I couldn't let that one slip. :D

Steel Legion Drab -> Argax Earthshade all over -> highlight with 70:30 mix of SLD and Screaming Skull (kizz uses a 50:50 mix but I find it a tad too bright).

I coldn't let that one slip. biggrin.png

Fixed. msn-wink.gif

Sounds simple enough. A very smooth result in the end. I'm amazed how much easier yellow has gotten since I last tried it myself. Just tinkering about, I used the new Corax White (which was remarkably better than the old white) with a coat (just one! amazing!) of Yriel and some Lamenter. Amazingly quick.

Still, I'd like to see you trudge through the nightmare of painting a Fire Hawk all the same. Oranges, yellows, flames...delicious msn-wink.gif

Nice try. msn-wink.gif

And yes, yellow is much easier to paint. It's almost as if GW had a plan... ph34r.png

Well, right now, the Howling Griffons are creeping to the top and will definitely not be easy to paint... Though I do find the prospect of painting a Howling Griffon to be more exciting than painting a Mantis Warrior, which holds first place at the moment, whereas HG's are one vote behind.

EDIT: Yes! Thank you, ShVagYeR! :D More Howling Griffon votes! MOAR I SAY! :devil:

Marines Errant happy.png I'd have started my GW gaming career with them way back when, were it not for that fiddly Chapter Symbol laugh.png

The result of vote #2:

gallery_45765_11678_30118.png

Poor Fire Angels; no love for them. :(

However, now the question is do I paint my Howling Griffon like this...

gallery_45765_11678_45.jpg

Or like this?

gallery_45765_11678_3945.jpg

:P

Anyway, thank you all for your votes! I think the total number of people who voted was the same as the first time round which is great. :)

One of each.

Nice try. msn-wink.gif

I'll go with the classic scheme as that's probably what most people had in mind when voting. I'll start layering the basecoats on after breakfast!

maybe demonstrate one pad being quartered as well as the main quartered scheme??

Quartered. Thats why I voted for it...

Considering how well you do yellow, the choice should be simple - the full quartered scheme. smile.png

And that's exactly what you're getting. ;)

gallery_45765_11678_139040.png

On the one hand, the fact that the legs, torso and head are completely misaligned is making this job quite a bit more harder than expected. On the other hand... heck yeah! This is the kind of challenge I love! :D

1. Between black and white spray paints, it's the most forgiving (there's less chance of messing up due to sub-optimal weather);

I find it a lot easier to put four layers of yellow down over black than I do blacking out small details when I use a white undercoat;

More of a challenge.

Speaking of number 3, I never understand why people paint models that close to fully assembled.  At a minimum I'd have the shoulders detached to make painting heraldry simpler (especially something as tedious as a griffin rampant).  I'd typically paint the head separately as well, and often one or both arms :P

I'm an "every nook and cranny" sort of painter, but now and then I see people who somehow manage to do just that without going to the same lengths.  Maddening!

All this layering malarkey is over. I can now start with the highlights (finally).

gallery_45765_11678_279481.png

Speaking of number 3, I never understand why people paint models that close to fully assembled. At a minimum I'd have the shoulders detached to make painting heraldry simpler (especially something as tedious as a griffin rampant). I'd typically paint the head separately as well, and often one or both arms tongue.png

I'm an "every nook and cranny" sort of painter, but now and then I see people who somehow manage to do just that without going to the same lengths. Maddening!

I'll be quite honest: I don't understand people who don't assemble their models as much as possible to save time, effort and paint. No one is going to look into the nooks and crannies of your model, especially not from two feet away on the gaming table. If you prefer to paint everything, then that's your prerogative and I respect that. I've just learned both from experience and others (Prot, mostly) that there's just very little point in doing it.

Concerning making my life easier for painting freehand, I much prefer doing it with the shoulder pad attached. Since there's more weight behind the shoulder pad, there's no chance that it shifts or anything. I manage just fine. ;)

Archived