[HH1.0] Blood Angels Tactica - Assault Cannons For Days

The Unseen

What’s the “right” proportion of assault cannons in an Angel’s Tears squad? 6x AC gives you 24 shots, 16 hits (12” range), which then gives you 2.67 Rends. Of course things could swing quite a bit, but what’s a good # of ACs to include in a unit for an all purpose utility squad?

On one hand I’m of a mind to go nuts and have a sacrificial unit that can delete almost anything off the board. On the other hand, that is quite and expensive fire and forget weapon.

What’s the “right” proportion of assault cannons in an Angel’s Tears squad? 6x AC gives you 24 shots, 16 hits (12” range), which then gives you 2.67 Rends. Of course things could swing quite a bit, but what’s a good # of ACs to include in a unit for an all purpose utility squad?

On one hand I’m of a mind to go nuts and have a sacrificial unit that can delete almost anything off the board. On the other hand, that is quite and expensive fire and forget weapon.

I’m not sure if there is an exact number, but In my experience units which half do a task only end up not very good.

It’s almost like angels tears are designed for assault cannons!

• 3 weeks later...

Contemptor-incendius. He would you run him.

Personally, I’m thinking bare bones, no assault cannons, 1 talon 1 fist.

Honestly, I’m probably going to go with 2 fists for the aesthetics.

Edited by m0nolith

With cortus dreds etc I just run stock and try and shove a chainfist in there for anti tank.

Personally I don’t see the point in assault cannons as he is DS in likely, so will be in combat.

Is it worth the points for one round of shooting?

Up to you I suppose but I’d rather spend it on fists etc elsewhere!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you had a mastadon in a 3k list.. what would you put in it?

I have put up an army list in the section, I know we are ‘the jump pack guys’ but the thought of a blood angel mastadon wrecking face is pretty appealing

I dont have a single jump pack in my army.

It’s 30k, not 40k. You don’t need to min max here. Play what you wanna play ;)

In regard to the mastadon, maybe a Contemptor, a 20 man squad of despoilers, along with an Apothecary, chaplain, Praetor, and whatever else you want here. There’s something appealing about putting down a massive squad like that on the table.

Another option is reducing the size of that squad and adding a 5man squad of Crimson Paladins, armed with power axes and a BoP along a Cataphractii Primus Medicae. I think it’s one few ways to get the Crimson Paladins to “work”.

If you had a mastadon in a 3k list.. what would you put in it?

I have put up an army list in the section, I know we are ‘the jump pack guys’ but the thought of a blood angel mastadon wrecking face is pretty appealing

I dont have a single jump pack in my army.

It’s 30k, not 40k. You don’t need to min max here. Play what you wanna play ;)

In regard to the mastadon, maybe a Contemptor, a 20 man squad of despoilers, along with an Apothecary, chaplain, Praetor, and whatever else you want here. There’s something appealing about putting down a massive squad like that on the table.

Another option is reducing the size of that squad and adding a 5man squad of Crimson Paladins, armed with power axes and a BoP along a Cataphractii Primus Medicae. I think it’s one few ways to get the Crimson Paladins to “work”.

Ten Tartaros would be nice too. :)

Easy.

My thoughts were terminator command squad and praetor, 5 man crimson paladins, a contemptor and WM vets to make it up. Pretty choppy!

IMO the legion rules lean to jump pack preference, especially if you take sangy you’d be a fool not to include them.

Plus 2 of their special units are JP equipped.

So whilst being ‘the jump pack guys’ I was playing about with a different feel.

Having all that charging out of a mastadon whilst armour flanks it and lays down withering hails of plasma fire along with a fraptor coming in is more of a fist than a surgical

Strike!

Easy.

My thoughts were terminator command squad and praetor, 5 man crimson paladins, a contemptor and WM vets to make it up. Pretty choppy!

IMO the legion rules lean to jump pack preference, especially if you take sangy you’d be a fool not to include them.

Plus 2 of their special units are JP equipped.

So whilst being ‘the jump pack guys’ I was playing about with a different feel.

Having all that charging out of a mastadon whilst armour flanks it and lays down withering hails of plasma fire along with a fraptor coming in is more of a fist than a surgical

Strike!

That sounds like a good deal, but the issue is that the Mastadon really isn’t all that good of a unit for its points. Two Spartans would do a much better job for the same points.The other issue is that the Mastadon IMO is one of the coolest looking models, so it really makes me want to run it :D

On the JP thing, yeah without a doubt there is a lean towards Jump Pack units with out units, but that doesn’t mean it forces you to play nothing but jump troops. Non JP troops are perfectly viable for the BA and I’m very happy with the army I have and play. Jump pack BA units aren’t super prevalent in the Heresy novels, save the Sanguinary guard and Zephon. The BA still follow the Principia Bellicosa, so they have a ton of tactical marines, terminators, heavy Support, tanks, artillery, ect ect

I also have an issue with the fact that assault marines are still only available in resin, and they look aesthetically different with those skinny legs and arms compared to the plastic Tac Legionaries or any of the more modern releases. Some, maybe most people don’t care about that, but hey, you do your hobby the way you want to do it.

I’m still holding out for plastic assault marines.

Mathematically, the spear is a better choice. It's just a more versatile weapon on the whole (anti vehicle, multiwound, and feel no pain) and the sword doesn't provide any more killing power in reality. You can charge a 10 man cataphractii squad with sang and sweep them on average, with 1 wound suffered.

Having played against a blood angels list, paladins suck. They immediately reminded me of OG Justaerin; they need 5 man min, points drops, power fist points drops and potentially fnp from shooting too. Dawnbreakers are real good though, especially with a chaplain.

Mathematically, the spear is a better choice. It's just a more versatile weapon on the whole (anti vehicle, multiwound, and feel no pain) and the sword doesn't provide any more killing power in reality. You can charge a 10 man cataphractii squad with sang and sweep them on average, with 1 wound suffered.

Having played against a blood angels list, paladins suck. They immediately reminded me of OG Justaerin; they need 5 man min, points drops, power fist points drops and potentially fnp from shooting too. Dawnbreakers are real good though, especially with a chaplain.

Working on Paladins right now with Power Axes with a Cataphractii Primus Medicae.

I think its one of the only ways to get them to be actually good.

Machine Killer Vets kitbash:

Hidden Content

62138286_10108136316697968_3112804288242

Need inspiration for a Siege Breaker to go with them and/or Angel's Tears.

Is +1 to Armor Penetration (Machine Killers) + Tank Hunters (Siege Breaker) + Armourbane (Melta bombs) overkill?

...on that note, Jump Pack units can go in Anvillus Dreadclaws, right? Are Transport rules Inclusive or Exclusive by default? Inclusive = can take anything unless specified otherwise. Exclusive = cannot be taken unless specified otherwise.

Edited by Indefragable