How does Swift Action actually work?

Ironwithout

• 4 months later...

A few more months have gone by; have we settled on an answer to the phases this rule applies to?

I get the distance thing.  They want you to move your maximum distance in a straight line and not in a circle that puts you back where you started.  No problem there.

But I am surprised it doesn't apply if you moved 6"/12" in the Assault phase, assuming you didn't already during the Movement phase.  After all, it later says, "in the Movement phase and/or Assault phase it gains the following benefits until...".  It's the "and/or" that makes me think the intent was that the rule could trigger during the Assault phase if you made a 6"/12"+ charge.  (That's more of a comment than a question - triggering the rule in the Assault phase is clearly not there right now.)

"Until the beginning of its controlling player's next turn" really makes it sound like it lasts through every phase from when it's triggered (your Movement phase) through your opponent's turn.  Or was the cover benefit only supposed to apply to incoming overwatch fire, and the To Wound benefit to the close combat for which you had to take that overwatch fire?  

And are there currently any units with the Vehicle type that it could possibly apply to?

A few more months have gone by; have we settled on an answer to the phases this rule applies to?

I get the distance thing. They want you to move your maximum distance in a straight line and not in a circle that puts you back where you started. No problem there.

But I am surprised it doesn't apply if you moved 6"/12" in the Assault phase, assuming you didn't already during the Movement phase. After all, it later says, "in the Movement phase and/or Assault phase it gains the following benefits until...". It's the "and/or" that makes me think the intent was that the rule could trigger during the Assault phase

I guess you are right on that.

If you charge 6+ inches you get the bonus.