Lostrael's Dark Angels

Lostrael

• 3 months later...

Following jbaeza94 Knights of the Order Project I started to do work on my own Kill Team of different successor chapters.

It's fun to work on different color schemes without having to do a whole squad.

That's my progress so far.

gallery_86236_11073_61924.jpg gallery_86236_11073_3209.jpg

Does anybody have some suggestions (link/picture) which Dark Angel successor chapter to copy next.

Wait a minute loss... is that an iron lion???

I think berzuls wings of dawn would be a good next step!

Uhm yes, I tried. Though I was not sure which scheme to take. You have quite some to choose from. 

Wings of dawn, green and bone... sounds good. :happy.:

My Brother is always looking forward for new recruits! :biggrin.:

Also, as I have decided to pick up the painting side of the hobby once again after many, many, MANY years of inactivity, I do believe that your Knights of the Order Project would be a GREAT place to start, as well.

I'll be writing to you, Brother, for insight into the colors of the Legion of the Iron Lions, once my paints get here (which is taking a LOT longer than I hoped... they still haven't even been cleared from the distributor for shipping).

Uhm yes, I tried. Though I was not sure which scheme to take. You have quite some to choose from. 

Wings of dawn, green and bone... sounds good. :happy.:

... wait, you serious?

You want to paint a battle brother from my successor chapter... Because, that would be a HUGE and very touching honor! :smile.:

If indeed you decide to do so, you have my thanks for dedicating your skills to this army.

And, in the spirit of collaborating to that effort, I can mention the following, just in case you want to make one as accurate to the chapter as possible per the chapter lore:

1) The Wings of Dawn indeed are green and... well, not quite bone. It tries to more like an ivory? But, yeah.

2) They follow the Codex Astartes in color scheme and organization. Which means they use White for 1st Co., Gold for 2nd Co., and so on. This, applied to the edges of the pauldrons, and to the crest or aquila in the chest.

3) The 1st, 2nd and 3rd company are Firstborn, while the 4th and 5th companies are the first Primaris companies in the chapter's history.

EDIT: 4) Sergeants are marked by the "bone" color applied to their right knee, and because their helmets are not green with a stripe, bur rather full "bone". And, veterans? they are marked by the robes. So, for instance, a regular veteran would have robes but a green helmet, and a veteran sergeant would have robes, and the bone helmet and bone right knee.

Edited by Berzul

You want to paint a battle brother from my successor chapter... Because, that would be a HUGE and very touching honor! :smile.:

If indeed you decide to do so, you have my thanks for dedicating your skills to this army.

And, in the spirit of collaborating to that effort, I can mention the following, just in case you want to make one as accurate to the chapter as possible per the chapter lore:

1) The Wings of Dawn indeed are green and... well, not quite bone. It tries to more like an ivory? But, yeah.

2) They follow the Codex Astartes in color scheme and organization. Which means they use White for 1st Co., Gold for 2nd Co., and so on. This, applied to the edges of the pauldrons, and to the crest or aquila in the chest.

3) The 1st, 2nd and 3rd company are Firstborn, while the 4th and 5th companies are the first Primaris companies in the chapter's history.

EDIT: 4) Sergeants are marked by the "bone" color applied to their right knee, and because their helmets are not green with a stripe, bur rather full "bone". And, veterans? they are marked by the robes. So, for instance, a regular veteran would have robes but a green helmet, and a veteran sergeant would have robes, and the bone helmet and bone right knee.

I have quite a selection of white-ish paints and I will look at your thread for some inspiration. Still I hope you forgive me if I don't hit the exact color.

So who would your chapter send? 

A first born, a first born veteran or a primaris? 

For a moment I thought I was looking at one of my own models, the scheme of your Consecrator is spot on :biggrin.:

Have you counted them lately? :ph34r.:

You honor me! They look good! And that badge

Painting cogs is hell, you know that? :tongue.:

I have quite a selection of white-ish paints and I will look at your thread for some inspiration. Still I hope you forgive me if I don't hit the exact color.

So who would your chapter send? 

A first born, a first born veteran or a primaris?

Oh, that is a very good question.

The Primaris are fairly young and new in the lore of my chapter. Having begun their introduction only recently and after a very careful decision on the part of the Chapter's own Inner Circle, and its Grand Master. Mainly as replacement for the 4th and 5th companies, which have become missing in action.

I was putting off collecting primaris for quite a while, and it just so happens that my firstborn are done at the same time indomitus has come out, so NOW I think is the best time to jump into them in full... Specially since they FINALLY look as "Dark Angels" as I always wished they would look.

