[HH1.0] Black Shields Tactica

exsanguis

The marauder squads need 6 models to take special/heavy weapons because the chief doesn't count as per the unit entry right?

Yeah, it's the same thing as Seeker vs Strike Leader when deciding who can take a combi weapon. You need 5 marauders specifically first. If it were per 5 'models' instead of per 5 'marauders' it would include the Chief as part of the 5.

I was looking at it and thinking about taking large maurauder squads with apothecaries as the basis for my army.  I then want to support them with dreads and other related vehicles(got my leviathan, deredeo, etc) so I plan on having the techmarine consul type as my one consul. This also gives me access to some mechanicus robots which would be extra awesome. I dont want to just be Iron Hands light however, more like the leader of my warband had his troops "Modified"

So I am torn on choosing between the chymeria and the Outlanders for the army rules. On one hand it would be fun to have teleporting rad marines. I also like to think of the outlander thing as them "phasing out" like the old necron special rule so they both work for my army theme.  On the other hand durability while being slightly slow would also work,

One of the biggest hurdles I am running into is how I should equip my mauraders squads since I want to get to building.  Chain axes are a no brainer but when it comes to things like bolters is it worth the points or just not bother? Should I go 15 or 20? Transports? Etc. Having two attacks base makes the pariah bolter very appealing since they will be getting three attacks each even when they shoot so its like getting two extra str 4 ap 5 attacks for two points every turn.

I am also considering small recon squads with pariah bolters as a solid scoring back up/ light supporting fire. Give them recon armor for the infiltrate and just stick them in cover out of LOS

I've had great results running two ten man squads of Marauders in dreadclaws with chain axes, shotguns, a power axe, a thunder hammer on the chief and an apothecary. With S6 and T5 they're a pretty scary unit that will usually get the charge due to the dreadclaw, but beware AP 3 or lower at initiative, as it will hit before to you with your I3. Also you must keep them at ten to fit in the claw...

On the other hand Outlanders give the advantage of not having to pay as many transports because of DS, but it is quite risky and, at least in my experience, do not synergize too well with the rad grenades.

About the Consul, if going the Chymeriae Gene-Bulked route, and if you want to get robots anyways, I would consider the Praevian instead, T8 Castellax are quite good.

Anyone though about black shield breachers ??? I want to assemble a squad more for rule of cool especially since I am getting some awesome customised breacher shields through ML shields for my chaos style Chymeriea force. Would a squad of them actually be any good especially with the Chymeriea buffs Edited by teutonicavenger

I have thought on them, as a roman style army.

Forgelord on bike, with rad, plus a bike squad

3x10 breachers

quad mortars

levy deathblossom and 2 cortus with kheres

IIRC

I think I posted the list back on this thread. Not sure about effectiveness but cool as theme.

Cheers.

EDIT:

Found it. My mistake, they weren't breachers but marauders. I'm sure I've written the breacher list somewhere.

++Thunder Warriors++

+Reaver Lord: Thunder hammer, bike, rad-g, halo, cyber-senpai, AA, digi-las, MB - 235

+Apothecarion detach: 2x apoth, 2x augury scanner, pariah armour - 100
+Apothecarion detach: 1x, bike, 1x augury scanner - 70

+Marauder squad: 15 marauders, pariah bolters, pariah armour, chainaxes, 2x meltagun, PF - 320
+Marauder squad: 15 marauders, pariah bolters, pariah armour, chainaxes, 2x meltagun, PF - 320
+Marauder squad: 10 marauders, 2x meltagun, pariah armour, chainaxes, dreadclaw - 330

+Outrider squad: 9 outriders, Sgt, MB, 3x power axes - 320

+Leviathan dread: cyclonic melta lance, CCW, phosphex - 305

2000 pts

Edited by Maximvs

Is it just me or are Marauders way to expansive?

125 points for 5 Veterans without their special rule is rubbish in my eyes unless you take Chymeriae, don't they?

They're a troops choice and all of the WBW are quite powerful. Plus they're quite flexible in their loudout and can be up to 20 man.

125 points for 5 Veterans without their special rule is rubbish in my eyes unless you take Chymeriae, don't they?

They're a troops choice and all of the WBW are quite powerful. Plus they're quite flexible in their loudout and can be up to 20 man.

All of them?

Really?

+1 on WS and BS for -2 on Leadership is powerful? ;)

And I have to pay 125 points for 5 Marines to get those options, which cost points of their own?

I don't want to argue just how do you guys play them? For me they seem very underhelming.

I mean, its powerful when used in certain ways, everything is.

The Ld can be compensated for mostly (vexilla, heralds etc) so it's not as crippling.

Sure it's not as obviously powerful as S/T5 but it ain't bad.

Sure thing.

If your army tend to be at the shooting end or if you take a Chaplain with Jump Pack in a unit of Assault Marines anyway +1 on WS and BS is a great thing, but that was not what I was talking about.

Maybe I should flesh things out to make it clear.

I'm toying around with the idea of playing a Blackshields army since the 6th book hit my shelf, but wasn't 100% sold on that idea.

Then I saw those beautiful pump action shotguns at Anvil Industry and was in love. Maybe to early I instandly bought 24 guns and after that I thought about ways how to field the only unit who can take them:

Blackshield Marauders.

That's why I'm asking.

How to field them?

I guess a unit of ten should be a good size, all with shotguns (obviously) and Chainaxes. Wonderful brutal loadout.

But that's about it I have to offer.

