SW1's Wolves

SW1

Well during my little sort out of parts to clear the way for current projects I've counted up 120+ bodies (50:50 mix of mk4 and SW kits) or the bodies/legs to do them. There's also 21 bikes and 3 attack bikes which will be getting some 30k love. I've already got some mk3 (well close to mk3) biker legs from a 3rd party supplier.

I also have been looking at the dreads which have been stripped. And a new shiney plastic kit has been acquired to press mould some funky bits from to add to the B@C dreads I have.

I may not be painting SW's currently but they seem to be still getting a lot of my attention.

After having a long discussion with Lord Sondar I think I'll stick to this colour of grey and technique for the wolves. It does look good from arms length with decent contrast but also stands up to a bit of a closer inspection. I was dithering about the red shoulder pad insignia. I'd painted some a dark red and some a brighter blood red. I'd kept it to different squads so it didn't look out of place. After a fair bit of discussion I've decided the darker red is too close the red/brown found on the basing and doesn't give enough contrast. So will go brighter on future squads. I'll likely go back and get everything matching at some point as well.

Ended up taking extra pics of the full 6,000 points ...

All the named Characters:

gallery_25187_11901_346881.jpg

All the Wolf Lords:

gallery_25187_11901_599480.jpg

All the Wolf Priests:

gallery_25187_11901_294866.jpg

All the Rune Priests:

gallery_25187_11901_481674.jpg

All the Jump Pack models:

gallery_25187_11901_648377.jpg

• 5 months later...

With the impending drop of Inferno my attention has once more returned to doing more SW's.

I've finally got round to getting my airbrush skills a bit better. So I'm looking at a possible repaint of some models. Possibly rebuilding the TDA to have claw/fists.

Really liking the Grey Slayers being a similar load out to bloodclaws and when upgraded becoming the equivalent of grey hunters.

Once the book drops I'll be making my mind up on what to leave and what to rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking at the direction I want my SW's to head in and the feel of 40k is overshadowed by 30k feel. So I'm going to cull a good chunk of the mk 7 out of the force. To start off with I think the jump pack troops will be a good place to start as it's almost off generic mk7. It can be reused for my DW. Then it's sifting through the rest of models and seeing what is in generic SM mk7. Not sure how much this will drop the model numbers yet. But there will be 150 ish mk3/4 + 40k SW plastics kitbashed marines added to the mix so numbers will still be fairly high.

The generic mk7 will find itself enrolled with the DW. Not sure if I'll be able to mix in the metal mk7 SW's with the 30k stuff or not?

Not sure yet where I'm setting up camp. I am due a stint with the guard but the pull of the wolves is strong.

Not 100% sure about the metal mk7 yet. The plastics are a mishmash of marks but I'm mixing them 50:50 with mk4 body to legs so they get a slightly different feel than pure 40k plastics.

The really big question is am I repainting what has already been painted? :(

• 3 weeks later...

Finally decided on how I'm modelling the mk7. Armour I'm fine with as long as the helmets are not used, so I'll ditch the bulk of my metal mk7 with maybe the odd head swap. The only exception to this will be the metal Long Fangs which I'll use as they are. There's that much additional detail on them that it shouldn't be too noticeable.

Going to build 20 each of a few Grey Slayers options (standard, bolters and shields) as a starting point.

When you say ditch, I assume you mean "set aside for another project" rather than ebaying them all?

A couple of little half beads and you would have some nice mark 5 sarum helms from all those mark 7's and mark 6 is legit... Other legions are using it.

• 3 weeks later...

When you say ditch, I assume you mean "set aside for another project" rather than ebaying them all?

A couple of little half beads and you would have some nice mark 5 sarum helms from all those mark 7's and mark 6 is legit... Other legions are using it.

I'm possibly going to ebay them unless someone makes a reasonable offer for them. I won't be doing a separate 40k and 30k SW force, so my 30k force will cover both which will save on space.

I ended up in GWS Manchester this morning while in the vicinity. I've been looking for ideas on how to make SW breachers and ended up picking up a box of the chaos warriors. Thought I'd get 16 shields in the box and you actually get 21!!! I'm also considering using the hand weapons to mix in more variety to my SW's and the warriors might loose their legs and have them replaced with mk3 legs. That will give me some alternative AA leaders. Even the standards can be vexillia.

I would have suggested mark 3 marines from burning of Prospero and a shield on the arm holding the bolter would have done the job.

I use 1p coins , could use 2p or 10p for bigger shields

I've started to properly bulk up the heads for Russ's Wolfkin ...

gallery_25187_9829_118641.jpg

Left to right we have: normal, widened and bulked up. The head is currently looking a bit bear like however I will change this by building up more of a rough neck fur texture.

The heads will be going on really bulked up Thunder Wolves this hasn't been fully bulked yet but already looks much bigger than the original ones ...

gallery_25187_9829_103254.jpg

The recently acquired a box of Chaos Warriors have started to be chopped up and almost all the parts will find their way into the force. Here's the start of a Huscarl in AA ...

gallery_25187_9829_190295.jpg

gallery_25187_9829_797960.jpg

• 1 year later...

It's been a long time brothers an sisters. I've tried to dabble in BB and Necromunda and scenery building to keep the hobbyfoo strong. But not really done much other than start sorting out some hobby bits and selling off a few other bits.

Family stuff and work has majorly pushed the hobby time to one side. I've also got an allotment a few months ago which will also sink a huge amount of my time.

