The rise of Forge World Muninn

Beardbattered

Hail brothers! Tonight I finally made the decision to make a log for the Mechanicus force that I am building as allies for my successor chapter of Dark Angels. ...Though it seems that they are quickly gaining more of my attention.

My hopes are that this log will accomplish a number of things. The most readily obvious being hobby motivation. Beyond that though I would love for this to become a place to grow the fluff behind my forge world and the greater story in store for them going forward. So when browsing through this log, feel free to leave any sort of feedback or suggestions.

So I suppose the most logical place to start would be the vague ideas that I have so far. Let's begin with their name. Muninn. Those of you familiar with Norse mythology might recognize that name as one of Odin's ravens. Muninn meaning memory or mind. There are stories about Muninn leaving Odin's shoulder to seek out bodies of the slain.

Perhaps Forge World Muninn was a minor forge world that had been overrun by some foe? My Dark Angel successor chapter may have come in and helped the fleeing refugees reclaim their world in exchange for sworn assistance among their fleet? The mechanicus forces would be tasked as battle reinforcements and data collectors once the foe is slain. Would this make much sense? I think it sounds reasonable enough, but I don't know everything about the universe at this point.

And now on to the fun stuff! The hobby progress thus far! I will start with my earlier photos and work my way to where I am currently.

gallery_72382_11636_129103.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_324558.jpg

Then...BEGAN THE WEATHERING!

gallery_72382_11636_101041.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_409638.jpg

AND THEN EVEN MORE WEATHING!!!!

gallery_72382_11636_244537.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_124976.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_433012.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_92105.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_399944.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_336779.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_161053.jpg

My first Skitarii test model.gallery_72382_11636_146296.jpg

And now Knight number 3 is on the way.

gallery_72382_11636_226076.jpg

And much more to come in the near future! Please leave as much feedback as you like.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

What do you think about the blue on the vanguard's Blessed Raiment? I feel like I should have brought it up a little bit brighter to match the armor of the Knights. It looked SUPER bright before I started to weather it up, but it looks very muted now. Maybe I'm just being overly critical.

Almost forgot to post these guys up! Didn't have much time for hobby tonight so I just slapped together some meched up counts-as scouts and sanguinary priest from the bits box, incase I ever feel like running an optimized war convocation list in the future.

gallery_72382_11636_1129812.jpg

Hey everybody! Real quick update. Not a ton done but I've got all of the base colors on and popped the armor plates on. Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to touch up the metals, do some washing and then gloss coat for decals and weathering.

gallery_72382_11636_46283.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_176145.jpg

Nice blue, bases look cool too. The Vanguard heads work really well on the Scions along with the back packs too, looking forward to seeing them painted up too. Will they be in the same scheme?

Thanks! I think that is the plan. The scheme is a bit vibrant for scouts, but oh well. We'll see how it goes, eh? I'm sort of winging it.

Been swamped with wedding planning and overtime at work so not much progress lately unfortunately. I've only had time to slap on a couple of decals and prep for chipping and weathering.

How do you guys feel about the gold admech symbols above each of the Knights heads? Think I should paint them the classic white and black? Or keep them gold?

gallery_72382_11636_757921.jpg

Superb work man! Applause. I love the Atrapos in particular - have you fielded it in any games yet? I also really like the dustwork you've done on the bases and feet of the models. That is an effect I am hoping to achieve on my own bases but haven't had the stones to try it out yet. What method do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

I also really like the dustwork you've done on the bases and feet of the models. That is an effect I am hoping to achieve on my own bases but haven't had the stones to try it out yet. What method do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd also like to know the basing/dust techniques you used. I'm working towards a War Convo myself.

It's really easy! ... But also really messy and potentially time consuming. Start with a good coverage of gloss varnish. I use multiple crumby brushes. With one brush I apply water to an area on the model that I want the pigments on. Then with another small brush I apply small amounts of pigment powder to the wetted area. When you do this it'll almost turn into paint, but once it dries the pigments can still be worked with. Once it's bone dry, you can use a larger chisel brush to feather out the powders and soften them. If you get powder anywhere that you don't want it, use a q-tip dampened with white spirits to rub it off. Once you have the look you want, slap another coat of varnish on there.

Superb work man! Applause. I love the Atrapos in particular - have you fielded it in any games yet?

Haven't had a chance to get any of them on the table yet. I wanted to wait until all 3 Knights were at tabletop standard. Hopefully I can get some pictures of them on the table soon with a report on performance.

Dude, that is NOT TT standard!

People keep telling me this... I guess I just have a slightly different definition of TT standard.

gallery_72382_11636_135615.jpg

Put these together last night before bed. What's everyone's opinion on paint scheme for these? Should I stick with primarily blue with cream highlights? Or do something to add variety?

Well, TTS is generally considered as a basic level of painting, on which the painted miniatures look good and coherent when put on the table. This means basecolors, shading and some highlight. Weathering, battle damage, chipping, modeled bases with cork or effects, freehand drawings, smooth transition of colors etc. are considered to be either pretty high TTS or pro painted. At this level the minis look very good, even individually and close-up. 

This for example is the Knight Paladin I painted and I would consider him TTS (maybe even good TTS. I am still adding details and corrosion effects etc.):

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/4c820f-1455906071.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/4a49f9-1455906143.jpg

Dude, that is NOT TT standard!
People keep telling me this... I guess I just have a slightly different definition of TT standard. gallery_72382_11636_135615.jpg

Put these together last night before bed. What's everyone's opinion on paint scheme for these? Should I stick with primarily blue with cream highlights? Or do something to add variety?

Will you only field them with your AdMech? If so, I would at least paint them similarly so they look good together.

They will be fielded MOSTLY with my admech. I may eventually make a force in my Dark Angels that can be deployed using drop pods. But my DA and admech are working in cooperation with each other, so the DA would likely be using tech constructed by my admech.

Archived