Sentinels

I camo mine (or at least I will once I decide to paint them), but my vehicle paint scheme consists is just a basecoat, wash, drybrush, then quickly painting lines in brown for the camo, washing said lines, and a final drybrush. Whether or not you decide to apply camo really just depends on how fast the paint scheme is and how patient you are. Mine's fast and I'm not particularly patient, so it works out just fine. tongue.png

Agree with WarriorFish, a two-tones camo scheme is quite easy to paint and rather comely. However a guy at my local GW painted on its own a rather complex urban camo scheme, with shades from blue to grey, with black touches, made of tiny little colour square. Quite impressive look. Mines got a two-tones, but needs a bit more weathering (Riza rust and Nuln oil as soon as I come back in a country where GW exists !) : that kind of camo's fine, even if usually overwhelmed with details. Here it is, if you need an (beginner) example. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/313922-xiv-kataris-wip-fluff-and-stuff/page-2?do=findComment&comment=4267470

It also depends if you wanna link your sentinel to infantry or armor, then the painting should, I suppose, fit the main scheme of your inf or your vehicle. For that Sentinel I painted, as marching along the troopers, it got a brown-grey camo, but the two others I plan to buy before the year ends will go all grey, which gonna be the main tone of my LRs, self-propelled arty, etc. That's totally up to you, just find a scheme you enjoy ;)

camo for me...base color, then two sets of splotches...one splotch type is a lighter shade of the base color, the other is a two-tone splotch that contrasts, and has a little dark spot in the lighter of the two contrasting tones...looks more complicated than it is, and it's simple enough to apply on any surface that'll accept two-tone camo.

med_gallery_13203_9402_269222.jpg

I went full bore, and painted mine in a WWI style dazzle camo. Personally I like to tie all my armour in the same theme. End of the day it's your army, run with what you like. Happy painting

I was checking out your gallery baz, that camo style looks awesome.  Hadn't seen much 40k stuff painted w that pattern before.

I went full bore, and painted mine in a WWI style dazzle camo. Personally I like to tie all my armour in the same theme. End of the day it's your army, run with what you like. Happy painting

I was checking out your gallery baz, that camo style looks awesome.  Hadn't seen much 40k stuff painted w that pattern before.

Cheers glad you like it! I wanted something unique for my armour, granted the camo is about a useful as a sniper rifle on an ogryn, but the idea in my head looks good. Shame it takes an age to paint tho.

Looks amazing...more appropriate for battlefield gothic, I agree, but totally badassed.

Actually, this one:

gallery_72518_9307_185987.jpg

Is enough to make a man cry...and not so useless in an urban setting. Out in the wilderness, it would stick out like a sore thumb, there are no straight lines, regular shapes, and such in nature...but man damned well builds things out of polygons...so this would virtually disappear in a urban ruins!

I did mine 2 tone (not urban cam I know..) but this was to make it blend in with the rest of my vehicles and figures for the sake of consistency.

gallery_62353_10396_145711.jpg

At the end do whatever you feel happy with as they are your little plastic soldiers ;)

I don't have pictures, but I ended up making a template out of a few layers of painting tape (the blue kind) and a layer of cardboard from a box. I used a screw bolt for the hex shape and then moved it around on the tape to make a shape that I could place at certain spots on the model.

My vehicles are now getting a base coat of Mechanicum Standard Grey, and then I break out Karak Stone for the second color. It's random enough that they all look a little different, with the little imperfections that real combat vehicles actually have.

Archived