[HH1.0] White Scars Tactica

Ironwithout

Always good to see that other legions have lemons too,lol

But  why do you care, most 30k players are here for the fluff, so why concern yourself about how army behaves on field if you have nice fluffy army that you enjoy watching on table? Yes, it probably won't win much and will be blasted off the table, but who cares, otherwise you would play 40k?

If I shell out $124 for a book to play my legion, I expect proper game balance.

It's a little disappointing to see that Command Squads can't take the new jetbike, its inclusion doesn't seem very well thought out at all.

The new jetbikes are a joke pretty useless all around cant jink and fire and only on a squad that doesnt ever want to overwatch. I'm super sad there is no glaive command squad on bikes that was actually the only thing I expected.

And I agree a) winning is fun b) losing all the time is not fun c) I'd like to use the cool fancy toys of my legion and not like to lose all the time because its not fun

So I really do want to have the khan some characters and a squad of golden keshig but they are horrendously bad I will probably still use them but I will probably lose more often than not because they suck like that's what it is.

Edited by Purge the Daemon

Tell your opponent to load up on tactical marines, you can deal with that, can't you?

Tbh. I would not expect any buff for WS any time soon. Just look how long it took FW to 'fix' something like headhunters, and they still ain't good.

So far, bike heavy army that does it right is DA with acid rounds, it's just broken how it eats through everything(while having poison 2+)!

Asking opponents to intentionally handicap themselves so that we can comfortably field our own mediocre units is neither fluffy nor appropriate for a thread discussing tactics imo.

I think fielding the Scars as a Recon Company has been discussed, but has anyone given any thought to trying them out in Drop Assault Vanguard? On paper it seems like Assault Marines and jump infantry in general would be able to benefit from Swift Action pretty consistently. On a related note, how do you guys interpret the gaining of Hit and Run from that RoW? The way my group interprets it is that the Vanguard gets the rule permanently, but the wording is a little vague.

That's quite a big jump, associating the desire for balances units with a WAAC attitude. In some ways I noticed seems the "fluffy" players are more toxic than the "competitive" ones, with the amount of gatekeeping involved in trying to regulate how other people enjoy their games.

In any case, I came to a tactics thread to try and improve the way I play my games. If I wanted advice on how to build my army the way Black Library presents the legion, I'd be in the appropriate forum.

Back on topic, another perk to fielding a Drop Assault Vanguard is that the cyber-hawk might actually be a useful choice to include, assuming Jump Infantry falls under Infantry when it comes to receiving the buff.

That's quite a big jump, associating the desire for balances units with a WAAC attitude. In some ways I noticed seems the "fluffy" players are more toxic than the "competitive" ones, with the amount of gatekeeping involved in trying to regulate how other people enjoy their games.

No worries, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but it's not a big jump either, and I certainly agree with you about toxicity on both ends of the spectrum. But it's true, sadly, and I miss the days when we would not have to concern ourselves with topics like 'what sort of players might feel attracted to gaming event YX', etc.

Now, to get back to you, as for your earlier thoughts about LRC and DAV ...

LRC might work nicely, scouting, shrouded Outrider squadrons sound like a good thing to me. Might be worth testing. There's not much love for LRC in the community in general, but I run it extensively with (non-bike) Alpha Legion.

I feel like DAV is one of the strongest non-legion-specific RoW there is, and sure, the Cyber-Hawk will work nicely there. Though I feel there're a  lot more possibilities now even outside of DAV with the Falcon Claw's access to the Hawk without the need for a Praetor.

Oh yes, the LRC definetely looks like a fun choice to build around. Along with scouting Outriders, I was also thinking that having a Seeker Squad with a vox in a Proteus could provide some decent support at the front, and allow me to deep strike some Sky Slayers safely.

I'm a little bummed about the Falcon's Claws honestly, especially concerning these two RoWs. For LRC, I don't feel too great about adding more recon type troops in my army since I'm already forced to take 3 Recon Squads. I guess since they're rather cheap, I could fit in a squad if I have the slots, but I always find my FA slots filled up really quickly.

It's even more problematic including them in DAV because they'd need a Dreadclaw or Stormeagle to be fielded, which means they're taking up 2 precious FA slots. It's a pity, because I really like the concept of the unit. I'm kinda hoping they get done in some sort of mk I type armor.

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening brothers! May i use your experience to help me. Im new to 30k, never played a game but been into 40k since 1 ed. Ive started a White Scars Army. My question to you is: how would you field White Scars without bikes or jetbikes?

Reason im asking is because i dont want to think that White Scars is an inflexible legion. Every other legion with their ROWs can be fielded in multiple ways, at least i think so with my lack of experience. Can WS be fluffy and semi-effective with tacticals, rhinos, falcons claws etc? How would your lists without bikes look like?

Sincerily/Johanhgg

Thank you! Yes im going for a simple Pride if legion-list to start with!

I think im going to try out a couple of squads Falcons claws, how would you model them? Recon marine-kit? Or 40k-scoutmodels?

Edited by Johanhgg

I think im going to try out a couple of squads Falcons claws, how would you model them? Recon marine-kit? Or 40k-scoutmodels?

Recon Marines wear Power Armour, so no.

40k scouts look a bit ... clumsy, in my humble opinion.

