+ 126th Grand Company - Iron Warriors +

Monstra Sumus

+ CXXVI Grand Company - IV Legio Astartes +

med_gallery_41766_11734_438350.png

Arahak slammed his pauldron against the rockrete of the bastion wall. Gunfire blazed all around him, tracer fire stitching the skies and shredding the troop lander's as they descended towards the fortress. The thick mud on the approach to the wall erupted as heavy caliber shells detonated among his squad mates, a cracked helmet slammed into the wall beside him, the pulped head rolling free. Arahak swung out and hauled himself up the heavy duty siege ladder; its thick rungs braced to support the weight of so many Astartes warriors. He was ten rungs up when a fellow legionary plummeted to the ground below; the impact crunch curled Arahak's lip inside his battle helm. His legs pushed him upwards, biceps pumping as he hauled himself ever upwards. He fired with his right hand, sending mass reactive bolts screaming up at his assailants while he pulled with his left.

The Astartes above him reached the top of the wall and leaped over the battlements into the brawl just out of sight. Arahak growled in his helm as a solid shot pinged off his backpack, a warning sigil flickering into life across his dirty visor. He blinked it out of the way and brought up his gun-camera feed. Then he was over, someone heaving against him from below. He landed hard onto the rockrete battlement and tucked his shoulder underneath him, with a barrel roll he came up firing. Two bolts soared through the air and pitched the enemy off their feet; the once gold armour of his foe, cracked and spurting blood. It took but a second to survey and analyse the battle swarming around him.

Arahak surged to his feet, firing from his hip. His camera feed jerked as he blasted golden armoured warriors from their feet. More of his brethren were taking the wall top now, he could hear their grunts of exertion and the heavy stomp of their foot falls. He could hear the flickering of their chain mail banner. The wall top was theirs; Arahak's lips split in a silent snarl as he flicked his bolter to burst fire. Streams of shells sped out and soon enough the number of enemy resisting the push of his allies had whittled to nothing. A golden warrior pushed himself up onto his elbows, blood drooling through the grille of his helmet. Arahak raised his bolter and put a round through the warriors visor. He sniffed and ejected his spent magazine.

A single warrior stood facing the tide of gun metal grey Astartes that now dominated the wall top. Missing an arm and his breath coming in haggard rasps, the Imperial Fist opposed the approaching figures with his power sword held by his side. Like starving wolves surrounding a wounded bear in the dead of winter the enemy formed a ring around him. The sounds of battle raged on around them, but it was clear the fortress wall had all but fallen and the resistance was confined to the keep. Striding from the breach at the wall top came a tall warrior clad in blood splattered battle plate, the red crest splayed across his helm misted dust and soot around his broad shoulders. The rustle of his pteruges across his iron clad thighs signaled the warriors crowding the Imperial Fist to part. Sergeant Khanat of the 126th Grand Company strode into the circle to face the survivor.

"I am Captain Veru-"

The Imperial Fists skull exploded in a shower of gore, splattering the face plates of the Iron Warriors behind him. Khanat turned to the nearest warrior and his voice hissed over the unit-vox.

"Legionary Arahak, inform the warsmith we have taken the wall. We are proceeding below. Meet Kharnasus as he comes up with the support weapons and help him secure the wall top for the arrival of command."

Khanat didn't even wait for an acknowledgement. He prowled his way down the inner stair case of the bastion wall, heading for the keep. Barban Falk would have his victory.

gallery_41766_11734_502797.png

gallery_41766_11734_706934.png

gallery_41766_11734_8848.png

gallery_41766_11734_115977.png

After a long reflection process I have thrown off my shackles and embraced the traitorous side of the Heresy. I present the start of my IVth Legion Blog. This army is in its infancy and located in both California and England. I'm hoping by the end of this year I have it fully formed and ready to attend some meet ups and regular gaming as I'll be moving to California in the near future.

Thank you for reading and seeing where I've decided to lay my loyalty.

Iron Within.

Edited by Brother Tyrax

Dude welcome to the club and great start love the subtle colour discolouration you've got there.

I'm guessing nihilian oxide?

Thank you, Karuma. It took a long time to turn-cloak but I feel my decision was a good one. 

The armour was built up with lead belcher coats, chainmail dry brushing and then dabbled with oxide and rust colours, before some light washing to give it a burnished patina. 

This guy looks awesome! That blood on the arm is a pretty nice touch as well. That's something I oftentimes forget to do when painting blood on the weapon.

Thank you Rayray! I spent more time than I care to admit painting the blood drop by drop to get it all directional. 

Well buddy you don't disappoint I'll have to try out do you now

Try? There is no such thing as to try. There is only success or failure. ;)

Dat Chainsword Do.

Iron Circle??