Any Input from you guys is very much appreciated. :)

PS: Racoons!

Racoons may take 'em as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Is it frowned upon to proxy?  I was thinking that I could take a shattered legion as primary detachment with an allied detachment of black guard to keep the theme of disparate loyalist elements.  However under shattered legions it says no black shields may be included in the army. Does that include allied detachments as well or just in the main force? 

Is this sort of thing frowned upon typically?

Same with making an army of mechanicum out of dreadnaughts. I want to run a lot of dreadnaught models but cant seem to find a list that lets me run both blackshields and tons of dreads together.

I know social etiquette is a huge deal in horus heresy so any insights would be appreciated!

Edited by leth

I know what you're getting at, but vets under costed and probably the best troops choice in the game. It's unfair because nothing can really compete with them!

What do you mean by "tons of dreadnoughts"?

I just like dreadnaughts, I have like 5 contemptor chassis, a leviathan, a deredeo, and a bunch of regular dread chassis.

I just like having them in the list. I suppose I could just run them as normal since I will probably run out of points before slots....

What do you mean by "tons of dreadnoughts"?

I just like dreadnaughts, I have like 5 contemptor chassis, a leviathan, a deredeo, and a bunch of regular dread chassis.

I just like having them in the list. I suppose I could just run them as normal since I will probably run out of points before slots....

I guess so as well. ;)

@Bulbafist: Yeah, it's a pitty for real.

I had time to think a while about my little Blackshields project now and I am still sure that it'll be great fun.

For a start it'll be just a small army for Zone Mortalis games. That makes it a lot easier to build and paint a full army I can play with.

I even got my HQ already:

Endryd Haar.

Besides being a very cool dude who looks like Leonidas or Russle Crowe he brings some interesting special rules into my little gang.

Being able to scout three units helps a lot and fits quiet nicely to my obsession about shotguns.

I still think that a Marauder squad of 8 to 10 models is the right size for them. Thus they are not horrible expansive and still dangerous.

After all I need two of them to fulfill the compulsory Troop choices.

After that it has to be a Tactical Support Squad with Pariah Flamethrowers. They're to good to not bring them. Nur After that I am pretty open on what to bring.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the whole "1 in 5 marauder get special weapons" statement an error? Because the way its worded you need 10 marauder + marauder chieftain to unlock the second special or heavy weapon. Still think they are slightly overpriced points wise, if the base squad was 100 points it would be much more viable. I've looked at building a blackshield list around assault marines in the past, but financially it did not make much sense and the idea was abandoned. With the BOP box and 3rd party bits the idea is more viable.

Edited by Laughingman

For the purposes of deployment and/or list building, a Dreadnought talon of 1-3 dreads is a single unit. Once they're deployed on the table, they then become independant units and thus each individually give up a KP.

Edited by Slipstreams

What are you guys taking as your centurrion character?

Since I want to play chymerae I was thinking that I should take the World Eater for scout, however I am also undecided on if I should transport my 20 man blobs in vehicles.  On one hand it will help them get there.  On the other I could almost buy another blob for the points. 

Current set up is this

20x maurauder

all axes

3x pariah flamer

Thunder hammer

Apoth

I was considering adding in two heavy chainswords because with str 5 that gets them to str 7 which can glance AV 13.  With the grenade Nerf it is a viable option. 

What do you think of that squad? If I decide to transport I can drop 4 regular guys for space in a 20 man transport.  (My dream however is to have both in one mastadon for coolness)

I'm just starting to build a Blackshields list and small force to ally with my Alpha Legion.

I'm thinking a conversion beamer armed cataphracti Forge Lord for my HQ, with a team of Servo-Automota with Rad missile launchers, a cyber-familiar for 3++, and a cortex-controller and Castellax bodyguard. A whole gang of scavenged monstrosities, all loaded to blast.

Mainly because it seems cool rather than particularly strong, but the Forge Lord does open up some interesting options.

Since I want to play chymerae I was thinking that I should take the World Eater for scout, however I am also undecided on if I should transport my 20 man blobs in vehicles. On one hand it will help them get there. On the other I could almost buy another blob for the points.

Current set up is this

20x maurauder

all axes

3x pariah flamer

Thunder hammer

Apoth

I was considering adding in two heavy chainswords because with str 5 that gets them to str 7 which can glance AV 13. With the grenade Nerf it is a viable option.

What do you think of that squad? If I decide to transport I can drop 4 regular guys for space in a 20 man transport. (My dream however is to have both in one mastadon for coolness)

I say 405 points is way WAY too much for 20 marines.

Since I want to play chymerae I was thinking that I should take the World Eater for scout, however I am also undecided on if I should transport my 20 man blobs in vehicles. On one hand it will help them get there. On the other I could almost buy another blob for the points.

Current set up is this

20x maurauder

all axes

3x pariah flamer

Thunder hammer

Apoth

I was considering adding in two heavy chainswords because with str 5 that gets them to str 7 which can glance AV 13. With the grenade Nerf it is a viable option.

What do you think of that squad? If I decide to transport I can drop 4 regular guys for space in a 20 man transport. (My dream however is to have both in one mastadon for coolness)

I say 405 points is way WAY too much for 20 marines.

Even 20 T5 marines with FNP?

I mean for 20 its going to be 305 minimum.  We have a pretty high front loaded cost on maurauders and so I am not sure how to run the unit differently. Can drop the flamers to free up 30 points but other than that there is not really much. 

Edited by leth