Lords of Wrath Project Log

Pistorius

Greetings, everyone.

Played back in the 4th/5th edition with Daemonhunters and Dark Angels, but sold out of the game when I moved away from my gaming group.  My son is now 12 and is liking the look of Necrons at the FLGS, so I decided to start a small army so we can play against each other.  I've ordered a Dark Vengeance tactical squad and picked up a copy of Insignium Astartes.  I know that I'll have to do some shaving to get the DA heraldry off of the shoulder pads (any tips?) and my goal is to build a very fluffy, codex-adherent army.  I'm starting this thread to track my progress.  

I'm going to do a DIY chapter inspired by my favorite football team, the Chicago Bears.  I was playing around with the Marine Painter a couple of years ago, but never went through with the project.  Here is my basic scheme:

Lords of Wrath Tactical Marine

The Chapter Badge will look something like this (modified to match the color scheme):

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/jonishairy/40K%20--%20Maulers/Bear%20Paw_zps9zbssvt8.jpg

They will be done in white.  I'm actually contemplating doing them as sub-assemblies so I can prime the white parts and blue/orange parts separately.  In the past, I would always completely assemble a model, then base, then prime before painting.  

I did some fiddling with the Chapter Badge in Pixelmator.  Here's the basic Chapter Badge:

Lords of Wrath Chapter Badge

And with colors reversed for the Veterans:

Lords of Wrath Alternate Chapter Badge

Latest update:  I've decided on a name for the Chapter.  I had originally thought of calling them the Maulers, but the more I rolled it around in my head, the less I liked it.  So, I spent a good hour trolling through the list of Loyalist Chapters and landed on the Lords of Wrath as a Chapter with minimal information (no scheme, badge, or any information on their origin).  In fact, almost the only thing known about them is that they retain the rank of Lieutenant from before the Codex Astartes was written. 

So, I've decided to appropriate the name, and I've come up with a plan for incorporating Lieutenants into the command structure.  Basically, in each Company, the most senior Sergeant of each squad type is designated as a Lieutenant (so one Tactical, one Assault, and one Devestator).  

Any thoughts?

So, my copy of Insignium Astartes arrived yesterday, and while I was reading through it I came across this passage:

Battle Companies comprise a mix of squad designations, usually six Tactical Squads, two Assault Squads and two Devastator Squads.  This can very however and some Chapters may include more or less Assault and Devastator Squads but never more than the number of Tactical Squads in the Company.

So, trying to tie that into this idea of incorporating Lieutenants, what are your thoughts on this Company Structure?  What if each of the Battle Companies had 4 Tacticals and 3 each of Assault and Devastor Squads.  It creates a more balanced structure, and the most senior squad leader of each type could be designated as a Lieutenant.  So it would look something like this:

HQ
Captain
Chaplain
Apothecary
Standard Bearer

Squads

Tactical Squad 1 (Led by Lieutenant)

Tactical Squad 2
Tactical Squad 3

Tactical Squad 4

Assault Squad 5 (Led by Lieutenant)
Assault Squad 6

Assault Squad 7

Devastator Squad 8 (Led by Lieutenant)

Devastator Squad 9

Devastator Squad 10

Support
Dreadnoughts
Rhinos
Land Speeders
Bikes

I also managed to find an old Assault on Black Reach dread in my bits box and he went in the stripping pot so he can try on the new colors.  We'll see how he turns out!

Archived