Thank you MakoBoy88, I am rather pleased with the chainsword. A lot of chipping went into it before I covered it in blood. :p

I eventually with have Perturabo and his Iron Circle but that is a long way down the road. I'm considering getting this army to a painted and playable level and then splitting the force in two. Have a Siege Breaker/Perturabo led force of Breachers and heavy guns allied to a Barban Falk (Golg) force with nothing but Raider mounted Terminators and a Fellblade. It'll be my "To the Gates of Terra" force. 

'To the Gates of Terra' is such a good mentality for a hobby goal. Keeping an eye on the long haul!!

I figured what better way to have an end goal than to turn up to one of the 30k Siege of Terra events that pop up with a full Iron Warriors Grand Battalion. 

Great looking model, I'll be keeping an eye on this :smile.:

If you would be so kind, could I ask for your recipe for the metallic parts (love the rusty steel) and for the free hand legion symbol :smile.:

Thank you Lord Thorn, I'd be happy to share the recipe. It's very simple so I'll snap some pictures with the next model I paint to make a basic tutorial for it. :)

Helluva start, I look forward to seeing where you go with this.

What part of California will you be moving to?

Thank you Tyrannicide, I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into this force. I'll be moving to Stockton, San Joaquin. I'm here currently but I'll be going home to England for a few months while Visa things get sorted.  

A small tutorial for Lord Thorn (and anyone else who is interested!) on how I paint my colour scheme. The freehand Legio symbol needs work but with practice it'll become easier to do.

Step 1:- Spray in Chaos Black Primer then Base Coat armour in Lead Belcher.

gallery_41766_11734_274.jpg

Step 2:- Stipple Chainmail (or equivalent) across armour plates to create a pitted surface.

gallery_41766_11734_3951.jpg

Step 3:- Wash in Nuln Oil then place Nihilakh Oxide in recesses.

gallery_41766_11734_1111.jpg

Step 4:- Dry brush Ryza Rust with almost none of the technical paint on the brush across the armour plates and edges of the model. Dry brush Leadbelcher back over it as desired in small amounts. Re-wash with Nuln Oil very lightly.

gallery_41766_11734_4867.jpg

The Legion Symbol is very simple.

1. Trace out the silhouette of the skull with Chainmail (or equivalent).
  2. Fill in the lines as shown with Chaos Black.
  3. Line the plates of the skull with Lead Belcher and wash over with Agrax Earthshade and then Nuln Oil.

gallery_41766_11734_8104.jpg

med_gallery_41766_11734_7694.jpg

med_gallery_41766_11734_26416.jpg

[Remembrance-feed spooling...]

His breath came in heavy huffs as he thundered down the hallway; bolter shots whickered past, blowing puffs of masonry from the wall behind his helmet. A flash of light washed the hallway before him and he dropped, letting the weight of his armour bring him to the ground. A muffled boom roared out as his audio buffers filtered out the melta detonation. A heartbeat later, Arahak was up and running, powering his form forward, arms pumping from side to side. He hung a left, another burst of bolter fire taking out the ground around his feet. Collapsing, his suits systems blaring habitat breach messages across his eyesight, he grunted as he slammed into the ground. He could feel blood pooling between his toes. Raising his bolter, he squeezed off six shots around the corner, hauling himself back up against the wall. Shielded from the incoming fire he shook his head. sweat slick hair matted to his forehead inside his helm.

Arahak ejected his magazine and slammed home a fresh one, the smoking muzzle of his bolter sizzling. Punching his fist into the wall he hauled himself upright as the sound of warriors approaching filled his ears. He grimaced and braced himself against the thick rockcrete. Ramming the butt of his bolter into the crook of his shoulder, Arahak waited, slowing his breathing. Then they came. Three golden armour Astartes pounded around the corner, one taking the right fork while the other two sped into the left tunnel where the Iron Warrior waited for them. He squeezed his trigger finger, three bangs rang out. The first bolt round pitched the first Imperial Fist from his feet, his visor lense shattered inwards and the back of his helmet punched out. The second Fist, now gore stricken from the first, took the next bolt round in the throat. The third bolt took the top of his head off, splashing the walls with thick blood. Arahak re-aimed as the third enemy warrior began to spin around, both fired at the same time. Arahak grunted as his elbow blew out, hot pain flaring up his left hand side. His gun camera recorded the Imperial Fist slamming backwards into the ground, a smoking crater in the center of its helmet. Stimulants flooded his body and his suits auto-medicae system began to work on the damage inflicted to his body. Arahak cleared his throat and began to limp down the hallway and back to the rest of his surviving squad.

gallery_41766_11734_15593.jpg

Touched up the eyes on the Sergeant too.

gallery_41766_11734_23382.jpg

Apologies for the different size photos but I'm not working with the best set up! All the same, hope you enjoyed the post.

Cool, thanks very much ! I've never used stippling as a technique, should I use a drybrushing brush (since the bristles are a bit stiffer) ?