But the pull of the ETL is strong. So I've gone to locate my hobby stash and it seems the young pups have managed to get hold of a lot of my painted models and played with them. I really should have varnished them. :(

So I've decided to start my Wolves from scratch. I'm not sure exactly where to start. I'm unlikely to play any time in the next year or two so these will be more for the enjoyment of painting and wanting a big army on display (if I keep them on display I'll notice if any go missing). Need to decide if I need to strip models or paint over.

It's likely to be HH themed as I have a great dislike for the super super marines which is just as strong as my dislike of wolves riding wolves. ;)

Lol ... Call me a traditionalist. :p

So I'm not sure what level of participation I'll be able to have with the ETL but the wolves have my brush. I've never failed to complete a vow and have no plans on starting now. :D

Where are we with a codex? I've picked up the book with loads of marine chapters in a while ago but is there likely to be a new codex in the near future?

Where are we with a codex? I've picked up the book with loads of marine chapters in a while ago but is there likely to be a new codex in the near future?

A couple rumors, so take with a moon sized amount of Salt.

1. All major SM chapter codex will be out before June.

2. SW vs BL box including new unknown characters.

3. SW vs Ork box for summer.

4. 13th company (non-wulfen) is back.

5. We will have successor chapters. (We don't know what happened to Wolf Spear yet)

6. SW codex will be released with new Primaris.

7. Russ is coming back.

What we know.

1. The author stated "it is the most narrative driven codex ever for the SW's".

Hi SW1, and brothers

I'm already trying to organize some sort of army to display and play. I'm also a classic and romantic so wolfen and cavalry are not my favourites.

I remember when our ranks were clearly defined

Lots and lots and of BloodClaws (Bikes, backpacks, Dissembark pods ...)

Lots of Grey Hunters to mid shooting

Not a lot of LongFangs with the Heavy artillery 

And a Venerable Dreadnought

Up to this moment I started with:

- 15+15 BloodClaws

- 5+5 longfangs

- 1 Venerable Dreadnought

- 5+5 Wolf Guard in terminator armours

- Logan Grimar

- Ragnar Blackmane

- Ulric the slayer

When I made the purchase noone toldme thaat we were going to get our codex in few weeks... so up to now I stoped because of the Primaris.

But my wish list is:

Start Collecting Space Wolves (2)

- Thunderwolf Cavalry

- Grey hunters

- Wolf Lord

Grey hunter with Wolf Banner (2)  

Iron Priest

Runepriest

Njall Stormcaller (terminator armour)

Lucas the Trickster

Canis Wolfborn

Arjac Rockfist

Leman Russ Exterminator

Stormwolf Transport (2) with magnets to be able to do both ships 

and from here ... I have no idea where to go really. My Initial Idea is to make my own Chapter... but my dislikes for vehiclesmight get in the way :/

I hope this helps you a bit :wink:

I've been running wulfenless and cavless with a lot of success in 8th if it makes you feel better! The "Cunning of the wolf" stratagem does a lot of heavy lifting within the realm of a more "classic" space wolf approach. Its been great fun.

Great to see you back though, get modeling! :D

would love to see more shots of the enlarged thunder wolf.

I've been toying with widening a Fenrisian wolf head and putting it on a thunderwolfs body, When I like the results are share it

Had a bit of a late night damage assessment of the previous ETL's completions and there's damages to atleast a model from most of the packs. My painting style has progressed over the years so trying to match up painting to different paint colours is going to be a royal pain in the arse.

I've found almost all the arms/weapons that had popped off models but there's loads of backpacks missing. I have an extensive bits box so weapons and arms are no problem to replace but backpacks are going to need sourcing. So I'll be trawling the bits sites.

So rather than let this smash my painting mojo before I even get started I'm thinking of looking for the silver lining. So I'll start from scratch which will allow me to mix in more of the different marks of armour to packs and get a more of a cohesive paint scheme.

Gutted and strong words have been had with the young pups. Think I also need to look at some decent varnish.

I've started to properly bulk up the heads for Russ's Wolfkin ...

gallery_25187_9829_118641.jpg

Left to right we have: normal, widened and bulked up. The head is currently looking a bit bear like however I will change this by building up more of a rough neck fur texture.

The heads will be going on really bulked up Thunder Wolves this hasn't been fully bulked yet but already looks much bigger than the original ones ...

I was really jazzed to see your mods to the wolves. I think they are a tad too skinny and was going to add some GS fur, but hadn't thought about broadening the head like you did.

Excellent tip, thank you for sharing.

Still trying to find the conversions to start gs'ing the rest of the fur.

I've been playing around with the models I have and think I've come up with an overall feel. I really want to model the army so it has what visually looks like a shield wall. I'll be able to use these in 30k as Breachers and Grey Slayers. But for the ETL they'll count as WG to get the right weapons load outs.

I've got a load of the SW shields and I've also got a box of chaos warriors which I'll nab the shields off as they look more like breacher full body shields. Need to get working on shaving down the chaos icons. The hand weapons will also make a nice mix to the forces overall look.

I'm currently working on establishing an allotment this year so unlikely to go racing pushing for big completions at the same time. Lol ... Will have to see if my plan survives the ETL fever I tend to get whipped into. ;)

Rummaging around before heading out to work I found what I thought was a long lost box of FW bits.

So I now have a 5 man unit Iron Hands Immortals that I can put to their original purpose of converting into Iron Priests. :D

Archived