SW1's Wolves

SW1

It's been a long time since I spent any time in these halls. My hobbyfoo and love for the SW's went out of the window when the last codex hit (mainly due to the wolfy wolfy wolf shenanigans). In an effort to get myself going again I've bought the new Wulfen supplement.

Initial thoughts are the production values have dropped. How hard is it to drill out the barrels and ... Lol ... But that's enough of that, this isn't meant to turn into a rant.

So hopefully this will be the start of a new army (well a recycled old one repainted) and if all else fails a practice in painting grey ready for HH wolves to hit.

So where to start? Well currently I keep trying to get back into painting models but keep burning out. I have been enjoying scenery building and that seems to be working. So rather than pulling all my SW bits out I plan on doing the odd SW as a break model while concentrating on the scenery. The hope is over time I'll start doing more and more models.

First up is a decision on which great company to go for?

Welcome back! 

I'm also trying to decide on which GC to go for but it is a difficult decision. I'm torn between the Blackmanes (free pods but a lot of tax), Ironwolves (free vehicle upgrades) and Firehowlers (lots of jump troops). The last option appeals to me as a gamer as fun to play but I think it'll get murdered in a competitive environment.

Cheers Wulfgar. Seems we're missing a few trinkets off the walls. Been decorating? ;)

I think I'm going to end up going for blackmanes as I have the pads to do it. Though I may end up having a second great company. Though I only have 3 drop pods and lots of tanks. So that may change

I'm torn between Ironwolves and Firehowlers myself.  Ironwolves for when I'm feeling shooty, and Firehowlers for when I'm feeling choppy.  Blackmanes look good on paper, but it's such a big detachment that it leaves very few points for a second detachment to squeeze in fast attack pods, fortifications, etc.  Ironwolves and Firehowlers are both small enough that there's plenty of room for that second detachment.

I don't play that much so it'll be more of a guide to forming a force rather than gaming effectiveness. Though when playing I'll avoid the mini-maxing/cherry picking from other codex type of army selection.

In all honesty getting an actual game in is more of a win than winning if you know what I mean (says the man who not had a game this edition and only a handful of games in the previous edition). ;)

@Altis - Well we should arrange a game at some point in the future. Logistics might be interesting but challenge accepted. ;)

@ Rift Blade - Its going to be interesting to see which direction I head in. I may end up trying to do a model for a few different Wolf Lords and seeing if any really inspire me. Currently digesting the different bits of fluff that's in the books.

@ - jbickb Good to see there are others returning. I think the Wolf Time is upon us!!!

So I can't decide which way I'm going with this.

Currently looking at this logically ...

- I have quite a few jump pack and bike models so part of me wants to do The Firehowlers.

- I have loads of old rhino chassis so this makes me interested in The Ironwolves

- I originally planned on doing Ragnar's GC and have 100's of the pads available plus I've converted up quite a few to be mk3 style as well. So effort wise going with The Blackmanes would be logical. However I have only 3 drop pods (currently all unbuilt). So that doesn't really allow for much use of the benefits of the formation.

- I have 30+ WG in TDA plus Logan and a converted Arjac plus loads of WG in PA so this pushes me towards doing The Champions of Fenris.

So which way do I go? Do I do more than 1 GC?

Edit:

Lol ... The main issue is making sure I don't completely ransack the hobby supplies and end up having to buy more for the HH SW's.

Here is my version of Sven Bloodhowl. I need to clean up the mold lines and add a couple of bits to him yet. I really want to do an army using the Firehowlers as a fun list. There's something about a massed assault of jump troops that appeals to me on a cinematic level.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt103/crouching_lictor/20160214_110320_resized.jpg

I'll probably do an Egil Iron Wolf as well at some point. I might even make all of the Wolf Lords at some point just for fun.

