.png

gallery_45765_12126_172235.png

WHOA! From what chapter is he from ?

He's from the Astral Claws Chapter. :)

Really JEALOUS !!!!! of your feehand skills.

Thank you! I'm glad the effort was worth it!

Lovely work and something to be proud of for sure.

Thanks. :blush:

By the Emperor's nose hairs, it's actually done! ;) Great work, Dos, as always when you paint something it comes out great. I like the fact that you haven't overdone the weathering and it's simply some dust on his legs, looks very good. Is it weathering powder or a light drybrush?

I did a bit of painting today, though I tried something new this time: scenery!

gallery_45765_12126_505757.png

This was all very experimental for me: drybrushing, washes made up of water and pigments, wiping stuff away with fingers and paper, pure pigments applied with a brush, you name it! All in all, really happy with the result! :)

Of course, I couldn't resist taking a picture with the Astral Claw, to see how well the two go together:

gallery_45765_12126_342267.png

Not bad, if I may say so myself. :D

Last but not least, the next Astral Claw is built and ready for his undercoat!

gallery_45765_12126_314937.png

Awesome job, keep up the great work!

Thank you!

By the Emperor's nose hairs, it's actually done! msn-wink.gif Great work, Dos, as always when you paint something it comes out great. I like the fact that you haven't overdone the weathering and it's simply some dust on his legs, looks very good. Is it weathering powder or a light drybrush?

Haha, I can't believe it either. :P And thank you, it means a lot! I used the 'Aged Rust' weathering powder from Forge World and applied it using a brush.

Looking really nice! thumbsup.gif

Thanks!

Thanks all!

I got three hours of painting time this afternoon. True to my nature, I painted something that I wasn't supposed to paint and have thus 'started' a new 'project'... teehee.gif

gallery_45765_12126_143123.png

Still, not bad for a relatively short painting session. smile.png

Disclaimer: funky highlights are caused by lighting, not work!

Dude the mark 4 on mark 7 is mind blowingly cool. I'll have to log that for a certain project that involves ash wastes and green skins.

The Astral Claw is looking excellent -- and that is no mean feat on a model that is predominantly silver msn-wink.gif I especially like the blue shoulder pad with the chapter symbol and the way you have managed to connect the model and based with a bit of clever weathering on the leg armour. Very nice! smile.png

I sat down to paint today and decided that advancing with my ETL vow was probably a good idea. A few hours later, the six barricades that will go with my soon-to-be-painted Aegis Defence Line are ready for action!

flzuV7.png

Hidden Content

kdNCvo.png

Painting on the basecoats is a real chore but then things get more interesting when you get to the drybrushing stages, adding pigments, etc. The main problem I had with these was the sheer amount of detail that has to be painted. Unlike the chapel wall piece that I painted last week, these have so many different materials and textures that it takes quite a bit of effort to paint it all.

Anyway, it's done and I can move onto other things. smile.png

Very nice scenery, Dos, very subtle. Too much scenery nowadays overshadows the miniatures, but the sepia coloration works perfectly as a backdrop.

Thanks Psycho! smile.png

The Astral Claw is looking excellent -- and that is no mean feat on a model that is predominantly silver msn-wink.gif I especially like the blue shoulder pad with the chapter symbol and the way you have managed to connect the model and based with a bit of clever weathering on the leg armour. Very nice! smile.png

Thank you, KS! Your kind words are much appreciated. happy.png

Dude the mark 4 on mark 7 is mind blowingly cool. I'll have to log that for a certain project that involves ash wastes and green skins.

I got lucky. tongue.png

Man, I'm gonna say it again. Get a force finished! When it's completed, your work is outstanding. The weathering on the Astral Claw is sublime, not too much but still nice and gritty, and the base is just right. And the terrain matches perfectly. I especially like the ruin.

Very keen to see more mate.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally got some time to work on finishing my ETL vow. On the table at the moment is a fully Aegis Defence Line:

gallery_45765_12075_384154.png

I'm going to be a bit crazy and aim for getting them 100% done by tonight. thumbsup.gif

I really do love the gritty and stained look you're giving to your terrain, Dos, it looks awesome. The Astral Claws do look pretty nice, too. thumbsup.gif

Thank you, Psycho! I must admit that I'm very happy with the terrain, too, especially since it's all very new and experimental for me!

Man, I'm gonna say it again. Get a force finished! When it's completed, your work is outstanding. The weathering on the Astral Claw is sublime, not too much but still nice and gritty, and the base is just right. And the terrain matches perfectly. I especially like the ruin.

Very keen to see more mate.

Thanks, Arkhan! Much appreciated! And I'm getting myself organised so that I can have a small force painted by the end of the Summer/beginning of Autumn, so you should see some more 'Claws soon! thumbsup.gif

Distractions such as needing to find a place to live for the next year and other less important stuff mean that I must halt my work now. The sections have all been undercoated and I've managed to fully finish a single small section:

gallery_45765_12075_16495.png

But hey, a little progress is better than no progress. :) It looks like it might take me all week to get all of the sections painted but I still have time so I'm not too worried.

Anyway, thanks for looking! :tu:

Distractions such as needing to find a place to live for the next year 

You could always move down here.  I am sure our winters aren't too dismiliar.  Summer might be a bit hot though...

Looking good so far Dos.  Inspiring me to get some paint on my Aegis Defence Line.  Maybe after the Chapter Master.  Only thing I would suggest is maybe paint some of the round bits on the back as lights/buttons to break up the monotone nature of them.  Other then that full kudos.

• 5 weeks later...

Looking for some honest feedback here.

Every time I paint a Space Marine that isn't an Imperial Fist, I get this feeling of guilt that I just can't shake off. Drives me crackers. In the past I've tried to paint Imperial Fists with a black undercoat and that took ages. Not good for an army. So I've gone back to seeing if I could be happy with a white undercoat.

Please note this is a sort of "sketch" where I was trying out various things, both new and old (for me) and did everything quickly. I've also only finished the yellow armour; the rest is basecoated in black... and that's it.

gallery_45765_7614_562258.png

Hidden Content

gallery_45765_7614_398259.png

gallery_45765_7614_160805.png

gallery_45765_7614_687065.png

In addition to a white undercoat, I went straight to a Yriel Yellow basecoat, a custom wash, and plenty of drybrushing instead of my usual layering. The only edge highlighting was done with some Dorn Yellow on various edges.

I think I went a bit crazy with the weathering but it looks good (in my opinion) and shows that combining different techniques (toothbrush splatter/spray, sponge-dabbing, and paintbrush scratches) does work well.

Anyway, all feedback appreciated. :)

Archived