[HH1.0] Black Shields Tactica

exsanguis

I haven't played AoD since 40k 8th Ed came out, but recently a group has formed again in my store and we're going to start an scalating campaign starting at 1500 points. I'm a bit outdated but for what I've read Blackshields did not change with the updates at all so I'm going to play basically what I played before.

My plan is to play gene-bulked chymerae led by a praevian with two castellax (blades and darkfire), the Nemean Reaver (knight errant version), two 9-man marauder squads (with chainaxes, shotguns, a power axe and leader with hammer) with an apotecary each and in dreadclaw pods and a 5 man support squad with pariah flamers. Feedback would be welcome :P.

Also, as I understand it, the praevian can't be the compulsory HQ but can, however, be the warlord, no? And, is it to risky to run the Nemean Reaver alone simply trusting his extra protection when deep striking? I don't have the points at the moment to get him a bodyguard though, in truth, I'm not sure either with what to run him in the future... Maybe terminators to deep strike with them?

Fun list for sure.

The Flamers might need some more numbers, else they just get nuked off the board (or a Rhino maybe?)

The Nemean is a LOT of points at that level - he's no doubt uber powerful but still just one model, might be better with a Legion Champion or something if you want hitty?

Fun list for sure.

The Flamers might need some more numbers, else they just get nuked off the board (or a Rhino maybe?)

The Nemean is a LOT of points at that level - he's no doubt uber powerful but still just one model, might be better with a Legion Champion or something if you want hitty?

I know flamers are a bit unsupported, but I don't have the points for rhinos or more of them... They won't do much until I get more points. As for the Nemean Reaver, I thought he would work a lot better than a Reaver Lord unsupported, and I can't field another centurion because of the Blackshields restrictions, while I have to get another HQ because the praevian is a support officer. I guess I could get a generic Knight Errant instead, but wouldn't be as thematic. Also, the list already presents three big threats (2x Marauders and praevian with castellax), ideally opponents will focus more on those rather than the lone character they can just hit on 6s... Edited by The Traitor

That is only for one turn though,and like I said,he's a LOT of points!

You can take a centurion, just not a second consul :)

I had missed the restriction was about consuls instead of centurions... Will try to test the list before committing to anything, I'm usually not in favour of taking plain centurions as they seem a waste considering consul upgrades are usually so worth it. Could also remove a marauder for him to fit in a dreadclaw... As stated, will try to play test it this week before committing to anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Has Anyone thought of using a Blackshields list to stand in for Thunder Warriors? 

I thought of the idea a few days ago and it has really captivated my imagination, the sandbox of the blachshields really lends itself well to Unification Era technology. The +S and +T Chymeriae trait (although the fear, fleet, rage one could work too) with huge blobs of Pariah armored mad men seems to really capture the spirit of the Thunder Warriors. 

I'm working on a list right to represent them at the Battle of Mount Ararat and was looking for some input:

- What should stand in for Arik Taranis? I have been thinking about Endryd Haar (who adds utility to a footslogging army by being able to scout three units) however Nemean Reaver (as a knight Errant to get around his Wrought by War trait) may be a better match for Ararat's battle proficiency. 

- I want it to be infantry centric, however Malcadors were around during the Unification Wars. Should they be included or is it more fluffy to have pure infantry? 

- Rapiers and Destroyers may be a cool/good additions. What other units do you think could represent parts of the Thunder Warriors Legions? 

- Thunder Warriors are famously psycher resistant, any idea how to manage that? I was thinking about making the Blackshields an allied detachment to some SOS (I guess you would have to do it that way to get around the no allies Chymeriae drawback) who could stand in for an ancient Terran conclave of blanks or maybe proto-sisters.

Any input is welcome! 

Had a similar idea myself...!

It could work really well I think and would certainly suit the brutal nature of Thunder Warriors, though part of me thinks that you probably need an Ogryn Statline to be a Thunder Warrior accurately? 

Having an allied detachment of Militia with more generic tanks, and Ogryns (As super genebulked warriors/ proto-Custodes) would be a great way to go too.

Had a similar idea myself...!

It could work really well I think and would certainly suit the brutal nature of Thunder Warriors, though part of me thinks that you probably need an Ogryn Statline to be a Thunder Warrior accurately? 

