SW1's Wolves

SW1

• 2 weeks later...

So playing around with what to paint up.

I've got a standard almost finished which I could use as a Company Ancient. Not sure what to arm him with though I do have a pointing right arm power fist that might finish off giving him a suitable look.

Trying to work out points is a bit of a ball ache with the lay out of the book. Company Ancient with Power Fist - 83 points think that's right?

At least the named characters are easy. I've got to glue Logan back together probably better off pinning him this time just in case the lads decide to pick him up again. So he's getting knocked back to black and getting a new paint job.

Not sure about the other characters, they're in a box awaiting my judgement. Tomorrow's job is sorting through everything and seeing what's ok and what's getting painted again.

Big question on my mind is does anyone have a good method of varnishing models that doesn't risk frosting?

Been rummaging around and located my grey paint, I think I've just about got enough. ;)

gallery_25187_14446_50367.jpg

I've also basecoated a few models in preparation for the start, there will be more basecoated over the next couple of days.

gallery_25187_14446_378829.jpg

I've still not finished building this guy yet but I've decided on the power fist.

gallery_25187_9829_24177.jpg

Started converting some Iron Priests from the FW Iron Hands Immortals.

Looking at the rules there seems to be points missing for the servo-arm in the index book for SW's. But there is a points value for it on the SM's set of points. I take it I just use the value from the SM entry?

Sitting infront of me are:

5 Immortals, 1 metal Tech Priest with the servo harness, 2 arm sets from the Deathwatch kit with the huge hammers, old school hand flamers, a 3rd party bionic arm kit, several SW thunder hammers, devestator serg backpacks, a few SW and SM backpacks with integrated servo-arm.

So currently playing around with these getting ready to make a vow ...

2 x Iron Priests:

gallery_25187_14446_42169.jpg

gallery_25187_14446_175988.jpg

Wolf Lord:

gallery_25187_14446_136310.jpg

Company Ancient:

gallery_25187_14446_241286.jpg

Just a few shoulder pads:

gallery_25187_14446_181901.jpg

Then there's a few metals which need some tlc:

gallery_25187_14446_378829.jpg

I just use that thermo plastic think it's sold as "instantmould" or something similar.

Currently doing a load of TDA pads. It's a bit tedious as you have to put too much gs on the pad. Stamp the detail on and then wait for it to set up a bit. Then trim away the excess without disturbing the details you want to keep. You end up getting ok at resculpting after a bit rather than starting again. ;)

Almost at the point where I'm ready to decide what to vow. :D

Love how you have used the Iron Hand Immortals and the Deathwatch hammers to make the iron priests.

And yes use te values from the index for now. If there is no entry for a priest use the SM equivalent.

The shoulder pads came out really well, I have bad results with the insta mould so I am glad it is working for you.

Are you getting MJ involved this year?

Cheers, they came out better than expected, though once you've done 20+ it gets easier. Main challenge is keeping an eye on the stamp as they slowly degrade if you don't notice it ends up being quicker to pull the gs off and start again. I struggled with doing some TDA pads as the kids got hold of the thermoplastic and most of it has gone probably up the vacuum cleaner. So now I'm having to use thinner stamps.

Really glad I didn't just vow a load of stuff as I have yet to find bits n bobs which have now changed possible model selection.

I've finished converting up a mash up of the metal and plastic versions of Bjorn with some slightly taller legs and converting a Contemptor to an Axe/Shield Dread plus also building Murderfang. The 2 other Contemptors need more parts which are in a box somewhere. There's also a few other old metal dreads that need stripping and sorting out.

So I've finally made my initial vow ...

I, SW1, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and pledge my Axe to the mighty Vlka Fenryka and vow to complete the following on or before August 1st, 2018:

Logan Grimnar ... 190 points

Njal Stormcaller ... 138 points

Njal Stormcaller in Runic TDA ...167 points

Ragnar Blackmane ... 141 points

Ragnar Blackmane ... 141 points

Ulrik the Slayer ... 133 points

Bjorn the Fell-Handed with Twin Lascannon, Heavy Flamer and Trueclaw ... 277 points

Lukas the Trickster ... 118 points

Venerable Dreadnought with a Fenrisian Great Axe and Blizard Shield ... 145 points

Wolf Priest in TDA with Crozius Arcanum and Storm Bolter ...146 points

Wolf Priest with Crozius Arcanum and Plasma Pistol ...97 points

Iron Priest with a Tempest Hammer, Helfrost Pistol and Servo-arm ... 115 points

Iron Priest with a Tempest Hammer, Helfrost Pistol and Servo-arm ... 115 points

Iron Priest with a Thunder Hammer, Helfrost Pistol and Servo-arm ... 110 points

Iron Priest with a Thunder Hammer, Bolter and Servo-arm ...95 points

For a total of 2,504 points.

Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the of the year!

Just need to get everything photographed to finalise the vow.

The duplicates are down to me deciding to shift some of the lead mountain onto my brother. So post ETL he'll have a nice surprise.

Depending on how quickly these are finished I have a few more models to get painted. ;)

Had a bit of an emergency sort out as some of the models had gone walkabout. They ended up being found in the lads room which isn't that much of a suprise.

All have now been blasted with a rattle can and are ready for painting to commence. I'm hoping my airbrush behaves itself now I've given it a deep clean. :)

I've uploaded a pic of the models but my phone won't allow me to post it, from my ETL folder.

Will have to wrestle another device from one of the kids later.

I've dug out the old paint station earlier and it was looking seriously beat up. So a light sanding and a tin of undercoat later I've got a useable place to keep the models away from the kids. Just need to knock up a temporary spray space and I'll be ready to roll. All my paint brushes have had a bit of TLC with some brush soap. Weird how getting things ready turn into a ritual as I remember doing a similar thing the last ETL. :lol:

Normally it would have been the work of an hour or so but I've done my back in so it's taken most of the day. Going to have to be little and often rather than a few long sessions. :(

Sound advice Dantay. :)

Been taking it slow and steady. I've never been confident painting gold so I decided to use it as the main detail colour. I've now finished:

Logan Grimnar ... 190 points

And well on the way to finishing:

Really want to keep my momentum going. I've found I can't sit and paint for more than a few minutes. Though I can half sit/half lean against the side in the kitchen and paint quite well. Also dusting off the paint station means I can stop/start as and when the back will let me.

Will get some pics taken an uploaded later on. How's everyone else doing? Do we have any more possible recruits?

My brothers joined forces with the Wolves!!!

He's got a box of the 40k game with the Primaris Marines in. We've converted up the Captain to become a Wolf Lord with a head swap and the blade has been changed to a SW one. There's also a few runic charms added. :devil:

I'm enjoying painting this year. It's the first ETL I've mounted my models on wire and I'm finally organised in my painting bench. The batch painting of similar models is also working well so I have less paint wastage.

In the next couple of days I'll have all the Wolf Priests done. Though I may pause finishing them to block in all the silver metals on the other models so I can have them all washed and ready to detail up.

My brother is fired up to get cracking with his model on Friday. :D

Well done on the recruitment. Another brother wolf joining the fold.

I'm pretty blown away by how much stuff your taking on for the challenge. Also how much stuff you have done in the past. It's very impressive.

Well done on the recruitment. Another brother wolf joining the fold.

I'm pretty blown away by how much stuff your taking on for the challenge. Also how much stuff you have done in the past. It's very impressive.

Cheers, it's not that many models, they just happen to be points rich.

I'm having to take a bit more time over them as they were previously painted and then the kids got hold of them. I've not stripped, just sprayed a very thin rattle can layer then airbrushed the basecoat on them so having to do very thin layers to avoid detail loss.

The fresh models are so much easier to paint up. I'm looking forward to Bjorn and the converted Iron Priests the most. My brother is getting the SW plastic dread kit as he wants to have a plastic/metal/epic Titan kitbashed Bjorn as well. He's good at rummaging through my bits boxes :D

If the back improves I may try challenging for the top dog position. I've already assembled another 20 TDA Wolf Guard, 30+ PA Wolf Guard, 40+ Long Fangs, several Dreads and there's more characters as well. Lol ... If I get through that lot then there's a lot more GH's, BC's and scouts to go plus my collection of metal TDA's.

Best of luck with your back.

Sounds like a ton of models to me (it took me about a year to do 10 guys). I look forward to seeing them on here. Especially those Iron Priests.

Your brothers kitbash plans sounds elaborate and intriguing.

I too have suffered at the tiny hands of children shredding parts off the models. Bless em.

Archived