Alternate Onager Dunecrawler

Montuhotep

Afternoon All,

Was just wondering if anyone can think of a good alternative model to use to represent a Dunecrawler? I love the rules and think the actual model is brilliant; snag is that it doesn't fit the whole 'Household Troops' theme of my accompanying Knights.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'm working on a rather large kitbash at the moment.  I gave it some thought, and it ended up being the legs that were really bothering me about the original model.  So... I found other legs.  As always, I'll post pictures when I'm finished.

I actually really like the onagers leg design. I do wish it had more legs, though. I think with their size compared to the cabin, six would be really nice. Then you could make them a little more dynamic, too, like having one midstep, or even raised up to strike. I have only tried kit bashing once and it was a disaster, but I might give that a shot at some point.

I think my problem with that they're small and monopose.  I understand the design choice - it's actually quite cool that it puts the "torso" on something akin to a legged castor, so it can rotate 90 degrees and walk "forward" without having to turn the entire body.  However, the actual model just doesn't jive with me.  I can't shake the feeling that this is a chibi caricature of what it was supposed to be.  I settled on something a bit heavier and more utilitarian.

I can see what you mean. I think that's why I want more legs for it. It'd be more stable and look sturdier. Also I'm right there with you on the mono-pose issue. How far from posting pics do you think you are?

• 2 weeks later...

I got a bit sidetracked with a few other projects, but here is the roughest of WIP pictures of my Onager Dunecrawler conversion.

http://i.imgur.com/53CVcWjl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/L5DpBnTl.jpg

The upper body is a standard Dunecrawler, with a sensor pod from the old Spearhead Command Vehicle sprue.  The lower body is from an Axis Armored Transport from Dust Tactics, with some additional bits tacked on.  This is the first time I had all of the parts together, so there were some additional alterations needed after these were taken.

Commodus, that is already a huge improvement. I know what you mean about the Onager. I think it's a nice model despite me being a bit unsure when I saw the first pictures, but I do still wish the legs were longer and a little bit easier to pose. Your conversion makes it easier to believe that it can handle rough and hazardous terrain. I'm also pleased you noticed that the chaos command sprue widget fits the hatch so nicely. I was test-fitting that on my Onager too. :)

If you want to try this yourself, a 16 mm acrylic teddy bear eye is the perfect fit for the Onager's waist joint.  It also fits the Armored Transport's waist perfectly, after sanding down some detail.

The command vehicle sensor pod sticks up a little taller than I'd like, but I also have a version with the Defiler's pod that looks quite a bit better.  If anything, it's additional character to differentiate the different walkers in the squadron.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived