The rise of Forge World Muninn

Beardbattered

Looks good, first time I've seen images of a build in progress too. "Waist" joint looks just like the Knights which means likely just as easy to magnetise should you wish smile.png

The waist joint fits the Knight perfectly in fact.

Not sure what looks the most silly though, Knight torso on Onager legs or Onager top on Knight logs...

Heya guys! Little itty bitty update. Finished my base colors on my two onager dunecrawlers tonight. (Forgive the bits that are slightly off kilter in the photos. I was too excited to get some photos taken before bed to seat them properly on their magnets) I think they're looking pretty snazzy so far.

I've got to confess, when the leaked pictures of these models came out before the release, I HATED the look of these guys. But they've REALLY grown on me! Strangely enough they might now be one of my favorite kits in the admech range.

This will be the second time I've attempted an oil wash, and it turned out much much better than my last attempt. I did a light burnt umber wash on all of the creamy parts. Last time I was using a gloss varnish that really didn't cover well. The oil wash just seeped right through it and into the acrylic paint beneath, even after several coats. This time everything went swimmingly and I am very happy with the results.

I won't be able to get a game in for a few weeks yet due to holidays and such so I'm hoping to get some detail work done before their on the table.

Let me know what you guys think! Hope everyone is doing well!

gallery_72382_11636_129369.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_238462.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_180662.jpg

Another quick update! Tonight I got started on my chipping and scratching for my Onagers. About 5 minutes in, one of the armor panels for the legs flew off of it's alligator clip and landed directly inside my heating register on the wall. So I then spent about a half hour trying to fish it out! That hampered my progress a bit tonight, but I still managed to get more early weathering done.

Tomorrow night I'm going to try to finish the chipping and get started on the metals.

gallery_72382_11636_520359.jpg

A teensy bit more progress on Onager #1. I like the way it's looking so far, but I think it needs another point of interest on the front panel. Maybe a white stripe down the center with a raven decal on top? Let me know what you guys think.

gallery_72382_11636_321697.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_133504.jpg

The onagers look really great! Would you mine telling me how you've painted the legs and which colors you used?

I sure can. Using an airbrush I primed them in Vallejo ghost gray primer, then a good coat of badger minitaire mummy, then a spot highlight on the highest points with badger minitaire ancient bone. Before we get to the oil wash we need a few good coats of gloss varnish covering everything. Let that cure completely. Then apply a good oil wash with Windsor and Newton burnt umber. Let that dry. Clean up the wash with spirits. Then you're ready for details.

When I get home from work I'll take a picture of all of the paints I used for full clarity.

Let me know if you need any of that explained more. I know some people aren't super familiar with oils.

I'm an hod rodder so strips, hell yes. Just love the look as always. I'm going for a more gritty look and love your battle damage effects. I hope my army has the charisma yours has. I was going to save mine for the ETL, but couldn't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry the thread has been quiet for so long. I've been putting in 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there to try and keep things moving. I've managed to get one of the Onagers tabletop ready. When I come back to finish this guy up, I'm considering repainting the front arm in the tan that the legs are painted. What do you guys think?

Now onto the next one!

gallery_72382_11636_472641.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_181016.jpg

gallery_72382_11636_403764.jpg

Mind painting my Onagers for me? biggrin.png

Lol! I wish I had the time to do so! It's taken WEEKS to get this darn thing tabletop ready, and I've only put in about 3ish hours on it total. Can't wait for my time to free up in a few months.

Found this thread today, very impressed with all of the projects and awesome results! The gradient blue scheme just really works on the whole army, and draws the models together as a cohesive force. The glow effect on lighting and weaponry is awesome too, and adds a significant presence to every model. I can't wait to see the whole thing presented together, though I know how tough it is to be hamstrung with only a few hours a day of painting time; we will just have to be patient! msn-wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Found this thread today, very impressed with all of the projects and awesome results! The gradient blue scheme just really works on the whole army, and draws the models together as a cohesive force. The glow effect on lighting and weaponry is awesome too, and adds a significant presence to every model. I can't wait to see the whole thing presented together, though I know how tough it is to be hamstrung with only a few hours a day of painting time; we will just have to be patient! msn-wink.gif

Thanks so much!! It's a good thing that you guys are so patient, cuz it's another mini update. I started up the metals to finish my first 5 vanguard. Does painting by hand drive anyone else absolutely nutter butters? I love airbrushing and weathering, but for some reason, painting details and trim by hand drives straight up a wall.

gallery_72382_11636_232267.jpg

The little lady is busy the next few days, so I'm going to try to force myself to get some work done!

Looking great. Did you see the new knight box sets on geedubs web site? I just ordered the 2 knight set, which will give me my 5 that I was aiming for.

I did!  I am sorely tempted to order one, but my fiance would throttle me in my sleep for certain.  It might have to wait for the holiday season.

• 2 weeks later...

All the battle damage on the Onager is really well done! I wish I had such a delicate brush. :/ Keep up the good work buddy! smile.png

Thanks bud! I feel like I may have gone a little overboard with the weathering powders and enamels on the body of the Onager, the color got a little lost under the weathering. I'm thinking that I'll go lighter on the next one. What do you guys think?

It's been waaay too long since I've been able to log on and even check out everyone else threads, much less get any progress of my own. Since time has been so hard to find, I've been chipping away at my Dark Angels force since with my Admech I like to really take my time and do things right. The Dark Angels I'm a little more lenient with.

I hope no one minds if I post up my Dark Angels progress in this thread. Considering that the two forces are meant to be working side by side in my fluff, I'm hoping it won't raise any red flags.

gallery_72382_11641_65956.jpg

gallery_72382_11641_118253.jpg

gallery_72382_11641_75459.jpg

gallery_72382_11641_217612.jpg

gallery_72382_11641_66777.jpg

gallery_72382_11641_153864.jpg

gallery_72382_11641_81956.jpg

gallery_72382_11641_196784.jpg

I am considering trying to vow a few Admech units for the upcoming ETL V. So tonight I assembled my units of Ruststalkers in preparation. Next up I'll being slapping my second unit of Kataphron Destroyers together for the same purpose. Fingers crossed that time will free up enough after the wedding for me to participate in the ETL. I have always wanted to get in on one, but somehow something always comes up at that time of year.

gallery_72382_11636_1015742.jpg

Archived