[HH1.0] Blood Angels Tactica - Assault Cannons For Days

The Unseen

Legit question: How is the Stormbird better off than a Thunderhawk? I don't doubt it is, I just feel like I'm missing something I guess. It there something to the different layours of the turret overlapping fire arcs? The Sokar really seems great with that orbital strike but by then we're talking about 4K matches while the Hawk is still workable sub 3K. On the ground the Stormbird's shield projectors are pretty terrific sounding too but it almost feels like those will go down in a few seconds to enemy fire at that level. I am very much asking because while I own a Thunderhawk for my Blood Angels, I've mulled over a Storm Bird for my Sons of Horus for a while and still never came to a decision.

A fully kitted thunderhawk is 985 where as a stormbird is 1k on the nose. With that you gain better firepower, better armor, more transport capacity, void shields, and an invul save.

Edited by james71989

Legit question: How is the Stormbird better off than a Thunderhawk? I don't doubt it is, I just feel like I'm missing something I guess. It there something to the different layours of the turret overlapping fire arcs? The Sokar really seems great with that orbital strike but by then we're talking about 4K matches while the Hawk is still workable sub 3K. On the ground the Stormbird's shield projectors are pretty terrific sounding too but it almost feels like those will go down in a few seconds to enemy fire at that level. I am very much asking because while I own a Thunderhawk for my Blood Angels, I've mulled over a Storm Bird for my Sons of Horus for a while and still never came to a decision.

A fully kitted thunderhawk is 985 where as a stormbird is 1k on the nose. With that you gain better firepower, better armor, more transport capacity, void shields, and an invul save.

And the model only cost 435 Euro more. :)

How viable are Deathstorm Drop Pods?

A. in terms of firepower/area denial

B. to fill out a third Drop Pod Assault slot (so you can get say, 2 Dreads down T1)

C. are there 30k rules for the assault cannon version?

A. When it arrives you hit everything within 12" with 3 Krak Missiles or 2 S5 AP4 Small Blasts, not bat against some parking lots!

B. Could be tough to maneuver, but can work nicely. You need to keep it away from your other pods.

C. Sadly no, however with BAs penchant for Assault Cannons and Deep Strike maybe we'll see it as a variant for them in Malevolence?

Considering it's something that can potentially deal a LOT of damage and (with a lot of luck) one shot a lot of the Legion Vehicles, it ain't bad for 115 points. The main issue is that a single pod is a heavy support choice. After it's opening Salvo it's just a 3 Shot missile launcher or 2 Shot Fragger though.

• 2 months later...

Crimson Paladins.

Speculation on rules/abilities/purpose?

I have to admit that a special Terminator unit is the last thing I was expecting for the IX Legion, so that's cool, but hopefully they don't overshadow Sanguinary Guard.

I have a feeling that Crimson Paladin for BA and Keshig for WS will both be "anvil" units designed to hold the enemy in place so that the swifter "hammer" units can Outflank/Descend from the Skies.

Alternatively, maybe they are a bodyguard unit made up of capable warriors who simply get airsick/don't like jumping out of perfectly good aircraft and so are not ideal for the Sanguinary Guard?

Based on the models, it looks like Cataphractii with power swords and storm shields. Hopefully they have some nifty rules, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's all they end up with. I'm willing to put a fiver down that the spear in the Sgt's hands is +1I or such.

Crimson Paladins.

Speculation on rules/abilities/purpose?

I have to admit that a special Terminator unit is the last thing I was expecting for the IX Legion, so that's cool, but hopefully they don't overshadow Sanguinary Guard.

I have a feeling that Crimson Paladin for BA and Keshig for WS will both be "anvil" units designed to hold the enemy in place so that the swifter "hammer" units can Outflank/Descend from the Skies.

Alternatively, maybe they are a bodyguard unit made up of capable warriors who simply get airsick/don't like jumping out of perfectly good aircraft and so are not ideal for the Sanguinary Guard?

Based on the models, it looks like Cataphractii with power swords and storm shields. Hopefully they have some nifty rules, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's all they end up with. I'm willing to put a fiver down that the spear in the Sgt's hands is +1I or such.

I guess that spear is exactly the same the EC have.

@Charlo: In the hands of BA I don't think Power Swords are useless, but we'll see.

Maybe they get something like UM Invictarus or smth.

Edited by Gorgoff

If they're ap3 they're functionally useless ;) at least by internet hyperbole standards

As long as their Sergeant has access to an AP2 weapon they'll be just fine. Most units have 3+ trousers and for that it is enough.

The Crimson Paladins are meant to be your spearhead unit. The ones that tag along with your Praetor loaded into a Spartan.

The fact that they have swords worries me a bit because ap3 can be really limiting in 30k.

Then again if they're with a Praetor with a Blade of Perdition, a Cataphractii Primus Medicae with a Thunder Hammer, and that Sgt that has a spear, then you'll have a unit that has a 3++ with a 5+ Feel No Pain and with a decent ap2 capability. '

There's potential there for this unit to be pretty great.

Edited by m0nolith

The Crimson Paladins are meant to be your spearhead unit. The ones that tag along with your Praetor loaded into a Spartan.

The fact that they have swords worries me a bit because ap3 can be really limiting in 30k.

Then again if they're with a Praetor with a Blade of Perdition, a Cataphractii Primus Medicae with a Thunder Hammer, and that Sgt that has a spear, then you'll have a unit that has a 3++ with a 5+ Feel No Pain and with a decent ap2 capability. '

There's potential there for this unit to be pretty great.

