[HH1.0] Blood Angels Tactica - Assault Cannons For Days

The Unseen

He's still vulnerable in the turn he hops out and such.

But that's what moving the land raider in the shooting phase at top speed is for I guess.

Could even expend it to giving him a little destroyer posse and putting him in a scouting Proteus.

Adding Destroyers would be great, at least when their rules get better :P

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here actually gotten Day of Sorrows to work or is it garbage with whatever you try to make it do?

Im curious as im thinking about making a defensive force of sorts.

It's just garbage, not enough powerful rules to make it worth it. I suppose the idea is to have either:

• Enemy come to you and have them break upon your wall in combat while you grind them down with a combo of Stubborn, -1 to thier Ld when they lose combat and an eventual 5+ FNP
  • Kamikaze forward and try and sweep as much as possible with the -1Ld modifier, while your dreg squads gain FNP for their troubles. Backfield cmapers meanwhile get stubborn.

You can try it and it might be surprising, but it feels like if you are going defensive you'd be better off just paying for Apothecarys for FNP rather than it not kicking in until you have between 2/ 4/ 9 dudes left (based on squad sizes of 5/10/ 20).

Many of the basic rites or Day of Revelation just offer so much more.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys I want to start an Blood Angels force so,

I have 2 questions and hope you can help me .

Actually I have:

30 MK3 Marines ( from Prospero Box)

30 MK4 Marines ( Calth Box )

5 Tartaros Terminators

5 Cataphractii Terminators

2 Apothecarie ( glued with normal Backpack)

1 Leviathan

1 Deredreo with Autocannons and Havoc

1 Relic Contemptor with Havoc Launcher

2 Vindicator with Laser Destroyer

1 Vindicator with Battle Cannon

2 Rhinos

What do ya think will that be a good start, or should I try to sell something?

Second question is in what direction are your Lists going?

The lasts I saw from you are heavy going on assault marines is that right?

Greetings

Hi guys I want to start an Blood Angels force so,

I have 2 questions and hope you can help me .

Actually I have:

30 MK3 Marines ( from Prospero Box)

30 MK4 Marines ( Calth Box )

5 Tartaros Terminators

5 Cataphractii Terminators

2 Apothecarie ( glued with normal Backpack)

1 Leviathan

1 Deredreo with Autocannons and Havoc

1 Relic Contemptor with Havoc Launcher

2 Vindicator with Laser Destroyer

1 Vindicator with Battle Cannon

2 Rhinos

What do ya think will that be a good start, or should I try to sell something?

Second question is in what direction are your Lists going?

The lasts I saw from you are heavy going on assault marines is that right?

Greetings

You could try full on veterans list with what you have. Pride of the legion.

The I5 and +1 to wound will definitely help.

Iv never tried 10 man assault cannon unit, no idea what it’d be like tbh.

It’s a different list from mine. I went for jumpers and fast attack.

• 5 months later...

Has anybody ever tried running a Heavy Support squad with Iliastus Assault Cannons?

I'm thinking about loading a 9 man squad into a rhino with an apothecary.

I'm thinking after the rhino transports them in range, they will be able to do a good amount of damage.

Only issue is, 24" is a danger zone and you're at best getting snapshots on that turn. Then they're only only 3+/5+++ dudes, maybe in cover.

Getting them into a nice position and having an Augary scanner though... Now that's deadly!

Or if you play outside those 6 missions from the core rules. There are at least 12 other regular missions throuout book 4 and... 6? Cityfight and Shadowwar. Both have some maps where you don't start 24" away but way closer to the enemy. In that theatre of war they excel.

You could as well put a Vigilator in them.

I currently run a Armoured breakthrough ROW for my BA.  With the recent changes via the faq I am considering adding in a boxnaught with a flamestorm cannon in a drop to for a little fun T1.  Thanks to the fact boxnaughts get legion pods as a DDT and the immobile rules getting cleared up I believe this is now legal. 

Take a fist with a assault cannon to round things out and you are off to the races :biggrin.:

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

So glad this site is back up and running!

I'm pumped for the drop of Malevolence. I've been keeping my eye on 30k for a looooooooong time, but with the impending release I finally got the digital versions of the red books. Working towards an all-purpose IX Legion list that looks, feels, and plays the way I have always envisioned the Sons of Baal to: High Speed, Low Drag, mobile, in-your-face, punchy and using close air support in lieu of heavier tanks.

The final product will contain:

• Sanguinius
  • possible character such as Raldoran, Azkaellon, Amit, Kano, etc...
  • special unit (most likely Sanguinary Guard, but we'll see what the book brings)
  • 2x Xiphon Interceptors (I own two gorgeous models)
  • Either Contemptor or Leviathan Dreadnought (those previewed models are nuts).
  • Probably Jump Pack Assault Troops
  • Apothecarion or Medicae (I have 2x FW ones I have been sitting on for years now)

That's the concept, anyways. I'm leaning towards the following 2x Rites of War:

• Day of Revelation
  • Angel's Wrath
  • possibly Drop Assault Vanguard (If I splurge for a Thunderhawk :huh.: )

We obviously won't know more about special units, Sangy's stats, or any such until the book drops, but in preparation and to start getting ahead I am looking to your thoughts on what of the above works, doesn't work, and can maybe work with a little effort. Looking to start putting something together with the toys we have available to us now, and then substitute various components based on what the book brings.

