Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Blood Angels Tactica - Assault Cannons For Days

• Please log in to reply
1061 replies to this topic

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,436 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Next Indy question:

-Javelin speeders: "everyone" seems to take 2x in a squadron MM + Missile launchers + as many hunter killers as you can fit. Is this a build that is mathematically so good there's no reason not to take it? Obviously the utility missiles give you is useful, and with DS you're going for rear arcs. However, as I stated above, I always seem to be light on long-range anti-tank (aka lascannons) in my IX Legion lists, so the idea of a mobile gun platform that has the option to DS (but can shoot on T1 if I want my having it start on the board) is appealing.

Any experiences?

-Crimson Paladins: much maligned, these weird fellas are. That being said, any experiences and/or if you had to run them, how would you use them?

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,458 posts

Next Indy question:

-Javelin speeders: "everyone" seems to take 2x in a squadron MM + Missile launchers + as many hunter killers as you can fit. Is this a build that is mathematically so good there's no reason not to take it? Obviously the utility missiles give you is useful, and with DS you're going for rear arcs. However, as I stated above, I always seem to be light on long-range anti-tank (aka lascannons) in my IX Legion lists, so the idea of a mobile gun platform that has the option to DS (but can shoot on T1 if I want my having it start on the board) is appealing.

Any experiences?

-Crimson Paladins: much maligned, these weird fellas are. That being said, any experiences and/or if you had to run them, how would you use them?

Speeders are just that good. The legion list actually doens't have that much access to mobile, fast, cheap anti-tank. It does it all. Lascannons are valid too, however with a MM you'll need to be close anyway and Las is a touch more expensive is all. Font AV 11 is the real kicker as people can't just bolter them down - they need to "waste" anti-vehicle on them and most likely get through jink too.

Paladins are contentious. They're just really schitzophrenic in their rules. They want to be outnumbered to make the most of their rules yet excel at taking on other terminators, plus they count as two models each so need to be fighting something of 11 size or higher...? Personally they seem to be made to be a wall. They won't kill much but they WILL NOT DIE due to a potential 2+/4++/4+++. Expensive way to hold off those pesky militia I suppose?

m0nolith

m0nolith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,060 posts
  • Faction: IXth Legion: The Blood Angels

Next Indy question:

To be fully clear, my Paladins haven’t seen the table since I take forever to paint something, but I’m planning on making my into a heavy anti enemy Elite unit.

I started taking off the swords and replacing them with power axes. First I have to take off the right hand off which is a pain because it comes attached to the arm, and then I have to take a right handed Cataphractii Terminator thunder hammer, cut off the upper half of the thunder hammer, cut off the upper half of a left handed Cataphractii Power Axe, mate that top half to the bottom half of the right thunder hammer hand, and then mate that hand to the right arm of a Paladin.

Here's a pic of one of them
gallery_86352_12089_44260.jpg

...yeah, it’s a lot of work. The swords look cool, the rending they have is awesome and the fact that they strike at initiative is great, but I’m sorry, I just couldn’t resist that AP2.

There’s also the fact that I really want to run them with a Cataphractii Primus Medicae, you know that one (kinda ugly) model that they released for like one day a few years back. I’m happy Iv kept him all this time because now I get to attach them to this squad of Paladins. This will give the Paladins his standard 5+ FnP whenever, and I don’t have to worry about having to be in CC for it to go off, AND now I can actually use that FnP in close combat against Power fists and chain fists because due to the Paladin’s shields they’re striking at S7, meaning they’re not doubling out so no insta-death.

Park them in some sort of delivery system and you have a hard hitting and hard to crack Anti Elite unit that’s pretty points efficient.

Edited by m0nolith, 24 September 2019 - 11:00 AM.

gallery_48988_10980_21879.png    gallery_86352_12089_20671.jpg

Instagram gallery_86352_14298_238.jpgm0nolithpainting

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,436 posts

I've been on a hobbying (as opposed to playing) kick for personal reasons at the moment, so I'm thinking of building my Crimson Paladins to strike while the paint is hot. At this point I'm thinking of just giving them all Sunset blades + Shields since I've heard that putting ranged weapons (like the assault cannon they come with) is pointless and I'm a bit burnt out on researching such things.

