[HH1.0] White Scars Tactica

Ironwithout

As we now have rules i thought a tactica was needed for the few of us that play White Scars.

What are you using? How do you use them?

Jetbikes - I run units of 6 with 2 Volkite as they are small enough to hide if needed. I think melta has its place depending on the list but as always armoured ceramite is a issue.

Outriders - i love these things with Plasma guns. Insanely expensive but as a unit of 5 people either spend time shooting them which is fine by me as other things aren't getting shot. Or they ignore them and they are a real pain.

Lightning Strike Fighters - these things seem to fall into every list of mine. Considering I play fast lists i try and avoid the usual ways of dealing with Spartans so these with Kraken missiles seem like a must.

Power Glaive...... even I think this thing os insane for 15 points!

What do we think of the cyber Hawk?

So lets get the ball rolling. Soon see how many WS players we have

Edited by Ironwithout

I feel like trying:

HQ, Medic Consul and bodyguards all on Jetbikea with Glaives.

Numerous 3 Jetbike squads with Glaive Sgt, Meltabombs and Volkites.

Some Land Speeder Tempests.

And nothing else for fluff reason!

Take the Glaive in Outriders instead as they can have other power weapons in a squad.

Use them to go after 3+ saves though and use ap2 mode of the Glaive when up against artificer armor.

Try and avoid TEQ or just shoot them with TL PGs

Not just 3 Jetbikes but squads of 3 in an expensive MSU way. I figure it may be easier to move them max distance for the RoW bonus.

Also I'd still put Glaives on everything for looks, forget the cost!

I'll need to check out the rules more.

I can't help but feel that a Pride List with Cataphractii Terminators in Dreadclaws (Rerolling 1's to wound) and Combi Flamers to overwatch after, supported by Plasma Outriders (5+ Cover Saves moving 12" and rerolling 1's to wound with Power Axes) is the way to go, especially with a Forge Lord providing Rad Nades, Pfist, and a Nuncio to bring in Dreadpods.

Kilofix - Remember skilled rider gives everything +1 to jink anyway. The +1 to cover for maximum move only actually maters if you are in cover for an actual cover save as you cant use it to get better then a 3+ jink.

Pastel Avenger - Also i think the Glaive is worth it with hit and run. Its better to be in combat potentially instead of getting shot at and then leave combat for your following turn. The glaive will allow you to kill a few on the way. My only problem is at 30 points (15 for sarg and 15 for the glaive) its too expensive on a non combat unit.

Edited by Ironwithout

I think you've misread my post, I was talking specifically about paying 30pts for 2 AP2 attacks or 3 AP3 attacks on the charge. At the end of your post you agree with what I said haha

Your right i apologise i did misread it. 30 points is over the top on a non combat unit just as you said. I stand by what i said about sometimes it will be better to charge with the RoW giving hit and run

Edited by Ironwithout

Kilofix - Remember skilled rider gives everything +1 to jink anyway. The +1 to cover for maximum move only actually maters if you are in cover for an actual cover save as you cant use it to get better then a 3+ jink.

Pastel Avenger - Also i think the Glaive is worth it with hit and run. Its better to be in combat potentially instead of getting shot at and then leave combat for your following turn. The glaive will allow you to kill a few on the way. My only problem is at 30 points (15 for sarg and 15 for the glaive) its too expensive on a non combat unit.

Oh, good point about Max Jink. There I was thinking 2+ cover.

I was a bit terrified when I first saw the +1 cover rule plus skilled rider, +2 min would have been crazy, glad that's been cleared up.

I think bikes with Glaives supported by land speeders would be a great fluffy army. Land speeders for anti tank, bikes for everything else, maybe some with plasma so you don't have to send bikers up against terminators.

Do transports get +1 inv if they carry scars inside?

Just realised that if our bikes move 12" they get 2+ jink :eek: !

for extra pain combine with a 3 HQ character unit

Edited by noigrim

Do transports get +1 inv if they carry scars inside?

