Lostrael's Dark Angels

Lostrael

Let me just... step around the whole... pile of fainted people, here... There we go!

Ok, so, if you want me to explain, I will:

The green stripe indeed DOES look good (and the application here is great!). It does allow for the blade in the iconography to stand out more, but I never tried it as a general part of the scheme, because it was hard to make. My skills are... well, let's just say, making that stripe and manage to make it look GOOD was not easy for me. Some models did have the pads shaped to add such a stripe (the Black Knights in particular, which have pads that come in three vertical sections), so I incorporated the use of it into the lore of the chapter as a mark of honor for some who reach veteran status. Not all of them have it, but some do. Just a little mark of honor for some of them to have, to distinguish them from other models here and there. So, in a way, it was a lore-explanation for a personal issue I had when painting.

The stripe WAS incorporated into the army in some of its iconography, like in the 2nd company banner, which has the same use of color. Ivory background, green stripe, white blade with red wings on top.

As for the helmets, well, it started similarly. From an off-universe choice that led to an in-universe explanation. This, from the fact that I like my marines to wear helmets.

Going into battle with the head exposed always felt awesome in theory (it makes the model look cooler and more dynamic), but wrong in-universe, as it is exposing yourself to danger unnecessarily. Now, rule of cool and bit selection forces us to sometimes use non helmeted heads (such as with the Deathwing Knights, for instance, whose hooded heads are mostly without helmets; same for some heads of the company veterans kit). So, I went into the lore of my chapter and decided to include a rite that explained the lack of helmets.

To sum up:

The Wings of Dawn wear special lenses and systems on their helmets,  meant to perceive, analyze and filter various spectrums of light and radiation.

They are a chapter made as a refounding from a previous chapter (the Lightkeepers) that was almost wiped out by a light-based xenoform titan, and their "Hunt" is after any evidence of this entity somehow returning. In the depths of the Fortress Monastery, there are the halls in which the old chapter made its last stand against this entity. The walls are branded with the shadows of many battle brothers, who were disintegrated by the searing light of the titan; the ashen outline of their shapes infused into the rock and steel of the rooms.

A battle brother in the current chapter might, at some time in his life, begin to feel a calling from the depths of the Fortress Monastery. As if the remnants of the dead Lightkeepers were summoning him. A battle brother that decides to go there, and is approved by the chapter command to do so, begins a trial which will take him into the dark rooms at the bottom of the fortress, near the Chapter Homeworld's core. There, the battle brother must look upon the remains of the Lightkeepers with his naked eyes. This then can (but not always does) trigger visions and hallucinations in the brother's mind, and it forever warps their eyesight. Forever after they will see images of battles past, alternative presents, and events to come, overlapped with reality. Some die from the experience, while others survive but stab their own eyes out to get rid of the images. Some endure and keep their bodies intact, and emerge from the halls of the Lightkeepers "changed". They become revered by their battle brothers, as although they do not stand above the rest in rank, they are changed in a deep way forever, and become feared and revered by the chapter at the same time.

Various attempts have been made by the chapters armorers to fit new helmets on these few anointed ones, but nothing so far can filter out the hallucinations or prevent the visions, and in fact, these battle brothers quickly become mostly unable to keep their faces covered at all. So, they renounce their helmets, and go into battle with their heads uncovered. Since the chapter is actually a bit "suicidal" in their approach to war (which has a whole in lore reason as well), this fits them fine, and they will go on regardless of the danger it poses to fight with their heads bear.

This is even a far cooler background story than I imagined. 

Aso a suicidal approach to war fits my gaming style.  :sweat:  

Now I need a good idea for a squad symbol... something cool but still easy to paint on a shoulder pad. Something fitting to the secret nature of the knights and their mission. 

• 1 month later...

gallery_86236_11073_112758.jpg

I went with the hexagramaton + a sword. Just in different colors depending on the chapter.

gallery_86236_11073_275120.jpg

gallery_86236_11073_31026.jpggallery_86236_11073_33758.jpggallery_86236_11073_5735.jpg

Don't worry Berzul, I have not forgotten your request. I just need some better lighting on my gaming table.

gallery_86236_11073_84090.jpg

gallery_86236_11073_62231.jpg

gallery_86236_11073_50719.jpg

gallery_86236_11073_106790.jpg

gallery_86236_11073_2127.jpg

Ok, I cleared my desk. Now I have some space to start with a primarch.

• 1 year later...

As suggested by Chaplain Grey Raven I bring my WIP thread to the front. 

with some knights...

I wish I could use these guys in 40k :ermm:

gallery_86236_11651_85593.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_36419.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_225224.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_74083.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_153676.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_120660.jpg

Edited by Lostrael
repair images

Thanks guys. :happy.:

Why shouldn't you just use them as Deathwing Knights?

They look outstanding!

Perhaps, but I like to play WYSIWYG

I'm missing the option to equip the relic terminators with terranic greatswords(or even power swords) and plasma-caster :tongue.:

• 3 weeks later...

As suggested by Chaplain Grey Raven I bring my WIP thread to the front.

with some knights...

I wish I could use these guys in 40k :ermm:

gallery_86236_11651_85593.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_36419.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_225224.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_74083.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_153676.jpg

gallery_86236_11651_120660.jpg

What do you mean? All I see is Deathwing Knights Sergents.....lalallalalalala :biggrin.:

This thread is awesome btw. Paint skills over 9000!

Edited by Brother Immolator

• 3 weeks later...