Lostrael's Dark Angels

Lostrael

I want to give my Horus Heresy Magus Dominus a calibanite background. Just for my records now, perhaps for a story later.

Magos Dominus Ephary

gallery_86236_11651_282400.jpg

Ephary grew up as child of a noble family of Caliban. The attack of a raptor destroyed much of her face. Scarred and disfigured she rarely spoke and was shunned by fellow children of her age.

Preferring the company of blacksmith and armorer of the fortress, she had an intuitive understanding of machines.

When the Terrans arrived on Caliban, her family petitioned that her face to be restored.

Close examination from the Mechanicum showed her potential.

They shipped her to Mars to learn and serve.

She returned years later as a Magos Dominus to Caliban to assist in the building of the aegis wall of the fortress of Aldurukh.

The power of her family had dwindled. Her parents long dead. Her brothers gone to earn glories in the Emperors Great Crusade. She sized leadership of her family lands and people and transformed the old fortress into forge for the First Legion.

She is bearing tools made of trophies from a great beast that Knights of her Family had slain.

A scythe and instruments made of bone claws. Used as weapons they will cut through every armor with ease.

She has the trust of the master of Caliban and is loyal to the first Legion. (...maybe not complete trust)

Next on my list is my First Legion Support Squad. They act as part of a force to keep her forge save.

I had the idea to create a symbol of her forge and add it to the armor of this squad. They would act as honor guard/ bodyguard.

Any flaws that speak against these ideas?

Edited by Lostrael

• 4 weeks later...

After playing around with the chapter symbol and my forge mistress iconic weapons, I like to go with this symbol.

Its easiest to paint, though I'm not sure about the squad markings.

Maybe it's to much...

gallery_86236_11651_72471.jpg

I really love the sinister look of these FW helmets.

gallery_86236_11651_194293.jpg

All around I like it. By the by, what is the model and from what company? maybe a link to the page could be sent to me or posted on here. I know i have seen it before but lost the info I had for it.

The only thing that might be an issue is that they would normally make a new building for making weapons after having been rediscovered by the Emperor and most of the old buildings that weren't still being used by the legion would probably be torn down to make room for new hive cities and such. But I still like it

Lovely heraldry, lovely colors, and lovely models. Just lovely all around.

All around I like it. By the by, what is the model and from what company? maybe a link to the page could be sent to me or posted on here. I know i have seen it before but lost the info I had for it.

It's the Necropriestess Nepharya model from Raging Heroes. I've been thinking about getting one myself, shame it's so expensive for the box, and you don't see too many on eBay, either.

Thanks, for your kind words. I hope I'll manage similar results on the other shoulder pads... the first freehand is always the easiest. :sweat:

The only thing that might be an issue is that they would normally make a new building for making weapons after having been rediscovered by the Emperor and most of the old buildings that weren't still being used by the legion would probably be torn down to make room for new hive cities and such. But I still like it

To my memory, many of the old settlements were abandoned as more and more people moved to the arcologies. As result the nobility was losing influence. The fortress would need to be near an arcology to get enough worker.

So you are right, just a fortress would be to small. 
Better her fortress would be at the center of a Mechanicum industry complex, a seat of power if you will, surrounded by forges and manufactorums.   
A bit like the fortress of Aldurukh, which was the heart of the huge complex, with training facilities, factories and defense structures... only on a much smaller scale.

I sometimes wonder if some of the populace of Caliban has survived its destruction...

Lovely heraldry, lovely colors, and lovely models. Just lovely all around.

It's the Necropriestess Nepharya model from Raging Heroes. I've been thinking about getting one myself, shame it's so expensive for the box, and you don't see too many on eBay, either.

Arrgs... clicking on that link reminded me on the other ideas I had... like my Apothecary support staff. :happy.:

I realized, after gluing, that the normal mk III shoulder pads from FW do not match the mkIII DA pads from FW.

The DA shoulder pads have a thicker border... :censored:

Now I have to try to trim them down, without spoiling paint :wallbash:

gallery_86236_11651_71604.jpg

Man, I'm quite blown away by your painting skills! The blending on the black armour is terrific, it almost has a subtle blue hue to it

And that priestess... Beautiful job ON her flesh and the inside of her robes. She's just dripping with character

Those da helmets look so menacing! They look great! I might need some some for my successor veterans to give them a particular brand of bad ass.

