[HH1.0] Black Shields Tactica

exsanguis

for the orphans of war option it says characters get the preferred enemy (character) special rule. Preferred enemy says as long as a single model in a unit has the rule the entire unit benefits from it if they are attacking their preferred enemy. So if nearly every unit comes with a character in the form of a sergeant do you get to re-roll 1's when attacking a unit as long as he is alive?  

No, you only get to re-roll against wounds/hits inflicted on the character.

Unfortunately, you're looking at it the wrong way round. The whole squad gains Preferred Enemy if any 1 model has it, but you only get Preferred Enemy (Characters) when attacking the Character specifically, not when attacking a unit with a Character in it.

Great for challenges, or for units that get Precision Strikes/Shots (as they can choose a Character, then re-roll the 1's To Wound) but otherwise it's hard to take advantage of.

Question time:

The Herald has the Rite of Command, so it have to be the Warlord and may take a Command Squad (which Blackshields can't) and use RoW's (which Blackshields also can't), but is a non compulsory HQ, and then Blackshields can only deploy one Consul.

So, Delegatus or Heralds RoC supersede the rule of no RoW of the Blackshields? I don't think so but is confusing, also making those options worthless I guess, because they lose any utility (except to pay 90 points for a 12" fear bubble?

Question time:

The Herald has the Rite of Command, so it have to be the Warlord and may take a Command Squad (which Blackshields can't) and use RoW's (which Blackshields also can't), but is a non compulsory HQ, and then Blackshields can only deploy one Consul.

So, Delegatus or Heralds RoC supersede the rule of no RoW of the Blackshields? I don't think so but is confusing, also making those options worthless I guess, because they lose any utility (except to pay 90 points for a 12" fear bubble?

While I see no use for a Delegatus, the Herald still seems useful in some instances; the fear and +1Ld bubble can be a nic eboon (especially if you go with Chymerae with the -Ld option)...

Question time:

Yup, the limitation is that Blackshields can only take a single consul.

The Herald is a support officer, so can't be the compulsory HQ.

So, you gotta bring a Reaver Lord to be able to also include a Herald w. Dark Banner.

A Delegatus is pointless.

So, you gotta bring a Reaver Lord to be able to also include a Herald w. Dark Banner.

A Delegatus is pointless.

Or a Centurion... Edited by Player 404

• 2 weeks later...

Reaver Lords are indeed really expensive, mine only comes out at 2,5k+. You're just better of running a Centurion at 2k points.

That being sad, the combination of Halo Blade, Digital Lasers and Rad Grenades is pretty neat. You better not fail any saves or that Praetor gets instagibbed.

Edited by Lord-Commander Macarian

I will be using one at 1k points, infantry heavy list. Its an expensive HQ but it will be giving instadeath to everything that he charges. Problem is my oponent with Salamanders Legion.

And the lack of AP2 on my list. But I do like a challenge.

So, we've had the book for a little while now...

Any experience from anyone? :D

Ran a chymeraie list (+1S, +1T) that was heavy on marauders backed up by a typhon and a leviathan.

The marauders held their own vs alot of space wolves and even gave the lightning claw termis a run for their money.

Other than that the leadership penalty hurt like hell.

My two cents.

Honestly, the usual proceedings is order of operations for things that occur simultaneously are decided by the person whose turn it is.

But I'd talk about it first..

I haven't got the rules for the moment, but it sounds slightly too broken: why should the Nemean Reaver be better than a Champion at their own game.

Wait, the Reaver's the name character... okay, go ahead :)

Hmm, I've been thinking about the Blackshields of late. One question though - how is the unit calculated for purposes of the Limited Resources rule? My thought is that, say, 1-3 apothecaries would each count as one infantry unit, and 1-3 contemptors would each count as one vehicle unit. But 1-5 Landspeeders would count as 1 vehicle unit, right? What about tank squadrons?

I'm thinking either big squads of marauders or breachers with Chymeriae option 1. Marauders might well get 4 power axes and chainaxes on the lot, though I think shotguns or 2x bolt pistols could be fun too - but if I take all of that it really pushes their points through the roof. While on option 1, how do Rapiers work with it? I'm thinking seeing as they don't have LA: BS they'll just continue to be their normal T, and the crew will be affected by option 1?

Option 3 is pretty appealing, too. In this case, I'm thinking I would go for vehicle support after the Marauder squads in order to mitigate the -1BS, hence the question about how the Limited Resources rule works out. Something appeals to me about a savage blitz with Marauders fleeting through enemy fire with fast sicarans and landspeeders whizzing along by them.

Of course, if there's a good argument for what loadout for Marauders would be useful for both option 1 and 2, I'm all eyes. Given that WBW is basically what we have instead of Rites, I wouldn't be too fussed changing it around - plus I have an idea for explaining it.

What about the +1 T/S on power fist terminators?

Holy sheet.

You now have T5 terminators with S10 power fists. I dub thee Golem terminators.

Also, after reading about the ground attack on Xana and what was in those crates...

*SPOILERS*

Does anyone want to build an undead marine force revived by the keys of hel? I hear that metal music plays in the background from the sheer amount of awesomeness that happens.