Right now the immediate thought is a 1-3 big blocks of Jump Assault Marines with an Apothecary attached, the Xiphons for speedy pew pew, and a scary Dread dropping in via pod as the "tank". Maybe Heavy Support Squads or Rapiers for dakka. I know Rapiers/Quad Mortars are considered solid, but I'm on the fence if they are "Blood Angel-y" enough, even if they roll out of Drop Pods.

This is a slow burn project, but any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Eeeey Indefragable, mate!  Aye, like Charlo said, I think you definitely got something there, too. The list you described is almost -exactly- what I run (Though I also tend to add in some big Tac squads in Storm Eagles).

I'd suggest maaaybe looking at Destroyers as well, it doesn't sound Blood Angels-y on the surface, but I think I recall some mention of Sanguinius's Primarch book with the “Sacrificial Sons” or something like that, silver death mask wearing Destroyer hosts. Scary jump pack units to add to the jump pack flavour and scares off mechanicus units and with Encarmine Fury they are reliable. 

Xiphons, Voss-Lightnings, yeah they really work as close in air support maybe with a Javelin or so if you feel you want a fast mobile AT platform instead of going for rapiers?

As for the Thunderhawk... it's pretty fun in big games (got one and I tend to stuff it with Terminators) :smile.:

Edited by Vykes

Thanks for pointing out the Javelin.....I never really noticed/payed attention to it before. 75pts for a TL lascannon and 2x HK missiles? And this is pseudo-7th Ed so no penalty to hit.

Not too shabby. Too bad I would only have a slot for 1 if I take 2x Xiphons in the FA slot.

I would love a redone Day of Sorrows.

Its very fluffy and very Blood Angely, too bad its garbage row right now.

It should be redone into something useful.

So a little tangential but also relevant to your opinion comments (which I 100% agree with!)

A little while ago on the "Crusade & Heresy" Facebook group there was a big thread talking about how you would fix certain Rites of War that are considered broken (e.g. do not work). Now, a lot of people too this to mean "how would you buff weaker RoW", which was not the discussion. In fact, some of the Heresy Devs (Andy Chambers etc) were on the group and had a response such as "this RoW is meant to be used to represent a certain force in a narrative setting", thus meaning that while some RoW are unquestionably weak, they are meant to be that way as they are more about narrative than the crunch in-game.

Now, I'm hoping that DoS is an exception to this - a byproduct of quickly getting rules out for BA as a placeholder but I guess it could always mean that we're stuck with this!

eh no worries, Indefragable, mate.  The Javelin is a pretty decent choice, I'll admit I'm thinking of one with Angels Wrath along with some Skyslayer jetbikes so I can have an actual unit which might not be completely decimated before the Eagles/Xiphons/Raptors are inbound. the las-cannon and HK missiles was my thoughts too of potentially getting a shot off on the AA on the sly to pave the way for the air-assault. 

You could splurge more and get a storm bird instead. For the points its much better than the thunderhawk

Legit question: How is the Stormbird better off than a Thunderhawk?  I don't doubt it is, I just feel like I'm missing something I guess.  It there something to the different layours of the turret overlapping fire arcs?  The Sokar really seems great with that orbital strike but by then we're talking about 4K matches while the Hawk is still workable sub 3K.  On the ground the Stormbird's shield projectors are pretty terrific sounding too but it almost feels like those will go down in a few seconds to enemy fire at that level.  I am very much asking because while I own a Thunderhawk for my Blood Angels, I've mulled over a Storm Bird for my Sons of Horus for a while and still never came to a decision. 

As to the Day of Sorrows... yeah, gotta agree with everyone there.  I mean, I love it, I've used it (my Blood angels are built around being the remnants of a company on the steps of the Imperial Palace and, thus, a Forelorn Hope well represented by Day of Sorrows) but while it's cool and is fun to play, I don't think I've ever legitimately won  while using it. 

On the topic of Day of Sorrow I think if they buffed the offensive capabilities a bit more than it could be interesting. Like a lot of alternate RoWs, I think it's meant to be a stark contrast to the DoR, going for steady, resilient units in your backfield rather than in-your-face offense. I think if they applied a +1A, +1S, re-rollable charges or something to units that count as destroyed, then it could have some potential. Then the enemy is kind of torn between trying to finish off one of your units (and getting easier Kill Points), but then facing the wrath of one of your units going into a Fearless berzerker death frenzy where you literally have nothing to lose by throwing them right at the enemy.

<shrug>

Or you get the Company Ancient ability from 8th where when a model dies, on a 4+ he gets to shoot or attack again.

Represents the IX Legion knowingly going to their deaths, but going down swinging and swinging hard. Makes both sides sorrowful for the predicament they face.

Edited by Indefragable

I've said it before but the main issue with the RoW is that the buff is useless, takes too long to activate and can be achieved with an Apothecary...

Its not that its useless, its worse than that, its detrimental.

FnP if the squad is less than 50% is ok, its adequate at best, but the fact that now they cant capture now is a major hindrance.

Remove the fact that they cant capture after its activated, and there, its fixed now.

DoR is still better and most people will be using that, but It'll give guys like me who don't use assault marines an actual adequate BA RoW.