Sorry for cluttering up your thread, but you're off to a very good start !

Well...Turning from the path of honour is never a cause for celebration, but in this instance it looks like the IVth will have cause for cheer at the expense of the XIIIth ;) Great brutal Warriors. Blood spatters and battle damage are really well done, and I particularly like the hazard stripes. Very keen to see what way you go for basing on these guys, I think that'll really affect their overall appearance. Keep it up brother!

I really like the oxidation on the armor. Good work!

Thank you Sol, I'm trying to give them the idea that appearance means nothing, they wear armour and use weapons, all of which are tools. Even the warriors are merely tools to be used.

Well...Turning from the path of honour is never a cause for celebration, but in this instance it looks like the IVth will have cause for cheer at the expense of the XIIIth :wink: Great brutal Warriors. Blood spatters and battle damage are really well done, and I particularly like the hazard stripes. Very keen to see what way you go for basing on these guys, I think that'll really affect their overall appearance. Keep it up brother!

Thank you Arkhan! Always a well received compliment from such a talented hobbyist. Your Ultra's are astounding! I'm planning on having them based in a trench warfare scheme, possibly pushing the Gates of Terra.

Very nice work.

Thank you Gorgoff.

PICTURE SPAM INCOMING.

Ahiga stepped out into the air, the wind whistling in his helmet grille. His boots slammed into the thick blood churned mud beneath the Stormbird and he took two paces forward. His auto-senses struggled to balance the barrage of noise and light spiraling around him. The cataclysmic battle that raged around him was the defining point in Mankind's history and he was part of it, he was there, back on Terra. He saw hundreds of thousands of his brothers advancing on the imposing walls of the Palace, the continent spanning city-castle that soared into the atmosphere above them. The ground trembled as Titan legions battled over control of the Imperial highways, he could see movement on the top of the walls, lashing firepower down into the Warmasters army as it advanced. Ahiga was born here; on the other side of the planet in the Panpacific Techno-union. He had grown up during the vicious unification wars with Mars and when his time came, he embraced elevation into immortality. Here he was, centuries later, back home to bring it to ruin. The Imperial Raptor he so proudly wore upon his pauldron all these years had been hacked at, scored and daubed with a renegades cross. An oath of defiance in the face of the Emperor.

Ahiga lifted his gauntlets and removed his helmet; sucking in a deep lungfull of polluted, radioactive air he closed his eyes. A deep sigh of satisfaction escaped his teeth and with a new found clarity he surveyed the Palace before him. Clamping his helmet to his belt and raising his battered Bolter rifle, Ahiga joined the assault on the walls. The vivid red stripe across his face was an indication to the warrior lodges of his ancient heritage and he vowed to take the blade to all those who opposed him. He was no longer a loyal son of the Emperor, he was Ahiga, Iron Warrior and first in the new ages of Mankind to scream the war prayer of the Navajjek Plainswalkers.

gallery_41766_11734_9135.jpg

gallery_41766_11734_38642.jpg

gallery_41766_11734_16191.jpg

gallery_41766_11734_30459.jpg

So, the 126th Grand Company is an ever evolving and growing organism. I'll be running a Praetor and Siege-Breaker with Pride of the Legion. 10 Man squads of Sniper Veterans, squads of Terminators and Siege Tyrants. Supported by Contemptors with Assault Cannons and Missile Launcher Iron Havocs all arrayed around a Fellblade center piece. I'll be adding Leviathans and Medusae squadrons. Really ramp up the idea that the Iron Warriors are the masters of the Implacable Advance. The Praetor will have his own command squad of Combi-plasma/Charnable Sabre Chosen to follow him around in his efforts to find enemy HQ's to murder. The Siege-Breaker will be entrenched in the Tyrant squad to allow their already punishing fire to reach horrible levels.

med_gallery_41766_11734_72048.jpg

med_gallery_41766_11734_7444.jpg

gallery_41766_11734_31443.jpg

gallery_41766_11734_34142.jpg

Edited by Brother Tyrax

Really nice and characterful, looks like you've got the force pretty well planned out!

Thankyou Pearson, I'm really trying to breathe some life into these guys. I ran into a few problems building lists utilizing the RoW for the IW. It's very lack luster for what it gives you and leaves you in a no mans land of mid way between attack and defend. It doesn't really know where it wants to be, so I figured I'd make my own interpretation of how they'd operate on the field of battle. Massed infantry lines and heavy attack Terminators all becoming a mobile meat shield for big guns. 

First half of Khanat's corpse grinders has been completed (bar basing; which will probably be an army wide project) and I'm feeling pretty good about my choice to go with the Iron Warriors.

Here is five members of II Squad, CXXVI Grand Company, IV Legiones Astartes.

gallery_41766_11734_485351.jpg