The Wulfen Thread

Valerian

I've got one done with magnetized weapons options. Whent with 1.6mm in hands and wrists, but think 3.2mm in the wrist would be possible and better for playing.

As you can see the forearms are drilled center and most of the hands cut close to or into the palm of the model:

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a514/rgrmaddog/image_zpsuxohcwxq.jpeg

You are going to have paint rubbing problems if you are switching the claws on and off. Also, I'd like a bit stronger attraction. I might try another one with bigger magnets in the wrists. The weapons won't shake off or anything, but I'd like to be able move/pile in without worrying about where I'm grabbing my model.

EDIT:  The magnets at the shoulders are N52 1/8" by 1/32" and the magnets in the wrists/weapons connections are N52 1/16" by 1/32" for what I've used in the past.

I normally only magnetize the arms at the shoulders, although I haven't needed to deal with two handed weapons before, either. I like your solution, although it does look like it will be a bit of a pain to make sure every model of every wulfen can work with all the weapons.

Gherrick, I didn't try at the shoulder, as the model is oddly shaped at that joint to lock a certain possition in. I have no intention of doing them all as such, maybe one more. I don't want to have nothing to kit out for conversions!

Valerian, the Wulfen seem large enough to fit 1/8" (3.2mm) in the forearm and a 1/16" (1.6mm) in the hand (and both are N52 streangth and 1/32" thick). It would still require some experience/skill, and even then you'll likely have some over drilling to green stuff, but possible in my estimation.

i think its easy to get carried away with their damage potential andoverlooking the real benefit they are used for - buffing!

i played a game on sunday agasint dark angels, and whilst it wasnt the most competitive game, he was no slouch with his army.

We ran a list in prep for an event that allowed no formations etc so i used them as base elites. I used two units consisting of:

Unit 1

2 x TH/SS

1 X GA

1X Naked

1 X Pack leader

Unit 2

1X TH/SS

1 x Naked

1 X GA

1 x Pack leader

1 x double wolf claw

my list was based roughly on a blackmane list at 1750 (without scouts and long fangs) all in pods.

a unit droppoed in with 4 drop pods which i ensured i placed out of range of plasma cannons etc and aimed them at a large squad of assualt marines with a levle 2 libarian. i lot one to shooting and physic powers (the storm shield guys) and when they were charged they kicked face! had i used ragnars rules id have had all of my units in close combat first turn!

they then went on to kill most things but the buffs were great. grey hunters gaining D3 attacks on the charge with furoius charge, an extra 3"move to all phases, is great, as is extra attacks during combat! these guys help buff the army in the right ways and i think podding is the only real way to use them. i think they are ideal in a drop pod army and can be further helped by a runepriest in an adjoining pod tossing biomancy or divination spells onto them. although im unsure if you can attache a runepriest from a normal cad to the formation?

Can they charge out of the pods as they land? i mean.......you're saying if you used Blackmanes rules?

I had one where i had to cut of a bit of the pelt to make it fit between the legs, it was 4 or 5 dont remember, but dryfitting the chest on the legs is a must

Only alteration I made was putting the claws of 1 on the body of 6

Oh god, magnetizing them looks nightmarish

It's not so bad, let me refer you back to post #48 for "nightmarish" (if you can do all that, magnetizing will be easy :) ).

has anyone else when assembling these had major issues getting the chest piece to line up currently with the back as im having a nightmare of a time with mine.

One so far was a bit of a pain. Are you sure you are using the right chest, back, and leg pieces? I'm not big on following the instructions precisely, but it's going to be hard to get around using those core pieces together.

Yep using the right legs and body everything but that stupid crane foot. I've done 2 so far and it's always the chest to the back which is a nightmare

I had some small flashing on mine where it was attached at the sprue that I didn't have clipped/filed all the way down once I trimmed the flashing up they fit just fine.

I also completely agree about building these guys. Dry fitting is required and even then the torsos and legs fit awkwardly. At any rate have we come up with a consensus on loadout? I'm building the pack leader, another with claws, one axe and two hammers. I'm also adding 2 auto launchers, should I give everyone the launchers?

I also completely agree about building these guys. Dry fitting is required and even then the torsos and legs fit awkwardly. At any rate have we come up with a consensus on loadout? I'm building the pack leader, another with claws, one axe and two hammers. I'm also adding 2 auto launchers, should I give everyone the launchers?

Loadouts will certainly be varied, but I wouldn't bother putting the launchers on any of the TH/SS models. Their main purpose IMO is to prevent losing initiative by charging over difficult terrain. Not an issue for those already swinging at init 1.

Loadouts will certainly be varied, but I wouldn't bother putting the launchers on any of the TH/SS models. Their main purpose IMO is to prevent losing initiative by charging over difficult terrain. Not an issue for those already swinging at init 1.

That was my thought as well. Other than rule of cool for the pred style launcher of course.

What's the wulfen's base size?

What do you think of the idea of making truscale-ish power-armor-looking guys with appropriate weapons, on larger bases (so they will obviously stand out from the other troops), and painting them up as wolf guard? They are giant, storied warriors who run around inspiring the other guys to game-breaking acts of heroism and ferocity (using wulfen rules). Instead of being werewolves. (Am I wrong?)

"Remember Pup, the enemy does not care for if your string or your brother's string is cut. The Xenos does not see the difference in us, so that is why we unleash our Wulfen. That is why we accept our curse."

gallery_79144_11707_213653.jpg

I got my kit on friday. I also had a hell of a time getting the chest and back to fit on correctly to the leg assembly. It was nearly every one of them that had this problem. There would be just a little bit of a gap in the torso.

I found it was far easier to assemble the legs separately, join the chest together first, then attach the legs. Once the chest is together, you can see how the legs will fit into it. You get one in, and line up the notch on the other. When you glue them, all 4 pieces will have a snug fit with each other.

"Remember Pup, the enemy does not care for if your string or your brother's string is cut. The Xenos does not see the difference in us, so that is why we unleash our Wulfen. That is why we accept our curse."

gallery_79144_11707_213653.jpg

This makes me want to take mine apart and start over

Archived