[HH1.0] Black Shields Tactica

exsanguis

@nusquam, then instead of bikes, jetbikes then? HB+Multimelta may be worth it? About the deathlock, the only way that I can see to spam them is with the Void Reavers special rule and giving them to terminators. But a unit of of five is too much due lethal exposure. Two of them will be the max I could give (to a termie or a marauder squad). My main opponents are necrons, 'nids, blood angels and the occasional tau and eldar and IG.

@Ishagu, that depends on the theme and the way you want to field your army.

Jetbikes work.

As for lethal exposure, it scales backwards. The more you use, the less chance of it happening. You need to roll under the number of shots fired on 2d6 to prevent it. If you fire one, it happens automatically as you can't roll a 1 (for under 2 shots) across 2d6 to negate it. While if you fire 20 shots, it's impossible for lethal exposure to activate. 7 deathlocks, for 14 shots, is the minimum needed to ignore  it. 4 deathlocks is 8 shots, and the average across 2d6 is 7. Which considering also the rule "Deathlock" leadership debuff stacks across multiple units if they fire against the same target. It's a strange weapon.

Jetbikes work.

As for lethal exposure, it scales backwards. The more you use, the less chance of it happening. You need to roll under the number of shots fired on 2d6 to prevent it. If you fire one, it happens automatically as you can't roll a 1 (for under 2 shots) across 2d6 to negate it. While if you fire 20 shots, it's impossible for lethal exposure to activate. 7 deathlocks, for 14 shots, is the minimum needed to ignore  it. 4 deathlocks is 8 shots, and the average across 2d6 is 7. Which considering also the rule "Deathlock" leadership debuff stacks across multiple units if they fire against the same target. It's a strange weapon.

That's definitely not how I read it...

If the roll result is less than the number of deathlock shots fired by the unit in that phase, the unit suffers a wound...

Not exactly sure; I haven't yet seen the new Herald Consul record, I can only assume the Blackshield version IS the Dark Herald, but I don't know for sure... Garro's report on Heresy30k indicates that Fear and +1Ld to units within 12" are the bonuses the BShield version confers. My one concern is that he apparently has 'Rite of command', which would mean he has to be the warlord. Kinda disapointing, but I figure maybe the DarkHerald loses the rule.

Not exactly sure; I haven't yet seen the new Herald Consul record, I can only assume the Blackshield version IS the Dark Herald, but I don't know for sure... Garro's report on Heresy30k indicates that Fear and +1Ld to units within 12" are the bonuses the BShield version confers. My one concern is that he apparently has 'Rite of command', which would mean he has to be the warlord. Kinda disapointing, but I figure maybe the DarkHerald loses the rule.

Nope... the Herald has the Rite of Command rule no matter what army he's part of. Which is pretty pointless because Blackshields can't use Rites of War! Hooray!

You have the effects of the Dark Banner right, though.

Jetbikes work.

That's definitely not how I read it...

If the roll result is less than the number of deathlock shots fired by the unit in that phase, the unit suffers a wound...

Ah so I'm the backwards one. I can't into brain. One of those days.

I'm not sure they're worth taking at this point. They'd only be good against non fearless cult militia that doesn't have 3+ armor(AP5 and the d6 wounds are AP-). Considering you can take a meltagun or power weapon in place of one in a marauder squad and termis can just take combiplasma/plasma blasters; I don't see any advantage they offer. I had thought they could just ride the line between fun and 'good' but I clearly had their rule inverted.

The real problem with them is that the only unit that can make full use of them can just take plasmablasters/combiplasma and be good killing at everything. Sure if you know you're facing low-save/low-ld army that battle you could take a few. But why not just a heavy flamer? No risk use, and you trade a bit of range for ignores cover, better AP, and wall of death. I like it's concept, not sold on it's execution.

I've been playing with a few lists. I like the 'everyman' feeling to it. No legion specific units to compete with vanilla counter parts feels great. I actually made a list with sniper vets again.

These are all great points.  While I, too, am considering fluff/forge-a-narrative choices, this sort of analysis is important, so that I know what I'm getting into.

My favourite so far is the Shotgun.  Aside from mathhammer purposes, in the 40k RPGs Bolter ammo are really expensive and rare; just having the spent the spent shell is a bit of a relic in itself.  Shotgun shells, however, are plentiful.  Therefore, both Shotguns are really a great choice both game mechanics and story purposes.

The Heavy Flamer is the same.  I absolutely see what you mean comparing that to the Xenos Deathlock.  But I also consider even if the Heavy Flamer itself is rare, fuel is readily available; even if it's not the best quality of gasoline, Marines will make do.  Considering Black Shields have limited resources, this is also a very fluffy choice.

Even as I'm designing the look & feel of my Black Shields, these are all very interesting and important considerations I wish to reflect on the model.

So been having various chats on the internetweb and black shields seem to have to funky builds. Albeit expensive, I've heard of the reaver Lord taking some pretty silly options making him (on a jet bike) str 5 t6 with a 2+ 3++ (halo and familiar) with rad nades, and either that funky sword or thunder hammer to suit.

Is this something you guys would see often (if what I've gleaned bookless is correct)?

Yeah, that all is doable. Chymeriae with +1S, +1T, -1I is nice with a thunder hammer, and you're never going to have your Toughness doubled out for Instant Death. The -1 Run, -1 Charge is not a disaster, but no Sweeping Advances across the army will be a problem.

Nusquam & Backwards, you both make very good points. As per terminators, I'm used to termicide them and you can take deathlocks and heavy flamer. Maybe pointless but the option is there. I'm thinking HF, 3x combimelta and a deathlock.

Also looked on the powerbuilds (although I'm going to take the Nemean Reaver almost certainly) but yeah, Chymeriae in jetbike with the halo sword, rad grenades, iron halo and familiar would be S8 T6 2+/3++ AP 3 with a good movement and decent fire. Expensive but a killing machine. I don't like TH/PF because being second in cc is not a good thing.

It's not bad if the likely hood of you getting hit/killed is extremely low. I wouldn't go fighting any claw leviathans with him but everything else it would be worth taking a thunder hammer.

Especially if you used your one consul choice on a primus medicae for the fnp

Also looked on the powerbuilds (although I'm going to take the Nemean Reaver almost certainly) but yeah, Chymeriae in jetbike with the halo sword, rad grenades, iron halo and familiar would be S8 T6 2+/3++ AP 3 with a good movement and decent fire. Expensive but a killing machine. I don't like TH/PF because being second in cc is not a good thing.

You'd be going second anyway at -1I for I4. So a praetor with a paragon blade would swing first, and have a 2+. Unless you just meant killing standard marines?

A S10 hammer would be hard to pass up. You can ID other bikes.

Here's another random one if, for example, you did take a primus medicae to go with your reaver Lord of doom, what about taking a charnabal sabre to up his Initiative for challenges you might not want to put the Lord into. On a jetbike with Chymeriae, would be str 5 t 6 I5 in a challenge with a chance of rending. 2+ 5++ giving a reasonable chance of survival? Edited by helterskelter