Unless your going to contribute to the topic in a meaningful way, posting snarky comments that are to no-ones benefit isn't the best.

Maximum Jink is only ever a 3+

Edited by Slipstreams

Personally, I'm going for a Jetbikes list. Starting with a Praetor and 2 units of 6 Jetbikes. I'll likely bung in a couple of Javelins for Outflank-y goodness, and seeing as Sicarans are Fast, they fit the theme and can bring in some much needed AT. I'm not sure what to arm the Jetbikes with. I'm tempted with one squad with Volkites, and another with Plasma Cannons for some TEQ-killers.

I was rather excited b y the Cyber Hawk to start with, till I noticed it affects Infantry only. Mind, this is a starting point for me; eventually, I'll be adding in some Scars Breachers, Terminators, Rapiers etc. I like a bit of everything in my armies.

Personally, I'm going for a Jetbikes list. Starting with a Praetor and 2 units of 6 Jetbikes. I'll likely bung in a couple of Javelins for Outflank-y goodness, and seeing as Sicarans are Fast, they fit the theme and can bring in some much needed AT. I'm not sure what to arm the Jetbikes with. I'm tempted with one squad with Volkites, and another with Plasma Cannons for some TEQ-killers.

I was rather excited b y the Cyber Hawk to start with, till I noticed it affects Infantry only. Mind, this is a starting point for me; eventually, I'll be adding in some Scars Breachers, Terminators, Rapiers etc. I like a bit of everything in my armies.

I try to avoid Plasma as if they jink they cant shoot due to the template. I agree though i think 6 is the golden number. My preference is for Volkite though.

In regards to taking everything personally im going to run 2 Scorpius Whirlwinds. Nothing to say a fast army wouldnt have artillary support.

I think Outriders fill a gap though with the additional access to power weapons and also Plasma personally i think a combination of Outriders and Jetbikes is better.

Apologies for spelling and punctuation. Was a ninja post at work

@ IronWithout - totally forgot about that the Jink thing *looks at Jetbikes already painted and gets ready to rip PC's off*.

I also think payday at the end of this month will see some Outriders as well, marginally cheaper than going all Jetbikes (my poor, poor wallet).

If I'm looking at some fliers, what would you guys recommend? I'm not too fussed about Fire Raptors (I'm sure I have enough in the army that can deal with AP3, via weight of Volkite alone) seeing as my Sicarans will fulfil the Heavy Support role. So, looking at Storm Eagles, Xiphons and Lightnings. I don't really use fliers so not sure which seems best.

Xiphon needs a buff. I'm thinking its Cluster Warheads force a reroll of cover saves, and get both Vector Dancer and the ability to reroll failed reserve rolls if a Flyer/Fast Skimmer is present. Maybe even give it the Interceptor rule.

Storm Eagles suck. Too exonsive, could do with dropping 40pts.

Lightnings are consequently the best in that you can kit them out as you wish. 220pts for 4 Penetrators, Tank Hunter and Bs+1 gets you something which should be able to kill a Typhon in one turn. Useful if you don't have pod dreads, although said Pod Dread is more effective amd has the upside of likely forcing a surviving Typhon after the first round of moving.

@ IronWithout - totally forgot about that the Jink thing *looks at Jetbikes already painted and gets ready to rip PC's off*.

I also think payday at the end of this month will see some Outriders as well, marginally cheaper than going all Jetbikes (my poor, poor wallet).

If I'm looking at some fliers, what would you guys recommend? I'm not too fussed about Fire Raptors (I'm sure I have enough in the army that can deal with AP3, via weight of Volkite alone) seeing as my Sicarans will fulfil the Heavy Support role. So, looking at Storm Eagles, Xiphons and Lightnings. I don't really use fliers so not sure which seems best.

Hesh Kadesh hit the nail on the head with flyers Im going to be running double Lightnings with 4 kraken missiles each. Spartans and Typhons are everywhere in my meta. Plus i bloody love the look of them. Edited by Ironwithout