Finished Eagle Eyes models -- scouts added 3-21 (or 21-3...)

JeffTibbetts

I might as well start a new thread for these guys since I've been painted a bit more lately. That way I don't need to start a new one every time I finish a new model.

First up is a finished sergeant for my Vanguard Veterans.

gallery_74115_8883_134803.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_1158708.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_845246.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_1028444.jpg

I was going for a TMM effect on the sword. It was my first time doing it, since I usually use a much dingier metallic look. I find blending with a wash somewhat difficult. I doubt it's something I'll use very often, but I definitely need to practice it more.

C&C are welcome, as always.

Thanks, and yeah, the arms are officially a thing. I guess it's because of the veterans' white arms, right?  

I like the look of it so much I'm going to use it for Assault and Devs right arms as well (red and black, respectively), in lieu of squad marking on the shoulder pad. I think it's a great way to show another link to the Raven Guard, myself. For me, the beige/bone arms on vets are a hint at the skin-bleaching effect over time. Maybe this was actually part of RG fluff as well but I don't remember ever hearing it explained that way. 

Should make squads really stand out from one another on the battlefield. When I get around to painting your dude, he will really stick out with his red armor and black arms. Can't wait to do it. 

I don't mind at all. Fairly simple:

Rakarth Flesh

Slightly thinned Agrax Earthshade

Rakarth to neaten up if needed

Blended highlight to Pallid Wych Flesh

Very thin edge highlight with White Scar.

The scratches are Rhinox hide, with White Scar highlights. The biggest ones have a bit of Nuln Oil in for variation.

I do like the mini, the white stony look of the shield and arms is a good contrast to the green. It also has nice used look with the minor

battle damage and subtle dirt.

I do have a question though? Wasn`t your chapter supposed to have an meso-american influence/ style.

I would have excpected that he had a darker, slightly yellowish skin-tone. This one looks very pale.

(It`s not meant as criticism in any way, I was just wondering.)

P.S.:

Did I tell you that you have one great chapter badge? msn-wink.gif

I do like the mini, the white stony look of the shield and arms is a good contrast to the green. It also has nice used look with the minor

battle damage and subtle dirt.

I do have a question though? Wasn`t your chapter supposed to have an meso-american influence/ style.

I would have excpected that he had a darker, slightly yellowish skin-tone. This one looks very pale.

(It`s not meant as criticism in any way, I was just wondering.)

P.S.:

Did I tell you that you have one great chapter badge? msn-wink.gif

Haha. Thanks! Yeah, they do have a sort of Aztec / Mayan background. I try to keep the hints subtle, usually. The skin tone has more to do with the gene-seed, though. They're Raven Guard successors, so their skin tone pales over time. They do start out a little darker than a standard caucasian, but these are veterans so they're the palest of the bunch.

Great colour scheme and very well executed battle damage, the only thing that puts me off is the terminator bit on the thruster. It just seems to unbalance the pose slightly, maybe because it is on the same side as the sword,  still doesn't detract from a great mini though.

Ah, yeah I can see that a bit. The shield carries a lot of visual weight, but the sword does as well. Of course, he's magnetized and will be carrying a hammer at least sometimes, and then I think it'll look more in balance.

Truth be told, I made up the backpack separately and I just chose this one because of the longer sergeant's cross. I should have swapped them but at that point it was already glued on.

Thanks for the good point, though.

• 1 month later...

Okay, update time. I didn't bother posting WIP pics on here, but I did do a couple blog posts if you want to see any of the paint recipes I used for the new elements. Name, jungle camo! This is the first time I've ever done camo and I personally like how it turned out. I'll drop the pics here. Hit me up if you have any questions or comments at all. :D

gallery_74115_8883_434184.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_93912.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_1669250.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_748700.jpg

A couple of those are blurry. I'm sorry about that. I didn't notice until later.

I did take some closer pics of the sergeant, though.

gallery_74115_8883_910981.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_398774.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_1787094.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_1799203.jpg

Pretty pleased with the camo pattern, the 'new' style of face paint (to look more like smeared ash) and the decals. These are definitely quick and dirty, closer to a tabletop standard, but hey at least I finished a full squad for once.

• 1 month later...

I fall off the planet to play video games for a while, and you go and start a completion thread!

Digging the battle damage on the VanVet, which isn't something I say very often (you know how I feel about battle damage!).

And your Scout camo makes my 'camo' cloaks look like ass. My jealousy is the colour of your Marines...

Archived