Printable gaming mat

Noxnoctis22

I'm looking for a resource where I could print my gaming mat. Something where I could print the complete map on a standard printer then assemble together in MDF boards. So I could have 2-3 sections of board with a map already on them instead of rolling one solid map on top.

All I was able to find was the map here. It's what I'm looking for but not the style of map, no more urban city scapes please...

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

That's a heck of an idea. With a high-quality print shop you could get the main pieces on thick paper, than use some kind of decoupage glue to paste them to the boards? Something like Mod Podge would probably work a treat. You would want one with a matte or, at the most, a satin finish. I think it could really work! 

Were you looking for a resource for the artwork? That might be harder. You don't really want something too photo-real, because it would look incongruous I think. The other textures that come to mind are probably all copyrighted from the makers of other game mats. 

You've basically got my idea. I'm just trying to "slim-down" what I would need to for a table to play one. If done correctly you could do 3 panels 2' x 4' and have them double sided even. A thick enough base with a high quality paper protected/covered in the right way would work great.

I could use a simple textured pattern I guess, just wouldn't want something too basic where it looks cheap. If done on standard letter size paper (8.5" x 11") you would need a total of 42 sheets of paper to cover the 4' x 6' area. You'd have extra to trim as well.

The big question is making sure the quality of the image used for mat is good enough. Enlarging something to 4' x 6' is better big.

Yeah, if it looks pixelated that would kill it. It's an interesting thought. Some game mats look like photography of actual, physical game boards. Most are simple digital 'paintings' from what I can tell. Know anyone who's good with Photoshop? Might be best to have them custom-made for the project if you can find it on the cheap.

You could look for a local company to print directly on the mdf.

http://www.directcolorsystems.com/applications/wood-printing/

Its trendy with interior designers right now. Full color even white uv ink jet. Should be easy to find companies doing 2x2 or even 2x4 sections in NY. There are shops printing on full sheets of plywood.

Its a fantastic idea. Could even router the edges and have the boards dovetail together.

Edit:  Ok maybe not so cost effective!   The online "custom" shops charge an arm and half a leg.

• 3 weeks later...

I work for a promotional product company so I'm going to tap my resources there to see what I can get.

All comes down to finding decent artwork for the gaming mat/table itself.

I doubt it would be easy to find the right image at proper resolution.

What kind of resolution the picture would need to be anyways?

I work for a promotional product company so I'm going to tap my resources there to see what I can get.

All comes down to finding decent artwork for the gaming mat/table itself.

I doubt it would be easy to find the right image at proper resolution.

What kind of resolution the picture would need to be anyways?

With an output size of 48 x 72 @ 300 dpi this is what would work...

Standard Quality

-Document Size - 12 x 18

-Pixels - 3600 x 5400

High Quality

-Document Size - 24 x 36

-Pixels - 7200 x 10800

Archived