Shattered Legions - The Way Forward

Frostmourne

So, it looks like we have the Rules for the Shattered Legions from the Weekender Thread, thanks to all those who helped by the way :)

But thought I would start a thread to discuss

A) how we can use this to make amazing fluffy armies

B) how we can avoid any silly power gaming.

So I have had a few ideas for armies I would love to make up and now wondering if best to use shattered legions or use as allies. And how they would play. Most based on my new Iron Hands.

First would be Iron Hands led by an Iron Father, tank heavy force with dreads, supported by Pollux and some Phalanx Warders. Set around Imperium Secundus time.

Second, would be Iron Hands and Emperors Children led by Gabierl Santar and Lord Commander Vespasian during their years of working together

Third is simply Sallies and Iron hands, standard Shattered Legions, few vessels doing strike missions on traitor supply lines.

How do people think they will work? Are any best left to allies matrix?

And how to you guys plan on running any?

It has made me want to rekindle one of my first project ideas for the joint forces of the Iron Warriors and Emperor's Children from Angel Exterminatus. Mostly because of the Iron Circle and I have a soft spot for the IVth  and IIIrd  Legions. 

The Emperor's Children get to be the rabble and the Iron Warriors the siege line that just won't quit.

Personally for me it will be a mix up of Iron Warriors and Night Lords due to owning armies for both already.

If I decide to take this list seriously and build a new force It would probably be a combination of beaten up Salamanders and Iron hands.

My plan is for a weatherbeaten force of Scars, Fists and Blood Angels standing defiant upon the Wall at the Siege. Overall command will be delegated to Shield-Commandant Heinrich Eilings of the Imperial Fists 284th Storm Battalion, backed up by Moritat Zhel Varost of the Blood Angels and (possibly) a White Scars Stormseer.

My plan is for a weatherbeaten force of Scars, Fists and Blood Angels standing defiant upon the Wall at the Siege. Overall command will be delegated to Shield-Commandant Heinrich Eilings of the Imperial Fists 284th Storm Battalion, backed up by Moritat Zhel Varost of the Blood Angels and (possibly) a White Scars Stormseer.

YAAAASSS.

YAAAASSS.
It's funny you should like it so much, since one of my main inspirations was this guy of yours :

http://rs421.pbsrc.com/albums/pp299/spencertrimm/616wip1.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Ive been working on a Shattered Legions army for a bit, but I'm very happy with the rules (I'll be even happier once Inferno drops!). I've so far got White Scars and Thousand Sons, trying to think of a third. Really tempted by Blood Angels and rounding out the founders of the Librarius :)

Perhaps a nice Khârn and Argel Tal style WE/WB brofest?

Yeah that one sounds awesome. I'd be happy to leave out Argel Tal myself, but the units themselves together sound absolutely glorious. Speaking of Argel Tal, does he have rules? If so, in which book?

Perhaps a nice Khârn and Argel Tal style WE/WB brofest?

Yeah that one sounds awesome. I'd be happy to leave out Argel Tal myself, but the units themselves together sound absolutely glorious. Speaking of Argel Tal, does he have rules? If so, in which book?

Argel Tal doesn't yet have rules. They were supposed to be in the next Shadow Crusade book, but who knows when that'll happen.

So do we think that the whole 'loyalist and traitor' thing doesn't matter so much and we can base it in fluff?

So can you take loyalist Iron Hands and Loyalist Emperors Children as a shattered legion? Or because EC are traitor they can't be used with Iron Hands?

So do we think that the whole 'loyalist and traitor' thing doesn't matter so much and we can base it in fluff?

So can you take loyalist Iron Hands and Loyalist Emperors Children as a shattered legion? Or because EC are traitor they can't be used with Iron Hands?

You can take them together. Loyalist and traitor generally only applies to certain special characters. It exists entirely separately from the standard allies rules.

Well.

This changes things. Best to sleep on it really.

The idea someone had above of IW and EC from Angel Exterminatus sounds incredible fun to hobby.

But something with Wolves could be amazing. Wolves and Dark Angels! *waits two years*

I actually just noticed that nowhere does it  say that a Shattered Legion can't take Allies themselves.  While I assume this can't be another Shattered Legion, this opens up the ability to represent 4 Legions in one list (5 if you throw Alpha Legion in there somehow)

#1) Three Shades of Red:  Word Bearer warlord leading World Eaters along with Khorne Daemon Allies

#2) The Start of the Black Legion:  Taking a cue from the Talon of Horus book: Thousand Sons, World Eaters, Emperor's Children with Sons of Horus Allies   

I actually just noticed that nowhere does it say that a Shattered Legion can't take Allies themselves. While I assume this can't be another Shattered Legion, this opens up the ability to represent 4 Legions in one list (5 if you throw Alpha Legion in there somehow)

#1) Three Shades of Red: Word Bearer warlord leading World Eaters along with Khorne Daemon Allies

#2) The Start of the Black Legion: Taking a cue from the Talon of Horus book: Thousand Sons, World Eaters, Emperor's Children with Sons of Horus Allies

Can you take them as allies? Because if so, the inverse of #2 would feel better, imho.

I actually just noticed that nowhere does it say that a Shattered Legion can't take Allies themselves. While I assume this can't be another Shattered Legion, this opens up the ability to represent 4 Legions in one list (5 if you throw Alpha Legion in there somehow)

#1) Three Shades of Red: Word Bearer warlord leading World Eaters along with Khorne Daemon Allies

#2) The Start of the Black Legion: Taking a cue from the Talon of Horus book: Thousand Sons, World Eaters, Emperor's Children with Sons of Horus Allies

Can you take them as allies? Because if so, the inverse of #2 would feel better, imho.

I am not sure but I would agree.

You probably can take them as allies but given you can only include units from a legion of you have a HQ from that legion..... Well. Kinda doesn't work.

You probably can take them as allies but given you can only include units from a legion of you have a HQ from that legion..... Well. Kinda doesn't work.
Right. So that would be a no.

Iron Hands with Narik Dreygur and chums looks like a fun Shattered Legions twist - saw fluff for him in Book 6 stating he changed sides after the Alpha Legion tried to assassinate him!

Id full on go traitor Iron Hands with someone like Iron Warriors or Word Bearers who will act as overseers/ minder to ensure their new allegiance remains true plus the possibility of fielding iron tyrants or gal vorbak alongside my iron hands is too much of a cool idea to pass up

Hmm. So many combinations! I guess it's a game of picking your favourite two legions units and making them work?

For example Gorgon And Pheonix Terminators.

Suzerains and Templar Brethren.

Firedrakes and Terror Squads

Archived