The priestess looks amazing too. I really like the boney scythes.

Keep it up,i hope to start posting pics of my chapter soon :smile.:

The helms are great, I need to get some more. I hope FW will bring some more DA stuff out soon.

I'm looking forward to see your chapter grow. 

Excellent work, the black armour is just superb :thumbsup: Are those robed legs from Spellcrow?

yes, Spellcrow. I was short of mkIII legs :blush.: and seeing them in the shop I could not resist. They match quite well to the FW torsos.

Man, I'm quite blown away by your painting skills! The blending on the black armour is terrific, it almost has a subtle blue hue to it

Thanks. I used a bit of light green blue color for dry brush and algae wash... Always with the risk that they look like Sons of Horus if it gets to bright. Nobody wants to look like a traitor :wink:  

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the Magos and the support squad :biggrin.: could I just ask though where did you get the weapons for the support squad as they do look rather fancy :happy.:

Thanks. :)

The weapons were a bit to big, so I cut some parts away.

http://maxmini.eu/conversion-bits/ballistic-weapons/matter-displacement-guns-bits

Love it all. Utterly superb HH DA and remarkably close to the paint scheme I had planned for my HH DA, though I've started with Mk II armour.

Would love to see a little recipe/tutorial on how you did the black. I've never done any wet blending, but if this is the result you can get it might be time to start trying!

Love it all. Utterly superb HH DA and remarkably close to the paint scheme I had planned for my HH DA, though I've started with Mk II armour.

Would love to see a little recipe/tutorial on how you did the black. I've never done any wet blending, but if this is the result you can get it might be time to start trying!

I would not call it wet-blending.

It is a combination of dry-brushing wet colors and washes. The colors are quite thin, so it takes a while.

I used 3 colors, black, light green blue and algae wash.

Black as base color.

Mixed back with the light green blue as dry brush colors.

Light green blue as highlight.

how to 1

how to 3

how to 2

I started with dry brushing a dark mix, and got lighter with every step.

Make sure you do not have too much color on your bush.

Correct errors by dry brushing black.

dry brushed:

gallery_86236_11651_84519.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_136379.jpg

Highlight the edges with a thin brush and a steady hand.

highlighted:

gallery_86236_11651_181108.jpg

Dry brush with algae wash. This wash is quite glossy, like proper polished armor should be.

The wash is a trick to smooth out small brush strokes, it makes all darker and gives a green hue.

If it runs in the seams, it will be to shiny, so I correct that with a bit black GW wash.

washed:

gallery_86236_11651_159421.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_32202.jpg

If you have miniatures with an uneven surface, correcting the dry brushed areas takes some time. :dry.:

Your marines are just AMAZING !

You're slow, but you're very good !

Thanks.

I'm really slow and easy distracted. :tongue.:

L&T helps a bit to focus and get things done.

This long weekend helped also. Finished the Scyllax and found some time for tea.

gallery_86236_11651_96450.jpg

Next will be my HH Terminators.

I would like them to look like this one:

I wanted to use some bits for the wings, but unfortunately I cannot find any wing symbols that have the correct size. :cry:

If anybody has a good idea what to use, I would be happy to hear them.

For the shoulder pads? There's a guy on shapeways who's made those pads, pricy though.

Otherwise, you'll have to make them. I made mine out of card, and insta-molded them, and they didn't come out too terrible, but they're not great either.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. 

I found those shoulder pads on shapeways. They look great. :wub.:

Though I will your advice and try to make them of card. Got a rough idea how to do it. 

Let's see if it works out or if I get desperate.:wink:

Slow and purposeful... just slow... I managed to get the shoulders modeled.

gallery_86236_11651_52843.jpg

They don't look like those in HH Retribution book... my FW order just arrived a week to late :sweat:

Now I have the casting mold(s).

That's how it was done:

I created a model of card and green stuff.
Made a copy of the sword of regular shoulder pads.
Combined the sword with the wings and made a mold from this.
Created a milliput blueprint. Made final adjustments.
And created a casting mold.
This was filled with green stuff.
Than the final icon was glued to a shoulder pad.

gallery_86236_11651_53311.jpg