@ Wulfgar - That's a mighty fine looking conversion. I'm thinking of kitbashing one as I have enough bikes and jump pack troops to fill the maximum numbers required including the WG. I'm unlikely to use them in another GC so I'm likely to borrow the idea.

@ HG - sounds an interesting idea.

I do need a slap to not jump in at the deep end with this though. Not allowed to make myself burn out before I start!!!

Lol ... One model at a time!!!

...Seems we're missing a few trinkets off the walls. Been decorating? :wink:

Don't look at us!! I was the Wulfen!!

Welcome back, SW1!! Nice to see you around the great halls once again.

I think we are all struggling (maybe not the best word to use) to find a way to fit the new formations and such into our armies. Luckily for me, I decided to go Krom before the new book hit the streets, so I am running Drakeslayers. Plus all those special rules are enough carrot dangling in front of my proverbial cart. I hope your decision is one that brings you joy, and not pain!!

End of Line

Well I can bring betrayal at Cath when we meet, so you can get a little bit of heresy in addition to a 40k fix ;)

I'd say keep your rhinos for 30k, if you've only got 3 pods that rules out that gc too. Sounds to me like firehowlers or champions of fenris.

If champions means you get to do lots of cool characters I'd take that one :)

great sven, Wulfgar.

one thing about the chainsword is I never understood why they never used the one with the wolf-head guard. you could reproduce the company sigil on the blade by doing that!

Another thing about Sven: Thank god GW dumped the Wolves aversion to Jump packs. You know, "We only like fighting with two feet on the ground, just like Russ intended" nonsense.

Jump packs are cool and we shouldn't feel bad about using them.  

great sven, Wulfgar.

one thing about the chainsword is I never understood why they never used the one with the wolf-head guard. you could reproduce the company sigil on the blade by doing that!

Another thing about Sven: Thank god GW dumped the Wolves aversion to Jump packs. You know, "We only like fighting with two feet on the ground, just like Russ intended" nonsense.

Jump packs are cool and we shouldn't feel bad about using them.  

Thanks, Wispy! You know, that is a pretty great idea! I may have to modify him to take that into account. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for the comments. Just finished work so it's time for a beer or two and a good read of the books. I'm hoping after a good read and then sleeping on it I'll come up with an answer.

One thing I've just realised is these metal Razorbacks with the lasplas are never going to get used in my 30k force so they'll need to find a use in my wolves force. Maybe the Ironwolves have just sneaked a few bonus points? :lol:

Ok I need a slap for even thinking of this but on reviewing my model collection I can fairly easily do atleast 3 great companies if not 4 going of a GC being two of the named formations.

So ... I'm starting whatever I fancy so there will be a bit of The Firehowlers, Ironwolves, Blackmanes and Champions.

The only issue I have is how do you get wolf priests into the mix without lumping them together with other priest types?

I can see the rune priests working and also the iron priest with the tanks but how do you do the wolf priests?

Wolf priests work great with the *claws. Equip them to match (bike, jumppack, or in a transport). Pick the unit type based on your opponent, and now each unit has the mission of erradicating that unit type off the board. A bit harder to manage tactically, as I would expect the opponent to try their best to mismatch your choices. Still, preferred enemy(X) is the best non-spell buff that exists, IMO, and helps alleviate the WS3/BS3 of the *claws.

Was more a question of fitting into an army selection without being tied to the other 2 priest types. Just looking of the formations there's the rune priest one and there's two choices for accessing iron priests (with dress or tanks) but no way of adding them formation wise. So would I just use the detachment from the SW codex? Not sure if I'm missing something obvious?

Lol ... That would be rather interesting. ;)

But for Firehowlers I think a tax of 2 GH packs for some bike/jump pack wolf priests isn't too bad.

I'm also thinking of painting and gluing the pack pads but leaving the GC pads off. I can then bluetack the right pads on as and when needed.

Might e a bit difficult with some of the existing models. The other option is to paint my own company badge and do a counts as using Ragnar's GC badge.

Archived