[HH1.0] Blood Angels Tactica - Assault Cannons For Days

The Unseen

Next Indy question:

-Javelin speeders: "everyone" seems to take 2x in a squadron MM + Missile launchers + as many hunter killers as you can fit. Is this a build that is mathematically so good there's no reason not to take it? Obviously the utility missiles give you is useful, and with DS you're going for rear arcs. However, as I stated above, I always seem to be light on long-range anti-tank (aka lascannons) in my IX Legion lists, so the idea of a mobile gun platform that has the option to DS (but can shoot on T1 if I want my having it start on the board) is appealing.

Any experiences?

-Crimson Paladins: much maligned, these weird fellas are. That being said, any experiences and/or if you had to run them, how would you use them?

Next Indy question:

-Javelin speeders: "everyone" seems to take 2x in a squadron MM + Missile launchers + as many hunter killers as you can fit. Is this a build that is mathematically so good there's no reason not to take it? Obviously the utility missiles give you is useful, and with DS you're going for rear arcs. However, as I stated above, I always seem to be light on long-range anti-tank (aka lascannons) in my IX Legion lists, so the idea of a mobile gun platform that has the option to DS (but can shoot on T1 if I want my having it start on the board) is appealing.

Any experiences?

-Crimson Paladins: much maligned, these weird fellas are. That being said, any experiences and/or if you had to run them, how would you use them?

Speeders are just that good. The legion list actually doens't have that much access to mobile, fast, cheap anti-tank. It does it all. Lascannons are valid too, however with a MM you'll need to be close anyway and Las is a touch more expensive is all. Font AV 11 is the real kicker as people can't just bolter them down - they need to "waste" anti-vehicle on them and most likely get through jink too.

Paladins are contentious. They're just really schitzophrenic in their rules. They want to be outnumbered to make the most of their rules yet excel at taking on other terminators, plus they count as two models each so need to be fighting something of 11 size or higher...? Personally they seem to be made to be a wall. They won't kill much but they WILL NOT DIE due to a potential 2+/4++/4+++. Expensive way to hold off those pesky militia I suppose?

Next Indy question:

To be fully clear, my Paladins haven’t seen the table since I take forever to paint something, but I’m planning on making my into a heavy anti enemy Elite unit.

I started taking off the swords and replacing them with power axes. First I have to take off the right hand off which is a pain because it comes attached to the arm, and then I have to take a right handed Cataphractii Terminator thunder hammer, cut off the upper half of the thunder hammer, cut off the upper half of a left handed Cataphractii Power Axe, mate that top half to the bottom half of the right thunder hammer hand, and then mate that hand to the right arm of a Paladin.

Here's a pic of one of them

gallery_86352_12089_44260.jpg

...yeah, it’s a lot of work. The swords look cool, the rending they have is awesome and the fact that they strike at initiative is great, but I’m sorry, I just couldn’t resist that AP2.

There’s also the fact that I really want to run them with a Cataphractii Primus Medicae, you know that one (kinda ugly) model that they released for like one day a few years back. I’m happy Iv kept him all this time because now I get to attach them to this squad of Paladins. This will give the Paladins his standard 5+ FnP whenever, and I don’t have to worry about having to be in CC for it to go off, AND now I can actually use that FnP in close combat against Power fists and chain fists because due to the Paladin’s shields they’re striking at S7, meaning they’re not doubling out so no insta-death.

Park them in some sort of delivery system and you have a hard hitting and hard to crack Anti Elite unit that’s pretty points efficient.

Edited by m0nolith

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on a hobbying (as opposed to playing) kick for personal reasons at the moment, so I'm thinking of building my Crimson Paladins to strike while the paint is hot. At this point I'm thinking of just giving them all Sunset blades + Shields since I've heard that putting ranged weapons (like the assault cannon they come with) is pointless and I'm a bit burnt out on researching such things.

On a different note, I just got my Raldoron model in and he has reinvigorated my hobbying interest even further. I'm also having lots of fun theory-hammering how to make use of him. Right now I'm leaning towards a mechanized infantry list that is in stark contrast to my typical all-jump-pack High Speed, Low Drag style of IX Legion.

Latest thought to hit me:

-Raldoron with World Burner (Shred to D3 units' Template/Blast weapons) WLT

-Nullifactors, all with Toxiferric Flamers (flamers that remove psychic blessings and are AP2 on To Wound rolls of 6).

Profit?

• 3 weeks later...

It’s me again, in case you missed me. Some more thoughts:

-If I read this correctly, RAW, there’s nothing stopping a Vigilator from taking a jump pack (specifically says no bikes, jet bikes, or Terminator are ours)...put him in a jump squad in Day if Revelation, then drop a Dreadnought Drop Pod in between the unit and the foe for a 2+ cover save. 5+ from DoR, +2 Shrouded from pod, +1 from Stealth from Vigilator. Feels wrong but RAW...

-any experience running Mech infantry with assault cannon+Combi-bolter Rhinos?

-and maybe I’m an idiot , for just realizing this, but Combat Shields still grant you +1 Attack if you have pistol + melee weapon, right? Compared to the boarding shield which specifically says you can’t. 