Having an allied detachment of Militia with more generic tanks, and Ogryns (As super genebulked warriors/ proto-Custodes) would be a great way to go too.

That's a cool idea! You could even use Marauders, Terminators, and Ogryns as different levels of Thunder Warrior mental/physical decay. The Gorgon Transport may be a cool representation of an ancient Terran siege machine as well. Man I may actually start this project, I think I may be in love

There's a lot of hoohaa about whether it CAN be done, but as far as the rules go you can mix Blackshields and an Army of Dark Compliance.

Boom, big Gorgon's for all.

No idea to be honest but man oh man does the idea get me excited!

Who would you use for Taranis? He seems to be an exceptionally powerful character in the lore

• 3 months later...

What are peoples thoughts on an outlanders marauder squad with heavy flamers in a pod?

I was thinking about kitting 10 out with rad grenades, two heavy chainblades, 2 heavy flamers and sgt with powerfist in an anvillus... good plan?

it could be a good impact/distraction unit. the heavy flamers would be good for roasting pre assault and also to prevent getting trounced if im assaulted myself, especially with rad grenades. heavy chainblades will instant death marine units and the fist is incase theres anything large and armoured that needs punching...

is 365 too many points for one squad that may or may not get shot to bits before they get to do anything? i would drop in the anvillus a decent way from most threats and then zoom to where i need to be to mittigate too much intercepting shooting.

my other troops choice is likely going to be a assault squad blob and a volkite caliver support squad (or two) if that helps with advice...

i'm just looking to do something a bit different to what i normally do with my ironwing and ravenwing armies...

let me know what you guys think!

• 2 months later...

So I'm making a little zone mortalis list and was thinking of buying some terinators for it.

I was planning on using the Gene-bulked chymeriae trait (unoriginal i know) with a squad of breachers and a squad of marauders.

What are people thoughts on Cataphractii vs Tartaros these days?

I guess the advantages of tartaros fall a little short with the -1 to run, charge and sweeping advance movement for the gene-bulked trait BUT with a few combi-flamers and a heavy flamer in there then the ability to overwatch could be quite nice to deter charges...?

All wisdom is appreciated, my fellows.

So you'd recomend tartaros then for zone mortalis or is it just a case of preference?

I understand the argument that cataphractii is more resilient but with T5 there'll be less wounds that need saving to start with...right?

My planned loadout would be 2 pairs of claws, 2 fists and a chain fist. or is it silly with the claws as they're -1 to initiative (gene-bulked) so you're not exactly gaining much other than the extra attack?

edit: clarification

Edited by Nomadic Thunder

Since option 1 Chymera are not allowed to make Sweeping Advanced anyway Tartaros has only one bonus left:

You can run.

Nothing to snuff at in ZM, but againt option 1 Chymera become a malus on running which makes it slightly worse.

I wouldn't bother taking Tartaros to be honest.

Thanks guys.

In that case I might go for 3 fists and 2 chainfists over 2 paired lightning claws.

Try and punch those unwelcomed guests into next week!

If I added a forgelord to the squad would his automata with flamers be able to wall of death if assaulted?

Could they even be included if the forgelord was to join the terminators?

Thanks guys.

In that case I might go for 3 fists and 2 chainfists over 2 paired lightning claws.

Try and punch those unwelcomed guests into next week!

If I added a forgelord to the squad would his automata with flamers be able to wall of death if assaulted?

Could they even be included if the forgelord was to join the terminators?

A Forgelord with Servo-automata cannot join other units.

that makes sense!!

Just trying to get my rules mechanics and such!

would be cool to have some robot sidekicks kicking around though:teehee:

Would people equip terminators with mixed combi weapon loadouts?

I have some models with a few combi-meltas and plasmas and a plasma blaster. just wondering if it's a good decision to keep them as is?

Gotcha!

Where to people source their combi-weapons from?

i can only find two types of forgeworlds website, cataphractii with only two in and the regular set which people may not think appropriate looking on terminators and i don't think i'd be able to magnetize them very well without buying extra arms...

For those

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuRgJqXnT2d/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1lusaki435jgv

I used FW guns and those found in the GW plastik command sprue. Both work very well. It is eaay to make. Just cut of the Combi-boltguns from the terminator sprue and take the hands. On those you glue them on.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.