New Marine Army for 2016

Bryn NZ

Hi Guys,

I'm making my own Chapter of Marines for an Army Building Challenge, we have a pretty easy target of 150 points a month.

I just finished my first unit, 5 Devastators with Lascannons.

5 Man Devastator Squad

A close up of their Sargent

Devastator Squad Sargent

I'm not sure what to call the Chapter yet, they use a skull with an iron halo motif as their Chapter Symbol, it also looks a bit like a skull with a sunburst.

I'm thinking of something to do with red/gold or the sun followed the word Angels or Knight or Wardens. I'll work it out eventually!

I also have to decide which Chapter tactics to use as well, so lots of choices to make.

Thanks for looking.

Blazing Sons? Solar Wardens? Marines Solar? Incandescent Sons? Marines Incandescent?

Anyway, I'm liking your choice of Chapter symbol and that shoulder pad is pretty easy to come by which is definitely a bonus. Also, 150 points is a nice, easy goal to move towards each month.

If you need more help with the fluff side of things, I'd suggest you take a walk down to the halls of the Liber Astartes. Our resident DIY Chapter experts should be able to help you along with crafting the history and character of your Chapter. :)

Thanks Dosjetka, there's some good names there :-) Solar Wardens is winning at the moment.

I'll go take a look at the Liber Astartes when I have some time.

You'd think that Shoulder Pad would be easy to find it's from the Sternguard kit, but I've pretty much cleared out the bits stores that had more than 2 in stock and I still need more!

Solar Wardens definitely conveys a strong image and is among my favourites, too.

I'll have a look in my bits box and see if I can find any. I'm pretty sure that I have a few kicking around and would be glad to send them south. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the interplay between Suns and Sons (Blazing Sons suggested above is a good example, as is the established Thousand Sons). That said, Solar Wardens does sound cool. Might need a bit of thought about why the chapter would be named that because to me, "Solar" refers specifically to Terra's Sun and it seems like the Sol System would be lacking any unused space to host a relatively low-profile Astartes chapter. Maybe a fleet based Chapter that patrols the Segmentum Solar?

I like the interplay between Suns and Sons (Blazing Sons suggested above is a good example, as is the established Thousand Sons). That said, Solar Wardens does sound cool. Might need a bit of thought about why the chapter would be named that because to me, "Solar" refers specifically to Terra's Sun and it seems like the Sol System would be lacking any unused space to host a relatively low-profile Astartes chapter. Maybe a fleet based Chapter that patrols the Segmentum Solar?

Hmmm, I hadn't really considered the Sons/Suns things. I quite like that too.

If I stick with Solar Wardens, a fleet chapter that patrols the Segmentum Solar sounds perfect!

Scouts

Just finished assembling a Squad of Space Marine Scouts using parts from the Scout Sprues, Land Speeder Storm riders and replaced the (IMHO) ugly heads with normal heads from the new Tactical, Assault and Devastator Squads.

Now to get some paint on them!

Just finished assembling a Squad of Space Marine Scouts using parts from the Scout Sprues, Land Speeder Storm riders and replaced the (IMHO) ugly heads with normal heads from the new Tactical, Assault and Devastator Squads.

Now to get some paint on them!

You read my mind! I was just considering how I might get some nice extra Scouts with different poses by using the LSS kit yesterday; this confirms they'll look decent. Thanks!

The Scouts are looking good!

By the by, I have managed to find three of the shoulder pads you use for your Chapter symbol in my bits box. Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to send then your way. :)

Beautiful!!! Where can I find those shoulder pads? Might just include one of your gentlemen in my Deathwatch team msn-wink.gif

Would be fantastic to have my chapter in someone else's Deathwatch!

The Shoulder Pad comes from the Plastic Sternguard Box.

Look forward to seeing a picture sometime.

The Scouts are looking good!

By the by, I have managed to find three of the shoulder pads you use for your Chapter symbol in my bits box. Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to send then your way. smile.png

Thank you, I'll drop you a message. Cheers!

Scout Squad

Just finished painting up the Scout Squad, pretty pleased with them. It was tough trying to decide where to put what colours, and I'd like to have had more gold on them, but wasn't really sure where.

I think I'll make up some background fluff with regards to Scouts not having so much gold adornments, but I'll need to have a think about that first.

Also, I'm hoping that they'll release some more new heads that are slightly smaller like the ones in the Tactical/Assault/Devastator boxes, as I'm not a fan of the two with the hair. However as there's only five new sized heads currently, the choice for a Scout Squad is pretty limited.

Those scouts are looking ace! If you want some helmeted heads the Tempestus stormtroopers fits quite nicely!

Right now i'm greenstuffing the Deathwatch symbols, will post once i get the first one painted :)

Solar Wardens sounds good and suits the scheme and logo well so I think you have a winner there.

As for chapter tactics, unless you have already chosen a particular style of play, it's probably best to use UM tactics, as they work well with armies that include a range of units, and actually require a bit of thought when using them.

Plus in terms of fluff around 2/3rds of Marines are of UM geneseed, and I would also expect most chapters are also fairly codex adherent, so it's fairly likely most chapters would have a similar fighting style to UMs.

Blazing Sons sounded great to me at first, but I can't escape the boy-band connotations... Blazing Skulls perhaps?

Crimson Wardens or Celestial Wardens might nudge them away from the Sol system a little.

Gilded Skulls, Golden Halo, The Knights Blessed - all play more to their chapter symbol and helmet colour. I feel like there's something perfect just tantalisingly out of reach... :P

Archived