On a different note, I just got my Raldoron model in and he has reinvigorated my hobbying interest even further. I'm also having lots of fun theory-hammering how to make use of him. Right now I'm leaning towards a mechanized infantry list that is in stark contrast to my typical all-jump-pack High Speed, Low Drag style of IX Legion.

Latest thought to hit me:

-Raldoron with World Burner (Shred to D3 units' Template/Blast weapons) WLT

-Nullifactors, all with Toxiferric Flamers (flamers that remove psychic blessings and are AP2 on To Wound rolls of 6).

Profit?

Mackenzie

Mackenzie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 101 posts
I would always put a single fist in with the Crimson Pallies, just Incase.

For Ral I like a mechanized army or maybe Orbital assault with him and a command squad in a pod or angels wrath in a storm eagle.

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,436 posts

It’s me again, in case you missed me. Some more thoughts:

-If I read this correctly, RAW, there’s nothing stopping a Vigilator from taking a jump pack (specifically says no bikes, jet bikes, or Terminator are ours)...put him in a jump squad in Day if Revelation, then drop a Dreadnought Drop Pod in between the unit and the foe for a 2+ cover save. 5+ from DoR, +2 Shrouded from pod, +1 from Stealth from Vigilator. Feels wrong but RAW...

-any experience running Mech infantry with assault cannon+Combi-bolter Rhinos?

-and maybe I’m an idiot , for just realizing this, but Combat Shields still grant you +1 Attack if you have pistol + melee weapon, right? Compared to the boarding shield which specifically says you can’t. 

-...speaking of, I’m thinking of a jump command squad with combat shields, Charnabal Sabre’s, and Volkite with the banner dude having power fist + shield. Charnabal Sabre’s get a bad wrap, but I like the idea of having 4x bodies that can eat challenges at I5, possibly I6 with DoR.

Edited by Indefragable, 03 November 2019 - 07:46 AM.

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,952 posts
  • Faction: IVth Legion
Dreadnought Drop Pods only give themselfes and the Dreadnought Shrouded.
And yes, you can still get +1a with a Combat Shield.

Edited by Gorgoff, 03 November 2019 - 08:20 AM.

Bring back Psycho Dad!
gallery_48988_10980_12646.png

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,903 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Yeah the DDP was changed in recent publications/FAQs or whatever to update it to longer give shrouding to anything that wasn't the Dreadnought it was transporting.

Correct on the Combat Shields; vs Boarding Shields you're trading +1A in CC for 2CCW (if the model has the appropriate weapons to get +1A from multiple weapons) for 'Defensive Grenades' IE: Negating enemy charge bonuses.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

WolfLogic

WolfLogic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 46 posts

With the Assault Cannon points increase, I've been wondering about the Contemptor lately. Is the two CCW w/ inset Assault Cannons still viable or has the price increase made it not worth the points?

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,458 posts
100% viable as it's the best option by a country mile.

m0nolith

m0nolith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,060 posts
  • Faction: IXth Legion: The Blood Angels
The tread is called Assault Cannons for Days for a reason :D

Edited by m0nolith, Today, 01:27 PM.

gallery_48988_10980_21879.png    gallery_86352_12089_20671.jpg

Instagram gallery_86352_14298_238.jpgm0nolithpainting

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,458 posts
Explaining further, your options are as follows:

Heavy Flamer - shorter range, only AP4
Grav Gun - if you want to hurt heavy vehicles, amazing
Plasma Blaster - Potentially amazing but risky from Gets Hot!
Combi Bolter - Saves... Points?
Assault Cannon - highest volume of shots, high strength, potential AP2, great against light/ medium vehicles

Really imo it's between Grav for fighting Heavy Vehicles or Assault Cannons for everything else. Plasma is okay if you *really* need AP2 though.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users