Brainstorming: Lords of Wrath

Pistorius

Greetings, Gents.

Dipping my toe back in the water after a long time out of 40K.  My son has taken an interest in Necrons and I thought I'd put together a force so we can play against each other.  In the past, I played Daemonhunters and Dark Angels, but I've always wanted to do a full-fledged DIY chapter that I can call my own.  This is the perfect opportunity, I guess.  

I had posted some of this information in the Project Log that I started, but I wasn't getting much feedback.  I realized that it was because I had it in the wrong section.

A couple of years ago, I was playing around with the SM Painters and came up with a paint scheme that I liked based off of my favorite football team, the Chicago Bears.  I ordered a copy of Insignium Astartes and I'm trying to get a good idea of force composition and squad markings before I start putting paint to models.  I think I've got something that I like:

Lords of Wrath Tactical Marine

And for the Veterans:

Lords of Wrath Veteran Sergeant

And here is the Chapter Badge:

Lords of Wrath Chapter Badge

I had originally thought of calling them the Maulers, but the more I rolled it around in my head, the less I liked it.  So, I spent a good hour trolling through the list of Loyalist Chapters and landed on the Lords of Wrath as a Chapter with minimal information (no scheme, badge, or any information on their origin).  In fact, almost the only thing known about them is that they retain the rank of Lieutenant from before the Codex Astartes was written. 

So, I've decided to appropriate the name, and I've come up with a plan for incorporating Lieutenants into the command structure. Basically, in each Company, the most senior Sergeant of each squad type is designated as a Lieutenant (so one Tactical, one Assault, and one Devastator).  I'm considering a modified Battle Company structure to better fit this idea of a rank between Sergeants and Captains.  It would look something like this:

HQ
Captain
Chaplain
Apothecary
Standard Bearer

Squads

Tactical Squad 1 (Led by Lieutenant)

Tactical Squad 2
Tactical Squad 3

Tactical Squad 4

Assault Squad 5 (Led by Lieutenant)
Assault Squad 6

Assault Squad 7

Devastator Squad 8 (Led by Lieutenant)

Devastator Squad 9

Devastator Squad 10

Support
Dreadnoughts
Rhinos
Land Speeders
Bikes

So, I'm reading through the DIY guides at the top and I am starting to put some ideas together, but I wanted to have a place where I could bounce ideas off of people who are far more immersed in the background than I am.  Let me know if you have any comments/criticism on what I've already put together.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks for the feedback.  

Maybe you're right about just having one Lieutenant per Company...or maybe two?  Then it would make it easy to split into a demi-company formation, as you said.  

As for the color scheme, I haven't painted a test model yet.  I have an old AoBR dread that just came out of the stripping pot and I ordered a Dark Vengeance tactical squad so I'd have some cheap guinea pigs while I figure out what colors I want to use.  I don't think it will be too difficult be cause I've use blue and orange on my LotR dwarves before, although they are much smaller than some of the 40K stuff.  

As for the fluff, I had thought about using this Chicago Bears inspiration to get some basic ideas to construct the framework, then I'll "Grimdark" all the details.  Here are some of the ideas I came up with.  Excuse the disjointed writing below, but I'm just spit-balling here: 

Homeworld -- Windy/Icy Planet with limited civilization.  Perhaps a failed hive city that is in ruins.  Planet is populated with the survivors of the failed colonization attempt who have reverted to feral, tribalistic ways to survive the brutal environment.  Organized into tribes that are constantly fighting over food/supplies/territory.  Tribes are named after Terran creatures & fables -- Ursid Clan (Bears) Tauran Clan (Bulls), Black Hawk Clan, White Sock Clan, etc.

Geneseed -- UM or IF, most likely.

Character -- Known for flawless execution of attack/defense patterns such as the T-formation and the 46 Defense.  

History -- Long-running feud with Chaos warband known as "The Pack"

As for the Necrons that my son will be playing, I don't feel any need to incorporate them into the background, but obviously as we play games against each other that story will unfold.  

No need to thank me, I like talking to people about their work and ironing out the fluff kinks

For the paint job I guess it depends on your skills, it is a distinct colour scheme in that I've never seen it in another Chapter, I guess not many Bears fans here.

Anyway of you feel up to it, do it

Archived