I'd go with the old, metal Wolf Scout models, greenstuffing and adapting their furry bits into more mongolian- / eastern-style fur cloaks and tribal trinkets.

Then add lightning claws on slightly smaller (scout-) scale fighting gloves / vambraces.

I'd take WS themed space marine torsos from any of the dozent of third party shops, naked muscular arms with gloved hands and use the power claw attachment bit from the tartaros kit and cut them to pieces. Then I'd put two or maybe three of them on each glove. Possible only two because otherwise it looks to cramped and... Wolverine. ;)

Voilà, Falcon's Claws.

Edited by Gorgoff

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening brothers! May i use your experience to help me. Im new to 30k, never played a game but been into 40k since 1 ed. Ive started a White Scars Army. My question to you is: how would you field White Scars without bikes or jetbikes?

Reason im asking is because i dont want to think that White Scars is an inflexible legion. Every other legion with their ROWs can be fielded in multiple ways, at least i think so with my lack of experience. Can WS be fluffy and semi-effective with tacticals, rhinos, falcons claws etc? How would your lists without bikes look like?

Sincerily/Johanhgg

If Falcon's Claws had Scout I would've recommended the Legion Recon Company RoW, but they technically don't.

There's always Brethren of Iron.  Using a Praevian is a little better though, since the robots attached to him get Swift Action (per the FAQ on the WH Community website).

Armored Breakthrough is good because it gives your Rhinos and Predators the Fast rule, and you can still play it with plenty of infantry (as long as they're in Tank-type transports).  The problem is Falcon's Claws; they don't have a dedicated transport option.  So you're probably sticking them in a Land Raider.

Pride of the Legion is always fine, too.  Veterans with combi-plasma are great because the cyberhawk means they can reroll those 1s to hit.  Regular Terminators are still worth taking because they score.  It's probably the only way to find a good use for the Cataphractii Praetor model.

Thanks guys! Right now im thinking about a WS ZM-list with Falcon claws, legion termies, a termie praetor and Ebon Keshig (When released) maybe a squador two of veterans ad well.

Going to convert Falcons claws with scout bodies, ravager-heads and topknots from puppetswar, chaos marauder-bare arms and either katana-style powerswords or lightning claws. We’ll see how they turns out

• 4 months later...

Poor Scars, so little interest. Well, here's a question: How should I revamp this 1k Zone Mortalis list?

I don't want to try making my own Falcon's Claws, so I'm removing them. I'd also like to try things that are less typical.

White Scars, 971/1000 points.

HQ

Qin Xa, 200 pts

Legion Command x5, 255 pts

- Tartaros x5, Power Glaives x4, Chainfist x1, Melta Bombs

Elite

Cortus Contemptor x1, 165 pts

- Toxiferno Cannon, Chainfist w/ Heavy Flamer x1

Troops

Veterans x10, 231 pts

- Plasma Guns x2, Combi Plasma x4, Power Axes x2, Sarge Melta Bomb

Fast Attack

Falcon's Claw x5, 100 pts

- Lightning Claw Pairs x5, Cyber Eagle

So if I drop the Falcon's Claws, I could instead use a few Attack Bikes with Multi-Meltas. Would be an interesting unit that benefits from LA: WS' Skilled Riders, and something that I would never use in a standard army which is a plus. Thoughts?

Edited by Mango Polo

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

With Jaghatai finally getting his (pedestrian) model released, I doubt I will be the only person asking this question:

What's the "best" way to use the Khan Afoot?

He can't join Ebon Keshig (no one can).

He can't go in Chogorian Brotherhood since he must be Warlord and the WL in Chogorian must be on a scimitar jetbike (which even Khan's bike version is not on a scimitar derp derp). 

How would other people use him?

Primarch's Chosen or Pride of the Legion perhaps, and just spam Machinekiller or Weaponmaster Vets/Ebon Keshig? That would be a decisively NOT bike-heavy variant.

With Jaghatai finally getting his (pedestrian) model released, I doubt I will be the only person asking this question:

What's the "best" way to use the Khan Afoot?

He can't join Ebon Keshig (no one can).

He can't go in Chogorian Brotherhood since he must be Warlord and the WL in Chogorian must be on a scimitar jetbike (which even Khan's bike version is not on a scimitar derp derp). 

How would other people use him?

Primarch's Chosen or Pride of the Legion perhaps, and just spam Machinekiller or Weaponmaster Vets/Ebon Keshig? That would be a decisively NOT bike-heavy variant.

Depends what flavor of fast you want.

Recon Company might not be so bad of a choice. Khan lets everything with LA Scout so easy access to that buff from the RoW. The native +1 to sieze from their LA:WS + reroll to seize from the RoW gives you really good odds at going first.

Take some Falcon's Claws with Cyber Hawks for your LA:WS bois to get reroll 1s to shooting and perform some deployment shenanigans with their 18" Scout move and infiltrate. They also have Cameleolines for Stealth so with RC they'll get both Stealth and Shrouded for a decent save out in the open (Unless Ignore Cover lmao) and all have LCs baseline for your PA mulching needs.

A squad of 10 with no other upgrades is also cheaper than a 10 man Recon Squad which is funny.

Sadly, no Termies in Recon Company though.

Cyber Hawks do let you capitalize on combi-vets by making them more efficient and the plasma falvored ones less likely to self-destruct.