-...speaking of, I’m thinking of a jump command squad with combat shields, Charnabal Sabre’s, and Volkite with the banner dude having power fist + shield. Charnabal Sabre’s get a bad wrap, but I like the idea of having 4x bodies that can eat challenges at I5, possibly I6 with DoR.

Edited by Indefragable

Yeah the DDP was changed in recent publications/FAQs or whatever to update it to longer give shrouding to anything that wasn't the Dreadnought it was transporting.

Correct on the Combat Shields; vs Boarding Shields you're trading +1A in CC for 2CCW (if the model has the appropriate weapons to get +1A from multiple weapons) for 'Defensive Grenades' IE: Negating enemy charge bonuses.

• 2 weeks later...

Explaining further, your options are as follows:

Heavy Flamer - shorter range, only AP4

Grav Gun - if you want to hurt heavy vehicles, amazing

Plasma Blaster - Potentially amazing but risky from Gets Hot!

Combi Bolter - Saves... Points?

Assault Cannon - highest volume of shots, high strength, potential AP2, great against light/ medium vehicles

Really imo it's between Grav for fighting Heavy Vehicles or Assault Cannons for everything else. Plasma is okay if you *really* need AP2 though.

A regular Contemptor with double CCW and assault cannons is 225pts and so it the Incaendius, which one is more advised?

I'm going for a 2k point list and so far I've decided on 

2x 15 man Assault Squads

-3x Power Axe

-Sergeant w/ Artificer Armor and Power Axe

3x Javelins

-Multi Melta

-Cyclone Missile Launcher

-2x Hunter Killers

I want to add in a Contemptor, Angel's Tears. Raldoron, and a 5 man Dawnbreaker cohort.

I kind of feel Raldoron needs a transport since he doesn't have a jump pack but I don't know what would be best.

Edited by WolfLogic

With the Assault Cannon points increase, I've been wondering about the Contemptor lately. Is the two CCW w/ inset Assault Cannons still viable or has the price increase made it not worth the points?

Hello ! Where have you seen a point increase for the assault cannon ? I've checked the FAQ, but that's still the same from February ?

Other question, still working around a mechanized theme blood angel's force, I was looking the armoured breakthrough RoW, and it's quite nice, since we get (back ?) our fast rhino and predator.

But my question is

Can I upgrade my compulsory troops predator squadrons with TL assault cannon ? The RoW says predator AC and sponsons only but the TL assault are a legion option so...

With the Assault Cannon points increase, I've been wondering about the Contemptor lately. Is the two CCW w/ inset Assault Cannons still viable or has the price increase made it not worth the points?

Hello ! Where have you seen a point increase for the assault cannon ? I've checked the FAQ, but that's still the same from February ?

Other question, still working around a mechanized theme blood angel's force, I was looking the armoured breakthrough RoW, and it's quite nice, since we get (back ?) our fast rhino and predator.

But my question is

Can I upgrade my compulsory troops predator squadrons with TL assault cannon ? The RoW says predator AC and sponsons only but the TL assault are a legion option so...

With Book 8, weren't the points increased?

Assault Cannons still cost the same on infantry models.

As for the Predator / Armoured Breakthrough question:  Your troop slot Predators need to be armed with a Predator Cannon on top, and a choice of sponson weapons only.

So, nothing is hindering you from paying the points for Heavy Flamer sponsons and then upgrading them to Assault Cannons as per Malevolence ... but that's really really expensive.

Note that you cannot select the (cheap) option to switch your Predator Cannon for an Assault Cannon, as it's prohibited by the Rite of War.

Is the best config for Angels Tears all Assault Cannons?

Does it have the most output? Undeniably yes.

Is it the *best*? Perhaps not...

It's ridiculously expensive and the weapons are still sat on T4 3+ save models. When moving they only have a range of 12" so you have to be careful. Also they have twin Volkite Serpenta standard which are solid and grant an extra attack in CC.

I think a mix of weapons in the squad is best personally, still have some assault cannons, but have some base guys to eat the wounds first too.

Depends on what you’re doing with the unit. I have 5 AC in mine and might go more because my use case is to drop in and light something up, then be a distraction carnifex to pull fire from Dawnbreakers. However, there are probably smarter ways of running them. I think the rad grenade launcher has a lot of potential since it can be stacked with both the rad missile launcher from regular Destroyers and Rad Grenades....but that takes some effort to pull off.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any actual use for crimson paladins? Sure they look cool but the rules bite, I can’t bring myself to spend points on ap3 weapons and ws4.

What’s the advantage and who can you put with them to deep strike if there was any point in doing that?

My plan:

Hook them up with power axes and a Primus Medicae because I cant rely on the their standard FNP.

The -1 to S in CC actually now lets them use the PM Feel No Pain against power fists and chainfists, and coupled with the power axes 2ap makes them a pretty great anti elite unit.

Yeah I’m guessing the Primus couldn’t DS with them?

Sounds like an expensive unit at around 600 points though compared to a lot out there. The damage output would be poor and it’s a very weak Death Star.

You could only take 4 and the Primus in a Phobos too.

Even if you deep struck them, those pathetic AP3 blades just don’t cut it. Great they can maybe scratch a back of a rhino with their sunder and rending though