And one more reason to paint my third Grav-Cannon. ;) Edited by Gorgoff

I'm really in two minds about the spear. I'm almost hoping it's just a different model for a Blade of Perdition (same as how a Paragon Blade can be anything, Loken has a Chainsword!) BA and EC are aesthetically similar as is and it sucks to steal their gimmick...!

• 2 weeks later...

Without points and concrete rules it's hard to theorise, however...

Expect to see a lot of Day of Revelation with BA, not that they weren't before!

With the bonuses Sanguinius gives to jump packs (can use in both movement and assault), even more jump troops, Crimson Paladins having deep strike, jump dreads etc speed is the name of the game, and the bonuses for the Rite are huuuuge.

Sadly no news about day of sorrow. I'm hoping it's been changed but likely not.

Is it just me or does the Crimson Paladins sound underwhelming?

I love them, and the fact I don’t need a Dreadclaw to deliver them makes them even better.

The question i have is the points for 3 and each additional model. This will make or break them in my eyes.

Edited by m0nolith

So.

What do people think?

Raldoron is good, very good arguably, sitting in the top few special character praetors IMO, he's as skilled as sigismund on pure stats, but less tough, his weapon is very very good. The ability to pick warlord trait is kind of nice (the deep strike units one seems like a no brainer for him).

In a day of revelations list, he is init 6 on the charge which is great.

He will lose in challenges vs sigi, but who doesn't? He has a fair chance against just about anyone else, especially if he got the charge.

And he is cheap! I'd have liked a little blood angels rule thrown in to finish him off personally, something like adamantium will or stubborn would have been minor but very appropriate for him.

The three special units seem fairly cool, destroyers will be fun, I do have to switch all my bolt pistols to serpenta now lol. Dawn breakers are quite interesting,I thought they were AP 2 when I read them, but oh well. Crimson paladins should have been 2 wounds I think.

Something I really hope heresy takes from all the other games, is AP modifiers. It makes something like power swords not terrible.

What are the thoughts on sanguinius? How does he fare against his brothers?

With a few of us lucky enough to have a look through the book this past weekend I thought I’d collate what we know, and discuss how the IXth will look on the battlefield in the future.

Sanguinius 485pts

WS9 BS5 S6 T6 I7 W6 A6 Ld10 Sv 2+

2+/4++, can re-roll invulnerable saves on the turn he charges

Sire of Blood Angels:

Sangy gets +1I +1A on turn he charges. All BA in army can use jump packs in both Movement and Assault phase.

Something about BA units in 3” get +D3 Wounds scored for purposes of settling assault

Wings:

Jump pack equip he can use in both Movement/Assault phase (re roll failed charges)

He and his unit do not scatter.

Hammer of Wrath at S10 AP2

Vector Strike equiv at S6 AP2 (big long rule I couldn’t read all of)

18” Infernus (pistol) something something (one shot only)

Weapon options below are mutually exclusive:

Weapon option A:

Encarmine Blade: Melee S+2 AP2 Shred, Rampage

Weapon(s) Option B:

B1 Spear of Telesto

—Melee: S+3/User AP1/2 Armourbane, Special Rule

—Shooting: 12” S7 AP2 Armourbane, Special Rule

—Special rule: To Wound rolls of 6 do an extra wound

B2 Moonsilver Blade

Melee S:User AP 3 Duelist’s Edge, Moonsilver* , one other rule

Moonsilver: extra Wounds on daemons (like blade of perdition), Mc, psykers

Dawn bringer assault squads are unlocked as troops.

Dawnbreakers - elites. Sanguinius unlocks these as troops

Jump infantry assault unit

All have Artificer, ws 5, 2 attacks

All come with Phoenix spears

Sgt can have a blade of perdition

All can swap spears with paired swords that are ap3 plus either rending or +1 initiative, choose when you attack

When they deep strike they do a ranged attack on a unit within 6".

Crimson Paladins - elites

Come in a unit of 3, max of 5

Have deep strike standard

1 wound unit Sgt has 2 wounds (I think)

Get bonuses for being outnumbered

Come with power weapon and powers shields which reduce incoming attacks by -1 strength

Sgt can take a blade of perdition instead

Angels tears - elites

Unique destroyers

All come with 2 volkite pistols and rad grenades 

Any model can swap pistols for rotor cannons, assault cannons with suspense webs, several other options (!)

Sgt can swap chainsword with power weapon or power fists

Incaendius dreadnought - fast attack

Contemptor dreadnought

Unit of 1 only

Come with 2 talons of perdition- s user, ap 2, deathfire

Can swap talons with dreadnought combat weapon

Talons include heavy flamer can upgrade to assault cannons

Has a special thruster chose 1 rule.

Either can deploy via deep strike.

Or. Once per game can use it in the movement phase to move 12" or in the assault phase one charge 3d6.

Blade of perdition still has the deathfire rule. Any model that suffers a wound, suffers 2 instead, both wounds must be saved separately. 

2 characters

Raldoron there's a photo of his rules in the booklet will upload later.

Justciar can't remember his name

Basically a 3 wound centurion

+1s ap3 melee weapon

2 hand flames

When he dies, roll a d6, on a 4+ he goes into ongoing reserves with 1 wound

Has scout I think. Can also pick d3 enemy units granting BA units preferred enemy or some other bonus against them

The above is what I managed to piece together from my own memory and online not everything may be 100% accurate but gives us a basis to start a discussion.

I've always loved Destroyers and the fact BA are getting their own fluffy ones makes me excited!

As I said above the sheer amount of new jump pack and deep striking options makes DoR RoW a no brainer still.

Really hoping there are new RoW or Sorrow is changed....

Really intrigued to see the models for Tears and Dawn Breakers too