So, for something as critical in importance as the call to join the Knights of the Order? I do believe they would send one of the Firstborn. Either a veteran from the 1st Company, or a brother from the 2nd or 3rd Companies, to join in. Someone battle-hardened and trustworthy beyond meassure. No Primaris would fit the bill, yet, as one of them would still need to put in their time in the battlefronts of the Chapter proper, before becoming worthy of being sent over as tithe to the Order, and the Hunt.

So, maybe a 2nd co. or 3rd co. battle brother? Or perhaps a 1st co. veteran?

... Or which ever model you like, Lostrael. I would be absolutely thrilled just knowing there is a member of the Wings of Dawn in your collection. I would not mind which model it would be :smile.: Same goes for the color, as I'm sure whatever you decide to go with, it will look beautiful. You can find good references in my thread, or in the Liber Astartes, where I keep more images of the Chapter, and you can ask me anything you like.

Edited by Berzul

• 4 weeks later...

@ Berzul: Any suggestions what should change?

The head is not glued yet, so I can still change for a helmet.

gallery_86236_11073_7550.jpg

I left the right shoulder pad empty, for the day when I come up with a design for the squad marking for the knights.

gallery_86236_11073_121541.jpggallery_86236_11073_119515.jpg

Ok, now that the shock at this sight is wearing off a bit, and I can regain my composure, let me list down my thoughts:

1) The model looks amazing, there is nothing I can say about that. Then again, I am have been a fan of your work for a while, and it should be no surprise that I love how the model turned out.

2) That being said, there is one thing I can comment that has to do, not with quality, but rather of bit choice, and it is indeed the head. The marines of the Wings of Dawn don't go around without helmets, except for very specific and in-lore reasons. Him not having a helmet on is actually... well, not a mark of rank? but certainly of status. I won't go over the lore here unless asked, as It is your paint log and so, it would not be proper.

3) The green stripe on the shoulder pad, funnily enough, is something I have in fact used it before, on veterans (such as the chapter's equivalent to the Black Knights, and Company Veterans, as well as other HQ models). So, by having the stripe, that means that this guy, despite being in the second company, and clearly a sergeant of either a Tactical or an Assault Squad, has managed to get high up in rank to be promoted to the 1st Company, and either couldn't or wouldn't leave his battle company.

Now, these are all comments on what the paint job on the model would mean lore-wise within the chapter, and by NO means would that mean that you need to change the paint or the bits in any way. I could go in greater length on the lore significance of the model you have made here, but that is not a comment on the fact that the model would need to be changed in any way.

On the contrary, I think it is quite fitting for the chapter to have sent a guy with these two distinct features on him (no helmet and green stripe) to join the Knights. He would be a very special battle brother, indeed.

Edited by Berzul

Thank all. I did not expect to login and find a pile of bodies :tongue.:

Ok, now that the shock at this sight is wearing off a bit, and I can regain my composure, let me list down my thoughts:

1) The model looks amazing, there is nothing I can say about that. Then again, I am have been a fan of your work for a while, and it should be no surprise that I love how the model turned out.

2) That being said, there is one thing I can comment that has to do, not with quality, but rather of bit choice, and it is indeed the head. The marines of the Wings of Dawn don't go around without helmets, except for very specific and in-lore reasons. Him not having a helmet on is actually... well, not a mark of rank? but certainly of status. I won't go over the lore here unless asked, as It is your paint log and so, it would not be proper.

3) The green stripe on the shoulder pad, funnily enough, is something I have in fact used it before, on veterans (such as the chapter's equivalent to the Black Knights, and Company Veterans, as well as other HQ models). So, by having the stripe, that means that this guy, despite being in the second company, and clearly a sergeant of either a Tactical or an Assault Squad, has managed to get high up in rank to be promoted to the 1st Company, and either couldn't or wouldn't leave his battle company.

Now, these are all comments on what the paint job on the model would mean lore-wise within the chapter, and by NO means would that mean that you need to change the paint or the bits in any way. I could go in greater length on the lore significance of the model you have made here, but that is not a comment on the fact that the model would need to be changed in any way.

On the contrary, I think it is quite fitting for the chapter to have sent a guy with these two distinct features on him (no helmet and green stripe) to join the Knights. He would be a very special battle brother, indeed.

I'm happy you like it. 
I did not know the green in the background of the batch had a special meaning. I just thought it would be better to give the white sword more contrast.

And now I am intrigued, so I must ask: What does it mean if a battle brother goes into battle without a helmet in your chapter?

I have always seen helmets as something you wear at the start of a battle but abandon it when it is too much damaged. 
Well, except space wolves... where wearing a helmet would ruin their hairstyle.

G8Keeper ah thanks,  now I have this song stuck in my head. 

Edited by Lostrael