Lostrael's Dark Angels

Lostrael

Lost, I know you tried the Dark angels contrast before and didn’t like it, but I had a bit of a thought and wanted your opinion. Was the issue because it was coating over white and looking ‘wrong’ because of white showing through, and could that possibly be fixed by instead contrast painting over yellow? Or was the issue more a bad lack of overall coverage?

testing green... again

I tested the mix of contrast medium and airbrush paint already, now I painted the rest of that marine.

May be that is the way to fast paint my left-over tactical marines and future primaris( if they don't wear robes, I won't enjoy painting them :P)

gallery_86236_11073_231020.jpg

Contrast medium, airbrush paint and witchcraft.

Lost, I know you tried the Dark angels contrast before and didn’t like it, but I had a bit of a thought and wanted your opinion. Was the issue because it was coating over white and looking ‘wrong’ because of white showing through, and could that possibly be fixed by instead contrast painting over yellow? Or was the issue more a bad lack of overall coverage?

I had several tries. In the end I just dumped the primaris into alcohol without making any pictures.

What I wanted to achieve was some gradient on the armor:

First try: dark angel green contrast out of the pod over grey seer... to much white, to patchy :no:

Second try: more dark angel green contrast ... started pooling :wacko.:

Third try: 2 thin layer of contrast... now I had a base coat not a gradient :sleep:

Tried dry brushing yellow + contrast... the colors did not fit well :yucky:

Tried my usual base coat of heavy green with green yellow highlights, mixed the DA green contrast with medium and used it as I would use ink... these colors did not fit well either. :sad.:

At that point I gave up and decided to finish my vow with the usual green. 

Contrast medium and airbrush color(without airbrush :P ) worked well on the dreadnought... I wonder if it will work on a tank. 

I had several tries. In the end I just dumped the primaris into alcohol without making any pictures.

What I wanted to achieve was some gradient on the armor:

First try: dark angel green contrast out of the pod over grey seer... to much white, to patchy :no:

Second try: more dark angel green contrast ... started pooling :wacko.:

Third try: 2 thin layer of contrast... now I had a base coat not a gradient :sleep:

Tried dry brushing yellow + contrast... the colors did not fit well :yucky:

Tried my usual base coat of heavy green with green yellow highlights, mixed the DA green contrast with medium and used it as I would use ink... these colors did not fit well either. :sad.:

At that point I gave up and decided to finish my vow with the usual green.

Contrast medium and airbrush color(without airbrush :P ) worked well on the dreadnought... I wonder if it will work on a tank.

Aaah gotcha, thanks for the details on the experimentation! A shame it didn’t quite work out, but I might give this contrast/air mix a go!

Also, voted, totally think your classic captain is amazing! Gives me nostalgia for 2nd and 3rd Ed DA minis and Dexs :)

Lostrael the Contrast medium + Airbrush paint method is intriguing. What sort of ratio of paint to medium did you use?

somewhat like 2/3 medium and 1/3 air brush paint. It depends a bit on the thickness of your paint and how translucent you want it. 

I tried this one because I like the green. 

You have such a wonderful green that I am now itching to get an airbrush. 

I don't have an airbrush. I just use the colors. :whistling:

How did you avoid the coffee staining that seems to effect the regular contrast paint.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have a picture of such an effect?

JJD probably means the residues of the paint which hasn’t fully run smoothly into recesses and dries on the armour plates...

One of the issues I have noticed with contrast paint is when the contrast paint pools on the flat armour surfaces and leaves a mark. It is particularly a problem with space marines due to large flat surfaces. I’m wondering how you avoided it.

Edited by JJD

Something like that?

gallery_86236_11073_13130.jpg

Since I work with a green undercoat and the mix is quite thin, stains not as visible as if you would use it on white base color(left shoulder pad).

gallery_86236_11073_2123.jpg

... but the effect is still visible if you now where to look.

Smaller marines seem to be better suited for contrast that primaris, since they have smaller flat surfaces:huh.:

Edited by Lostrael

Hey Lost, well done on a really close second place in the Articifer competition.

Fantastic result and well deserved, it could have easily been even better for you but that's voting.

Awesome work and relish the Articifer badge of honour, you did the Lion proud.

:tu:

You get a cool Sig icon for it too.

• 1 month later...